Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Ambrose signs for Palace

Comments

• Options
    see eye liner
  • Options
    Notice how Warcock had a dig, "he's been playing for a struggling team, we'll put the smile back on his face" Yep, struggling maybe but we still took 6 points out of 9 against your shower of shite. The smile on my face comes at the end of next season when we swap places!
  • Options
    Ambrose CAN play football, the question is if he WILL play football. Maybe Warnock can do the trick, however I would caution Crystal Palace fans to investigate his 'prodigal son' style loan spell at Ipswich Town last season. Crystal Palace fans may be advised to go on an Ipswich board to get the lowdown on his most recent spell of sustained football.
  • Options
    Now he's gone I think it's fair enough to say that the board didn't want to keep him, for the same reason as the fans ie he never puts in a tackle and his wages would be quite high.I reckon Palace was one of his few/only options if he didn't want to move and wanted to stay in The Championship. Where else only QPR or Watford? Can't see QPR wanting him and even Watford would have meant a lengthy drive round the M25 each day.

I reckon he's picked his best option.
  • Options
    "Ajax made Rommerdahl one of their best players, proving he had the talent if played properly. Who's to say the same wont happen with Ambrose."

Possibly, but Ajax also play in a league where everyone gets 5 minutes on the ball and there's nowhere near as much physical contact. Ambrose would probably do well at Ajax aswell.
    No doubting there both good players, maybe just not in England.
  • Options
    Rommedahl is very capable on the International stage and regularly one of the best players in the Danish team, just not so suited to the English game.

Ambrose was frustrating and never quite good or commited enough.
  • Options
    Rommedahl's not suited to any game/div where pressure is on. He's even faded at Ajax. Never put in a performance in a major tournament past the second round match, if Denmark reach the quarter finals he's shockingly shite. A whole load of pointers why no big club in the four major leagues touched him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ColinTat[/cite]Rommedahl's not suited to any game/div where pressure is on. He's even faded at Ajax. Never put in a performance in a major tournament past the second round match, if Denmark reach the quarter finals he's shockingly shite. A whole load of pointers why no big club in the four major leagues touched him.

I watch Denmark regularly, he is a better player than we ever saw at Charlton and I suspect its because the Danish coach knows how to exploit his strengths best. His pace is a constant worry for any defence.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Problem is it was pretty much his only strength. Compared to other wingers, Thomas was far more skilful, a better dribbler and no worse with his final ball.

He was also probably the worst player I can remember when it came to bravery, well having a complete lack of it. Players like Thomas and Ambrose didn't through themselves into challenges or go for the ball when they could get clattered at times, but Rommedahl made them look brave.
  • Options
    Ambrose can't have two good games in a row he will score two and set up a couple then the next game he would be quiet and not get a touch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the best we ever got out of Ambrose were two very good halves of football, once when he turned the game for us away a Pompey as a 2nd half sub and once at home vs Ipswich. Other than that we never got anymore than fits and starts and not once did I come away from a game thinking he'd bossed it from start to finish. It's unfair to compare him to a Kinsella or Parker, but perhaps someone like Morts, as an attacking falir player, is a better comparison. People, quite rightly, talk of him being unplayable at his best - can anyone seriously say they ever saw that from Ambrose?
  • Options
    I don't ever remember him being that good. Ipswich is always mentioned, but he just scored a couple of goals and didn't make many mistakes. Can't remember him being outstanding.

Just disappears too much for me, never expected him to be fantastic and boss the game. He never pushed his game up a level, no better than he was when we signed him and arguably worse.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]I think the best we ever got out of Ambrose were two very good halves of football, once when he turned the game for us away a Pompey as a 2nd half sub and once at home vs Ipswich. Other than that we never got anymore than fits and starts and not once did I come away from a game thinking he'd bossed it from start to finish. It's unfair to compare him to a Kinsella or Parker, but perhaps someone like Morts, as an attacking falir player, is a better comparison. People, quite rightly, talk of him being unplayable at his best - can anyone seriously say they ever saw that from Ambrose?

Whatever ....... last season, he did score 9 goals from midfield and provide a fair number of assists, let alone for those chances missed by others.

And it was increasingly obvious he was carrying injury, that eventually required major surgery.

Having said that, despite an understandingly slow start to this season after his operation, he failed to deliver/fit in - here or at Ipswich.

But on his day, he showed skill, flair and quick thinking. He's just not a Nicky Bailey type player.
  • Options
    Like I say Oggy, he only had his day twice in four years, in my opinion and you could argue, from that, that every dog has his day.

If you read my post again, you'll see I'm not compairing him to Nicky Bailey. I'm not trying to deny his goal scoring record last season either but, to continue the cliches, it only takes a second to score a goal and too often that second in the game was his only meaningful contribution. Some strikers can get away with that (but even then usually only at a lower level) but it's just not enough from a midfielder in the modern game. Take Blackpool away as an example. he played a good portion of the game centrally in a 4-4-2. He scored 2 goals - great! - but we were totally overrun in midfield and we conceded 5. Not all Darren's fault, but he defeinitely made the least effort, of the midfielders, to help get a grip on the game had he done more in that department, his 2 goal contribution might have been a match winning one.

And, like I said, for all the 'potential ability' how often did you think he gave opposition defences a torrid time?
  • Options
    A legend ...... in his agent's mind.....
  • Options
    Has this been confirmed by Palace yet?
  • Options
    Don't think so.
  • Options
    A legend...........in his own mind!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Has this been confirmed by Palace yet?

It has, although it was back at the beginning of June, not sure I've seen anything from Ambrose yet though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Has this been confirmed by Palace yet?

It has, although it was back at the beginning of June, not sure I've seen anything from Ambrose yet though.

maybe he's too embarassed? ;0)

i liked ambrose and don't hold a grudge against him at all, though i'd much rather he'd not gone to palace. he could be a great signing or he could be a mistake. i'm not sure there's a middle ground with him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just confirmed hat he's signed a 2 year deal at palace.

Good f**king riddance.
  • Options
    thank feck for that
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]thank feck for that

I'll second that, a lightweight waste of a shirt..
  • Options
    Reading through the report on the OS he gets named "the star" twice and "the ace"

Are you sure? I mean really
  • Options
    Scored a 25 yard free kick for palace today.
  • Options
    I asked a couple of mates who went to Palace v Plymouth on Saturday how Ambrose did. The response:

"He didn't really do anything."

Some things never change...
  • Options
    Scored two yesterday against Torquay in the cup.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]"Ajax made Rommerdahl one of their best players, proving he had the talent if played properly. Who's to say the same wont happen with Ambrose."

Possibly, but Ajax also play in a league where everyone gets 5 minutes on the ball and there's nowhere near as much physical contact. Ambrose would probably do well at Ajax aswell.
    No doubting there both good players, maybe just not in England.
    That's an oversimplification, and the league has been increasingly competitive the last few years (though maybe the big 3s decline has helped this). The point with Rommedahl is that you either play to his strengths or you don't play him. We had 4 managers that failed to do that. Even now Ajax have a number of players that would wander straight into our best sides of recent years. A big bit of top management is fitting the right people to the right job. Not sure what you're basing the lack of physical contact on: the likes of Davids and Seedorf didn't suddenly start charging around hammering everything in sight when they left Amsterdam, you know.
  • Options
    Interesting Rommedahl isn't doing so well now though, didn't PSV loan him out? Has he lost confidence or was he never that good in the first place?

I think he just never suited English football and not many managers would have got the best out of him. We couldn't afford to have a player like him in midfield, so we had to play 4-5-1/4-3-3 to get the best out of him, but even in that formation he had bad games.
  • Options
    i found it funny how he won danish footballer of the year, the year after we got rid of him....