Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THE 'OTHER' TAKEOVER THREAD (FOR PROPER CHARLTON)

Comments

• Options
    Can i just say there may actually still be NOTHING going on!
  • Options
    I don't know about the figures, but neither the Telegraph nor the Guardian do this kind of story off its own back. The words that have been printed are strikingly similar and it all bears a strong whiff of press releases.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Can i just say there may actually still be NOTHING going on!

you may.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Can i just say there may actually still be NOTHING going on![/quote]

No, it will upset everybody
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]I don't know about the figures, but neither the Telegraph nor the Guardian do this kind of story off its own back. The words that have been printed are strikingly similar and it all bears a strong whiff of press releases.

The Grauniad and Torygraph articles are identical - they've either bought a syndicated story, or just printed the same press release word for word.

They've not even been arsed to check the OS, let alone trawl through all the non-information on here.
  • Options
    I don't know Oggy, i suspect a journalist and member on here may have had something to do with the story in at least one of them.
  • Options
    wow in the guardian ? must be total bollooxx then.
  • Options
    Fair enough, AFKA ..... but both The Grauniad and Torygraph articles are identical, word for word.

The same reporter wouldn't normally be employed by both of them, so it would appear the article is bought in.
  • Options
    I agree, looks like a Press Association job (not that i understand these things)
  • Options
    It was on the news on Radio kent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    probably a press release
  • Options
    Not suggesting for one moment that there is nothing going on but I do still find it hard to believe that apart from the "Peter Varney lead consortium" thing we continually read there has not been one single genuine hint or leak as to where or who the real money is coming from.
  • Options
    how would we know if genuine? Theres certainly been rampant gossiping etc
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I agree, looks like a Press Association job (not that i understand these things)

Maybe you should do a course ; - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Not suggesting for one moment that there is nothing going on but I do still find it hard to believe that apart from the "Peter Varney lead consortium" thing we continually read there has not been one single genuine hint or leak as to where or who the real money is coming from.

Yeah i was thinking that but then i realised how well kept the new sponsor and shirt have been and think everyone is being secretive after the Zabeel situation, which imo is a good idea.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]how would we know if genuine? Theres certainly been rampant gossiping etc

I take your point raz but realistically do any of us genuinely have a scooby about the prospective owners apart from the speculative banter on here ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]how would we know if genuine? Theres certainly been rampant gossiping etc

I take your point raz but realistically do any of us genuinely have a scooby about the prospective owners apart from the speculative banter on here ?

Still fishing hey SHG : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Not suggesting for one moment that there is nothing going on but I do still find it hard to believe that apart from the "Peter Varney lead consortium" thing we continually read there has not been one single genuine hint or leak as to where or who the real money is coming from.

Yeah i was thinking that but then i realised how well kept the new sponsor and shirt have been and think everyone is being secretive after the Zabeel situation, which imo is a good idea.

Agreed the new shirt deal has been a well kept secret but is that because its an "in house" thing for both parties with no real outside curiosity from anyone whereas a takeover causes far more interest generally and I presume involves a lot more bodies i.e. Firms of accountants, banks, solicitors where no real loyalty or opposition to a leak or gossip might come. Just surprised we havn`t heard anything concrete by now thats all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Thats fair comment Henry but who ain`t genuinely curious and not a little impatient ?
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    but realistically do any of us genuinely have a scooby about the prospective owners apart from the speculative banter on here ?

I think it is becoming increasingly clear that virtually NO ONE has any idea who the money men behind it are. Whether some see that as acceptable or not is entirely up for debate, but i think now its a situation that everyone is going to have to live with, whilst crossing their fingers and toes that their intentions are correct, and that their credentials and wealth are acceptable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What we do have is round the clock insatiable need for any crumb of information or mis-information.
    Surely the club should understand this and spoon feed us news, on the hour every hour 24/7 ..... ?

Next time I buy a house, I'm going to insist that my lender, estate agent, land registry and solicitor give me an update at least once a day, every day for the 3 months it takes for the sale to go through.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Thats fair comment Henry but who ain`t genuinely curious and not a little impatient ?

Certainly I am. Think it is amazing that the names have been kept secret unless they have already been mentioned and we've not realised.
  • Options
    the ability to maintain this level of secrecy must point to foreign money I feel.
  • Options
    Can I just say that my comments are based on genuine surprise that the new investors identity has not leaked into the public domain by now. Practically nothing from the highest government to the local chip shop can keep things hush hush these days. I am not suggesting its a bad thing just that I am surprised.
  • Options
    Wasn't it always Curbishleys policy to keep things quiet until they were a done deal
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]the ability to maintain this level of secrecy must point to foreign money I feel.

or a small collective where not many people are involved
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]With the greatest respect, someone is posting we are only supposed to have 20m debt not 40m. No offence but are you half-sharp, mate? We were relegated from the PL 45-50m in debt (admitted at the time), sold players to pay off a chunk of it, but have still been spending more (on wages etc) that we've earned ever since, ergo the debt's been rising not falling every week/month/year since then. I am surprised it's quoted at only 40m to be honest, I would have thought closer to 60m myself.

The club have said (quite recently as well, sometime last season) it's around £20m, and the annual report from last December/January says that's made up of around £14m - the money borrowed from the directors, ie "friendly" debt and the rest of the £20m is made up of 2/3/4 loans. Since then Derek Chappell gave the club £500k. Still nowhere near £40m, pretty sure we are nowhere near £60m in debt.

The £30m the SLP was talking about I think is the money the likes of Murray have invested, and they may well sell the club for nothing meaning they get none of it back. That's not debt, that's just the money they've put in over the years, and they hoped when selling the club to at least make it back.
  • Options
    "Can I just say that my comments are based on genuine surprise that the new investors identity has not leaked into the public domain by now. Practically nothing from the highest government to the local chip shop can keep things hush hush these days. I am not suggesting its a bad thing just that I am surprised."

The Ashes started today, and we all know who the first Yorkshire Captain to go to Australia was, although he never departed from Liverpool.
    Doesn't that just take the American biscuit. It's enough to make Fat Boy Slim join the Sex Pistols. I'm gonna get Status Quo to write him a letter.

Lunch anyone ?
  • Options
    ?
  • Options
    More cooking hints than Nigella Lawson.