Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official Ashes 2009 thread

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Pontings boat race at the end - brilliant! Took his time to go and shake hands when the game was up, didn;t it?

That will REALLY hurt!

And it should, I'd be distraught in his situation - he knows that a win was there for the taking and to be held up by Monty Panesar (Test average 5.50) will rub it in all the deeper, but his reaction is exactly why he's a great Test batsman, deep down he'll regard this draw as a bit of a defeat and react accordingly. We need a few players with that kind of determination, it might make him the type of bloke you wouldn't want to go for a beer with, or sit next to at work, but it motivates him. Aussies say that these type of players have a bit of dog or mongrel in them, we may regard that as an insult, to them it's a compliment and that is the difference between the two teams.
    Fair points all.

He's still a (unt though.
  • He's moaning now about "timewasting".
    Of course the Aussie's never use gamesmanship do they ?
  • yep , if we'd needed 60 off 6 overs to win or 25 mins bowling , do you think they'd have got through their overs as quickly as they did .... exactly!!
  • Dodged a bullet there, big time.

The Aussies here are gutted but trying to put a brave face on it by saying that they smashed us - which they did to be fair.

First thing I would do if I were a selector would be to ring Trescothick and BEG him to come back for these remaining four Tests. He is a world-class batsman and with him and Strauss opening with Cook at three (drop Bopara who looks way out of his depth) our batting would be much stronger.

Second, get Harmison in for Monty who was awful with the ball and never looked like getting anyone out all Test. Swann was not much better but at least he can offer something with the bat and put in 80 odd runs.

The bowlers as a group, including Freddie, overdid the short stuff and need to get back to bowling maidens and building pressure.
  • My wife isn't talking to me!
  • [cite]Posted By: Sideways[/cite]My wife isn't talking to me!

And thats bad because..........................?

;-)
  • Same 13 with Harmison added for Lords.
  • Bopara was unlucky, a shocking second innings decision to send him on his way and he battled bravely in the first innings and took several hits against some short-pitched bowling. Without his 30 odd I doubt we'd have made 435 in the first innings.

What we need to remember for Lords is that Test batting is about occupying the crease. I'd make Englands top six/seven watch how Australia batted, very deliberate, few risks, rotating the strike well and keeping the score ticking over all with the deliberate intention of setting a high total.
  • Flintoff doubtful for thursday. Having a scan on a knee.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite] Without his 30 odd I doubt we'd have made 435 in the first innings.
    Agreed, we would have probably got around the 405 mark.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Without his 30 odd I doubt we'd have made 435 in the first innings.[/quote]
    Agreed, we would have probably got around the 405 mark.[/quote]

We'd have scored a lot less than that...
  • Can't see any chance of a home win without Freddie - need his bowling and batting to compensate for the lack of quality in Cook, Bopara, Broad etc
  • although the Lord's site says the 2nd Test is sold out if you go into the buy tickets you should be able to get some tickets for either the 4th or 5th day
  • Without strike bowlers, like harmi, we will be left with bowlers who would be a good 1st or 2nd change but not the full ticket for bowling out decent batting line ups, such as broad and the spinners, no downer on them but they are not front line bowlers. You wouldn't expect to get a talented opener, like myself, out with the likes of riacardo or 1905, change bowlers at a stretch, if they improved their batting they may be worthwhile but otherwise not.
  • Without strike bowlers, like harmi, we will be left with bowlers who would be a good 1st or 2nd change but not the full ticket for bowling out decent batting line ups, such as broad and the spinners, no downer on them but they are not front line bowlers. You wouldn't expect to get a talented opener, like myself, out with the likes of riacardo or 1905, change bowlers at a stretch, if they improved their batting they may be worthwhile but otherwise not.
  • Thats easy for you to say (X 3).
  • Is that our "Get out of jail" test used up then!?

As for the sportsmanship stuff - all teams have done a bit of that in all sports and I am sure Mr Ponting has got his side to do some in the past?

Aussies did have a fair few overs to get Monty or Andersen out as well.

Onto the home of cricket - Australia's favourite test venue to visit!
  • As for the sportsmanship stuff - all teams have done a bit of that in all sports and I am sure Mr Ponting has got his side to do some in the past?

See the Old Trafford Test from 2005 when their 10th wicket partnership held on for around four/five overs. I don't recall England moaning at the Aussies for time wasting then...

His bowlers had around 70 deliveries to get one of Anderson or Monty out, that's more than enough time, if he wants to moan, I suggest that his bowling attack should be the recipients of his ire.
  • We have to move forward from here and realise that when we knuckle down the Aussie bowling attack is as toothless as ours, unless we put ourselves under too much pressure. Most of our bats got a start and should feel they let the team down, roll on lords and a chance to turn history on its head with an England win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Got back from Cardiff yesterday lunchtime great few days.

Few pointers :

- Yeh well done Panesar you managed to score 9, however his bowling was f*cking dire - surely can never be considered again this series.

- Anderson/Broad - Seems to me unless the pitch helps them out they are pretty clueless, simply not capable of bowling at the top of off stump to keep the pressure up

- KP - Needs to learn to keep his mouth shut, e.g the interview in the NOTW

- Flintoff - Needs to continue going out to bat with a smile on his face like the first innings, think it summed up the other bowlers when he had to bowl so many overs after a few recent injuries, looks like we've paid the price now and hes out for the second test
  • GET IN !

Just had a phonecall from SKySports,
    Won 2 pairs of tickets for Thursday & Friday at Lords !!

Not sure I can do Friday, promised a customer I'd be in Dartford at 11, so theres a chance they may be going spare............

Anyone interested in 2 freebies for Friday..........

The tickets are meant to be being "biked" to me now, will let you know when I get them...........
  • Sorry, Tickets gone for Friday.
    If you want to shout at someone, I gave them to...........
  • christ. i dont follow cricket but would have asked if i had seen this! congrats and what other lucky bugger got the spares.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]christ. i dont follow cricket but would have asked if i had seen this! congrats and what other lucky bugger got the spares.

Going with SoundAs tomorrow, He was let down on his Saturday ticket at the last minute........
    & I can't really tell you who's taken Fridays as everyone will shout at him..........

;-)
  • Altho if he doesn't phone me.............
  • "HE" phoned me..............

;-)
  • Paul you are a legend you just put a smile on my face the size of which i aint had for months what with everything that has gone on over the last month or two this really means alot cheers again buddy!! who cares if the forcast is for rain just to be there will be amazing!!!!

oh yeah i won...

he he

;-)
  • oh well done adam. you deserve it.

Have you asked the FPO yet tho?