Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Turner

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]We won't get any money will we? He signed for Brentford after us so if anyone gets any money it'll be them won't it?

We were entitled to a share of the fee when Brentford sold him on to Hull (for £300K?), but, by all accounts, decided not to take a pittance then, but to gamble instead on a share of a future move - 25% between us and Brentford, apparently.

The question is whether or not we have since cashed in on that option.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]We won't get any money will we? He signed for Brentford after us so if anyone gets any money it'll be them won't it?

We were entitled to a share of the fee when Brentford sold him on to Hull (for £300K?), but, by all accounts, decided not to take a pittacne then, but to gamble instead on a share of a future move - 25% between us and Brentford, apparently.

The question is whether or not we have since cashed in on that option.

Most likely all a load of rubbish or someone getting the wrong end of the stick and we'll get nothing.
  • Options
    We did a deal with Brentford when they sold him, so they didn't have to pay anything to us at the time for them selling Turner.

Hence why we're due a cut of any profit Hull sell Turner for.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]We did a deal with Brentford when they sold him, so they didn't have to pay anything to us at the time for them selling Turner.

Hence why we're due a cut of any profit Hull sell Turner for.
    Do you know, or are you guessing?
  • Options
    How I understand it from how it's been reported by the clubs and media over the past 3 years.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Oohahhmortimer[/cite]there's a player or two going in the other direction as part of the deal so we're gonna get rumped by moody valuations
    beginning to look like the offical price tag is coming in at £6M, so I make you right
    http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/New-boy-Turner-is-bargain.5605311.jp
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Brentford Paid Charlton 3 installments of £10k each = £30,000.

Brentford then sold MT to Hull for £350k plus an 'add on' of another £25k = £375,000.

Charlton got a small 'clice' of that deal (15% i believe), and then both Brentford and Charlton negotiated another deal with Hull for MT if he was sold on again(i believe Charlton originally had a 30% sell on clause if Brentford sold MT this was renegotiated to 15% and then CAFC got 15% OF THE NEXT DEAL TOO). 15% of the initial fee to Brentford minus the £375K, and then Brentford give 15% to Charlton. Plus Brentford and Charlton get 15% of any other 'sell ons' that Hull receive from Sunderland for MT.

For Brentford this has turned out to be a good deal, plus Charlton who will probably receive a good price too for bringing him on through their academy.

It's just a shame the deal is 'undisclosed' but with an initial fee and possibly players and add ons involved, a final 'transfer fee' will be difficult to put on the deal.
  • Options
    So DBee, are you saying that Charllton get 15% of Brentford's 15%? That doesn't add up to much...
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    [cite]Posted By: DBee[/cite]Brentford Paid Charlton 3 installments of £10k each = £30,000.

Brentford then sold MT to Hull for £350k plus an 'add on' of another £25k = £375,000.

Charlton got a small 'clice' of that deal (15% i believe), and then both Brentford and Charlton negotiated another deal with Hull for MT if he was sold on again(i believe Charlton originally had a 30% sell on clause if Brentford sold MT this was renegotiated to 15% and then CAFC got 15% OF THE NEXT DEAL TOO). 15% of the initial fee to Brentford minus the £375K, and then Brentford give 15% to Charlton. Plus Brentford and Charlton get 15% of any other 'sell ons' that Hull receive from Sunderland for MT.

For Brentford this has turned out to be a good deal, plus Charlton who will probably receive a good price too for bringing him on through their academy.

It's just a shame the deal is 'undisclosed' but with an initial fee and possibly players and add ons involved, a final 'transfer fee' will be difficult to put on the deal.

errrrr right
    errrrm, so if the deal can be pinned down to be 8 million from Hull to Sunderland, how much will that be in squids for us according to the above formula?
  • Options
    £8,000,000 - £375,000 = £7,625,000 x 15% = £1,143,750..... plus 15% of any add-ons in the Sunderalnds deal.

Approximately ;-)

Cheers for the info DBee.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]£8,000,000 - £375,000 = £7,625,000 x 15% = £1,143,750..... plus 15% of any add-ons in the Sunderalnds deal.

Approximately ;-)

Cheers for the info DBee.

OK, good, and thanks for doing the sums, I am assuming that we make about a million quid from the deal. if i am right, and we take in to account other summer moves re Hudson and Gray then we have presumably been able to keep the wolf from the door for a while.
  • Options
    Andrew Mills, possibly his finest hour. Lets never again take any side swipes at him

Mills Negotiated The Sell On Clause to Hull - Were in for a £1M!
  • Options
    Was just going to post this myself, but was Mills actually involved?

I thought Curbs sold Turner, and that Mills arrived as one of the three wise men along with Dowie and Reed - or is that wrong?

And if he was involved, please can I be the first to blame him for us not getting a bigger cut...
  • Options
    I hope we didn't sell the option after Mills left the club. Be interesting to see if the club say anything.
  • Options
    I would like somebody at the club to confirm this before we celebrate. Mills may well be a bit of a self-publicist!
  • Options
    Maybe the reason why the club were playing down the amount of money that they'd make from Turner was deliberate - no point telling the footballing world just as you are signing players that you've just delved into the settee and found £1m (or so).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I would like somebody at the club to confirm this before we celebrate. Mills may well be a bit of a self-publicist!

Not sure it will be, both Hull and Sunderland have said the fee was undisclosed. Hull probably don't want fans to know both us and Brentford are making at least £1m each.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AllLeftFoot[/cite]Was just going to post this myself, but was Mills actually involved?

I thought Curbs sold Turner, and that Mills arrived as one of the three wise men along with Dowie and Reed - or is that wrong?

He wasn't here when we let him go, but he was here when Brentford sold him on to Hull.

That's when Mills/Charlton got involved again and (apparently) negotiated this 'extra' sell on clause.

Whether this clause still existed when Turner signed for Sunderland this week is up for debate, but I really don't see how Brentford bought it out. It's nothing like the Spurs/3rd party/Bent deal that happened.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think the fact that we signed 3 players yesterday and didnt lose any speaks volumes that this was true and that we were due the million squid.

I was led to believe that we may have to lose 1 of our players yesterday if the Takeover had not materialised by then,

we lost Fleets and Moots who i dont think were the players who were indicated that may have to go
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Paddy Powell[/cite]but I really don't see how Brentford bought it out

It's more likely that some deal be struck with Hull and Brentford rather than Brentford alone.

The contract clause has a potential value and could be bought out if we needed the money. Turner suddenly became a valuable asset last year when he showed he could cut it in the Prem. We have been short of money so we approach Brentford &/or Hull and negotiate a price to have the clause bought out.

I'm not saying it has just that there is a scenario possible.

We may never hear the extent of the windfall if any. I would expect though the club to acknowledge that some money came our way, even if they can't specify the full extent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    £1,143,750.

Otherwise known as a 'Pardew'.
  • Options
    The Undisclosed thing is nothing to worry about, all clubs have to disclose the Actual fee to the Football league in case of events such as these. So as previously mentioned above we are entitled to 15% of whatever the actual transfer fee was so about best part of a cool £1m. :-)
  • Options
    Parky has confirmed that we got nearly £1mill out of the deal, and it sounded like it was very important money to get into the club. Result all round.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=34780&headline=Charlton

Parky confirms it here. Seems we've definitely got a decent amount out of it, says £1m like we were hoping. He doesn't specifically say its £1m, but it sounds like it's a good amount.
    CHARLTON will receive around £1million as part of Michael Turner’s transfer from Hull to Sunderland.

“Turner was my first signing when I was Hull manager and it’s bizarre how it’s turned out,” said Parkinson.

“When I signed him we were haggling over a fee with Brentford. They had a sell-on fee with Charlton and we talked Charlton into saying they wouldn’t take the fee this time but they’d take it the next time.

“That reduced the amount we had to pay to Brentford but it’s strange how it’s worked out.

“It’s good for Charlton. In our particular situation the injection of money couldn’t have come at a better time.”
  • Options
    Things keep getting better and better for Phillip.
  • Options
    funny old world - and Andrew Mills who apparently did the negotiations between us and Brentford and Hull at the time is now at Brentford.
  • Options
    Result!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Interesting article here, talks about the Inter links/loans etc:

Turner
  • Options
    Sounds like a nice grounded lad, forgot he went to Italy with Reg's son.
  • Options
    The FA doing wonders again! Who remembers Osei Sankofa's 'frivolous appeal'?

Stop wasting my time