Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do you tip delivery drivers? (2009 thread)

Comments

• Options
    if its me and you use Ocado i accept all major credit cards and larger vouchers..
  • Options
    ha ha ha if you ever come by my house adam then you'd deserve a tip! Gatwick area!
  • Options
    I begrudge tipping anywhere.
  • Options
    I think you have to draw the line somewhere. I've got no objection tipping a cabby on a long-ish journey (ie. not if the fares only 4-5 quid), my hairdresser or the pizza delivery bloke as they've always been the norm. But you can't go tipping everyone. Would you tip the Comet driver for delivering your tv? Or the Ikea bloke for delivering your wardrobe? Probably not.
    At work do you tip the DHL guy for delivering your parcel to you? Do you tip the stewardess on the plane for delivering your food/drink?
  • Options
    Jeez, you lot should trying living over here, it's a bloody nightmare, you even have to tip doormen at strip clubs, not that I go to strip clubs.
  • Options
    You wouldn't tip the postman every time he puts a letter throught the door, would you? Or the bin men, every time they took all your crap away. Or a traffic warden every time you get a ticket.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Never shopped on the internet as when it comes to fresh produce they almost certainly give all the old crap to those who cannot choose for themselves!

As a grumpy old man I tip if I receive service. If a waiter/assistant etc serves me with a demeanour that suggests I am worse than the dogshit on their shoes then I exercise my right as a consumer and keep my money firmly in my pocket. On the other hand if they make the experience pleasant they get cash in hand so THEY get it rather than an unscrupulous crooked employer.
  • Options
    So, 12 years on. Has people’s attitudes and habits changed?

I tip the weekly shopping delivery driver and any food take away drivers, but I don’t tip parcel deliverers such as DHL, Hermes etc
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Tipping is for when you receive exceptional service.

I do tend to tip substantially more when I'm on holiday though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No tips from me that's their job. I never got tipped for doing a good job in local government, indeed we weren't allowed to accept gifts. 
    What did you do in local government?
  • Options
    Does giving coins to a delivery driver increase the chances of COVID transmission ?
  • Options
    Having worked in supermarket retail for a long time I find the idea of tipping the delivery driver bizarre tbh. 

If you tip in a restaurant, for example, it would be fair to assume that all the tips are split amongst the person that cooked the food, the person that served the food and the person that did the washing up after.

It takes a massive team to get your shopping to your front door you can't tip them all.  I never heard a delivery driver moan about lack of tipping, although they complained about almost everything else. 

In my mind it would be like tipping the cashier in the supermarket.  I suppose my view isn't that you shouldn't tip the driver, more why would you tip the driver and no one else?
  • Options
    Does giving coins to a delivery driver increase the chances of COVID transmission ?
    Depends where you’ve put them beforehand!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Depends where you’ve put them beforehand!
    Your hand for starters...and the hand of the person that gave them to you...and assuming you are not chucking the coins to the driver, the distance rule was probably disregarded when you give the tip
  • Options
    I’m not American, so don’t tip delivery drivers from supermarkets, I will occasionally do it through the app on Deliveroo or Uber Eats, but none of that tip money makes it back to the restaurant, who probably have earned it more, then the surly bloke in a bash up Micra bring me my chicken from Slims 
  • Options
    We don’t have groceries delivered but I would tip if we did. I tip the deliveries we do get a pound or two. Although we seem to have less and less cash in the house so sometimes it might be a handful of small coins or nothing if we have no coin to hand.
  • Options

I tip the weekly shopping delivery driver and any food take away drivers, but I don’t tip parcel deliverers such as DHL, Hermes etc
    But why do you tip them ?
    What makes you think they need to be tipped ?
    You are already paying delivery charge for your shopping

If you collect the takeaway, do you tip the woman who hands over the food to you?
    Do you tip the lady who scans your shopping in the supermarket ?

I only tip the hairdresser if happy with the cut (and a quid for yourself) and the Uber driver if he leaves me alone and doesn't try and speak to me.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

If you collect the takeaway, do you tip the woman who hands over the food to you?

I only tip the hairdresser if happy with the cut (and a quid for yourself) and the Uber driver if he leaves me alone and doesn't try and speak to me.
    Which almost certainly goes to the shop/restaurant and doesn't go to the minimum wage delivery driver.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Having worked in supermarket retail for a long time I find the idea of tipping the delivery driver bizarre tbh. 

If you tip in a restaurant, for example, it would be fair to assume that all the tips are split amongst the person that cooked the food, the person that served the food and the person that did the washing up after.

It takes a massive team to get your shopping to your front door you can't tip them all.  I never heard a delivery driver moan about lack of tipping, although they complained about almost everything else. 

In my mind it would be like tipping the cashier in the supermarket.  I suppose my view isn't that you shouldn't tip the driver, more why would you tip the driver and no one else?
    I agree with this but tipping rules are arbitrary anyway so will carry on as I am. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Which almost certainly goes to the shop/restaurant and doesn't go to the minimum wage delivery driver.
    You mean except the delivery fee goes towards paying their wages.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Blimey, I thought I was an outliner not spending any cash since the turn of the year! 

Feel sorry for the kids, their piggy jars been raided rotten tipping delivery drivers the last few months 
    You realise they're paid to deliver... That's literally their job, their not waiters or waitresses working to keep you happy throughout your dining experience!
    What kind of monster doesn't tip the delivery driver?

They're providing a service to you because you can't be arsed to go and pick it up. If you can afford the food delivery, you can surely afford to tip the guy who's driven it to you. 

So you'd tip the waitress who's carried your food 10 metres from the kitchen to your table but not a guy who might have driven 10 minutes to your house?

The delivery fee often charged by places goes to the restaurant, not the driver so why not tip the minimum wage guy a couple of quid?
    They're paid to deliver. Waiting staff are paid to provide an enjoyable dining experience not just carry food back and forth. They have to clean tables, serve drinks be friendly throughout, despite often being treated like cack by some customers, they're often also split between all waiting staff and the kitchen.

I tip for good service, not for just doing your job. 

Fortunately I've not felt the need to tip a single person in over a year. We don't get takeaway junk often either. 

But it's mainly because I haven't been anywhere. No restaurants, no cafés.

The Barber gets a tip though, purely because I'm scared that if I ever forget he'll go Edward Scissor hands up top and make my hair look worse than it already does.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

But you wouldn’t tip the cashiers or shelf stackers, the latter those who packed the shopping. I also doubt the delivery drivers for major supermarkets are on minimum wage, they’re certainly not at Asda and are on slightly more than those working in store. 
  • Options
    As a caveat to my general non tipping, I do adhere to the tipping conventions of the country I am in, if I travel abroad.
  • Options
    The only people I tipped was years ago when I had a farmshop and regularly went to Spitalfields to buy my produce,Basically non-tippers had their"tickets "at the bottom of the pile and waited all day.Also the cart minder,the parking organiser would be responsible for where you parked your van,need I say more.All good fun though at 3am.
  • Options
    I have had deliveries from Tesco and Iceland since last March and haven't given any tips. It didn't even occur to me that they should be tipped, as it is their job and I'm paying for delivery anyway. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    That's not tipping though, it's a bribe.
    Its a compulsory tip,the porter will doff his cap in thanks,and your goods will be next to your van in no time,dont do it,make sure you have a pack lunch with you.