Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do you tip delivery drivers? (2009 thread)

Comments

• Options

I use to work for Deliveroo part time 5 years ago before I went to Uni and would say roughly 1/7ish people tipped. I think that’s pretty low to be honest, if the service is good then don’t see why people can’t tip a little bit particularly if its pissing down or a Friday night etc. I use to be happy when I got even a £1 tip but then again all I was spending my money on was going to the pub.

Sweeping generalisation alert, but my experience was the younger people in their 20s would very rarely tip but often felt they then had to explain it by saying things like ‘sorry I don’t have any change’.  You don’t have to tell me that ffs! 

The slightly older people in their 40s or 50s tended to be much friendlier and more likely to get a tip.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    If I’m honest I’ve never really understood the rules around tipping. Waitresses and waiters definitely unless there’s a service charge. Maids in a hotel at end of stay. Cab drivers although I can never quite work out why I do. Bin men if I leave out something other than the norm as a sweetener really. Occasionally on a whim a delivery person or team but not groceries.

I once asked the bin men if they would be prepared to take a few items that normally wouldn’t either go in the bin or should. I think it was some old plasterboard and bits and pieces. I said I’d give them a drink. The reply was and I paraphrase “ Yeah mate. We’ll take anything. Last week we took a dead horse”
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    So, 12 years on. Has people’s attitudes and habits changed?

I tip the weekly shopping delivery driver and any food take away drivers, but I don’t tip parcel deliverers such as DHL, Hermes etc
    But why do you tip them ?
    What makes you think they need to be tipped ?
    You are already paying delivery charge for your shopping

If you collect the takeaway, do you tip the woman who hands over the food to you?
    Do you tip the lady who scans your shopping in the supermarket ?

I only tip the hairdresser if happy with the cut (and a quid for yourself) and the Uber driver if he leaves me alone and doesn't try and speak to me.
    Which almost certainly goes to the shop/restaurant and doesn't go to the minimum wage delivery driver.
    But you wouldn’t tip the cashiers or shelf stackers, the latter those who packed the shopping. I also doubt the delivery drivers for major supermarkets are on minimum wage, they’re certainly not at Asda and are on slightly more than those working in store. 
    I've never once ordered from a supermarket so my opinion is only based on takeaway delivery drivers.

It's a personal choice anyway, there's no right or wrong here.
  • Options

I use to work for Deliveroo part time 5 years ago before I went to Uni and would say roughly 1/7ish people tipped. I think that’s pretty low to be honest, if the service is good then don’t see why people can’t tip a little bit particularly if its pissing down or a Friday night etc. I use to be happy when I got even a £1 tip but then again all I was spending my money on was going to the pub.

Sweeping generalisation alert, but my experience was the younger people in their 20s would very rarely tip but often felt they then had to explain it by saying things like ‘sorry I don’t have any change’.  You don’t have to tell me that ffs! 

The slightly older people in their 40s or 50s tended to be much friendlier and more likely to get a tip.

Do deliveroo take a percentage of the tip? If someone tips on the apps I'm working on the corporation take a percentage of the tip which is wrong imo. You are tipping the individual giving the service not giving the corp even more money.
  • Options

Do deliveroo take a percentage of the tip? If someone tips on the apps I'm working on the corporation take a percentage of the tip which is wrong imo. You are tipping the individual giving the service not giving the corp even more money.
    No, all goes to the drivers and just added to your pay slip. To tip on the app you used to have to do it when you ordered which was a bit silly to be fair, tipping before you’ve got your food. Maybe thats changed now i’m not sure.
  • Options
    My general rule for deliveries.......if you pay for delivery.....then don't tip.

But a delivery charge is probably not going to the minimum wage driver anyway. 
    Possibly......but I'm not paying twice.
  • Options
    Barber - yes
    Taxi - yes
    Takeaway guy -yes
    Grocery and parcel delivery - no, it's never even crossed my mind
    Waiter - in a proper restaurant, not in a pub (not quite sure of the logic though)
    Mail and Bin men - never. Expect them to be salaried and don't know it's the same people throughout the year
  • Options
    My bin men get a case of beer every year.

Cuts out the middleman.
  • Options

when you say good service, do you mean putting the food that someone else has made into your bag, driving to the house on your app, and taking the food out of the bag ?

Not sure that deserves a tip.
  • Options
    If I’m honest I’ve never really understood the rules around tipping. Waitresses and waiters definitely unless there’s a service charge. Maids in a hotel at end of stay. Cab drivers although I can never quite work out why I do. Bin men if I leave out something other than the norm as a sweetener really. Occasionally on a whim a delivery person or team but not groceries.

I once asked the bin men if they would be prepared to take a few items that normally wouldn’t either go in the bin or should. I think it was some old plasterboard and bits and pieces. I said I’d give them a drink. The reply was and I paraphrase “ Yeah mate. We’ll take anything. Last week we took a dead horse”
    Who tips with a dead horse?
    Jeez some people.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do tip in restaurants and usually in cash. When my husband worked in hospitality, tips that were made by credit card were subject to tax being deducted, but  cash tips weren't taxed.
  • Options
    MrWalker said:

Who tips with a dead horse?
    Jeez some people.
    I think he usually just flogs ‘em but Muttley perhaps?
  • Options
    If a service charge isn't being applied in a restaurant then I'll ask the waiter/waitress/server/whatever makes you feel better, if they'll receive all of the tip seeing as they are the ones that actually provided me with the table service I'm seeking to pay/tip for. If they say no then chances are I wont tip. If it goes directly to them then I will.

Deliveries are handled slightly differently and tends to be a judgement call on whether I believe they are a full time employee carrying out deliveries or whether they are doing extra work to make ends meet. Anyone turning up in staff uniforms get no tips. Everyone else gets asked if they're just a delivery driver. If so, here, have some cash to go off on your merry way with.

Have never used Just Eat, Deliveroo or any of those other charlatans.
  • Options
    I do tip in restaurants and usually in cash. When my husband worked in hospitality, tips that were made by credit card were subject to tax being deducted, but  cash tips weren't taxed.
    All tips cash & card should be subject to tax , not my opinion at all but that’s how it is now.
  • Options
    How do people that don't use cash get around tipping someone? Do you strike up a conversation and swap PayPal details?
    In a restaurant? Add the tip via the card machine
  • Options
    How do people that don't use cash get around tipping someone? Do you strike up a conversation and swap PayPal details?
    It tends to be a case of using the Gratuity option on the card machine. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Aha, but that circumvents my only tipping if the money goes directly to the person waiting my table rule  :)
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    In a restaurant? Add the tip via the card machine
    Sorry, same as my reply to @Dazzler21 above.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I use that in restaurants all the time, it would never occur to me to use it anywhere else.  

Tipping is such a personal thing isn't it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Aha, but that circumvents my only tipping if the money goes directly to the person waiting my table rule  :)
    You see for me, that is avoiding the reasons in which I am tipping in a restaurant.

You're tipping for the whole experience, not just the waiting service. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

when you say good service, do you mean putting the food that someone else has made into your bag, driving to the house on your app, and taking the food out of the bag ?

Not sure that deserves a tip.
    Well yes, fine its not hard but the pay I was on was pretty poor and Deliveroo were notoriously bad as a company with the drivers so tips were most welcome. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    You see for me, that is avoiding the reasons in which I am tipping in a restaurant.

I get that, mate, but I'm tipping for the table service and want to see my money go direct to the person that has brought me everything to my table, makes sure I'm well on my way to ordering a second bottle of red and always engages with a smile  :)
  • Options
    I've had Americans tip me £10, £20, £30 for no reason whatsoever apart from having a chat with them. Legends.

And when the arabs start coming over and flooding knightsbridge during their summer, they bring their rolls of 50s and fly their sports cars over to race down sloane street. They pay for a £4.80 fare with a £50 note and wait at the window for the £45 and the all important 20 pence 😂

It's a culture ting.
    We were friendly with a German couple on holiday (lasted a couple of days), but after a meal I left a tip and the German lad kept taking it off the table and forcing it back to me.
    I thought he was joking at first, but he was actually getting angry with me and saying you should never tip these people (in a derogatory way). I was stunned.
    We didn't go out with them again.

Personally, I tip in restaurants, barbers, cabs and £1 to our take away delivery man.
  • Options
    I was working in India with my boss for a while with SG Bank.

During our first weekend the office arranged for a tour of some local sights (still a few hours drive away) - and we stayed overnight in a pretty swanky hotel.
    Our driver for the weekend told us that he had a BnB type place booked while we were in said swanky hotel but in the morning we actually saw him sleeping in the car in the carpark. This made me feel pretty awful and I discussed with my boss about giving him a decent tip accordingly.

My boss was a proper tight-arse (not surprising as his mum was Scottish and his dad a Yorkshireman  :smiley: ). I had suggested the equivalent of a £100 tip each but my boss was saying it was way over the top (in percentage terms) considering his likely pay. I argued that the tip should reflect what his 'service' was worth to us - and take into account the fact that he had slept in the car while we were lording it on expenses......but he wouldn't have it. My boss made me agree to tip him a max of £20 each.

When the tour was over - we thanked the driver and I promptly pulled out £100 (equiv) and gave it to him saying "This is from me as a thank you".

I'm not sure whether I preferred the look of surprise and delight on the driver's face....or the look of anger and embarrassment on my bosses face...just before he dived into his wallet to match my £100.
    I have no doubts that my boss claimed it back on expenses anyway.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I get that, mate, but I'm tipping for the table service and want to see my money go direct to the person that has brought me everything to my table, makes sure I'm well on my way to ordering a second bottle of red and always engages with a smile  :)
    When going to a restaurant I will always have some cash with me for this very reason. Bill paid for on card, tip passed directly to waiting staff in cash.
  • Options
    I don't mind tipping when an employee does something which is beyond what might be reasonably expected in their job description.

So if I'm enjoying a meal in a busy restaurant and just starting to think we ought to order some more wine but I keep putting it off because I'm busy talking and hoping someone else will do it.

But the waiter or waitress is already coming over to ask us if we need another before we have to worry about it. 

That sort of thing.
  • Options
    I've had Americans tip me £10, £20, £30 for no reason whatsoever apart from having a chat with them. Legends.

And when the arabs start coming over and flooding knightsbridge during their summer, they bring their rolls of 50s and fly their sports cars over to race down sloane street. They pay for a £4.80 fare with a £50 note and wait at the window for the £45 and the all important 20 pence 😂

It's a culture ting.
    We were friendly with a German couple on holiday (lasted a couple of days), but after a meal I left a tip and the German lad kept taking it off the table and forcing it back to me.
    I thought he was joking at first, but he was actually getting angry with me and saying you should never tip these people (in a derogatory way). I was stunned.

Personally, I tip in restaurants, barbers, cabs and £1 to our take away delivery man.

It's a culture ting.

You mentioned the war didn’t you ?
    Achtung Herr Covered End for you the tipping is over
  • Options
    If I’m honest I’ve never really understood the rules around tipping. Waitresses and waiters definitely unless there’s a service charge. Maids in a hotel at end of stay. Cab drivers although I can never quite work out why I do. Bin men if I leave out something other than the norm as a sweetener really. 
    Google Maps Terrifying footage shows BODIES dumped on rubbish bin  Travel  News  Travel  Expresscouk
    SHGs bin after a weekend.