Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do you tip delivery drivers? (2009 thread)

12346»

Comments

• Options
    I never tip anyone. It is the employers job to pay the staff, not mine.
  • Options
    I am a soft touch 

I tip barber,waiting staff,cabs,take away deliveries and would definitely go out of my way to tip staff if I am in a part of the world where living standards are comparatively Lower eg the Caribbean, India 
  • Options
    Joelinton tipped me 50p a couple of weeks ago. Waaahhhooooo.
  • Options
    My son delivers for Tesco, you don't need to tip and the drivers aren't expecting one.  He does get some at Christmas from his regular customers, and there are apparently some of the older customers who do things like give out cans of drink and he says he has one customer who is a Jehovah's Witness who gives out a little plastic bag to all the drivers which has a printed sheet of religious preaching and a few Heroes or Celebrations chocolates inside!
    The Lord gives in mysterious ways.
    *giveth
  • Options
    edited April 3
  • Options
    edited April 3
    RedPanda said:
    I played golf in Miami a couple of weeks ago and my receipt in the pro shop included a $3 "gratuity" I didn't know about until after I'd paid. 

Even some self service petrol pumps and checkouts in USA ask if you want to tip. Really.

In '94 I went to New York with a mate, he'd been there a few times and said what the score was on tipping.
    We were in a pool hall one night and I bought a round but did not give a tip, the next round took a long time coming as we/I did not tip.  My mate quite rightly said to me "what did I say about tipping in a bar?".
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    I played golf in Miami a couple of weeks ago and my receipt in the pro shop included a $3 "gratuity" I didn't know about until after I'd paid. 

Even some self service petrol pumps and checkouts in USA ask if you want to tip. Really.

In '94 I went to New York with a mate, he'd been there a few times and said what the score was on tipping.
    We were in a pool hall one night and I bought a round but did not give a tip, the next round took a long time coming as we/I did not tip.  My mate quite rightly said to me "what did I say about tipping in a bar?".
    You tipping?
    Bad enough trying to get you to buy a pint
  • Options
    No tips from me. They are just doing their jobs.

Tipping is optional here in Brazil. 
    However, too many times we have been questioned to the point of one occasion the manager in the restaurant coming over!!!!! leading to my wife diplomatically 'justifying' why we are not paying.

• Options
    edited April 3
    I never tip anyone. It is the employers job to pay the staff, not mine.

I had trouble my employers paying me let alone receive a tip B)
  • Options
    No tips from me. They are just doing their jobs.

Tipping is optional here in Brazil. 
    However, too many times we have been questioned to the point of one occasion the manager in the restaurant coming over!!!!! leading to my wife diplomatically 'justifying' why we are not paying.

I've come across this a coule of times.  "What about a tip?" malarkey.  I usually just tell them always put the milk in before the sugar.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had a big package delivered yesterday by dpd, (two kitchen chairs needing assembly) .. the driver was a very cheerful, young African guy, I offered him a tip which he refused .. I presume this is company policy, or he is extremely well mannered .. I rarely offer a tip, but he carried the package up my driveway with no problem and i m o that was worth a small remuneration  ..
  • Options
    Had a big package delivered yesterday by dpd, (two kitchen chairs needing assembly) .. the driver was a very cheerful, young African guy, I offered him a tip which he refused .. I presume this is company policy, or he is extremely well mannered .. I rarely offer a tip, but he carried the package up my driveway with no problem and i m o that was worth a small remuneration  ..

That's my view as well. Two recent examples - I had a load of gravel delivered (50x20kg bags on a pallet) - the guy could only take the fork lift so far and helped me unload it from the pallet. Another delivery was for a very large coffee table made out of oak railway sleepers. It must weigh 200kg and they took it through to exactly where I wanted it (where it will stay!!).

Both occasions resulted in good tips.
  • Options
    edited April 13
    I used to be a pizza delivery driver when I was a student in late 90's. I was paid £25 for working 5pm to midnight, whilst driving my own car. I also got £1 per delivery and averaged about 15-25 deliveries, probably covering around 50 miles a night. The tips were a bonus and averaged about £10 for the shift.
    All payments were in cash!

On occasion somebody would have ordered a meal deal at £9.95 and upon handing me the tenner, would say, "You can keep the change." Straight faced I would retort, "Are you sure?" and straight faced they would say, yes of course!" To say I was incenced, would be putting it mildly. I've always thought, if you're going to tip, make it relevant, not a piss take!

A quid is being cheap on a £20+ takeaway, £2 ok, £3+ a nice gesture. 
  • Options
    I used to be a pizza delivery driver when I was a student in late 90's. I was paid £25 for working 5pm to midnight, whilst driving my own car. I also got £1 per delivery and averaged about 15-25 deliveries, probably covering around 50 miles a night. The tips were a bonus and averaged about £10 for the shift.

On occasion somebody would have ordered a meal deal at £9.95 and upon handing me the tenner, would say, "You can keep the change." Straight faced I would retort, "Are you sure?" and straight faced they would say, yes of course!" To say I was incenced, would be putting it mildly. I've always thought, if you're going to tip, make it relevant, not a piss take!

To be fair in today's money that's £1000 per shift.
  • Options

If its £19 and you've got a score, you're not going to tip the delivery driver more than a quid.
  • Options
    PWR

No.
  • Options
    edited April 15
    We went to Capri in the med and went on a little boat to see the blue grotto. We were told by tour rep in no uncertain terms not to give any tips.  At the end of the session the botman stopped 30 metres off shore and kept saying tips tips tips  After 20 mins we relented and coughed up