Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do you tip delivery drivers? (2009 thread)

Comments

• Options
    I've had Americans tip me £10, £20, £30 for no reason whatsoever apart from having a chat with them. Legends.

And when the arabs start coming over and flooding knightsbridge during their summer, they bring their rolls of 50s and fly their sports cars over to race down sloane street. They pay for a £4.80 fare with a £50 note and wait at the window for the £45 and the all important 20 pence 😂

It's a culture ting.
    We were friendly with a German couple on holiday (lasted a couple of days), but after a meal I left a tip and the German lad kept taking it off the table and forcing it back to me.
    I thought he was joking at first, but he was actually getting angry with me and saying you should never tip these people (in a derogatory way). I was stunned.
    We didn't go out with them again.

Personally, I tip in restaurants, barbers, cabs and £1 to our take away delivery man.
    A wealthy pal has a sister who lives in Italy. She gets the hump when he gives a generous tip when he is over there, but funny enough neither she nor her husband or their friends have any objection when he gets the bill for the table on a regular basis (to the point where on occasion they are taking their time over the last of the wine, waiting for him to put his hand in his pocket).      
  • Options
    Grub on the way,  son will collect from door, so no bloody chance tonight. 
  • Options
    Back when we went anywhere and paid for anything with cash
    Taxis - might round up the fare, more to save pissing about than thru any sense of worth
    Barber - maybe near christmas, I'd known the geezer for about 35 years, always of the view if he thought his work was worth more money he'd ask for more money - there was never a tariff displayed on the premises, and it was never an issue.
    Waiting staff - usually, unless they're actually pony. When we found out that lots of chain/highstreet names policy is to keep chunks of the gratuity/service charge/add ons when paid by card we always ask the server if they get to keep all the tips or does the company rip em off?  If the company dips in then we give the server cash directly.
    Postmen, binmen, never met any expectation they were looking to get a tip/christmas box
    It's probably been 30 years since either turned up before we were all out to work when they delivered/collected.
    One of us previously lived 400 yards from the local delivery/sorting office on probably the cushiest round any of the delivery operatives could wish for - short front gardens, couple of densely packed estates, minimum walking, no climbing.  Our regular postman (for it was a fella) definitely split up the addresses across different days of the week - Took a while to realise but for several years we got no more than 3 deliveries a week - he'd come round our street most days but our post was bundled up days at a time.  Slippery git also gave up bringing out parcels, he just brought the "Sorry sucker you were out, come get it from the office at your own inconvenience" red card.  Caught him out twice over the years, days we were WFH, heard the post land on the mat, picked up glut of envelopes and the red card - no knock/ring on the door natch - 20 minutes later he's walking back down the other side of the road and when presented with the card "Oh maybe your doorbell's not working" - "can I have the parcel then?" "Errmmm"
    "You ain't brought it, have ya?"  "Errmmm, sorry thought you'd be at work" 
    Soppy twat bought a hatchback off us with a knackered head gasket, just before we moved away as well - Karma 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    So, 12 years on. Has people’s attitudes and habits changed?

I tip the weekly shopping delivery driver and any food take away drivers, but I don’t tip parcel deliverers such as DHL, Hermes etc
    But why do you tip them ?
    What makes you think they need to be tipped ?
    You are already paying delivery charge for your shopping

If you collect the takeaway, do you tip the woman who hands over the food to you?
    Do you tip the lady who scans your shopping in the supermarket ?

I only tip the hairdresser if happy with the cut (and a quid for yourself) and the Uber driver if he leaves me alone and doesn't try and speak to me.
    Which almost certainly goes to the shop/restaurant and doesn't go to the minimum wage delivery driver.
    But you wouldn’t tip the cashiers or shelf stackers, the latter those who packed the shopping. I also doubt the delivery drivers for major supermarkets are on minimum wage, they’re certainly not at Asda and are on slightly more than those working in store. 
    I've never once ordered from a supermarket so my opinion is only based on takeaway delivery drivers.

It's a personal choice anyway, there's no right or wrong here.
    Ah sorry, thought you were replying directly about supermarkets as it was bold. Agree on delivery drivers from takeaways. 
  • Options
    With all the savings we've been making using Ocado, it would be shameful of us not to pass on some of that to their delivery drivers:

"You’re already saving on Ocado Price Promise. 

You are. We’ve done our checks and your last like-for-like shop cost you less from Ocado than it would have from tesco.com – you saved 5p.

You’ve really got this money-saving stuff in the bag. Nice one."
  • Options
    edited April 2
    It’s impossible to tip parcel delivery drivers. They’ve gone before I get to the front door, leaving the parcel on the front doorstep.
  • Options
    So...15 years on front starting this thread, I still use the Tesco delivery service and haven't tipped the driver once!
    Tight as ares*oles! 
  • Options
    Genuine question R.E tipping

Maybe just me but why is it needed in certain jobs and not others.

A waiter brings you food so you tip them, a delivery driver brings your food/shopping so you tip them

But is that not there job description, you don't tip a sales assistant for restocking shelves or a chef for cooking your food.

If someone goes above and beyond there job description then fair enough, but if someone is just doing what is on there job description why should you pay extra because there employers pay less
  • Options
    So...15 years on front starting this thread, I still use the Tesco delivery service and haven't tipped the driver once!
    Tight as ares*oles! 
    Never tipped the supermarket delivery person. We already pay a premium for the delivery. 
  • Options
    I always add a £1 tip for the Uber eats/deliveroo rider.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Genuine question R.E tipping

Maybe just me but why is it needed in certain jobs and not others.

A waiter brings you food so you tip them, a delivery driver brings your food/shopping so you tip them

But is that not there job description, you don't tip a sales assistant for restocking shelves or a chef for cooking your food.

If someone goes above and beyond there job description then fair enough, but if someone is just doing what is on there job description why should you pay extra because there employers pay less
    With a waiter though, you likely aren't tipping just him/her. Most restaurant tips generally go into a pot and are shared between everyone. So if you enjoyed your meal out you're tipping the waiter, chefs, guy who made the drinks etc.
  • Options
    edited April 2
    I think if we tip delivery drivers its only fair that they pay us when we make their job easier and accept a parcel for a neighbour. :/
  • Options
    edited April 2
    Tipping delivery drivers as in ones that deliver parcels? Never even crossed my mind to be honest. When did that become a thing? 
  • Options
    Only the one's from King Kebab, Kebabe and Pizzarelli.
  • Options
    Tip the barber and bloke who delivers direct for the Chinese when we get it. Not really used Just Eat for a while, but never tipped them
  • Options
    edited April 2
    I used to do Deliveroo whilst I was at uni. It was a flexible work when you want deal so I'd go out of an evening on a bicycle to make some money. Was paid a fixed £3.50 per delivery, some hours you could make 4 or 5 deliveries, others 0. I was actually tipped quite reasonably (It was a relatively affluent part of London), maybe in a third of deliveries and resultantly the tips made quite a difference to my income. Nowadays, Deliveroo have added more extra fees (none go to the driver) than before so people are more reluctant to tip as they are already paying a premium to get it delivered. 

I always try and tip a quid or two unless the delivery service is really poor because it can make quite the difference.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Tip the barber and bloke who delivers direct for the Chinese when we get it. Not really used Just Eat for a while, but never tipped them
    So this barber delivers food as well?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Gribbo said:
    So this barber delivers food as well?
    No, but the barber is also my mechanic funnily enough. He don't get tipped for the mechanics
  • Options
    My tip is not to leave my parcels on an exposed front doorstep, in view of the World, if they value the integrity of their windscreen...
  • Options
    tax drivers if they are not rabid fascists or bigots (very rare these days)
    barbers (as above but hairdressers tend to me more liberal).
    waiters (but only if service charge is not included)
    the person who delivers from my local takeaways (if he/she is quick) 

No one else. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No tips from me. They are just doing their jobs.
  • Options
    So, 12 years on. Has people’s attitudes and habits changed?

I tip the weekly shopping delivery driver and any food take away drivers, but I don’t tip parcel deliverers such as DHL, Hermes etc
    Another 3 years on, I don’t tip any of them. F*** em 
  • Options
    Seriously, everything I ever have delivered now has some form of delivery charge/ service charge added onto, so I’m not paying more. Spare cash around the house is now even more of a rarity 
  • Options
    edited April 2
    On similar lines; years back the senior people at the firm I worked for would always be getting gifts - cases of wine, bottles of whisky, hampers, slap up meals, etc - from clients as a "thank you", especially at Christmas but also at the end of a big job if the client was pleased with the work done. Obviously they hadn't actually done the work, people like me had, but they used to get the gifts and would rarely dish them out.

And now I've reached a senior position myself, I get fuck all. Not even a card at Christmas.

It seems the world is now a more tight fisted and miserable place - and reading some of the miserable and tight-fisted comments on here only confirms it!
  • Options
    Takeaway food I tip for delivery, but bot as much as i would tip at the table. Everything else, never crossed my mind. 

Maybe thats why the amazon drivers keep leaving parcels in plain sight on the front doorstep but just far enough from the door that the porch doesn't cover them so they get wet. 
  • Options
    If there’s a delivery charge … no tip from me
  • Options
    I played golf in Miami a couple of weeks ago and my receipt in the pro shop included a $3 "gratuity" I didn't know about until after I'd paid. 

Even some self service petrol pumps and checkouts in USA ask if you want to tip. Really.
  • Options
    My son delivers for Tesco, you don't need to tip and the drivers aren't expecting one.  He does get some at Christmas from his regular customers, and there are apparently some of the older customers who do things like give out cans of drink and he says he has one customer who is a Jehovah's Witness who gives out a little plastic bag to all the drivers which has a printed sheet of religious preaching and a few Heroes or Celebrations chocolates inside!