Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Please buy your poppies......

167891012»

Comments

• Options

WayneK said:

iainment said:

cafctom said:

There is no genuinely good reason to not wear one, other than being an awkward leftie for the sake of it.

You're wrong.
    What's your reason?

There are many people who are uncomfortable with the close relationship between this charity and militarism. This is not the time or place to enlarge upon that. But I also wonder if the idea that unless you wear a poppy you are unpatriotic is causing a degree of resentment.
    Personally, I am extremely unhappy that people who gave so much in service of our country have to rely on charity, in fact I find it deeply shaming. But my main reason is that my mother ran food to the partisans in the Italian mountains during the war. Her bravery was incredible, but of course her role in the course of events goes unremarked. So I will donate but not wear a poppy, just my personal compromise.
    Fair enough but I fail to unserstand the link between your mothers role not being remembered and a reason for not wearing a poppy which remembers the sacrifices of others who were fighting to achieve the same goal your mother was striving for ?
  • Options

The reason I buy a poppy is as a remembrance to all the brave poor souls, left in unmarked graves / fields / forests etc oversea, who gave their lives, so that we might live in freedom, below is a brief snapshot of fathers life, which some may find disturbing / interesting etc. it was part of my farewell speech at his funeral.

My father fought out in Burma and was in the royal engineers, he had a fantastic life and lived it to its full extent, he came from the wrong side of Dartford, but got on. He never really mentioned Burma, but the few things he did say was horrific.

First day they got out there they where taken to a hospital that had been overrun by the Japanese a couple of days prior to their arrival, they where shown crucified nurses still nailed to the crosses, and British soldiers that where bayoneted as they laid in their beds, as he said that made you grow up.

He and a few others used to go behind enemy line to disrupt the Japanese communications and he was an expert with explosives so they below up the odd bridge mostly when the trains where going over, they would disappear for 6 months at a time with very limited rations, when they run and assuming there where no air drops they used to eat there mules, there biscuits where contaminated with weevils which he said was a bonus, still certain if that part was true, for those months while they disappeared they didn't know who was fighting in the next valley, some natives where friendly and other where pro Japanese so they couldn't risk getting food of them.

He was involved somehow in the battles of Imphal and Kohima, both where horrendous and anyone interested should read these stories, after the break out from Burma through India he teamed up with British and Aussies soldiers they never took a single prisoner the hatred was that great. When he came home he met his son of 31/2 for the first time, he didn't even know that his wife was pregnant when he sailed away.

When I was 21 I was not allowed a Japanese watch for birthday present and never allowed a Japanese car. His last trip was back to Burma wargraves to say goodbye to his long lost friends, the old Gerkhas who fought with him walked for 2 days to be with there old comrades, they where all in their 80's. some of his last words to the vicar was restating his hatred of the Japanese race.

A different generation of men of men and women. Hopefully the wavers will now go and by a poppy.

Just caught up with this thread. Great story to share Kerry.
  • Options
    @PL54‌ exactly what I wanted to say but the above puts it so much more eloquently than I ever could - good post
  • Options
    All you have to do is drop a coin in a collection box and wear a poppy. If that's the greatest injustice you have to rail against, lucky you. The British military must have done a pretty good job.
    This ^ 100%.
  • Options
    Still honestly haven't seen a poppy seller yet and I've hardly been hermit as I've walked across Manchester city centre and back again 4 times this week, yet I've seen about 10 Big Issue sellers in that span of time.

I'm sure someone can read into what that says.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Still honestly haven't seen a poppy seller yet and I've hardly been hermit as I've walked across Manchester city centre and back again 4 times this week, yet I've seen about 10 Big Issue sellers in that span of time.

Weird, there's loads in the City.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited November 2014
    There is a female German OAP who lives near me, and every year we wonder if she will make it and turn up for the local remembrance services each year, she moved to Britain after WWII and married an English guy she met near to the end of the conflict (he, sadly, is no longer with us), she wears a poppy and she wears it for remembrance of all who died, not for victory. As she said to me once "I lost family & friends on both sides due to WWII"

This is her from last years service at Bluewater (3rd pic I believe in this link)

http://m.newsshopper.co.uk/news/10801373.Two_minute_Armistice_Day_silence_brings_Bluewater_to_a_standstill/

• Sponsored links:

• Options

That is a superb cartoon, thank you for sharing.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Just as easy to dig an old poppy out the draw and donate here like I did this year.

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-involved/how-to-give
  • Options
    Stone said:

Fiiish said:

Just as easy to dig an old poppy out the draw and donate here like I did this year.

Stone said:

Fiiish said:

I've never kept any of my old poppies and I don't know anyone who does.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Stone said:

Fiiish said:

Stone said:

Fiiish said:

I've never kept any of my old poppies and I don't know anyone who does.
    My "new" poppies are normally in tatters after a couple of days - hence my eternal search for a metal badge !
  • Options
    Just back from the very busy Cleethorpes Tesco .. would estimate that between 75-80% of the people in the store were wearing poppies, men, women and quite a few children .. the exceptions, without generalising too much would tend to be the younger generation .. I spoke to the very smart old gentleman who was manning the well stocked Legion stall .. he told me that sales had picked up in the last few days after a slow start .. as has been mentioned on here, perhaps the public like to buy their poppies nearer to the 11/11 rather than in mid October
  • Options
    I bought two a couple of weeks ago in local Tesco. One is stick on, one with a pin, hoping I would keep at least one until the 11th. Usually lose at least one. I still have both today!