Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone know a hardcore Charlton fan called Seb?

Comments

• I once walked in on my brother humping his mattress when he was about 14. He had cut a hole about halfway down to expose the springs lol
  • Oh i know who we are on about now.

He's the one that looks up to the top of the J block and make hand signals as if he was talking to someone saying he would just be a minute, then walking up the top, along a whole row, then back down the other side.

He is at every away game though to be fair.
  • I knew I'd made it when Seb gave me a nod at an away game last season.
  • I saw Seb yesterday at the Welling game and he had his rucksack. Didn't see his brother though .. hope he is ok.

I used to avoid Seb after the abuse he used to give Martin Pringle, some of the words that came out of his mouth should not have been repeated around young children in the stands. Yet on that same day in Bolton, when Pringle scored, he went from hating him to loving him.

It was nice to see some old faces at the Welling game ... been out of the away game loop for a while.
  • CommentAuthorPlaaayer
    CommentTime39 minutes ago
    quote# 120
    I knew I'd made it when Seb gave me a nod at an away game last season.

Thats when you know your proper Charlton lol
  • edited July 2010
    Know Seb & Ollie well. For brothers they don't seem very close but look out for each other if you know what I mean. Always see Ollie at away games and in the East Stand. Last season we met at a pub in Brighton before heading to Preston Park and walking down the muddiest alleyway imaginable to get to the ground.

Back in the late 80's/early 90's there was a guy on our coach (usually stewarded by Steve Dixon or Barry Nugent) we called the Loner, while others called him 'Gossamer'. He may have been called John King. Never missed a game and spent most of his time reading old Ford Cortina manuals. Another Mr King still goes, he has a ginger beard and brings along his very old Dad.

The two portly brothers people have referred to could be Dave and John from the Gillingham area. Dave sadly passed away a few days after the play off final at Wembley but John still goes. You'll hear him having a go at the ref all the time and his favourite comment used to involve him accusing various players of being 'FILTH!!!' at the top of his voice.

Going back to the Selhurst days, I remember a massive bloke who would constantly should abuse to all players regardless of whether they were playing for Charlton or anyone else. I remarked to my mate at a game v Southampton that we hadn't seen him for a while but soon after he appeared running full pelt along the front of the Arfur Waite in apparent pursuit of Mark Dennis who'd been giving him some abuse back. I'll always remember him ranting while Dennis stood there and blew him a kiss.

And finally, our own Alex Wright who went to 3563 consecutive away games or something like that. Famous for appearing in the caption competition in the Voice of the Valley holding aloft a raffle ticket.

To all those who've gone away past and present, I salute you. See you all at Shrewsbury no doubt.
  • edited August 2010
    was driving into blackheath today coming down from the Clarendon and who was stood in the middle of the road but Seb , stopped to let him across , he seemed oblivious to any danger he may have been in

[cite]Posted By: Tommy Dowling[/cite] Back in the late 80's/early 90's there was a guy on our coach (usually stewarded by Steve Dixon or Barry Nugent) we called the Loner, while others called him 'Gossamer'. He may have been called John King. Never missed a game and spent most of his time reading old Ford Cortina manuals. Another Mr King still goes, he has a ginger beard and brings along his very old Dad.

I remember him reading that book called "traffic systems of Europe" and he always wore that sheepskin coat and faded flares. I also remember him having what seemed to be a never ending supply of twiglets
  • The Ginger Mr King is Clive King. His Dad is Max .

Max is probably about 90 now and I saw him at two long distance away games last year. A true legend.
  • Just seen this thread.

Think the Dave and John that Tommy Dowling refers to might be my dad and uncle - certainly did a lot of away games in the 80's and my old man died just after the Wembley Play Offs - or may just be coincidence??
  • edited August 2010
    Tommy Dowling said - "Back in the late 80's/early 90's there was a guy on our coach (usually stewarded by Steve Dixon or Barry Nugent) we called the Loner, while others called him 'Gossamer'. He may have been called John King. Never missed a game and spent most of his time reading old Ford Cortina manuals"

I'm amazed that you remember this. This chap was nicknamed Gossamer Farquar by my good mate Choice (as in Choice TV), just as a bit of a laugh.

Ah, the good old coach days.

Don't forget "Ken Bates" - we used to sing to/at him to the tune of kumbaya - Kenny Doodlebug kumbaya
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Just seen this thread.

Think the Dave and John that Tommy Dowling refers to might be my dad and uncle - certainly did a lot of away games in the 80's and my old man died just after the Wembley Play Offs - or may just be coincidence??

Hi Southend Addick. John is from Gillingham, not sure if Dave was as well. The last time I saw Dave was at the victory parade outside Woolwich Town Hall the day after the play off final. When I next saw John at the Arsenal away match the following season, he told me Dave had passed away fairly recently. I'd known Dave and John from the Selhurst days on the Sainsbury's terrace, we stood at the back right behind the goal.
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Tommy Dowling said - "Back in the late 80's/early 90's there was a guy on our coach (usually stewarded by Steve Dixon or Barry Nugent) we called the Loner, while others called him 'Gossamer'. He may have been called John King. Never missed a game and spent most of his time reading old Ford Cortina manuals"

I'm amazed that you remember this. This chap was nicknamed Gossamer Farquar by my good mate Choice (as in Choice TV), just as a bit of a laugh.

Don't forget "Ken Bates" - we used to sing to/at him to the tune of kumbaya - Kenny Doodlebug kumbaya

Ah yes, those coach days were legendary. If Steve Dixon was stewarding we were always treated to his video of Charlton matches and news reports from the early 80's. Included on that was the Ipswich cup tie which had an interview with Nicky Johns from 'London Plus' tacked on at the beginning.

I remember a match at Bristol City in 1991 where all the lads at the back bought plain white beanie hats from a service station and decorated them with Charlton slogans. Some still had them at the next away game but they didn't last long after that. Never the less, my mates and I always referred to them as the 'white hat lads' from then on.

Finally, many fond memories come from the game at Villa in '89 when Leaburn scored the winner off about 20 deflections. But who remembers us all having 'Harry the Haddock' inflatables which were from a consignment left over by Grimsby fans who'd been down to Wimbledon the previous week in the cup?
  • i sat next to an old boy a few times, he was like 90, and he said he hadn't missed a home game since moving back to the valley. looked 'the captain' from phoenix nights. had to wake him up after one game.
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]was driving into blackheath today coming down from the Clarendon and who was stood in the middle of the road but Seb , stopped to let him across , he seemed oblivious to any danger he may have been in

Did he have his rucksack with him?
  • Tommy

Yes thats my old man - I must know you then, I used to go to Selhurst, still go with my uncle (John)
  • [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Tommy

Yes thats my old man - I must know you then, I used to go to Selhurst, still go with my uncle (John)

Is your name Tim? I must say I love the banter that John has with the refs and the double act he had with your dad was legendary.
  • Yeah thats me.

My uncle is (in)famous in the East Stand for his ref abuse.
  • Does Barry Nugent still go?

Use to live near him many years ago near Well Hall and chat to him waiting for our coach to away games.
  • [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]Does Barry Nugent still go?

Use to live near him many years ago near Well Hall and chat to him waiting for our coach to away games.

I've seen him around at games in the last few seasons - so yes. (He was in a serious car crash on the A2 some years ago and was off the scene for some time)
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Tommy Dowling said - "Back in the late 80's/early 90's there was a guy on our coach (usually stewarded by Steve Dixon or Barry Nugent) we called the Loner, while others called him 'Gossamer'. He may have been called John King. Never missed a game and spent most of his time reading old Ford Cortina manuals"

This is quality and indeed true lol (thanks covered end for the whisper on this as I probably wouldnt have noticed this comment).

I cant believe some total random fan from back then has remembered this,id love to know who you are Tommy (i can remember a few from this time though)! I remember this guy very well, I dont remember them being Ford Cortina manuals though, I definately remember it being refrigerator manuals or maybe that was a one off.

If you remember this time then you should also remember that we used to launch peanuts at him aswell lol and Mr Dixon regularly made trips up the back to tell us off although sometimes I would pretend to be asleep. Not to mention the trip to Hull in the mid 80s where 2 guys concealed a litre of whisky in a lucozade bottle, i downed so much of it that i dont remember getting off the coach at well hall but apparantly i made it to a party in sidcup and collapsed through the door to cheering before my mum collected me in disgrace!! lol she wasnt happy

Another story some may remember, there was a kid about my age at the time (about 14 years old) who got picked on so much at the back of the coach that he ended up supporting Crystal Palace.

I came up with this name Gossamer because it had just emerged commercially as a Durex and at the time seemed like a good name...quality days :)

in this day and age it all might have been perceived as bullying.
  • Sponsored links:

• funny you know so much about condoms choice , ahem.

I remember Dixon proper tearing into us about the peanut throwing which just lead to us abusing Dixon for having his school jumper on , he took it off and had a white t-shirt so we abused him about his "P.E shirt"
  • Often bump into Steve Dixon when shopping in Sainsbury's in Crayford. Lovely guy.
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]funny you know so much about condoms choice , ahem.

I remember Dixon proper tearing into us about the peanut throwing which just lead to us abusing Dixon for having his school jumper on , he took it off and had a white t-shirt so we abused him about his "P.E shirt"

I was 14, i took what i could get :) not always that great either

I think Dixon loved us really, sometimes it was a love/hate relationship depending on whether Charlton had won or lost.

The peanut throwing was quality

GOSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMEEEERRRRRRRRRR away day coach legend
  • reading this thread has bought back some memoeries for me. My dad (Dave Filmer) used to take me everywhere away as a kid and the likes of Mick Walker, Wally, Maltesee Paul, Paul Clayton and Gerry were some of his best mates. Malteese Gerry is now residing in Malta and my dad has an house over there too. Cant Believe Mick Walker is dead he used to come stop with us in Stoke On trent when we Played Vale and Stoke in the 90's he was a bit of piss head but always a gentleman as I remember.
  • [cite]Posted By: CH4RLTON[/cite]reading this thread has bought back some memoeries for me. My dad (Dave Filmer) used to take me everywhere away as a kid and the likes of Mick Walker, Wally, Maltesee Paul, Paul Clayton and Gerry were some of his best mates. Malteese Gerry is now residing in Malta and my dad has an house over there too. Cant Believe Mick Walker is dead he used to come stop with us in Stoke On trent when we Played Vale and Stoke in the 90's he was a bit of piss head but always a gentleman as I remember.

Gerry and co were top blokes
  • Does anyone remember Don the fella that use to have a stall in Woolwich?use to go to all the games and me and my mates at the time use to love his stories re Charlton away days!

Top fella and would love to hear he is ok
  • has anyone else noticed a decline in sebs attempt at the dance move 'the worm' lately?
  • Last one I saw was at spurs.. still going strong in his match run despite being drained of will to go of late I'm sure.
  • Was at Sheff Wed he did it midway through the first half, also walked into the pub in Bournemouth to a chorus of "DO THE WORM, DO THE WORM" he's still got it.
  • Sat in front of me v Rochdale.