Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Best UK Holiday Destination Is...

Comments

• Options
    The Malverns are nice, Church Stretton and Offa`s Dyke.
    You would need to like hill walking mind
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Sound your earlier comments about Kent i find so close to the truth about the place i am taken aback were you born here lol. Anyway your right mate some really depressing place here in Kent Folkestone, Dover and Margate all fine specimins of shite towns but then you have Canterbury and Maidstone which are both nice and the weather commment is correct too its is a lil microclemer if you know what i mean some days we are the only ones who have any sun :-)

Gravesend.............statisticly the warmest and sunniest place in The UK.
    I was born in Hereford....home of The SAS....so don't f around with me Ru....all it takes is a phone call....LOL!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Sound your earlier comments about Kent i find so close to the truth about the place i am taken aback were you born here lol. Anyway your right mate some really depressing place here in Kent Folkestone, Dover and Margate all fine specimins of shite towns but then you have Canterbury and Maidstone which are both nice and the weather commment is correct too its is a lil microclemer if you know what i mean some days we are the only ones who have any sun :-)

Gravesend.............statisticly the warmest and sunniest place in The UK.
    I was born in Hereford....home of The SAS....so don't f around with me Ru....all it takes is a phone call....LOL!

Gravesend really well certainly not statiscaly the nicest town in the UK i know that much lol.

LOL you nutta brilliant stuff no no offense matey you are spot on with your comments about Kent its brilliant i just couldnt belive that someone from outside of Kent could be so spot on i mean i have lived here for about 5 years now and even i agree with you 100% :-). But Hereford home of th SAS isit bloody hell i relly do learn something new everyday on here i luv it. So have you spent lots of time down this way then :-)
  • Options
    Nah...not much...only about 60 years!
  • Options
    O rite cool mate thats long enough to have a good a judgemnet lol can see y you were spot on the :-)
  • Options
    Cornwall. I did a drive around the coast of Cornwall with my (ex)girlfriend years ago. Absolutely stunning from Saint Ives to Lands end to Saint Michaels Mount.

The lake district. I would recommend the lakes in autumn, September, just as the leaves are changing but you can still get a few warm sunny days in you're lucky. I've been all over the World but I sill rate the lakes as one of those must see before you die places.

Northumberland. I never went there on holiday but worked in a quarry assisting a sculptor on a land based stone carving project. If you are into wild, open countryside, Roman ruins, fantastic pubs, guest houses and wild coastline, Northumberland is your place.
  • Options
    That's a fab picture, P_Air.

Anywhere in rural Scotland for me, especially the Mull of Kintyre and Sanda Island.

Norfolk's not bad for England, but most other places are just too crowded. I'm now too used to the emptiness and tranquillity up here.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    [cite]Posted By: P_Air[/cite]Luskintyre on the west coast of the Isle of Harris has, imo, the best beach anywhere in the UK.

It wasexactlylike this when I was last there.

Luskentyre%20Beach.jpg

Where did you get that pic from??

That is casiter beach.

Stig obviously missed that part
  • Options
    Camped on that beach for 2 nights once. It was absolutely fantastic, camfires, swimming, mountains, blue seas, white sands, fishing and the place to ourselves....what a place.

Hope to go back there someday.

Cannot recommend the Hebrides (inner and outer) highly enough. Staggeringly beautiful.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: C.Walsh'sLoveChild[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: P_Air[/cite]Luskintyre on the west coast of the Isle of Harris has, imo, the best beach anywhere in the UK.

Luskentyre%20Beach.jpg

That is casiter beach.

Ha ha, you can't trick me like that C.W.L.C. as a native of East Anglia I know that it is flat all the way from Tilbury to Cromer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Walton On The Naze, Clacton and Southend
  • Options
    Another vote for Dorset. Trained as a Geologist and the geology down there is fantastic, so went there a few times on field trips. Weymouth, Lyme Regis, Portland, the Jurassic Coast, Durdle Door, Lulworth Cove, Chesil beach - all beautiful places.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: C.Walsh'sLoveChild[/cite]

Luskentyre%20Beach.jpg

That is casiter beach.

Ha ha, you can't trick me like that C.W.L.C. as a native of East Anglia I know that it is flat all the way from Tilbury to Cromer.

I lived in casiter for 12 years. that is definitely caister beach and the north sea. mountains have been super imposed.

Or am i thinking back with rose tinted glasses??? :-S
  • Options
    Too many absolutely fantastic places in Britain, personally I get bored on beaches with the hot sun, although i have been to some wonderful places abroad. Most of scotland, but particularly the west coast and the islands are paradise, Pembrokeshire, Devon and Cornwall, Peak and Lake Districts, north Norfolk...sheesh nearly everywhere, all the pretty countryside....for one selection it probably does have to be the West of Scotland....however if it's the whole of the British Isles, then more or less everywhere in Ireland outside the cities is fantastic.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]And of course Steve, it has fish & chips at The Pilot(the best I've ever had)....Mmmmm just the thought makes the belly rumble.

It's the radiation! ;-)
  • Options
    It’s Lulworth, Dorset, for me. Beautiful area. Have enjoyed many a holiday there over 50 years. 
  • Options
    Most of the New Forest 
  • Options
    Pontins. Camber sands 
    5 star quality at it's finest 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lyme Regis.

Isle of Wight.
  • Options
    The Highlands.
  • Options
    I love living by the Thames in Kent. 
    But not that much...

:-) 
    Lol if we could have found a way to stay there with both of us retired we would definitely still be there.

Just have to settle for a goat farm on the Wild Atlantic Way where others come on their holidays.

Speaking of which, when are you Smudgers coming to visit? 🤔🥰
  • Options
    Totally agree re Broadstairs, chips in the hand, knickerbockerglory in Morellis (had at least I in there, every year for 64 years). 
  • Options
    Isle of Wight, South Devon, North Wales.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Amazing to think when this thread was started 12 years ago I’d hardly been anywhere coastal in the UK (including Kent). 

Been so so many amazing places since. North Yorkshire, Norfolk, Suffolk, Kent, Sussex, Dorset, Devon, Somerset, IoW.

Dorset probably my favourite county, love so many places there. But Broadstairs is definitely my ‘happy place’. Fish n chips sitting on Viking Bay, ice cream from Morellis. Just love the place and only an hour away. Can’t believe it took me nearly 40 years to discover it. 

Still desperately want to try Cornwall, Wales, Lake District. 

https://www.stivesbay.co.uk/

Probably mentioned it on here before but I would definitely recommend this place for a perfect location at reasonable prices in Cornwall.  Not huge amounts on-site but you are right on the beach.  Perfect. (In fact looks like 2022 they are making more effort on entertainment too)
  • Options
    Cornwall for me, love the place and want to end up living down there. 
  • Options
    Just back from a long weekend in the New Forest/Highcliffe. Probably the 6th time we've been down to the New Forest in the last few years. My boys love it down there.  So much to do and have that good mix of having the beach option too staying in Highcliffe itself.