Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Best UK Holiday Destination Is...

Comments

• Options
    Northumberland coast is wonderful
  • Options
    The Highlands.
    Just back from the Highlands. We did the North West 500 road trip. Actually covered over 1250 miles, fantastic holiday (weather was even ok). Would recommend it to anyone :).
  • Options
    Lymington …very friendly, scenic (especially if you like walking…around hurst castle and the marshes) and eating out superb.
  • Options
    Nowhere as weather shit. Ibiza always ...
  • Options
    Amazing to think when this thread was started 12 years ago I’d hardly been anywhere coastal in the UK (including Kent). 

Been so so many amazing places since. North Yorkshire, Norfolk, Suffolk, Kent, Sussex, Dorset, Devon, Somerset, IoW.

Dorset probably my favourite county, love so many places there. But Broadstairs is definitely my ‘happy place’. Fish n chips sitting on Viking Bay, ice cream from Morellis. Just love the place and only an hour away. Can’t believe it took me nearly 40 years to discover it. 

Still desperately want to try Cornwall, Wales, Lake District. 
    The Lake District is on my 'to go' list as well. Can thoroughly recommend Wales. If you get the right weather, there's no better place for a holiday. It is rather poorly served for indoor attractions though and getting the right weather is something of a challenge.
  • Options
    Nowhere as weather shit. Ibiza always ...
    Agreed, coupled with the expense, even before Covid.
    I often lash out and spoil my beloved on city breaks.  We have been to Budapest and Prague in recent years, stayed in nice hotels, threw money around like confetti and the entire three night stays only came to £500 for the pair of us.
    That aside, IOW is beautiful and I do like the relaxed atmosphere of Brighton.
  • Options
    Portmierion
  • Options
    Living in a holiday destination I suppose I also see the worst of it as well i.e. crowds, drunks, traffic, litter, etc but when all you grockles have gone home it's still a lovely place to live, by and large. Quite like the winters down here as the beach is often empty and the waves are crashing in.

Lots of nice places mentioned above (exc Gillingham) but Cornwall's especially lovely IMO.
    Same here, in the 11 years we have lived down here I've never seen it so busy as it has been in the last few weeks. Lots of people looking to move down here mainly from London, rent and house prices have shot up since covid.

• Options
    Living in a holiday destination I suppose I also see the worst of it as well i.e. crowds, drunks, traffic, litter, etc but when all you grockles have gone home it's still a lovely place to live, by and large. Quite like the winters down here as the beach is often empty and the waves are crashing in.

Lots of nice places mentioned above (exc Gillingham) but Cornwall's especially lovely IMO.
    Same here, in the 11 years we have lived down here I've never seen it so busy as it has been in the last few weeks. Lots of people looking to move down here mainly from London, rent and house prices have shot up since covid.

Yeah was down there over the weekend... Has been a few years since I was in Hastings but for what wasnt a Bank Holiday weekend it certainly felt busier than what I remembered.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yeah was down there over the weekend... Has been a few years since I was in Hastings but for what wasnt a Bank Holiday weekend it certainly felt busier than what I remembered.
    It's even like it during the week, mother in law is in a care home down here now (previously lived in Lewisham) in the winter it's 5 min drive from us, now it can take upto 1/2 hour.
  • Options
    Lots of beautiful places, sadly lots of unreliable weather too. 
  • Options
    The Highlands.
    Just back from the Highlands. We did the North West 500 road trip. Actually covered over 1250 miles, fantastic holiday (weather was even ok). Would recommend it to anyone :).
    The Lake District is glorious, but for me it is blown away by the Highlands of Scotland - of all the places in the world I've been lucky to have visited, nothing touches it. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    The Highlands.
    The Lake District is glorious, but for me it is blown away by the Highlands of Scotland - of all the places in the world I've been lucky to have visited, nothing touches it. 
    The Highlands is just incredible for its beauty and the sense of peace. I'm amazed how few people have been there - utterly stunning landscapes.
  • Options
    Lots of beautiful places, sadly lots of unreliable weather clothing too. 

• Options
    Hal1x said:
    Portmierion
    Agree , surreal place with beautiful gardens , stunning beaches and not a soul on them 
  • Options
    Just out of interest are people on here finding it longer than usual to get to places going by car?
  • Options
    Just out of interest are people on here finding it longer than usual to get to places going by car?
    Journey too and from Cornwall flew by, but then again started each trip pretty early to try and avoid traffic - Getting back from Hastings on the weekend completely exhausted me, was only an hour and a half, but felt forever and struggled to get out the car when I parked up as I'd stiffened up
  • Options
    Loved going to Cornwall as a kid and it's a place I'd love to take my wife and daughter when we come back to visit the UK.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My sister in law got married in Portmierion.
    Beautiful location & met Jools Holland & his Missus whilst there.
    Got him to wish the sister in law all the best on her big day too.
  • Options
    Just out of interest are people on here finding it longer than usual to get to places going by car?
    Journey too and from Cornwall flew by, but then again started each trip pretty early to try and avoid traffic - Getting back from Hastings on the weekend completely exhausted me, was only an hour and a half, but felt forever and struggled to get out the car when I parked up as I'd stiffened up.

• Options
    Heathrow.

Before jumping on a plane and flying off halfway round the world where it isn’t raining and cold.
  • Options
    Journey too and from Cornwall flew by, but then again started each trip pretty early to try and avoid traffic - Getting back from Hastings on the weekend completely exhausted me, was only an hour and a half, but felt forever and struggled to get out the car when I parked up as I'd stiffened up
    A21 can be bloody hard work....assuming you came that way.
  • Options
    A21 can be bloody hard work....assuming you came that way.
    Went M25 | A21 on the way down as had to stop off in Gravesend, which was around 2pm on Friday so hit early rush hour... Way home I did the B2244 | A229 back to Strood.
  • Options
    Do love the UK but the cost does put me off a bit (along with the weather). 2 weeks on the IOW in our own caravan. 4 kids and will have eaten out 3 times. The rest of it cooking / BBQ and packed lunches during the day. Not been excessive on day trips etc (every other day) but have done lots including plenty of beach days. Plus we have a heated pool on site.

In total, including the site / ferry / spending etc I will have done the best part of £2.5/3k. Mind you I suspect that sort of money would just about get us all on a plane in the school holidays 
  • Options
    I vote for South West Wales. St David's, to be exact. Love it there. Hoping we get some un in early September! 
  • Options
    Was in North Devon a few weeks back. Beautiful part of the world. For a long weekend break I would probably choose the Cotswold over most places. Only a couple of hours by car & some great boozers. Particular like Stow-on-the-wold & the little villages around there.
    Went to Stow-on-the-Wold a few weeks back and stayed in a funny little train carriage in a field. Bloody loved it. And despite being on here, I don't even like trains! 
  • Options
    If I was to pick one place, I'd choose Looe in Cornwall. Many a happy childhood holiday spent there. A nice day trip from Plymouth too, I did that the last time we played down there and made a long weekend of it.
  • Options
    Lymington …very friendly, scenic (especially if you like walking…around hurst castle and the marshes) and eating out superb.
    A nice way to get to the Isle of Wight too, much less hectic than the Portsmouth to Ryde way