Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

charlton v southend - post match views

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
Add post match thoughts here.

Imo got away with that one. Never seemed to put our stamp on it, yet got away with a win.

Comments

• Options
    One of the worst winning performances I can remember.
    I guess we have to view it as the old cliche of winning even when playing badly is a good sign.
    Leeds have done a lit of that already this season!
  • Options
    Awful game. Both teams were poor. We won they didn't. Stick the 3 points on our total and move on.
  • Options
    3 wins on the spin, and another clean sheet, though.
  • Options
    Very tough, but Southend were wayward up front for all their approach play.It helps a lot the Robbie made that first half save, clean sheets win matches, and we have three useful points. Southend were much better than I expected, and I reckon Tilson managed them, and is managing them, well....making the most of what he's got...good manager IMHO.
    Burton edges out Robbie as my mom, and the defence played well...apart from the time he was beaten for pace I feel Count Basey was good, as were Dailly and Sam Sodje.
    Our problem was probably the absence of Semedo, Racon is a different type of player, and Southend kept possession well our midfield struggles to play and flow together.....we had some moments, but a draw would have been an understandable result....but it wasn't and we have three more points.
    Amusing moment when the linos flag flew off.
  • Options
    What did you think of Barnard (seeing as we were linked to him)?
  • Options
    Barnard was neat and tidy as were most of Southend, but he didn't panic us.
  • Options
    Bit of credit due to Sarfend, they made it hard for us.

A straight Spring for Semedo would have worked better in hindsight. Racon looks lost at the moment.
  • Options
    Fair play to Southend - extra man in midfield was important but left them light up top.

Bailey getting afinal warning ended his game as he didn't touch anyone after that

Basey got done once by that winger who was very quick - rest of the game was in Grants pocket.

Back 4 all good but a shame Frazer appears to be made of glass

nice goal but can't say mooney and akpo we that great today.

Therry not at the races at all

ugly 1-0 will do though as long as we win our next 2 as all around us keep winning! (Norwich scare me as they look really solid)
  • Options
    We made a bad team look good by letting them pass us off the pitch, but in the end Southend only had a few shots on target and Elliot played well. Not really deserved but that's 2pts gained on Leeds!!
  • Options
    A wins a win, didnt click today but in the end, it didnt need to we still won
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always been a supporter of PP, but how he could not see the problems with this game is worrying. Our problems were clearly in midfield, yet he decided to use one of his sub choices replacing Mooney with Akpo. We weren't feeding Mooney with anything so why did he think we would suddenly feed a similar player? We needed another midfielder, we had two wingers and two strikers but no width and no strike threat. Glad we won but not one for the purists and we seemed to win in spite of the manager not because of him

PP makes some strange decisions.
  • Options
    Agree with Steve Dowman above. We were playing with two wingers in Sam and Waggy and did not dominate enough to warrent that luxury. Our midfield was out manouvered and imho Waggy should have been sacrificed for either Spring or my preference Jonjo. We needed someone able to stand big in midfield and Racon was not the man today. Still, three points is three points. Southend probably deserved a point but who cares what they deserved.
  • Options
    I was dissapointerd with both Racon and Mooney today. A lot of our problems were due to Racons poor centralmidfield performance and he should have been replaced by Spring at half time, leaving one possible substitution up our sleeve.

At the beginning of the season there was concern that we would lose Racon to a championship or even premiership club, as long as we got a fee I would not be upset if this happened in January.
  • Options
    That really stunk the place out. But we won, so I don't care. Time to celebrate in the traditional manner.
  • Options
    Very scrappy game. Defence pretty solid. Robbie, one really decent block. I felt that Waggy was too lightweight, and Sam was boxed in for much of the game bar the goal. Racon sadly was poor, he fouled too much, he missed too many passes, and his shooting was poor. My MOM was Burton. Apart from the goal he really worked hard and his touch was excellent. Still a wins a win.
  • Options
    Typical ugly game where last season we would have conceded. But this season we havent.

Elliot had no real work to do apart from his rush in the first half. We didnt play well, we gave them far too much time and space in the middle.

But we won, picked up three points and have won 4 out of the last 5.

Let's go to the bottom club next week then do the other lot in two weeks time. I'll take winning like that every week until the end of the season to be fair!
  • Options
    Poor game, but a win is a win and we've made two points up on Leeds, so all in all a good day.
  • Options
    We won ugly something Charlton have been unable to do in recent seasons.

In some ways that reminded me of a typical ground out Curbs 1-0. I'll take it thanks very much but if I was a Sarfend fan I'd be feeling distinctly cheesed off!

We deserved it though for Robbie Elliot's Derek Randall!
  • Options
    Ground out a result, won even though we didn't play well etc.

Need to play better than that, but in the end we got the win.

Want to see Semedo back in after his ban. Bailey was doing his job, but that limits what he can offer going forward, doesn't suit him and it doesn't help Racon either. Racon had a quiet game, few too many mistakes, disappointed with him as he play better than that at a higher level.

Still yet to be convinced Wagstaff is good enough to start regularly, so far he looks no more than a useful sub. To be fair though he has improved since he first started making appearances in the first team, and was out of position on the left.

First half I felt Bailey at times was trying to be a bit too clever with his passes and a few touches, but he was obviously really up for the game and wanted to impress.

Shame about Richardson, Omozusi isn't as good but still not sure he can be called a complete liability just yet.

Good to have Elliot back, feel more comfortable with him in goal over Ikeme or Randolph.

Pleased Burton scored again and Sam got another assist. I know Sam can be frustrating but he's still a good winger in this league, and helps out defensively more than the other wingers we've had over the last 3/4 years.
  • Options
    Can't not mention these two points......

Anyone else cringe at Bailey's play acting near the end?. Rolling around like he had been shot, the full south American hysteria and then 30 secs later he is up and sprinting to the halfway line to come back on?.

I have a vain hope that the bloke sitting behind me reads this board......"WILL YOU PLEASE STOP CALLING E-L-L-I-O-T Omusuzi Nathan....................FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Ground out a result, won even though we didn't play well etc.

Need to play better than that, but in the end we got the win.

Want to see Semedo back in after his ban. Bailey was doing his job, but that limits what he can offer going forward, doesn't suit him and it doesn't help Racon either. Racon had a quiet game, few too many mistakes, disappointed with him as he play better than that at a higher level.

Still yet to be convinced Wagstaff is good enough to start regularly, so far he looks no more than a useful sub. To be fair though he has improved since he first started making appearances in the first team, and was out of position on the left.

First half I felt Bailey at times was trying to be a bit too clever with his passes and a few touches, but he was obviously really up for the game and wanted to impress.

Shame about Richardson, Omozusi isn't as good but still not sure he can be called a complete liability just yet.

Good to have Elliot back, feel more comfortable with him in goal over Ikeme or Randolph.

Pleased Burton scored again and Sam got another assist. I know Sam can be frustrating but he's still a good winger in this league, and helps out defensively more than the other wingers we've had over the last 3/4 years.

Personally think Wagstaff will be back on the bench once Youga & Richardson are fit. Basey will move into left midfield IMHO.

Didn't mention it earlier but I am getting fed up with the Richardson situation. We seem to keep rushing him back. If he needs 4-5 weeks out then let him have 4-5 weeks out. Have not been convinced by Omusuzi but thought he was solid against a tricky winger today and by all accounts was good at Brighton so am prepared to give him a chance.
  • Options
    spot on Clem feckin get up Bailey you mug,won the game enough said.Having BAILEY & RACON on yellow cards meant they were a non event in the midfield for the entire second half.Anyway take the 3 points cuddle them and get pissed.That's the last time I talk a player up,not one of Mooney's better games.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Anyone else cringe at Bailey's play acting near the end?. Rolling around like he had been shot, the full south American hysteria and then 30 secs later he is up and sprinting to the halfway line to come back on?.
    Someone pointed out on here ages ago Bailey often goes down like he's been shot. Not the first time he's done it, I never worry that he's got a serious injury any more.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]

At the beginning of the season there was concern that we would lose Racon to a championship or even premiership club, as long as we got a fee I would not be upset if this happened in January.

That's a very short memory, Kap.

Okay, Racon is not the force he was at the beginning of the season but was hugely inluential in the unbeaten run at that time - and was arguably our best player.

He's in and out of form, and the team at the moment ...... but that doesn't make him suddenly a poor player, just a player playing poorly.

I'm sure he'll come good again. And selling him should be the last thing on our minds.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I hate to see "play acting" as much as anyone but I am prepared to give Nicky Bailey the benefit of the doubt. Looked to me like he caught a knock on the ankle bone which would cause him agony for a minute or so but no cause to stop him sprinting soon after. Can`t see how any of us can really know so why slag him off ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Basey will move into left midfield IMHO.

Didn't mention Basey, wasn't impressed with him today when going forward. We missed Youga there at times, Basey just doesn't have the pace or quick feet so is forced to look for the long ball. While he's a decent passer and crosser, he's not that good, if you know what I mean. When he did take the ball forward he gave the ball away a few times.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I hate to see "plat acting" as much as anyone but I am prepared to give Nicky Bailey the benefit of the doubt. Looked to me like he caught a knock on the ankle bone which would cause him agony for a minute or so but no cause to stop him sprinting soon after. Can`t see how any of us can know so why slag him off ?
    It did look like the Southend player caught him from where I was. Whether it was that bad a knock is debatable.
  • Options
    Last season we'd have drawn or lost a similarily played match, 3pts is what we came for 3pts is what we got. Millwall didn't get their 3pts. ;-)
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I hate to see "plat acting" as much as anyone but I am prepared to give Nicky Bailey the benefit of the doubt. Looked to me like he caught a knock on the ankle bone which would cause him agony for a minute or so but no cause to stop him sprinting soon after. Can`t see how any of us can know so why slag him off ?

From where I was sitting it looked like the Southend player pushed him over. He was holding his knee whilst writhing around. I was genuinely concerned that he had caught his studs and done his knee. IMHO it isn't the first time this season he has "over-reacted" when he has gone down. Don't like to see oppo players doing it and really hope it isn't going to become part of his game.
  • Options
    Fair do`s