Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

charlton v southend - post match views

Comments

• Options
    Basey did a lot of good things yesterday yet the enduring memory is of Ibehre (I think) leaving him for dead despite his determined efforts to get back. But for Robbie Elliot Southend would have scored as Ibehre was able to tee up Barnard.

Pace will always be a problem despite all the good things he does. For that reason we should try and convert him into a Dailly type centre back. He reads the game well, gets stuck in and can distribute the ball.

Don't laugh too much old gits on here but Les Berry started as a full back and made the transition to centre half. Physically he was similar to Grant quicker but nothing like his skill on the ball. He played nearly 400 games for us mainly in the second tier so it can be done.

Alternatively he could play the Semedo role. I would say that he has a better range of passing.

However he is not a full back.
  • Options
    Basey's distribution is second to none, would love to have him in the team but he is even slower than me and i didn't think that was possible for anyone...Centre Mid as an enforcer / passer is the only place I can really see him working.
  • Options
    think we are in danger of rushing to judgement over Elliot, waggy and basey in the same way that we did with Omo.

Elliot let one low ball bounce off his chest
    Otherwise he did everything he needed to. Two clean sheets since coming back.

Wagstaff was playing out of position remember.

Basey got outpaced once.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]think we are in danger of rushing to judgement over Elliot, waggy and basey in the same way that we did with Omo.

Basey got outpaced once.

Fair comment Henry but I think the general feeling is more for the bigger picture.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]think we are in danger of rushing to judgement over Elliot, waggy and basey in the same way that we did with Omo.

Basey got outpaced once.

Fair comment Henry but I think the general feeling is more for the bigger picture.
    Definitely, Wagstaff in particular still has a lot to prove. Lloyd Sam always looked like he'd be useful in the Championship if not League One when we were in the Prem, Wagstaff isn't at that level yet and doesn't have the skill Sam has.

Problem with Basey is he doesn't really have a best position. He needs to find one and at least fight for that place in the team. Could take time before he finds it though.

Omozusi came in unfit and we were struggling a bit at the time. Elliot's been a regular for about a year, Basey has been in and around the team for 2 years and Wagstaff has made quite a few appearances recently.

Basey, Wagstaff and the other young players are trying to win new contracts for next season, they still have a lot to prove. They might be in and around the first team, but it doesn't mean much just yet, a lot of young players make first team appearances (not just with us, other clubs) then slowly fall down the leagues. As an example, Nathan Ashton left us, went to Fulham, then Wycombe, and a quick check of wikipedia went to AFC Wimbledon. If it's accurate, he's now left them for first team football.

Not saying that will happen to Basey and Wagstaff, but they still have a lot to do and aren't automatically good enough just because they're starting games for us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]

Basey got outpaced once.

Certainly where I was coming from re my remarks on Basey. As a full back his lack of pace will always limit him. At just 21 however he could develop into a centre back or defensive midfielder capable of tier two at least.

Waggy for me played as well as I have seen him. He is 19 and not the biggest but against quite a physical Southend side he showed a willingness to get stuck in I hadn't seen from him before. Early in the first half he made a couple of dangerous looking runs. In my view he had to hep=lp Basey out defensively which blunted his attacking qualities as the game progressed.

Elliot is also progressing well and that save from Barnard was crucial. He earned his dough yesterday.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Think people are being harsh on Basey. The criticism about his 'lack of pace' has become a bit of a cliche, IMO. I've seldom seen him found out this season and he rather reminds me of Mark Reid, who also wasn't the quickest but was smart enough as a footballer that it was seldom an issue and holds a deserved place in the pantheon of Charlton legends. Pretty certain he'll get a new contract and we'll see him in the championship next season where I'm confident he'll be fine.

I'm far more worried about what's happening with Shelvey. One start and one 20 min appearance from the bench in the last 8 league games, I think. Yes, he's still young but if you don't play then you don't learn or improve. At best he's standing still and arguably he's actually going backwards at the moment.

I think he's frustrated by this and possibly getting disaffected.

I don't know what the answer is , I'm merely expressing my concern that the value of what many of us saw as our greatest asset is currently going down. Back in the summer there was talk that we should not let him go for less than 4 million. If he was sold in January, a player who can't even get in a div three team would be lucky to command a quarter of that, I fear.
  • Options
    I genuinely hope you are right about Basey Nigel. The comparison to Mark Reid is a decent one but imho the game has progressed somewhat since those days of Reid to where it is essential that a full back has pace in order to have a far greater impact that what used to be a viewed as a marauding raid by a defender. These days a full back ought to be interchangable with the winger much like the pairing of Moutoakil and Sam last season but events off the pitch prevented that from progressing. His lack of pace was my reason for suggesting it is why he will never progress higher than the level Charlton are at now where I will concede he can often "get by" As for Jonjo I really think that he has become a victim of PP having a greater pool of strikers to draw from meaning the one up front option with Jonjo in the hole is no longer our best formation. Playing him in central midfield would be an option but ahead of Bailey and Semedo is not realistic and we have already seen that playing wide for Jonjo is not really an option. I still think his time will come and all the talk of four million was always just supporters talk. Not sure what his true value would be at the moment but at age seventeen any team looking at him would only be buying potential which may never materialise at the level required by those clubs able to afford buying potential.
  • Options
    Its been a long time since we played poorly and got 3 points. Things weren't happening for the team but they dug in and got 3 points, a positive sign, could never have seen that in the previous season and a half under Pardew.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Think people are being harsh on Basey.

I think people are plain wrong about Basey, Nigel. I think it's a case of give a dog a bad name.... Someone has decided that Basey is slow and it's band-wagon time. I remember him being outpaced just once yesterday. He is one of ours, has behaved impeccably during what must have been a frustrating time when he couldn't get his place, and is now proving himself very useful. He had a good game yesterday.

The Shelvey problem is, I agree, more thorny. Can't say that I have the solution but I hope he is patient and waits for the time - which will arrive - when he can show his ability and skill.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Think people are being harsh on Basey. The criticism about his 'lack of pace' has become a bit of a cliche, IMO.
    Not really a cliche, he does lack pace, but it's probably exaggerated at times. Do agree with Len though, I'm not convinced he'll be a Championship (or Prem) full back one day. He doesn't neccessarily have to be quick to play there, the likes of Chris Powell and Luke Young were never quick, but I'd say they were quicker than Basey is.

SHG said how Basey can "get by" and that's the feeling I get from seeing him play. Has looked decent enough in any position he's played, without ever really standing out. Not that he needs to, he's doing a decent enough job.

As for Jonjo, he's just not as good all round as Bailey at the moment (think tackling, defensively etc, not going forward) and can't do Semedo's job. Then we have Racon as another option and Spring who looks to be the best replacement for Semedo. Like SHG said, I think his time will come. There aren't many clubs, if any, that can both afford him and offer him regular football.
  • Options
    Want to agree with Nadou about Basey, I reckon we will be pleased to have him as our player in the future. Sure Aaron lennon, or SW Phillips might outrun him, and I feel he may end up in a different position, but what i do like is his Steve Brown like footballing intelligence....thank you Grant (count) Basey so far.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]I think people are plain wrong about Basey, Nigel. I think it's a case of give a dog a bad name.... Someone has decided that Basey is slow and it's band-wagon time. I remember him being outpaced just once yesterday.
    Lacking pace isn't just about defending well, it's useful going forward. There's a difference when we play with Youga or Basey at left back. Youga runs with the ball, helps us get up the pitch. Basey was a bit too often looking for a long ball, and with the strikers we've got, it doesn't work too well.
  • Options
    maybe Basey is similar to turner.

technically good but not fast. Over time he compensated for that and is now considered a prem player.

What I'm trying to say is why are we in such a rush. Omo was never going to make it two weeks ago but now opinion is changing. Jon Jo has not started in a mere 6 games. 6 games is nothing. Players get longer suspensions than that.
  • Options
    That's fair enough, I know what you mean, no player should be written off completely. That goes for both new signings and young players breaking through.

Turner is a bit different, he's a centre back, most full backs at a higher level have a bit of pace. Not all centre backs do, though it might end up being Basey's best position anyway.
  • Options
    I agree you cannot just write a player off, especially somebody as comparatively young as Basey.
    Pace, though, is a pretty crucial attribute; you either have it or don't and I think it will limit how far Basey can go.
    You get skinned 2 or 3 times in a game and your own fans will turn on you.
    Should be able to do a good job in League 1 though.

With Shelvey; I wonder if he was ever told "stay with us and play regularly" rather than warm the bench at a bigger club?
    If he was, then I think we are hoist by our own petard because IMO he isn't ready to be played week in week out.
    He is clearly not ready to be the pivotal player in a free role; but needs to be used sparingly and nurtured along.
    Will he be happy with that I wonder.

In any case is he as good as he is being hyped up to be?
    Don't shoot me i'm just playing devils advocate.
    I just think he's a little way yet from being first name on the team sheet.
  • Options
    How fast was Chris Powell?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]How fast was Chris Powell?

Faster than Basey even at 39 or whatever he was when he left.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]How fast was Chris Powell?

I don't really know the answer to that question.

Other than that Sir Chris spent most of his career playing against the highest calibre of opponent including for England.
    Somehow I couldn't imagine him being skinned by a League 1 player.

So based on no scientific evidence whatsoever, I reckon faster than Grant Basey.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]I agree you cannot just write a player off, especially somebody as comparatively young as Basey.
    Pace, though, is a pretty crucial attribute; you either have it or don't and I think it will limit how far Basey can go.
    You get skinned 2 or 3 times in a game and your own fans will turn on you.
    Should be able to do a good job in League 1 though.

With Shelvey; I wonder if he was ever told "stay with us and play regularly" rather than warm the bench at a bigger club?
    If he was, then I think we are hoist by our own petard because IMO he isn't ready to be played week in week out.
    He is clearly not ready to be the pivotal player in a free role; but needs to be used sparingly and nurtured along.
    Will he be happy with that I wonder.

In any case is he as good as he is being hyped up to be?
    Don't shoot me i'm just playing devils advocate.
    I just think he's a little way yet from being first name on the team sheet.

I'm not writing him off as a player. I just don't think he will progress as a full back because pace is important for all the reasons outlined earlier in the thread. Centre half or central midfield are his best options in my view as I've said. He reads the game well, has a good range of passing, physical presence and can put a foot in. He could easily become as good a footballing centre half as someone like Fortune or Bougherra with hard work or a Carrick type midfielder. In those positions I think he would be capable of Championship or maybe even higher. As a full back though league 1 or 2 is his realistic level sadly.

As for Jonjo he is 17 and not quite ready to play as the main creative central midfielder in a 4-4-2 unless he has the right man alongside him. Given a bit more physical development that will come, possibly even before the end of this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]
    I'm far more worried about what's happening with Shelvey. One start and one 20 min appearance from the bench in the last 8 league games, I think. Yes, he's still young but if you don't play then you don't learn or improve. At best he's standing still and arguably he's actually going backwards at the moment.

I don't know what the answer is , I'm merely expressing my concern that the value of what many of us saw as our greatest asset is currently going down. Back in the summer there was talk that we should not let him go for less than 4 million. If he was sold in January, a player who can't even get in a div three team would be lucky to command a quarter of that, I fear.

The thing is, under normal circumstances you wouldn't be expecting a 17 year old to hold down a regular place in the first team, no matter how good his potential. Talent alone isn't always enough at an early stage in a player's career and it can be particularly difficult to compete in the physical lower leagues. I think it might be anxiety that he won't be here in a couple of years that perhaps drives some fans to think that we have to make the most of him while he is here, or that we should be maximising our 'asset' for when a club comes in for him, and there may be a danger that we try and rush his development. I think it's a bit extreme to say he's 'going backwards' considering he's probably had more first team football than most players his age. All the time he's getting stronger and learning more about the game, so he's not exactly wasting away if he's not in the first XI every week - most players his age aren't.

I guess we don't have the luxury of being Man United and knowing that he'll still we with us when he's 20, and thus maybe a slow burning development isn't an option to us, but there might also be a danger of expecting too much all at once.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]Think people are being harsh on Basey. The criticism about his 'lack of pace' has become a bit of a cliche, IMO.

Basey's lack of pace should be more of a concern to you than Jonjo being frustrated. He isn't able to overlap the winger like Youga does and that why whoever plays left wing in front of him struggles at times. The reason Bailey was so successful out there for so long was because he had You bombing past him,pulling the defender out of the way and creating space. Basey cant offer that, Jonjo is as you say only 17 and knows his time will come he is learning despite not playing and i'm suprised you think you cant learn or improve without playing. There are many lessons to be learned in football and a fair few of those lessons dont require you to actually be playing. The team are getting results and that makes him very happy its a team game he is part of that team and is very much enjoying challenging at the top of the table. I would prefer him to sit out matches than play out of position, he will get his chance if or when bailey gets injued or picks up to many bookings. You should maybe be a bit more concerned for Racon who doesn't seem to be able to find any kind of form at the moment he has been moved from attacking midfield to left midfield to holding midfield and doesn't seem comfortable in any of those places at the moment. It would seem there are not many postions left to try at the moment and from doing so well the first six games of the season he's just gone backwards and needs to get some confidence from somewhere,so that is a worry and it must be frustrating him.
  • Options
    You don't have to be a greyhound to be a decent full-back, although it does help.

Stuart Pearce was probably the best left-back in the world in the 1990's but was not renowned as a speed-merchant - he was nowhere near as quick as Cashley Cole but a far, far better full-back because of his other qualities.

Pearce's strengths were his power, aggression and positioning as well as being a superb dead-ball merchant.

You could make the same argument in favor of another 1990's full-back, the Everton/Rangers man Gary Stevens.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Excellent post from Uncle. The young man is lucky to have such sound people around him offering such sage advice.

We keep saying Shelvey is ''only 17'' but he'll be 18 in two months and IMO at that age should be capable of playing regularly if he's as fine a player as we all think.

There's a long list of Charlton greats from Keith Peacock to Paul Walsh to Robert Lee to Lee Bowyer all of whom held down permanent places in the side at 18.

I'm glad Jonjo is content that Charlton are winning but I hope he is frustated at sitting on the bench,too, because a good and ambitious young player should be !
  • Options
    The problem with Basey playing full back too often is that teams will start to plan to attack him with pace. Most managers won't have heard of him but every time he gets turned it draws attention to his weakness. I do hope he succeeds in making it as a CH or DM which i think his attributes are more suited to.
  • Options
    i wondered what the hoo-haa was with sodje but it does appear that he rudely trod on barnards hand and i think/hope that's out of character for him ....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    Basey's lack of pace should be more of a concern to you than Jonjo being frustrated. He isn't able to overlap the winger like Youga does and that why whoever plays left wing in front of him struggles at times. The reason Bailey was so successful out there for so long was because he had You bombing past him,pulling the defender out of the way and creating space. Basey cant offer that, Jonjo is as you say only 17 and knows his time will come he is learning despite not playing and i'm suprised you think you cant learn or improve without playing.

Basey can overlap the winger - he did for the second goal against Brighton. I accept that he doesn't do it as often as Youga though. Still think he's a decent backup for left back/left midfield, which is what he is. He's still improving, never going to be the finished article after 20 (ish) starts for us.

Was very impressed by Southend's number 3 (who just pipped their no.26 for best player in my view). Great delivery from dead balls and often bombed down the flank to support the winger. When Barcelona come in for Youga we can get him as replacement. Turns out he's only just signed for them, and is on loan from Wolves - Scott Malone.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]
    I'm glad Jonjo is content that Charlton are winning but I hope he is frustated at sitting on the bench,too, because a good and ambitious young player should be !

I am not sure why you want him frustrated... He as i said is very happy and still learning,he of course wants to be in the first team every player should but i think you are confusing frustration with hunger and desire. Both of which he has plenty of. So as i saaid to you before,you needn't worry
  • Options
    Of course pace benefits any player and gives him that edge, but generally Basey is coping despite not being blessed with electric acceleration. At fullback he is naturally being compared with Youga, who does have the benefit of quick feet.

Basey does overlap and get forward into good positions - but he will intelligently pass his way rather than attempt to take on the defender. Which is just commonsense, as it means he's fully aware of his weaknesses and his strengths.

Different players have different attributes ..... it's the manager's job to find the most effective team blend.