Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

charlton v swindon - post match views

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
Keep em to this threas, ta

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2009
    An absolutely heroic effort, after idiotic behaviour by both Sam Sodje and Burton. Both deserved red cards. It wasn't pretty, but every one of those that stayed on the pitch should be proud of their performance. Short on quality, but bodies were thrown on the line and fitness levels held out despite the numeric disadvantage.

I laugh in the face of all those that left early.
  • Options
    So good to see a Charlton team, and Charlton crown, really up for a game, even at 1-2 and down to nine men. I'm hoarse from today, I expect many others are too.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sodje and Burton were absolutley stoopid the lack of discipline shown was ridiculous.

The ref didnt do too much wrong in my mind however the lines man on the far side was appalingmissing blatent offsides there was hands all over Burton and Sodje useless fat bstd he was proper shite.

at one point i told him if he didnt put hgis flag up for the next offside or foul i would shove his flag so far up his arse it would reach the remains of his xmas turkey. he duly obliged and within a min we had a free kickj

imo PP should have put 2 up straight after ht we invited pressure on and we duly gave them 2 goals. at 10 men we looked extreemly disorganised and clueless as to what changes should be made.

PP got out of jail today
  • Options
    One of the proudest moment of my life as a Charlton supporter, truly a magnificent effort from 9 heroes. In a game sabotaged by one of the most inept refereeing displays I have ever seen we responded with the kind of footballing spirit that any supporter of any team would love to see in their squad. I was sitting in East stand today right next to the Swindon fans and loved rubbing it in right at the end... brilliant. Well done lads.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sodge deserved his red - silly tackle
    burtons first yellow was harsh as the ref was pretty shocking missing the penalty on akpo. Second yellow I think he'd have got a penalty as again he was being tugged. Silly time for a handball though Deon!

That aside I thought Akpo was a colossus up front on his own. Not technically gifted but really pushed his weight around

semedo filling in was magnificent at the back
    robbie looked more assured today
    basey did very well
    llera - beautiful goal from the big fella
    bailey ran his socks off
    omozusi is growing on me - could be a useful player to keep

basically everyone that started and not sent off was superb

a draw that feels like a win!

Parky did a great job today. Everyone could see we'd be up against it in the second half but he kept to his gameplan and we got the deserved point
  • Options
    The ref didnt do too much wrong in my mind
    Absolute cock.

Sodje's sending off was never a straight red and Burtons first booking was a joke.
  • Options
    Burton ran 15 20 yards to swear at the ref for missing the akpo decision it was a pen but akpo fell over pretty easily for a fair bit and i can see why the ref didnt give it, the lino on that side was better placed yet he hardly gave fudge all all game
  • Options
    Burton ran 15 20 yards to swear at the ref for missing the akpo decision it was a pen but akpo fell over pretty easily for a fair bit and i can see why the ref didnt give it, the lino on that side was better placed yet he hardly gave fudge all all game

Really? Swearing? You clearly have much better hearing than anyone in the ground then. When that Swindon defender threw his arms around Burton and chucked him on the ground in the penalty area , I supposed he was doing a great job in not awarding a penalty; which it clearly was.
  • Options
    Can't moan about the sending off's.

The referee did though produce one of the most puzzling performances I have seen for a long time. His lino's didn't help either.

Burton and Sodje need to do some apologising to their team-mates
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Do we know Burton swore at the ref? There were plenty of Swindon players giving verbal and none of them got a yellow. That's what gets reasonable people racked off with refs, lack of consistency. The handball looked stupid, for sure, but it seems all a bit unlike Burton.

Otherwise, fantastic. To the accolades above, I'd add Waggy. He looked really up for it, and terrified their defence. His run at the defence and early cross nearly resulted in a goal from McKenzie, and was exactly what Lloyd Sam didnt do enough against Millwall.

We should all be proud of them. I was glad to have been there to see it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really proud of the boys today and the spirit shown against 12 men.

No real argument with the Sam Sodje sending off. It was a bad challenge and sometimes you are lucky and just get a yellow for those but more often than not a red. What annoyed me was the way the referee ignored the persistent holding by Swindon players and immediately flashed a yellow at Charlton players who pointed out that fact which indirectly led to the dismissal of Burton. To summarise the referee was an inconsistent tosser and I hope Parky has the balls to give him a mark of 0. Our 9 men will now be knackered for the Brentford game so that incompetent twat could well yet cost us more points.

However all credit to our lads once again for messing up Mr P Miller's pools coupon.
  • Options
    i was sitting 2 rows from the front in the west stand and trust me burton swore i was looking right at deon when he told the ref in no certain terms what he thought of the decision you could read his lips, the most ridiculous thing of the whole day was the people that clapped both sodje and burton from the field of play their indiscipline was horrendous and totally unacceptable yet people stood and clapped them that was even more stupid than the 2 players decisions
  • Options
    If a player swears at a referee, he doesn't get a yellow card - he gets a straight red.

Burton got a yellow.
  • Options
    The thing that puzzles me about the Sodje red card challenge ..... he'd been off the pitch for some time with a head injury, then he makes a hopelessly mistimed and unnecessary challenge on the edge of the Swindon box.

Any connection with a head injury and irrational timing?
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Agree on clapping the red cards, very silly and not to be applauded.
    Makes you feel good that we've got that Charlton spirit back to be able to fight back against the odds. Everyone ran their legs off and didn't give up right until the last.
    Makes me worried about Monday's game though, they're all going to be knackered.
  • Options
    heroics? lets get it straight.........2 home games 2 points......not good enough.........these were 2 key games we should have won regardless of the activities within each game, charlton threw the games away...
    no stregnth in depth....and cant see us improving as the season turns the corner.........
    promotion....no chance, playoffs.....a deflating dream.....time to get real as the real promotion power horses gather pace.....

prove me wrong, but while this club is still run by the same idiots with no money and no ambition, and no bloody idea,ecxept how to slowly bleed a club dry, it aint going to change.....

these people have proved consistenly that cannot run a club, tell me has something changed?.....i think not, and it will not......look forward to 2010
  • Options
    We may never know what Burton said to the ref, but whatever it was he should have known better. Challenging a (non) decision is the job of his captain, and Burton has been around long enough to know that. The 2nd card for deliberate handball was an equally stupid action by the player in these or any circumstances.

If Sodje hadn't been given a straight red for that challenge, it would have been a miracle fitting of the time of the year. The miracle was a little longer in arriving - 93 minutes, actually!

Immense performance by the other 9 players - though Akpo S contributed little other than bulk and a nudge in the build-up to Jonjo's goal. Having said that, what little he did was right for the occasion, but would hope that McKenzie or Dicko get that shirt on Monday - maybe both with Burton's suspension.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i was sitting 2 rows from the front in the west stand and trust me burton swore

Well fair enough, you have the best view re Burton. I just think most players swear when disputing decisions. I do! :-) If Burton said "that was an effing penalty" then I think any decent ref should just call him over and remind him who's in charge. If he said "you're a Effing ****, ref" then sure its a card. The ridiculous booking of Basey makes me suspect this ref has a Napoleon complex.
  • Options
    It'll be players like Akpo, Spring and Bailey that are going to be well knackered.

There's fresh legs to come in like Sam, Dicko, Racon, Waggy, etc
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: denmanra[/cite]heroics? lets get it straight.........2 home games 2 points......not good enough.........these were 2 key games we should have won regardless of the activities within each game, charlton threw the games away...
    no stregnth in depth....and cant see us improving as the season turns the corner.........
    promotion....no chance, playoffs.....a deflating dream.....time to get real as the real promotion power horses gather pace.....

prove me wrong, but while this club is still run by the same idiots with no money and no ambition, and no bloody idea,ecxept how to slowly bleed a club dry, it aint going to change.....

these people have proved consistenly that cannot run a club, tell me has something changed?.....i think not, and it will not......look forward to 2010
    Think the easiest thing to do would be for everyone to just ignore this one!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ollywozere[/cite]Think the easiest thing to do would be for everyone to just ignore this one!

Good advice. Where's my turkey sandwich?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: denmanra[/cite]heroics? lets get it straight.........2 home games 2 points......not good enough.........these were 2 key games we should have won regardless of the activities within each game, charlton threw the games away...

Can you let us know if you're a wind up merchant or just a knob head?
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Lol
  • Options
    What a great moment when Miguel fired home the equaliser. Swindon were nothing today and but for 3 goal line clearenses while we had 9 men we would have won. Every one of the players that managed to not get sent off were magnificent today.

The ref was a joke. How the hell did the guy that chopped down Waggy at the end escape a yellow card, and how did the linesman in front of the West stand miss the blatant penalty for the foul on Akpo.

Deon should know better and if we are honest Sam Sodje walks the red card tightrope every game with some of his tackles, but it's because of his heart on the sleeve attitiude that we love him so much.

Well done PP for going for it at the end. Many will blame him for the sendings off but what could he do about them. His celebration at the end showed everyone that he is fully commited. The 2 guys directly behind me left as soon as we went 1-2 down, so at least I didn't have to listen to their moaning for the last 20 minutes.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i was sitting 2 rows from the front in the west stand and trust me burton swore

Well fair enough, you have the best view re Burton. I just think most players swear when disputing decisions. I do! :-) If Burton said "that was an effing penalty" then I think any decent ref should just call him over and remind him who's in charge. If he said "you're a Effing ****, ref" then sure its a card. The ridiculous booking of Basey makes me suspect this ref has a Napoleon complex.

it was not a tirade of obcenitarys like rooney but he was very agresive in his actions and his language he deserved a yellow for what he did, he knew it you could see it in his expression the thing is players get away with far too much when they do thse things and when you come up against a ref who wont take it you get booked, his hand ball was ridiculous though and out of all the players i expected more from him.
  • Options
    How could anyone leave??

Also clapping the 2 nerks that got sent off!!

Bailey was OUTSTANDING! His enthusiasm and bottle was a major factor why we kept going.

Props to Semedo for doing a great job and for covering constantly for Llera.

Really enjoyed the passion today and I havent said that for Ages!!
  • Options
    Falconwood 1, I take it that you are not a Miguel fan. They covered for each other. I don't recall him making too many mistakes, if any, today. Mind you what was he doing loitering in Swindons penalty area in the 94th minute, he's a defender and should have been back defending.
  • Options
    Llera is a Charlton player in the true sense of that term.

Limited maybe but gives his all and doesn't give up. Today epitomised that and I'm glad he got a litle bit of glory.
  • Options
    Can you let us know if you're a wind up merchant or just a knob head?[/quote]

certainaly......either, as both obvioulsy have an attraction to you......and is that the best argument you can give against my comments to disprove my thoughts........go pull another christmas cracker.........lol
  • Options
    Great end to the game and glad for a point, but Swindon were very poor and absolutely there for the taking today. I thought we started brightly and even after Sodje's ridiculous tackle I thought we would go on to win comfortably with 10 men. Why on earth is Sodje flying in with 2 feet at the oppositions end of the pitch? Heart on sleave is one thing but that is just crazy and he needs to get more savvy very quickly because both his red's this season have ended up costing us points, which is simply not good enough for a professional.

As for Burton, he got booked for the worst thing you can get booked for (especially when you are a seasoned pro), how hard is it to keep your mouth shut for goodness sake, then to get yourself sent off for a stupid handball shortly after is crazy.

Really glad for the rest of the lads though who battled against the odds, threw themselves in front of shots all over our area and nicked the goal at the death. Also glad for Parky who's tactics IMO were spot on.

We stay 2nd, we keep our unbeaten home record in tact are the positives....we would have won (and comfortably) but for a couple of idiots is the negative.

However, idiot(s) of the match have to go to all those people who gave standing ovations to either of the sent off players - what a bunch of morons, and what shocked me more is that those same people around me who did that could not be bothered to clap Omozusi, Jonjo or Sodje (A) off when they were subbed after stirling efforts.