Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

charlton v swindon - post match views

Comments

• Options
    The Llera goal could be a season defining moment, great moment, massive boost to morale and the team will feel unbeatable now, well I hope so.

Got to hope the momentum gets them through on Monday and we get a win
  • Options
    Seth asks how long Sodje waqs on the pitch. He was sent off in the 18th and was off for 6minutes for treatment so 12 minutes!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]Llera took his goal well even though i had left beforehand

I can never understand this - the game only lasts 90 mins (100 if you count injury time etc) and a goal can be scored at any time, so why leave early ? Do you come in 10 mins after the start, I doubt it, so why leave early ? I can understand it there was a plane to catch (very unlikely) or a wedding to attend (and then only if its yours!) otherwise anything else can wait.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]Llera took his goal well even though i had left beforehand

I can never understand this - the game only lasts 90 mins (100 if you count injury time etc) and a goal can be scored at any time, so why leave early ? Do you come in 10 mins after the start, I doubt it, so why leave early ? I can understand it there was a plane to catch (very unlikely) or a wedding to attend (and then only if its yours!) otherwise anything else can wait.[/quote]

These are the same people who leave the cinema just before the end and read all but the last 10 pages of a book
  • Options
    No excuses for Sodje and Burton for me. Sodje's was a red every day of the week and I applauded neither player as they left the field of play. Burton's first caution whether he swore or not or whether it was a poor decision by the ref (which I thought it was) or not you cannot run that far to shout and wave your arms about at the referee, you're asking to be booked for dissent as the Swindon 9 was and as Basey was (he was booked for showing dissent by action for the ref giving a clear goal kick). The second one Burton had lost it. I do agree that the ref did little or nothing to curb the over physical play by the Swindon back 4 though with shoves in the back, elbows going flying and holding. Then the incident with the Swindon left back happened with Akpo and nothing is done, not sure if it was a pen or a free kick on the edge but doesn't excuse Burton's unprofessional reaction. That's the job of Bailey as captain to approach and talk to the referee.
    As regards the performance the 9 other players were heroic and the equaliser was rightly celebrated like we'd won the league. Still cannot believe the skill of Llera's control and the deftness of the finish especially for a centre back who's usual trick is to simply smash the thing forward. Big positives to come out of it and some real talking points. A real Christmas cracker of a game.

Elliot 8, Omozusi 7, Llera 7, S Sodje 0, Basey 7; Shelvey 7, Spring 7, Semedo 8, Bailey 8; Burton 0, A Sodje 8.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]Llera took his goal well even though i had left beforehand

I can never understand this - the game only lasts 90 mins (100 if you count injury time etc) and a goal can be scored at any time, so why leave early ? Do you come in 10 mins after the start, I doubt it, so why leave early ? I can understand it there was a plane to catch (very unlikely) or a wedding to attend (and then only if its yours!) otherwise anything else can wait.

These are the same people who leave the cinema just before the end and read all but the last 10 pages of a book

Hold my hands up to this, just this once.
    Enjoyed the beer in the Oak to much and missed the start. It is christmas after all.
    And I HAD to leave on the 80th minute,wife was waiting for me to take me to the mother in laws. The 70 minutes I did see thought we would of easily beat Swindon if it were not for the sudden rushes of blood to head of Burton and Sodje (no pun intended)
    Sods law I missed the end but then again with 11 players on the pitch I'm sure we'd have wrapped the game up by half time.
  • Options
    Those ratings - can't say I agree!

Sodje maybe a zero but Burton did well in his time

the other 9 deserve nothing lower than 8's or 9's IMO - really was a great effort today

forgot to mention Spring in my earlier analysis - he was excellent today
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]As regards the performance the 9 other players were heroic and the equaliser was rightly celebrated like we'd won the league.
    Elliot 8, Omozusi 7, Llera 7, S Sodje 0, Basey 7; Shelvey 7, Spring 7, Semedo 8, Bailey 8; Burton 0, A Sodje 8.

Wow Spankie, 7's and 8's all round for a "heroic" - your words - performance? No, stop it - you're just being far too generous!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]Llera took his goal well even though i had left beforehand

I don't understand people who are constantly negative Golfie, but such is life.
  • Options
    Was going to comment on the game but having read so much tripe; what's the point? 90% of you should read the laws of the game at least before slagging off the ref.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AKPO was puffing out his backside after his big effort and wished Parky had gone for it earlier making those subs.

Didnt clap either players off but did wonder if SSodje actions had been affected by his knock to the head?

Someone mentioned the ref having a napoleonic attitude - possible - he was certainly short enough quite comical when him and Basey were having a discussion!

An entertaining game and was just about to leave but sat back down and celebrated that goal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Spankie[/cite]As regards the performance the 9 other players were heroic and the equaliser was rightly celebrated like we'd won the league.

Wow Spankie, 7's and 8's all round for a "heroic" - your words - performance? No, stop it - you're just being far too generous!!!

Ok then, add on 1 point to all!!! My bad....
  • Options

What an odd conclusion to that report, "Charlton supporters are suffering more than anyone else at present". And there was I thinking I'd witnessed two of the most entertaining games in a long time, whilst stretching our unbeaten home run to 18.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Didn't enjoy it in the least. To sit there and watch our lads chasing shadows for 50 minutes wasn't the way I wanted to spend my boxing day.

I'd have Burton and Sodje down the training ground on Monday doing extra training.

"We've got Sam Sodje, he's a liability" should be his new song.
  • Options
    Outstanding effort from those that stayed on the pitch and Smodje and Burton should be buying all of them a few pints as they rescued something from a game we should have lost thank's to their rank stupidity. Their were some weird decisions by the ref but he got the big one's right imo - I had a good view of the Apodje penalty incident and the holding was taking place just outside the box, Sodje then threw himself to ground, inside the box, once he'd turned and the Swindon guy had let go of him. Not a Penalty but should have been a free kick imo. The ref did let too much holding by defenders go and Swindonj probably should have had a couple of players in the book themselves, but he wasn't the man at fault for yesterday - the blame lies squarely with the two players who gave him little alternative but to send them off. Basey was also bound to get booked for his petulant reaction, albeit that I fully sympathised with his frustration. Shelvey was lucky not to go in th book too for that needless shuv on the swindon player as the ball ran out of play.

Still, another great afternoon's entertainment, still undefeated at home and I've not celebrated so wildly for seasons.
  • Options
    In the player ratings thread someone gave Akpo 5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As already stated above by Seth his effort and tireless running where inspirational and without his presense I am not sure we would have got anything. Unless a striker scores a goal some people just cannot see what contribution they often make. Burton for instance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]In the player ratings thread someone gave Akpo 5 !!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
    Unbelievable.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Can't moan at the ref for either sending off. Swidon were bad and had we kept 11 or even 10 players on the pitch we would have won. Always felt that if it stayed at 2-1 we had a chance. Swindon seem to take thier foot off the gas after the second, perhap trying to save themselves for the game on Monday.Great goal from Llera. I wonder the effect our effort will have on the team for Monday.
    No matter how bad last week was we let them in score in the last minute, can you imaine being a Swindon fan travelling back after letting one against nine men.
  • Options
    The heroic 9 were brilliant. Not much mention on here of Matt Spring but I thought he was one of our best players - he worked his socks off.

Sam Sodje needs to keep his head better - that's twice now he's made rash tackles and been sent off this season.He will now miss 4 matches, just at the time in the season we really might need him. Very surprised at Burton - he should have known better, especially as we were down to 10 men at the time.

Thought the ref and linesmen were awful - they seemed determined to penalise us at every opportunity but showed Swindon utmost leniency. Even when Swindon scored, the goalscorer wasn't booked for running to the crowd when most other refs would have shown a yellow card.

It really did feel like a win in the end - just hope that the players aren't too tired on Monday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    “We were very positive in our approach. A lot of teams have suffered here but we haven’t,” Wilson suggested.

A lot of teams that came here never had to play against 9 men for an hour Danny!
  • Options
    If we had played for most of a match against 9 men and only drawn trhe fury on CL would have been enormous, looked at the swindon board on 606, seemed to be quite accepting, decent point, would have acceptede it before hand etc,. Now that is unbelievable.

Regarding Akpoe, there was a point in the 2nd half where he and JJ were by the lewft wing either just inside or just outside our half, Akpoe fed the ball to JJ who then ran into Swindons half to just outside the D, Akpoe, stayed where he was and gave no support to the on his own JJ. Question: Was this lazy Akpoe,or was it instrustions to not foray up and expose the remaining 7. The guy next to me clearly felt it was the former, I assumed the latter, anyone else remember the incident and have a view?
  • Options
    Have to say, I thought our midfield three were absolutely magnificent. From my (luxury, padded) seat in the West Upper I was right in line with the line they were holding and they did fantastically well shuffling accross one and then shuffling back again as Swindon tried to lay down the flanks, always filling the gaps and getting back into position.

Both full backs coped well with little or no cover in front of them and the two centre halfs stood up and were strong - Semedo in particular but Llera was also immense.

Akpo up front did brilliantly well holding up the ball and keeping three or four defenders busy - like running onto his own flick on for example. Parky got the tactics and subs spot on.

Overall a magnificent performance against incredible odds. Anyone who has played the game knows how difficult in can be to play with 10 but you can adopt a mindset and use the adversity in your favour. However, nine men is a completely different kettle of fish - paricularly for an hour - and they desrve our utmost respect for the way they battled on and ran their hearts out. Have to say that, in this context, some of the comments on this thread are truly baffling - like the fella behind me who kept shoutng that we were giving them too much space and should be closing them down more, when we had nine men ffs! - but then the world is full of idiots!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Regarding Akpoe, there was a point in the 2nd half where he and JJ were by the lewft wing either just inside or just outside our half, Akpoe fed the ball to JJ who then ran into Swindons half to just outside the D, Akpoe, stayed where he was and gave no support to the on his own JJ. Question: Was this lazy Akpoe,or was it instrustions to not foray up and expose the remaining 7. The guy next to me clearly felt it was the former, I assumed the latter, anyone else remember the incident and have a view?

As I said above Kap10, some people are complete idiots and want to see us play the same way with 9 than we would with 11. To me the tactics were spot on, hang in there and defend and if we're still in it then go for it in the last 5 or 10 minutes. It was the only way.
  • Options
    I thought the ref was spot on to send them both off. The way we set-up with 9 men second half was pretty good with Omozusi and Basey playing wing-backs and the midfield 3 running their socks off. Thought we might even hold out to win 1-0 with Swindons poor finishing. I liked the way Akpo put himself about and will be sad to see him go back to Wednesday if he does. Elliot's urgency, although kicking was poor at times, kept the side trying to get forward. Mckenzie didn't have the same desire to pressure their defence as Akpo did but Dicko seemed like a different player to the lazy nob-head he looked at the start of the season and provided a good cameo performance as did Waggy.

Congrats to the hardworking players who all put in a great shift, also to Phil and the rest of the backroom staff for keeping us in touch with Leeds without spending a penny on transfers - halfway through the season and 47pts, I'm very happy with that!!
  • Options
    2 points from 2 home games isn't good enough regardless of the details. Having players sent off stupidly shouldn't be an excuse for dropping points, it's the reason for dropping points.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]2 points from 2 home games isn't good enough regardless of the details. Having players sent off stupidly shouldn't be an excuse for dropping points, it's the reason for dropping points.

I disagree.

Looking at the two games before we played them I think we all would've wanted/expected at least 4 points on paper. However, football isn't played on paper and things happen in a match that you can't expect and can plan for only to an extent, in which case you have to re-evaluate your expectations as the game progresses. Sendings off is a good example of this, as are injuries.

Getting a point when you have played for an hour with 9 men is a fantastic achievement in any level of football and no matter who you are playing, so in that context it can't be anything other than a point gained, even if before the match we expected all three. Therefore a point is "good enough" in my view.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]2 points from 2 home games isn't good enough regardless of the details. Having players sent off stupidly shouldn't be an excuse for dropping points, it's the reason for dropping points.
    What a ridiculous thing to say!! It's a VERY long season and you just have to gather points where you can, over 46 games. No team is ever going to win all their games, so in the circumstances we take 2 points from the last 2 games and move on to the next one. Our season to date is more than good enough, the last 2 games are just part of the much bigger picture. And those 2 games showed me an incredible team spirit and fighting determination that will hold us in good stead in the 2nd half of the season.
  • Options
    Good cameo by Dickson

But not as good as this one

cameo20.jpg
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red_Pete[/cite]
    What a ridiculous thing to say!! It's a VERY long season and you just have to gather points where you can, over 46 games. No team is ever going to win all their games, so in the circumstances we take 2 points from the last 2 games and move on to the next one. Our season to date is more than good enough, the last 2 games are just part of the much bigger picture. And those 2 games showed me an incredible team spirit and fighting determination that will hold us in good stead in the 2nd half of the season.

Dont think its a rediculous opinion, the way I look at it, the past 2 games were there to be won. We didnt and thats 4 points dropped we will have to get else where. We did well with 9 men to salvage a point yesterday but we shouldnt have put ourselves in that postion. Millwall last week we battled well to come back from 0-2 down to being 4-3 up with seconds to go and choked.
    The end of this season might be tight between the top 3 I would hate to have to look back and point to a couple of games that were there for the taking and think "what if".