Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

has curbs...

turned into Oleary/Hoddle/Graham...

Will we see him back in the gmae any time soon????

he seems to have disppeared, I know he only recently got his west ham thing settled, but I just cant really see where he will go???

Comments

• Options
    im sure he will be back soon,done well at both the clubs he has managed,do a good job for reading i reckon.
  • Options
    Well if Bolton fans were unhappy with Megson's brand of football, I highly doubt he'll be on his way there!
  • Options
    It's a good point. He's got to be careful about how long he chooses to stay out of the game. I appreciate most of the time he has spent away from football has be due with his West Ham compensation etc. However, the longer he stays out of the game, the easier it become for people to forget about him. I think he should take the Bolton job if it comes his way.
  • Options
    he done well at westham,look at them now,and could you get more westham than him,the family is real eastend,never understood why they never took to him,i thought the football the season they stayed up was brillant at times .
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    He was interviewed recently and asked whether he had not taken another job because he was waiting for the Hammers Court Case to be settled. He denied it and said that no Club had come in for him. He will need to lower his sights and start at a lower Premier League/Championship Club and build from there.

The other aspect to all of this is that (and obviously we're an exception in that respect) new Employers don't tend to like to see that you sued your last Employer particularly when Managers do tend to leave "by mutual consent" mid term of a contract.
  • Options
    In terms of his performance here and at west ham he deserves a top job, not a Bolton. But the big clubs won't go near him, prefering even an average foreign manager.

Its a dilemna for him.
  • Options
    The reason they never took to him at West Ham was they expected a more 'entertaining' style of football and not to be playing 4-5-1 against fellow strugglers. Fair enough you could say if, like we found out, it proved effective but in fact it wasn't proving all that successful and it was only the form of Tevez in the last 1/3 of the season that kept them up. Had Tevez not been in the form of his life they'd have been in the Championship with us and the Hammers saw that, hence it all went tits up so quickly. The next season he got them to mid-table but to be fair, with a squad like they had at the time and the money he had spent that should have been expected shouldn't it?

From memory, I think he won only as many games as he lost so don't agree that his time there 'entitles' him to a top job, maybe what he achieved with us did but not with West Ham IMO.
  • Options
    when did it go tits up?
  • Options
    done brillant at west ham kept them up when they were all but doomed,tevez was brillant but so were plenty other in the last 3rd of the season,mid table next season not to shy.
  • Options
    curbs has not failed anywhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    some people can't see the wood for the trees.
  • Options
    the way he kept them up was something else. i thought they were finished when we beat them.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Curbs for the first time in his Managerial Career had money. His initial siginings were:

Boa Morte - £5m
    Quashie - £1.5m
    Davenport - £3m
    Neill - £1.5m
    Upson - £6m

Upson was the sole decent buy.

Lucas Neill moved there because the Hammers were prepared a ridiculous salary for a man of his talents (as opposed to going to Liverpool for less). He eventually left on a free.

Spending almost £10m on the other three is frankly laughable and the fact that they haven't managed 50 starts between them means, including wages, that they have probably cost the Club £500,000 a match.

In the next season he spent £6m on Dyer who was a known crock and £3m on a spent force in the shape of Freddie Ljunberg.

Given all of that it's not too surprising that they are in their current financial state.

He also sold Konchesky and Paintsil for a total of £3m to Fulham and they have been fixtures in probably the most consistently successful back four in the Premiership.

I would suggest that the Jury is still out as to whether Curbs can manage a top Club.

Notwithstanding all of that I would probably still have him back because he is proven at getting the most out of us - up to Marsh anyway!
  • Options
    A West Ham View

not that some people will read through their blinkers. but it was from the end of last season. now with west ham in probably going down this year, his record there looks even better still.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]when did it go tits up?

I meant from a point of view of the supporters failing to get behind him. Of course, I'd settle for it going tits up like that here and still being in the Prem but my point was that, in the circumstances, I don't think he did an outstanding job at West Ham which makes him a shoe in for a bigger job than somewhere like Bolton which others were suggesting. Performed miracles with us, no argument, but at West Ham, with that squad and with Tevez in that form I don't think so. All my family and many of my friends are West Ham fans so it was interesting to see how their perception of him changed over the 18 months or so. All of them, without exception, point to Tevez' form as the main reason they stayed up not Curbs management and to be fair we'd have stayed up too if we'd had him in the team.
  • Options
    yet others would point to their 5 clean sheets after being thumped by us as the reason they stayed up. the 4-5-1 system that you poured scorn at seemed to be exactly what was needed to stay up.

tevez had been there all season,how come he suddenly came good? couldn't be anything to do with the manager i guess.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]yet others would point to their 5 clean sheets after being thumped by us as the reason they stayed up. the 4-5-1 system that you poured scorn at seemed to be exactly what was needed to stay up.

tevez had been there all season,how come he suddenly came good? couldn't be anything to do with the manager i guess.

I don't know where you're going with this but I'm in no way anti-Curbs, and of course he had a lot to do with them staying up and getting the best out of Tevez (getting him match fit and playing for starters unlike the plum before him...) all I'm saying is that some people on this thread are suggesting that he performed exceptional well at West Ham and that entitles him to a crack at a 'big' club. I disagree, saying that most good managers, with that those quality of players at his disposal and that amount of games left in a season should have had a better than average chance of keeping them up and that's exactly what he did. I'm not saying he failed in the job because he clearly didn't but I don't go along with the theory he performed miracles there either.

I agree that in comparison to Zola since, Curbs looks like a genius but I suspect that, even now, most West Ham fans would not want him back.
  • Options
    Tevez only came good once WHU had a decent manager who knew how to get the best out of him. His signings there may not have been the most glamorous but they all did their job in keeping WHU up. Could they really expect much better than mid table? Don't forget they were hardly an established premier league team at the time either. All the WHU fans I know would have him back tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]I agree that in comparison to Zola since, Curbs looks like a genius but I suspect that, even now, most West Ham fans would not want him back.

yep. i go along with that.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]yet others would point to their 5 clean sheets after being thumped by us as the reason they stayed up. the 4-5-1 system that you poured scorn at seemed to be exactly what was needed to stay up.

I don't know where you're going with this but I'm in no way anti-Curbs, and of course he had a lot to do with them staying up and getting the best out of Tevez (getting him match fit and playing for starters unlike the plum before him...) all I'm saying is that some people on this thread are suggesting that he performedexceptionalwell at West Ham and that entitles him to a crack at a 'big' club. I disagree, saying that most good managers, with that those quality of players at his disposal and that amount of games left in a season should have had a better than average chance of keeping them up and that's exactly what he did. I'm not saying he failed in the job because he clearly didn't but I don't go along with the theory he performed miracles there either.

I agree that in comparison to Zola since, Curbs looks like a genius but I suspect that, even now, most West Ham fans would not want him back.

And I've yet to see any comment from Threadkiller about Curbs' contribution to their financial situation. Dyer, Davenport, Boa Morte and Quashie are all still under contract that because no one wants to buy them or they are not good enough or too unfit to play in the first team!

Meanwhile Curbs rejects Murphy, Zamora, Konchesky and Paintsil have helped Fulham to 9th place in the Premiership and the last 32 in the Europa League.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2010
    let's do the maths then. how much would relegation have cost the club and how much did he save the club by securing premiership football?

also,do you think that 7 wins out of the last 9 is a bad investment?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]let's do the maths then. how much would relegation have cost the club and how much did he save the club by securing premiership football?

Who spent all the money and wages on those average players and why are the Hammers in the financial state they are now? We rightly slate Pards and Dowie for the crap they bought but surely you can see that Curbs contributed to the financial state they are now in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]

For a player to play well, he has to be selected to play in the first place.

Pardew had Tevez foisted upon him - good player no doubt, but he wasn't Pardew's man.
    Consequently he made very few appearances.

Curbs at least played Tevez, but from what I can remember without checking, the player's impact on his first number of games under Curbs was pretty unspectacular. In fact, by the time we thumped West Ham 4-0 late February, I don't believe Tevez had scored at all.

All his goals came in a late flourish in around the last 6 weeks of the season.

Curbs got a fantastic result beating Man U in his first match in charge, but it went tits up very quickly from then on,.

Remember their 6-0 defeat at Reading ..... 4-0 down at half time, so Curbs started the 2nd half with 2 more defenders?
    Damage limitation, he himself called it.

But credit to Curbs for keeping West Ham up in those last few weeks ...... but he did ride his luck.

That jammy late 2-1 win at Blackburn with a blatantly offside goal and another punched in.
    The 1-0 win at Arsenal, where West Ham were absolutely pulverised but somehow Zamora converted their only chance.
    And that miraculous 1-0 win at Old Trafford in the final match, where again West Ham should have lost by a cricket score.

And to cap it all, the fates conspired at Bramall Lane where Sheff Utd committed Prem suicide to get relegated instead of Wigan. And which was the result there that could miraculously keep West Ham up.

Did I forget to mention how in the 'Tevez affair' West Ham were slapped across the wrist with a financial fine - virtually unpunished, and incredibly no points deduction. What a farce, what a scam, what a stitch up .....thank God there was maybe a Trevor Brooking pulling strings to save them?

What a run of incredible good fortune.

The gods conspired to keep West Ham up, they couldn't have done on it their own.
    With or without Curbs.
  • Options
    that was the other one i forgot, curbs was lucky.......

you couldn't make it up!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]that was the other one i forgot, curbs was lucky.......

you couldn't make it up!

But you can't deny he had an incredible run of good fortune......... even at Bramall Lane, where a Sheff Utd draw or victory would still have relegated West Ham.

And the Tevez affair, playing an illegally registered player ....... it's never happened at any other club without that club being punished by a points deduction.

These were events that Curbs had no control of whatsoever ...... and without them happening in the way they did, West Ham would have been relegated anyway, whatever Curbs did.

I'll say it again. Curbs was incredibly fortunate that time.
  • Options
    securing premiership football is said to be worth £60m now per season. those players cost what...£15m?

i'm no archimedes but i make it a profit on curbs behalf.
  • Options
    Curbs needs to leave the country and manage abroad if he wants a top division job, really cant see anyone in prem taking him up other than maybe a wigan or someone similar, This is one of the main reasons many of our good or promising managers never become great managers of the game, you have to do it in different countries/leagues.
  • Options
    Why do so many of our fans dislike Alan Curbishley (hate is too strong a word) and refuse to acknowledge his tremendous achievements for us?

Why not give the man the credit he deserves? Dowie and Pardew were touted as "bright young things" yet couldn't keep us up between them although doubtless it will be Cubs' fault for the crap squad he left rather than the money they spunked.

You may all resent Curbs getting the job rather than Steve Gritt but he did a marvellous job as can be seen by the way we dropped like a stone once he left.

Too many of us didn't appreciate playing at The Valley at the pinnacle of English football and just moaned about boring football on 606 and the like.

No wonder Curbs got pissed off with us and left!
  • Options
    So Threadkiller given all the reasons that we've given for Curbs still being out of work (and that he has stated that he has been available from the moment he left the Hammers) why he's not managing now. The following jobs from the Championship and the Premiership have all been filled in that time:

Newcastle
    Middlesborough
    W B A
    Man City
    Sunderland
    Portsmouth
    Blackburn
    Wigan
    Nottingham Forest
    Swansea
    Q P R
    Derby
    Ipswich
    Reading
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]So Threadkiller given all the reasons that we've given for Curbs still being out of work (and that he has stated that he has been available from the moment he left the Hammers) why he's not managing now. The following jobs from the Championship and the Premiership have all been filled in that time:

Newcastle
    Middlesborough
    W B A
    Man City
    Sunderland
    Portsmouth
    Blackburn
    Wigan
    Nottingham Forest
    Swansea
    Q P R
    Derby
    Ipswich
    Reading

He'll only accept a job within 10 miles of where he lives.