Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

has curbs...

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]So Threadkiller given all the reasons that we've given for Curbs still being out of work (and that he has stated that he has been available from the moment he left the Hammers) why he's not managing now. The following jobs from the Championship and the Premiership have all been filled in that time:

Newcastle
    Middlesborough
    W B A
    Man City
    Sunderland
    Portsmouth
    Blackburn
    Wigan
    Nottingham Forest
    Swansea
    Q P R
    Derby
    Ipswich
    Reading

that one's easy but just in case you missed it
  • Options
    Curbs managed us for 15 years without a break and then after 6 months or so joined West Ham where he saved them from relegation, finished 10th (par for a club like West Ham despite their delusions of grandeur) and resigned when they were 4th and challenging after the Board undermined him as was subsequently recognised in court.

Other than Alex Ferguson how many other managers have worked to that intensity?

Curbs may have been available but not wanted those jobs listed. We don't know.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Why do so many of our fans dislike Alan Curbishley (hate is too strong a word) and refuse to acknowledge his tremendous achievements for us?

Why not give the man the credit he deserves? Dowie and Pardew were touted as "bright young things" yet couldn't keep us up between them although doubtless it will be Cubs' fault for the crap squad he left rather than the money they spunked.

You may all resent Curbs getting the job rather than Steve Gritt but he did a marvellous job as can be seen by the way we dropped like a stone once he left.

Too many of us didn't appreciate playing at The Valley at the pinnacle of English football and just moaned about boring football on 606 and the like.

No wonder Curbs got pissed off with us and left!

Len - I am answering this thread on the basis of why Curbs is still out of a job. Not to undermine his achievements for us which were absloutely fantastic. But managing a Club with no money and one with money take different skills. Which is why I have highlighted the folly of a lot of his signings at West Ham as well as the fact that someone like Roy Hodgson can pick up two of his rejects in the shape of Konchesky and Paintsil for £3m in total and turn them into possibly the best full back partnership in the country.

Would still have him back as I've said already.
  • Options
    Curbs will be back for sure, but I reckon the West Ham experience probably took a bit of getting over and of course there was his court case. Maybe he went to West Ham a little too soon (8 months) after leaving us and in reality after 15 years, needed a bit longer. Here are some jobs that may be available in the next 2-3 years and may tempt Curbs:

Villa- imo O'Neill could well be the next Liverpool or United manager, Curbs would fancy it?
    Fulham- I know Hodgson has signed a new deal but football changes very quickly and Fulham would be perfect for Curbs
    Newcastle- if they go up, I can't see Houghton pulling up any trees
    Birmingham- new owners, McLeish may fall out of favour, especially if he does not spend money well
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]So Threadkiller given all the reasons that we've given for Curbs still being out of work (and that he has stated that he has been available from the moment he left the Hammers) why he's not managing now. The following jobs from the Championship and the Premiership have all been filled in that time:

Newcastle
    Middlesborough
    W B A
    Man City
    Sunderland
    Portsmouth
    Blackburn
    Wigan
    Nottingham Forest
    Swansea
    Q P R
    Derby
    Ipswich
    Reading

that one's easybut just in case you missed it

Threadkiller you are clearly selective in what you choose to read. A month ago on Sky Sports Curb said he has been available from the moment that he left the Hammers and that the Court Case had no bearing on him taking another job. It was simply that no Club had approached him.
  • Options
    Curbs available

"I've been available all the time since I left - no offers though!" he said.

Is that enough for you?
  • Options
    Curbs is a good manager, he must be well off and is probably enjoying his money. He'll be back when he's offered the right job for him, not because he wants/needs to work.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I agree Curbs is a good manager. But good at what he did for us, not good in the way that he could ever win a league title. Small management, careful budgeting, small-scale success...

Makes me think of a bloke running a few successful businesses in the local area. You wouldn't go and make him chairman of GlaxoSmithKline.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    well he clearly isn't quite as agonised as some people are to work. maybe he has his sights a little higher than some but other than man city, none of that list looks too attractive really and i don't think his cv could really compete for that one anyway.

all the others were relegation candidates or in the lower divisions and he's worn the t-shirt.

plus we've all seen what having a big court case against another club can do to a manager, haven't we?
  • Options
    Spurs if Harry's (alleged) finances catch up with him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bolton would suit Curbs imho

Never go back
  • Options
    doubt curbs would fancy bolton, hes a londoner and i dont think he would fancy moving up there unless it was for a big job, and he wouldnt have anything to spend etc with them

i find it amazing how much people try and look for ways of slating curbs achievements - yeh maybe he did have a touch of luck here and there to keep them up, but jesus he still kept them up from so far adrift, it wasnt all bloody luck, they beat man utd in his first game i think at upton park with an excellent team performance. and luck is part and parcel of football anyway. they also lost out on points which they should have had - e.g. spurs when they were 2nil and 3-2 up and blew it late on.

to give tevez all the credit is ridiculous. he is a player, curbs is the manager he came out and made a team of them and got the best out of tevez. i also think he is over criticised on the signings - as i recall, west ham had a moneybags board involved who were desperate for him to spend their bottomless pit of cash in january so he was under pressure to make signings in the window, its difficult to pick out bargains under those circumstances when you are rock bottom of the league! and i suspect he had very little to do with negotiating fees/ wages, he probably just suggested some players he was interested in and west ham went out and waved cheques about to get them - a very different setup to when curbs was here when he was involved directly in transfer / wage negotiations and only signed players when he thought the figures justified it and when they would improve what we already had rather than just for the sake of it, as he was pretty much told to at west ham.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: paulsturgess[/cite]i also think he is over criticised on the signings - as i recall, west ham had a moneybags board involved who were desperate for him to spend their bottomless pit of cash in january so he was under pressure to make signings in the window, its difficult to pick out bargains under those circumstances when you are rock bottom of the league! and i suspect he had very little to do with negotiating fees/ wages, he probably just suggested some players he was interested in and west ham went out and waved cheques about to get them

But Curbs did sign them and they were a waste of money.

There is another Manager who is blaming his former Club's plight on the bloke that signed the cheques. Pompey are about to go bust and that had absolutely nothing to do with Harry according to him 'cos he only picked them.
  • Options
    they werent all a waste, he also got them scott parker who is their club captain and comfortably their best player

maybe harrys right though? its not the managers job to do the club accounts is it?! if curbs said im interested in lucas neill cos hes a decent defender who could come in and tighten us up at the back for this relegation battle, how is it his fault if the board go off and give him 65grand a week without even consulting him? i doubt he wouldve spent that sort of cash on quashie if he was involved in negotiating the fees as he was at charlton.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I sometimes wonder what the agenda is of people who still go out of their way to find fault with Curbs.
    Maybe it's the ones who moaned that he was "boring" and "not good enough to take us to the next level" still looking for vindication; since we've dropped like a stone since he went?
    I get sick of hearing that "he fell out with players" or "he held grudges" or similar facile tripe; like no other managers ever fall out with their players.
    The same old names are mentioned; Parker, who was tapped up, demanded a transfer and publicly said he would rather "rot in the reserves than ever play for us again"
    Murphy; who threw his toys out of the pram because he'd expected to play every game.
    Euell? Svensson? - Where are they now?
    It's called management for chrissake!!!!!

Somebody mentioned Konchesky - and you could argue that that was one error of judgement on Curbs part.
    Konch's argument was simple - he wanted the left back spot to further his England career.
    Curbs didn't see him as first choice LB and preferred him in midfield so he let him go.
    Personally, I agreed with Curbs, I always thought Konch looked like the weakest link at LB and HH was better in that position.

If he is playing well at LB for Fulham then well done to him for his improvement and credit to Woy Hodgson, who gets my vote for manager of the year last year anyway.
    He has Curbs talent for making a silk purse out of a sows ear
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]He has Curbs talent for making a silk purse out of a sows ear

And that exactly is Curbs' forte ......that talent for making a silk purse out of a sows ear.
    None of us can deny that.

But maybe that's why he's never been in the running for a top 6 job?
    Curb's has never come across as charismatic in front of TV cameras .......and maybe not perceived as a 'big enough personality' to manage the biggest of clubs.

The puzzle is, why hasn't a Portsmouth type outfit, struggling for survival, come in for him?
    Someone to steady their ship, escape relegation and consolidate their Prem future.

To me, I see that as Curbs' niche.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]I sometimes wonder what the agenda is of people who still go out of their way to find fault with Curbs.
    Maybe it's the ones who moaned that he was "boring" and "not good enough to take us to the next level" still looking for vindication; since we've dropped like a stone since he went?
    I get sick of hearing that "he fell out with players" or "he held grudges" or similar facile tripe; like no other managers ever fall out with their players.
    The same old names are mentioned; Parker, who was tapped up, demanded a transfer and publicly said he would rather "rot in the reserves than ever play for us again"
    Murphy; who through his toys out of the pram because he'dexpectedto play every game.
    Euell? Svensson? - Where are they now?
    It's calledmanagementfor chrissake!!!!!

Somebody mentioned Konchesky - and you could argue that that was one error of judgement on Curbs part.
    Konch's argument was simple - he wanted the left back spot to further his England career.
    Curbs didn't see him as first choice LB and preferred him in midfield so he let him go.
    Personally, I agreed with Curbs, I always thought Konch looked like the weakest link at LB and HH was better in that position.

If he is playing well at LB for Fulham then well done to him for his improvement and credit to Woy Hodgson, who gets my vote for manager of the year last year anyway.
    He has Curbs talent for making a silk purse out of a sows ear

No one's going out of their way. Just offering an alternative view. Always thought that is what Forums are for.

Roy Hodgson doesn't seem to have a problem with Paintsil, Murphy, Konchesky or Zamora all of whom were shown the door by Curbs.

As I say only my opinion. Line me up and shoot me of you like and I will eat a massive chunk of humble pie when Curbs (A) is put in charge of the big Club that he has always craved and/or (B) wins a Cup or takes a Team into Europe a la Hodgson, O'Neill, Moyes etc etc

And for the 18th time I would still have Cubs back. He was Iconic for us but that doesn't mean I should worship him like others clearly do and are blind to the deficiencies that the rest of the footballing world can clearly see.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    And for the 18th time I would still have Cubs back. He was Iconic for us but that doesn't mean I should worship him like others clearly do and are blind to the deficiencies that the rest of the footballing world can clearly see.

AA ....... Bang on!
    That's exactly how I see Curbs too.
  • Options
    When he pops up next and I have no doubt that he will, I feel sure he will if given a little time do a very good job.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]When he pops up next and I have no doubt that he will, I feel sure he will if given a little time do a very good job.

I don't think anybody feels that Curbs won't do a good job., Shooters.

It's just a puzzle as to why a struggling Prem club, desperate for survival, hasn't yet turned to him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    curbs did not show the door to murphy, he walked out on us!

just dont think he has really been given the chance to prove himself at a higher level, but surely his success at the so-called niche bodes well for success at a higher level. maybe not. and as for personality that really annoys me, curbs was one of few manages who actually pretty consistently talked sense unlike some of the dross that others come out with. agree hes probably missed his opportunity now though, dont see where he can or will go from here
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]When he pops up next and I have no doubt that he will, I feel sure he will if given a little time do a very good job.

It's just a puzzle as to why a struggling Prem club, desperate for survival, hasn't yet turned to him.

Is it really that puzzling ? Its probably only about nine weeks since the completion of his dispute with West Ham and not too much has happened in the Prem manager merry go round since then has it ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]I sometimes wonder what the agenda is of people who still go out of their way to find fault with Curbs.

Eh? No one has any sort of agenda on here to go out of there way to slate Curbs and if you read back through the thread everyone acknowledges what a fantastic job he did with us, has nothing but respect for him and for what he achieved. I think, for all the right reasons, whenever Curb's ability is in any way perceived to be in question, the esteem, goodwill and lets face it, man-love, we all have for the bloke leads to a loss of perspective for some.

Many on this thread have taken the view that what he achieved at West Ham means he's too good for a job at somewhere like Bolton. Some of us disagree and think, in short, he did what should have been done at West Ham, but it doesn't mean there's a lack of respect for him or an 'agenda'.

And I still maintain that if you'd dropped Tevez and his mate into our team that year we'd have stayed up comfortably, under most managers...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Is it really that puzzling ? Its probably only about nine weeks since the completion of his dispute with West Ham and not too much has happened in the Prem manager merry go round since then has it ?

Okay.
  • Options
    Shootershill I think you need to read my posting on the previous page. He has been available since he left the Hammers but has had no approaches.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Shootershill I think you need to read my posting on the previous page. He has been available since he left the Hammers but has had no approaches.

Okay AA. Not seen that before. Am surprised tbh.
  • Options
    The puzzle is, why hasn't a Portsmouth type outfit, struggling for survival, come in for him?
    Someone to steady their ship, escape relegation and consolidate their Prem future.

Maybe they have, but maybe he's not interested. He'll take the best job for him and I think he'll want to stay in the SE/London area where he's based, that cuts his options down a bit, more so as the big clubs won't want him, but sooner or later a club in easy commutable distance will tempt him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]
    No one's going out of their way. Just offering an alternative view. Always thought that is what Forums are for.

Roy Hodgson doesn't seem to have a problem with Paintsil, Murphy, Konchesky or Zamora all of whom were shown the door by Curbs.

As I say only my opinion. Line me up and shoot me of you like and I will eat a massive chunk of humble pie when Curbs (A) is put in charge of the big Club that he has always craved and/or (B) wins a Cup or takes a Team into Europe a la Hodgson, O'Neill, Moyes etc etc

Got no problem at all with your alternative views AA as you obviously acknowledge his achievements - but there are those who appear in denial.
    Similarly I don't consider myself blind to his deficiences, just keen to put them in perspective when measured against his achievements.

As to Murphy and Konch; well maybe they have been chastened by their experiences elsewhere (esp Murphy) and are now less inclined to rock the boat?
    As I said; I do rate Roy Hodgson very highly and credit has to go to him.

As for eating humble pie - well it's a tough ask for any manager to just land a job with a big club or indeed to win a cup or get into Europe.
    You could argue that Curbs may well have achieved Europe with Charlton in 03/04 had not one of our rivals poached our talisman in the January window ( 6 weeks in the top 4 up til then remember?)
    If Curbs is ever able to replicate or better what he did with us then maybe a big club will take a gamble?

Ironically I disagree with you when it comes to welcoming Curbs back at Charlton. I just feel it doesn't do to go back - he'd be on a hiding to nothing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Shootershill I think you need to read my posting on the previous page. He has been available since he left the Hammers but has had no approaches.

Okay AA. Not seen that before. Am surprised tbh.

I was too when I heard him say it a few weeks ago on Camara's Sunday morning show. Which is why I was somewhat relieved to find the quote as I thought for a minute I was going mad.....
  • Options
    Curbishley's stock will go up appreciably if the nice-but-flailing Zola gets the relegated.

West Ham fans reaction to Curbishley was an absolute disgrace, how can they seriously expect much better than 10th in the Premiership one year after they were virtually relegated?

Curbs did a solid job at West Ham in increasingly tough circumstances, it is true that he DID buy some shite in January 2007 BUT you have to remember they were stranded in the relegation zone at the time and had few options available in terms of players that would be willing to join them.

Still, Wet Spam fans got their wish for a "big name" manager who plays "the right way" and look where it has taken them.