Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

has curbs...

124»

Comments

• Options
    Reports in the papers over the weekend suggested Hodgson may be in line to replace Capello after the World Cup, as much as this may be way off the mark Fulham would be perfect for Curbs in every way.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Reports in the papers over the weekend suggested Hodgson may be in line to replace Capello after the World Cup, as much as this may be way off the mark Fulham would be perfect for Curbs in every way.

I'd like to see the look on Konchesky's face if that happens!
  • Options
    And Zamora, especially now he has started scoring
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]And Zamora, especially now he has started scoring

and Painsil and not to forget Murphy
  • Options
    [cite] Dave Rudd [/cite]
    One point which doesn't seem to have been raised is Curbishley's obvious love of the 'comfort zone'. I don't think that he will ever manage at the highest level, or that he will ever take on the challenge of managing world class players, or that he will ever leave the London area again - because that would mean a departure from the comfort zone.

For all the good things he did for us, you get the impression that he was dictated to by Danny Murphy (three man central midfield so that Murphy had a couple of hod-carriers to do his dirty work for him). For all the media talk, he was never going to get the England job. Gerrard and Co. would have eaten him alive.

Like all of us, Curbs found his level. To operate successfully at the very top, you need a special kind of ambition. An intensity and a hunger ... and a willingness to step off the edge into the difficult and unpleasant unknown .... to see if you can handle it.

Curbs is cocoa and cardigans, not roulette and racing cars.

Blimey Dave, can you at least try to hang your opinions on something tangible.

Curbs obvious love of the comfort zone? Care to back that up with something?
    You say because you don't think he will manage at the highest level - Well that rather depends on somebody offering him the chance, nothing to do with his comfort zone.
    You don't think that he will take on the challenge of managing world class players? Again,that depends on being given the opportunity - he was gutted at missing out on the England job so I don't think you can question his desire to give it a shot.

You think he was dictated to by Danny Murphy? Wot??????
    The only "hod carrier" was Kish, and you'd be a fool to not have a defensive midfielder if you are also playing Murphy, Smertin, Rommedahl and Thomas.
    The fact Murphy demanded a transfer would suggest Murphy wasn't getting his way.

Whether Curbs found his level you may well be right about, but unless and until a "big" club takes a gamble on him we can't be certain.

"To operate successfully at the very top, you need a special kind of ambition. An intensity and a hunger ... and a willingness to step off the edge into the difficult and unpleasant unknown .... to see if you can handle it".- Yes, but before that you need to be offered the chance
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Ormiston surely my opinion is warrented just as much as yours is. If your saying we are all entitled to an opinion, you mention the huge wage bill pards had at the club but do you think that compares to the 3 million west ham paid for Llunberg and the 6 million they had to pay to rip up his contract after a handful of games. Now thats a wage bill and one i dont think pards bettered at Charlton so yes i can compare them. As good as he was for Charlton the man was a fool for West Ham and the sooner he went the better. It might have been his dream job but he was never the supporters choice[/quote]

All our opinions on here (with one or two notable exceptions) are equally valid.

You are right, of course, Curbs made some awful signings for you guys - as I have already admitted - but no manager gets every signing correct.

Sorry, but the Pardew - Curbishley comparison is not valid at all. As I said, Pardew left us BOTTOM of the Championship with one of the biggest wage bills in the division, Curbishley's footballing style may not have suited you but he never took you anywhere near those depths.

Besides, as I understand it, Curbishley was given a huge budget by the Icelanders and encouraged to spend big to make thing happen - of course that all came crashing down when the entire Icelandic economy crashed and the full results of that for West Ham remain to be seen.

In contrast, Pardew knew he had limited funds - although significant by CCC standards - and blew it on shite like Varney, McLeod, Mouataokil, Christiansen, McCarthy, Hudson and the rest.
  • Options
    dave rudds comment about curbs being dictated by danny murphy is ridiculous. he played him in there with two "hod carriers" as you call them (which, for reference, alexei smertin, for example, could never be described as) because it worked really, not because danny murphy demanded it! curbs was the manager at charlton he didnt let any player boss him about. that was a cracking system when the players involved were on form, thomas bursting down the wing, and rommedahl when he was on form (lets not get into debating him), bent up front - and even bartlett, it was really effective and actually produced some cracking football at times, for example when we won 6 of our first 7 games and were sitting right up at the top and murphy was being heavily touted for an england recall
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]Blimey Dave, can you at least try to hang your opinions on something tangible.

Curbs obvious love of the comfort zone? Care to back that up with something?
    You say because you don't think he will manage at the highest level - Well that rather depends on somebody offering him the chance, nothing to do with his comfort zone.
    You don't think that he will take on the challenge of managing world class players? Again,that depends on being given the opportunity - he was gutted at missing out on the England job so I don't think you can question his desire to give it a shot.

You think he was dictated to by Danny Murphy? Wot??????
    The only "hod carrier" was Kish, and you'd be a fool to not have a defensive midfielder if you are also playing Murphy, Smertin, Rommedahl and Thomas.
    The fact Murphy demanded a transfer would suggest Murphy wasn't getting his way.

Whether Curbs found his level you may well be right about, but unless and until a "big" club takes a gamble on him we can't be certain.

"To operate successfully at the very top, you need a special kind of ambition. An intensity and a hunger ... and a willingness to step off the edge into the difficult and unpleasant unknown .... to see if you can handle it".- Yes, but before that you need to be offered the chance

Yes, I agree that everything is opinion and that Curbishley would need to be given the opportunity to manage a 'big' club to allow the accuracy of any opinion to be established. But maybe those in power at those 'big' clubs see things the same way that I do ... that Curbishley is (was?) a manager who does what he does well, but has no experience of spending big money wisely, who is not proven in his dealings with world class players and who might find that his way of ostracising a player who doesn't see things his way a little more difficult to justify at International level.

I stand by the view that Curbishley adopted the 4-5-1 approach to accommodate the preferences of Murphy. I question where the risk-taking and adventure was when we were so close to a European spot. Pressure on the Board to splash out on one or two real big money names might just have done the trick ... but we settled for year on year of 0-0 draws at places like Middlesbrough so that we could all do it again the following season.

And please don't hit me with the "you'd settle for that Premier League mid-table place now, wouldn't you" argument. Compared to League 1, of course I would .... but many fans would soon tire of it if that was the limit to our horizon.

Don't get me wrong. I have the utmost respect and gratitude for what Curbishley did for this Club. But he is not a risk-taker, and that will always limit his effectiveness and ambition.

Of the others managers who are more inclined to take risks, some will come badly unstuck ... but others will hit the heights. If you want to come mid-table in the Premier League, Curbishley is your man - and there's credit enough in that. But forget about anything more ambitious.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    *has a little cry
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    edit quote# 14 - 3rd January 2010

"Curbs for the first time in his Managerial Career had money. His initial siginings were:

Boa Morte - £5m
    Quashie - £1.5m
    Davenport - £3m
    Neill - £1.5m
    Upson - £6m

Upson was the sole decent buy.

Lucas Neill moved there because the Hammers were prepared a ridiculous salary for a man of his talents (as opposed to going to Liverpool for less). He eventually left on a free.

Spending almost £10m on the other three is frankly laughable and the fact that they haven't managed 50 starts between them means, including wages, that they have probably cost the Club £500,000 a match.

In the next season he spent £6m on Dyer who was a known crock and £3m on a spent force in the shape of Freddie Ljunberg.

Given all of that it's not too surprising that they are in their current financial state.

He also sold Konchesky and Paintsil for a total of £3m to Fulham and they have been fixtures in probably the most consistently successful back four in the Premiership.

I would suggest that the Jury is still out as to whether Curbs can manage a top Club.

Notwithstanding all of that I would probably still have him back because he is proven at getting the most out of us - up to March anyway!"

Who I Blame For Hammers Mess

Perhaps I should sue Steven Howard for plagiarism!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Spooky aint brought a paper since they stopped selling Das Stormer but did this morning, was the Sun .The last paragragh will but be hard reading for the "Curbs is God" brigade. True ? maybe .
  • Options
    Stacked-HayStraw.jpg

grap as much as you can get
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]edit quote# 14 - 3rd January 2010

"Curbs for the first time in his Managerial Career had money. His initial siginings were:

Boa Morte - £5m
    Quashie - £1.5m
    Davenport - £3m
    Neill - £1.5m
    Upson - £6m

Upson was the sole decent buy.

Lucas Neill moved there because the Hammers were prepared a ridiculous salary for a man of his talents (as opposed to going to Liverpool for less). He eventually left on a free.

Spending almost £10m on the other three is frankly laughable and the fact that they haven't managed 50 starts between them means, including wages, that they have probably cost the Club £500,000 a match.

In the next season he spent £6m on Dyer who was a known crock and £3m on a spent force in the shape of Freddie Ljunberg.

Given all of that it's not too surprising that they are in their current financial state.

He also sold Konchesky and Paintsil for a total of £3m to Fulham and they have been fixtures in probably the most consistently successful back four in the Premiership.

I would suggest that the Jury is still out as to whether Curbs can manage a top Club.

Notwithstanding all of that I would probably still have him back because he is proven at getting the most out of us - up to March anyway!"

Who I Blame For Hammers Mess

Perhaps I should sue Steven Howard for plagiarism!

Context is everything and the fact is that when Curbs bought those players for Wet Spam the team were bottom of the league and looking certs for relegation - they were the only players he could attract and even then had to pay over the odds wages to get them.

Curbs did NOT control wages or transfer fees - that was the Icelanders - and they were the ones who wanted "big names" like Dyer and Ljungberg to make a statement about how big their plans were.

Konchesky and Pantsil are hardly world-class players, Fulham are a middle of the road side and their defensive strength is more down to the big Norwegian than those two.

If he is such a crap manager and his signings were so poor then how come he kept them up that year against all the odds and was nowhere near the bottom three the year after?

Funny how Howard and his tabloid chums are much slower to slag off their Chelsea mate Zola isn't it?
  • Options
    interesting stuff re: the situation he left CAFC in - pretty much what some of us have said a few times on here before being accused of heresy
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i thought he wanted to see his contract out but was asked to leave early rather than left.

but you probably mean that we parted with us as an established mid table premiership side that was quite the envy around the country.
  • Options
    Realism has landed, thanks to Orms!
    Why oh why cant we have insight like this in the Blue Square south relegation zone that is British football journalism?

I love the 'apart from Bent' throwaway line. Classic.
    Like 'apart from Rooney what have Man U got up front? when their second highest scorer doesnt even feature on their squad list!

How much worse was the squad when he was asked to leave compared to the end of his previous seasons?
    Which one of us had any doubt that had he stayed, Curbs would have kept us up with the squad he left?

Where was the Pardowie money the season he left?

Is it a British thing, this tall poopy syndrome? The joy some have in cutting people down who rise above the norm?
    So sad.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Saw an interview with him the other day. They asked him his availability to take over a Sheffield team.
    He said, 'Well I cant manage Wednesday'

Tim Vine, the source of all Stewart Francis' jokes.
  • Options
    OooooAhhhhMortimer and Len Glover will never buy the Sun again!