Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

has curbs...

Comments

• Options
    Curbs career -

1) Almost single handedly pulled Charlton to the Premiership, before keeping them there for 7 years, finishing mid table every season and sometimes challenging for a European spot to boot. All this on a budget smaller than most of our rivals whilst having to sell our best players because they threw paddy fits about moving in the middle of the season. Never sacked, and in fact clapped out on his last game - how many managers can say the same.

2) Joined West Ham who were effectively relgated when he took over. Bought a number of players in Jan, some worked, some didn't but hey you don't get a lot of people knocking the door down at that stage in the season when you are cut adrift. Also took on Tevez, a player the wonderful Pardew had got didly out of. Somehow (& I still can not beleive it) kept them up. Second season & a marked improvement with the team finishing 10th? if i remember correctly. Third season and West Ham make their best ever start to a Premier League campaign before he leaves.

If other Chairmen are not beating a route to his door that is through their own stupidity & nothing to do with Curbs obvious talents. Can he manage the top top players? who knows, and sadly we will probably never find out. My hunch is he would do a great job wherever he goes but due to the infactuation with bringing foreign coaches to our clubs he will never get the chance unless he wanted to head abroad to prove himself with a top European team first.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Curbishley's stock will go up appreciably if the nice-but-flailing Zola gets the relegated.

West Ham fans reaction to Curbishley was an absolute disgrace, how can they seriously expect much better than 10th in the Premiership one year after they were virtually relegated?

Curbs did a solid job at West Ham in increasingly tough circumstances, it is true that he DID buy some shite in January 2007 BUT you have to remember they were stranded in the relegation zone at the time and had few options available in terms of players that would be willing to join them.

Still, Wet Spam fans got their wish for a "big name" manager who plays "the right way" and look where it has taken them.

What do you think gives you the right to say how other fans should be towards a manager. It wasn't that long ago on here that everyone was screaming for parky to be sacked.. Now thats a disgrace, and for your information most west ham fans would rather get relegated under Zola and playing football. Than stay up under curbs playing that load of tripe he had them playing. Never liked him never will,i can understand your love for him and what he done for your club but that dont mean every other club he manages has to agree with you.... Pards is doing ok now does that mean you lot were discraceful to treat him how you did. Maybe he should have been given more time cos he's doing well there now
  • Options
    yep, i would have been more than happy for pardew to be given more time at west ham.
  • Options
    I think as soon as Brighton get their ground sorted He'll end up there
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Curbishley's stock will go up appreciably if the nice-but-flailing Zola gets the relegated.

West Ham fans reaction to Curbishley was an absolute disgrace, how can they seriously expect much better than 10th in the Premiership one year after they were virtually relegated?

Curbs did a solid job at West Ham in increasingly tough circumstances, it is true that he DID buy some shite in January 2007 BUT you have to remember they were stranded in the relegation zone at the time and had few options available in terms of players that would be willing to join them.

Still, Wet Spam fans got their wish for a "big name" manager who plays "the right way" and look where it has taken them.

What do you think gives you the right to say how other fans should be towards a manager. It wasn't that long ago on here that everyone was screaming for parky to be sacked.. Now thats a disgrace, and for your information most west ham fans would rather get relegated under Zola and playing football. Than stay up under curbs playing that load of tripe he had them playing. Never liked him never will,i can understand your love for him and what he done for your club but that dont mean every other club he manages has to agree with you.... Pards is doing ok now does that mean you lot were discraceful to treat him how you did. Maybe he should have been given more time cos he's doing well there now

What gives me the right to express an opinion do you mean? Oh, I don't know, I think its that thing called freedom of speech that we have round these parts.

We all know you're a West Ham man, and that's fair enough, but I think that its ironic that some West Ham fans wanted Curbishsley out because his football was "tripe" and they now have a "name" manager playing "pure" football yet are looking increasingly likely to get relegated - something that never looked likely after he saved you in 2007 and while he was at the club.

Indeed, the only thing that might save West Ham from relegation is quite how awful Pompey, Hull and Wigan are this season although if Parker does get sold in January, and on his past history he would take a move to Liverpool like a shot, then West Ham will be in all sorts of trouble.

Given the financial status of the club a relegation for West Ham - even playing wonderful football under Zola - would be a crushing blow which could take them a long time to recover from.

I can appreciate that West Ham fans demand a certain style of play - the one that Zola is deploying at the moment I would imagine - but I would also imagine that Curbishley would say that the team had to be more robust in its style to achieve safety.

Playing "pure" football is all very well but if West Ham try that against the really good sides in the Premiership then they will lose far more than they win - as we are seeing this season - because West Ham's "style" players are not as good as those at the really big Premiership clubs.

Curbishley would probably argue that he wanted to cement the side down first as a Premiership team - they had only been back in the top flight for 18 months when he took the job - before putting a more aesthetic footballing style in place.

I admit that some of his buys were bizarre to say the least (Dyer, Quashie etc....) but I don't think he deserved to be treated the way he did and I don't think West Ham would be in the trouble they are now if the directors had let him run the show and kept him at the club.

Your comparison with Pardew is not warranted, that twat had us bottom of the Championship (with one of the biggest wage bills) playing absolute dirge - Curbishley never even had you lot anywhere near the bottom of the Premiership!

You will probably have a different opinion, and that's fine, because differing views are what football is all about.
  • Options
    ' A more aesthetic footballing style ' we are talking about Alan Curbishley aren't we ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]

Because they're forever blowing bubbles.
  • Options
    My take on it all is that when the likes of qpr and ipswich jobs came up I can't belive curbs wasn't in the running, ipswich would have been a perfect club for him to mould and get back into the prem. Bolton would be ideal they like the 4 5 1 they used under big sam plus the chairman seems an ok bloke, very simular to us crowds around the upper 20k mark and bags of potiental again. But as the original point of this thread and not is curbs a good or bad manager I really struggle to see where he will get back in, I hope to god he dosnt get left on the pundit mantlepeice. He was interviewd by the fa for england ffs.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]It wasn't that long ago on here that everyone was screaming for parky to be sacked

I still think he should be!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]It wasn't that long ago on here that everyone was screaming for parky to be sacked

I still think he should be!
    I dont at the end of last season yes but on this season no.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fascinating thread.

One point which doesn't seem to have been raised is Curbishley's obvious love of the 'comfort zone'. I don't think that he will ever manage at the highest level, or that he will ever take on the challenge of managing world class players, or that he will ever leave the London area again - because that would mean a departure from the comfort zone.

For all the good things he did for us, you get the impression that he was dictated to by Danny Murphy (three man central midfield so that Murphy had a couple of hod-carriers to do his dirty work for him). For all the media talk, he was never going to get the England job. Gerrard and Co. would have eaten him alive.

Like all of us, Curbs found his level. To operate successfully at the very top, you need a special kind of ambition. An intensity and a hunger ... and a willingness to step off the edge into the difficult and unpleasant unknown .... to see if you can handle it.

Curbs is cocoa and cardigans, not roulette and racing cars.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Fascinating thread.

One point which doesn't seem to have been raised is Curbishley's obvious love of the 'comfort zone'. I don't think that he will ever manage at the highest level, or that he will ever take on the challenge of managing world class players, or that he will ever leave the London area again - because that would mean a departure from the comfort zone.

For all the good things he did for us, you get the impression that he was dictated to by Danny Murphy (three man central midfield so that Murphy had a couple of hod-carriers to do his dirty work for him). For all the media talk, he was never going to get the England job. Gerrard and Co. would have eaten him alive.

Like all of us, Curbs found his level. To operate successfully at the very top, you need a special kind of ambition. An intensity and a hunger ... and a willingness to step off the edge into the difficult and unpleasant unknown .... to see if you can handle it.

Well thought out post but utter twaddle imho.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Fascinating thread.

Well thought out post but utter twaddle imho.

Because...?
  • Options
    I don`t agree that Curbs is "a comfort zone" manager. Having a priority of avoiding relegation from the money spinning EPL is not the same as having a comfort zone mentality. Was he bossed by Murphy ? I doubt that very much. Frightened of taking a chance ? Like becoming a football manager you mean and wanting the England job ? Like I said, your post was well thought out but twaddle. Just my opinion of course.
  • Options
    Valleyman, West Ham weren't in the bottom three when Curbs took them over in Dec 06 so I think to say they were effectively relegated is pushing it a bit - particularly as he had two world-class players at his disposal!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Just my opinion of course.

Yes, indeed. The same for all of us when the facts are not clear.

I'll take it all back when Curbs takes the Bolton job. Or maybe takes over from Benitez. Or Cappello.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]Curbs career -

2) Joined West Ham who were effectively relgated when he took over.

When Curbs took over at West Ham they were 18th, two points ahead of us, two points from safety and with 19 games left. Hardly, what I'd call "effectively relegated".
  • Options
    i think he should go to sheff wed. big club and potential and would get them out of their current situation
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]Valleyman, West Ham weren't in the bottom three when Curbs took them over in Dec 06 so I think to say they were effectively relegated is pushing it a bit - particularly as he had two world-class players at his disposal!

never let the facts get in the way of a good story but they were in actual fact,in the bottom 3
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: paulsturgess[/cite]i think he should go to sheff wed. big club and potential and would get them out of their current situation

"I'm 52. I've got a nice 'ouse. Nice car. Do I really wanna go and live up Yorkshire? Pr'aps 15 years ago ... but not now."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]Valleyman, West Ham weren't in the bottom three when Curbs took them over in Dec 06 so I think to say they were effectively relegated is pushing it a bit - particularly as he had two world-class players at his disposal!

never let the facts get in the way of a good story but they were in actual fact,in the bottom 3

See my post above then. They were in the bottom three, just. By the end of the year they were one win out of the bottom three. 'Job done' as far as Curbs was asked at the time I suppose but hardly the miracle turnaround that some are saying entitles him to manage a "big" club...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]When Curbs took over at West Ham they were 18th, two points ahead of us, two points from safety and with 19 games left. Hardly, what I'd call "effectively relegated".

yep. west ham had also played a game more than the teams that they were chasing having lost 5 out of the previous 6 and scoring just the once in those with the next game being manchester united.

let's just say then,that things couldn't have looked much worse as people like to split hairs so much
  • Options
    Dave Rudd makes a valid point - if he stays in London/the SE then he'll have to operate in a comfort zone. Certain jobs won't get offered to him - Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea etc because he hasn't got a track record of success/dealing with top players and their agents. On the other hand there are plenty of jobs for which he's over qualified - Orient, Southend etc where he won't want the hassle of a limited budget and small squads and earning a relatively small salary.That means he'll have to take one of a number of jobs - Fulham, Ipswich, Norwich, Charlton, Watford, QPR etc where his level of experience matches the ambitions and the type of player he'll be coaching. He either waits for one of those jobs to come up - or he has to move in search of work.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]When Curbs took over at West Ham they were 18th, two points ahead of us, two points from safety and with 19 games left. Hardly, what I'd call "effectively relegated".

yep. west ham had also played a game more than the teams that they were chasing having lost 5 out of the previous 6 and scoring just the once in those with the next game being manchester united. let's just say then,that things couldn't have looked much worse as people like to split hairs so much

It's not splitting hairs to say that he had a total of 57 points to play for, it's a fact.
  • Options
    Despite what those quotes say, he was at the top of QPRs list before Magilton took charge, but wasn't offered the job because his wage demands were too high.
  • Options
    Ormiston surely my opinion is warrented just as much as yours is. If your saying we are all entitled to an opinion, you mention the huge wage bill pards had at the club but do you think that compares to the 3 million west ham paid for Llunberg and the 6 million they had to pay to rip up his contract after a handful of games. Now thats a wage bill and one i dont think pards bettered at Charlton so yes i can compare them. As good as he was for Charlton the man was a fool for West Ham and the sooner he went the better. It might have been his dream job but he was never the supporters choice
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Ormiston surely my opinion is warrented just as much as yours is. If your saying we are all entitled to an opinion, you mention the huge wage bill pards had at the club but do you think that compares to the 3 million west ham paid for Llunberg and the 6 million they had to pay to rip up his contract after a handful of games. Now thats a wage bill and one i dont think pards bettered at Charlton so yes i can compare them. As good as he was for Charlton the man was a fool for West Ham and the sooner he went the better. It might have been his dream job but he was never the supporters choice

Who was the supporters' choice?
  • Options
    Iain Dowie
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]As good as he was for Charlton the man was a fool for West Ham and the sooner he went the better. It might have been his dream job but he was never the supporters choice
    When Curbs joined West Ham were 3rd bottom, when he left West Ham were 4th top (from what I can tell from the above posts). What a fool that man Curbs was for West Ham! When Zola joined you were 4th top, now you are 4th bottom. What a revalation.
  • Options
    Perhaps he is as disgusted, as increasing numbers of fans are, with the selfish, dishonest,immoral, greedy, myopic twats who are awash in the game now.
    And the fact that if he does use his considerable skills to keep a team in the Premiership trough, there will be brainless ungrateful anoraks complaining they arent in Europe.
    As a man who has proved himself to be of the highest moral standards, he is probably sitting on his investments watching the whole Premiership gameshow roll inexorably on a hand cart to financial and unprincipled hell.