Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Black Widow

Really enjoyed it. Not an Avengers/Capt America type movie, Natasha is a trained assassin after all, but there are super hero/super powered elements to it, elements of Bond/Bourne, a fair bit of emotional pull behind her and her sister’s story. No convoluted plot, a pretty straight on back story with tons of action, including chases and of course fight scenes.

Florence Pugh (Yelena) was the stand our character/performance for me and David Harbour’s Red Guardian was pretty amusing throughout.

My only small gripe is that a scene or two could have been edited down a bit to get to approx 2 hour movie. My kids thought the same a few scenes were too slow/drawn out.

I featured in an early scene when they landed in Cuba and it all gets a bit tense (no spoilers), which was a fab few days filming alongside Harbour, Winston and Weisz. 

8/10
    Agree with all of this in Black Widow.
  • Options
    Yes I know a lot of people didn’t like it but If anyone’s interested in eventually understanding Tenet, I watched again for a 3rd time today and things do make a lot more sense.

This article does a good job of explaining how it works, so worth a read before attempting to watch for a second/third time.
    https://www.gq.com/story/tenet-explained
    I’d rather pull my finger nails out than sit through that again . You deserve a medal 

• Options
    Not exactly " latest" but we caught "Once upon a time in Hollywood" last night on Netflix.

Found it really enjoyable & loved Leo's role which he played very well. 
  • Options
    Not exactly " latest" but we caught "Once upon a time in Hollywood" last night on Netflix.

Recommend the book in that case. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Wow, is that movie from a book? Thought it was an original screenplay by QT?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Dazzler21 said:

He developed the screenplay into a book to flesh it out to how he'd have preferred. Basically more detail and back fill.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

It was 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

He developed the screenplay into a book to flesh it out to how he'd have preferred. Basically more detail and back fill.
    Heard QT talking about this on the JRE podcast and was curious about it, might ask for it for a birthday or something - would you recommend? De-railing the film thread into a book thread sorry!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Knives Out
    finally caught this, although it's not exactly new. It was top of my wish list for a while, but family disney films kept intruding. Anyway, utterly great. Keeps you thinking,  some nest twists, a lot of dsrkly funny moments  and all in all very satisfying.
    9/10
  • Options
    I watched it ages ago. It wasn't bad. A bit like Cluedo on film.
  • Options
    Saw a poster on the Underground yesterday on our way to Lords advertising M Night Shyamalan's latest called "OLD"  & due out on 23rd July, I believe. 

Anyone heard anything about it ? 
  • Options
    Saw a poster on the Underground yesterday on our way to Lords advertising M Night Shyamalan's latest called "OLD"  & due out on 23rd July, I believe. 

Yeah it’s the one about people on a beach who discover they’re ageing really fast. Which is basically an X-Files episode. 

I honestly don’t think I’ll watch another one of his films. He made two or three classics 20+ years ago. And since then he’s made some of the worst movies in the history of mainstream cinema. Lady In The Water and The Happening should’ve been enough for Hollywood shun him permanently. But they let him make Glass which was a tragedy for Unbreakable fans! Some of his stuff is so schlocky it’s genuinely confusing as to what he’s trying to do. 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Yeah it’s the one about people on a beach who discover they’re ageing really fast. Which is basically an X-Files episode. 

I honestly don’t think I’ll watch another one of his films. He made two or three classics 20+ years ago. And since then he’s made some of the worst movies in the history of mainstream cinema. Lady In The Water and The Happening should’ve been enough for Hollywood shun him permanently. But they let him make Glass which was a tragedy for Unbreakable fans! Some of his stuff is so schlocky it’s genuinely confusing as to what he’s trying to do. 
    I know, such a shame his work has deteriorated badly.

Might give it a go - an excuse to get out & use the local cinema.
  • Options
    Just watched the trailer. The acting looks horrendous.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

The paucity of cinema opportunities really does make us watch some tripe! I’ve been to see a few films I never would have made the effort for. Just because I wanted to watch something. Anything. 
  • Options
    I know Covid has had an effect on the film industry but I haven’t seen a decent new film in god knows how long. Real lack of quality for ages.
  • Options
    Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard
    Black Widow
    The Forever Purge
    The Tomorrow War
    Pig

👍
  • Options
    I know Covid has had an effect on the film industry but I haven’t seen a decent new film in god knows how long. Real lack of quality for ages.
    Have you seen "Nobody" yet?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think there have been quite a few really decent releases despite lock down, but may depend on genre taste, rather than quality?

I would recommend Minari, Promising Young Woman, Black Widow, Love and Monsters, Soul, Borat Sequel to name but a few. 

Cruella was stylish, but left me scratching my head a bit as to how it fits in with 101 Dalmatians, Mortal Kombat I enjoyed, but know the characters and play the game, so easy for me to follow - and would leave most uninitiated bamboozled and finally Kong vs Godzilla I also enjoyed, but suspect the quite drawn out monster smash ups are not for everyone.
  • Options
    I haven’t. Is that with the dad that loses his shit?

I watched Tomorrow’s War. Was okay, felt like I was watching a different film from the moment the time portal closed tho.
  • Options
    I haven’t. Is that with the dad that loses his shit?

I watched Tomorrow’s War. Was okay, felt like I was watching a different film from the moment the time portal closed tho.
    That’s the one . Definitely in my top three of this year . 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:

The paucity of cinema opportunities really does make us watch some tripe! I’ve been to see a few films I never would have made the effort for. Just because I wanted to watch something. Anything. 
    Try paint drying. More drama than recent MNS garbage. 
  • Options
    Best avoiding that beach. Anybody catch where it is?
  • Options

Like the look of that 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    JiMMy 85 said:

Jimmy is spot on. The graphic Novel 'Sandcastle' is where MNS has taken this story from. The only twist in that is the rapid ageing, not sure it's a typical MNS story... Although he did do the Happening, so could be wrong. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Heard QT talking about this on the JRE podcast and was curious about it, might ask for it for a birthday or something - would you recommend? De-railing the film thread into a book thread sorry!
    I liked it as all the characters were already clear in my mind. Would recommend, it doesn't add tons, but enough to make some bits make more sense. 
  • Options
    Space Jam; A New Legacy - Absolute meh. Worth watching if you get it free but wouldn't pay to watch it having now seen it.