Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Films

Comments

• Options
    Watched 11:14 on Prime last Friday. A film with five entwined stories revolving around a car accident in a small American town. A film largely about poor decisions made under duress. It's not a new film, probably twenty years old, but I really enjoyed watching the pieces of the story all come together.
    Ensemble cast featuring Hilary Swank, Patrick Swayze, Barbara Hershey. Very good soundtrack too.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Watched 11:14 on Prime last Friday. A film with five entwined stories revolving around a car accident in a small American town. A film largely about poor decisions made under duress. It's not a new film, probably twenty years old, but I really enjoyed watching the pieces of the story all come together.
    Ensemble cast featuring Hilary Swank, Patrick Swayze, Barbara Hershey. Very good soundtrack too.
    I remember watching it many years ago. A series of coincidences. Very interesting film. 
  • Options
    The Founder on Prime is the story of the brothers who established the McDonald's label and Ray Kroc who ruthlessly franchised it and took it away from them. 

Excellent film, would recommend. 
    We saw that earlier in the year, great film. 
  • Options
    Kid Detective (SKY) - AVOID 2/10
    It's very rare for me to actually stop half way through no matter what rubbish, however this one is awful. I didn't take to any of it at all 
  • Options
    Saw The Courier on Saturday in the cinema, well mostly, the screen broke somehow with half an hour left so we had to stream the final section at home... however still really enjoyed it.

Based on a true story of an ordinary  English salesman, played by Benedict Cumberbatch, who is recruited by the CIA/MI6 to courier (hence the name) soviet state secrets back and forth from the USSR to Britain under the guise of his salesman title, all in the lead up to the Cuban Missile Crisis. Cumberbatch was very good as was his Soviet contact and it was very tense in parts! Definitely worth a good watch if that time period is of interest, has an added element as it all happened in real life at a very poignant/dangerous time for the world.
    Saw this today - really enjoyed it. Cumberbatch was excellent and I found it gripping.
  • Options
    Saw The Courier on Saturday in the cinema, well mostly, the screen broke somehow with half an hour left so we had to stream the final section at home... however still really enjoyed it.

Based on a true story of an ordinary  English salesman, played by Benedict Cumberbatch, who is recruited by the CIA/MI6 to courier (hence the name) soviet state secrets back and forth from the USSR to Britain under the guise of his salesman title, all in the lead up to the Cuban Missile Crisis. Cumberbatch was very good as was his Soviet contact and it was very tense in parts! Definitely worth a good watch if that time period is of interest, has an added element as it all happened in real life at a very poignant/dangerous time for the world.
    Saw this today - really enjoyed it. Cumberbatch was excellent and I found it gripping.
    Best I've seen this year and I've seen plenty. 
    Cumberbatch outstanding as you say .
  • Options

Best I've seen this year and I've seen plenty. 
    Cumberbatch outstanding as you say .
    Not normally a fan of his but he really captured the essence of the character. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    The Nest

A film about a family falling apart set in the 80s - relocating back from the US to UK. Jude Law is excellent in the central role as a devious trader always desperate to impress.

8.5 / 10

• Options
    A quiet place part 2 

8/10 

Only not a nine out of ten because of the ending, lived the first one, this one improved it without losing the tension. Lots of jump scares as is to be expected with such a plot. The actor who plays the little daughter is a star she carried the film along with Cillian Murphy brilliantly. I'll be back for part 3 and will again definitely shit my pants 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Not in the cinemas until late October but the Denis Villeneuve version of Dune is one I'm really looking forward to seeing. Trailers look amazing and the reviews are all saying its brilliant. Villeneuve also rarely makes a bad film
  • Options
    Sheng Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Marvel have done it again. My first visit to the cinema since March last year, and  got to see this epic. All the usual features are there. A fun sense of humour (how much could the bloody Star Wars franchise learn from these films), characters you care about, well developed back story and a rollercoaster plot. If I was going to be picky some of the action sequences are impossible to follow, but this is a well merited addition to the Marvel cast, and they left plenty of room for a next step. Are we going to see a new 'Avengers Endgame' type finale in ten years time? 
    9/10

• Options
    Quiet Place 2. Plenty of jump scares and a nicely left open for 3rd. 
  • Options

Marvel have done it again. My first visit to the cinema since March last year, and  got to see this epic. All the usual features are there. A fun sense of humour (how much could the bloody Star Wars franchise learn from these films), characters you care about, well developed back story and a rollercoaster plot. If I was going to be picky some of the action sequences are impossible to follow, but this is a well merited addition to the Marvel cast, and they left plenty of room for a next step. Are we going to see a new 'Avengers Endgame' type finale in ten years time? 
    9/10

Saw this today. First film since before lockdown 1. 

Me, the wife and the kids 10&8 really enjoyed it. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

9/10

Saw this today. First film since before lockdown 1. 

Me, the wife and the kids 10&8 really enjoyed it. 
    Strange names for your kids …
    The other 9 were in the starting line up, Neither Albie or Jake were selected.
  • Options
    Just back from Sheng Chi and the Legend of the Ten Ring Pieces

Really enjoyed it as did all of my family and my wife thought the developing story was much more engaging than a lot of the other Marvel stand alone movies of late. Some really amusing moments too, particularly (minor spoiler) Ben Kingsley’s returning character.

A solid 8.5/10
  • Options
    Kate....pretty good action film, the usual really silly unlikeliness of probabilities of people getting so injured but able to battle 10 ninjas and win......however it was entertaining, so a 6/10

Infinite....Mark Wahlberg....wow he's stooping very low these days what with his Ladbrokes adverts.
    Look, the story line wasn't bad, neither the action or the acting, a good bit of escapism for 90 mins.
    The silliness took a new twist with the aircraft sequence near the end...edit that out or do it differently and the mark would be higher. 5/10
  • Options
    is anyone else subscribing to the new Paramount streaming service? reminds me of the Kodi set up :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just watched three quarters of Ice Road with Liam Neeson on Amazon Prime. Got off to a good start but melted faster than the ice and had to bail out leaving the wife to watch the end. 
    Saw this recently. The opening scene was without doubt the worst use of CGI I have seen in a film. There are some decent bits of action in this which surprised me considering the opening scene and with Laurence Fishburne also starring expected much better. Overall very predictable and barring some of the acting and CGI I just about made it to the end of the road.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    It's "Shang-Chi"  ;)
    Shaun ....
  • Options
    anyone seen or looking forward to the Sopranos prequel ?
  • Options
    My sis is at Universal and has been working on the Bond film. She sent me this today, not jealous much.

How easy is it to change that to Admit One Hundred?
  • Options
    Gunpowder Milkshake. No surprises, competently done. 5/10. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Had enough of the photos now.

• Options
    Yes, I saw it at the weekend. I would recommend it. As with 'The Sopranos', it's a study of character - the trailer gives the impression that there's far more action than there is, whereas in reality it's focused on relationships, largely within the family.

It's beautiful to look at with its period details, and has a soundtrack to match. Ray Liotta was a menacing presence and Michael Gandolfini rises to the challenge of portraying his father's most famous role. 

I'd say the IMDb rating of 7.4 is just right.
  • Options
    Yes, I saw it at the weekend. I would recommend it. As with 'The Sopranos', it's a study of character - the trailer gives the impression that there's far more action than there is, whereas in reality it's focused on relationships, largely within the family.

It's beautiful to look at with its period details, and has a soundtrack to match. Ray Liotta was a menacing presence and Michael Gandolfini rises to the challenge of portraying his father's most famous role. 

I'd say the IMDb rating of 7.4 is just right.
    thanks 
  • Options
    Absolutely - it's my favourite TV show ever (just ahead of The West Wing), so really looking forward to it.