Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• Blucher said:
    Nadou said:
    The Lost Daughter - hated it. Two hours non-story about a neurotic woman. Escapism it's not.
    Spot on. Absolute pretentious shite of the first order !
    I enjoyed it, and Olivia Colman is brilliant in everything! 
  • edited January 2022
    Caught Don't Look Up yesterday, and to be honest, it grated from beginning to end. There wasn't a sigle character I didn't find effortlessly irritating, from DiCaprio offering pointless science when all he needed to do was explain what the comet meant, to the talk show hostess, and the just numbing imbecility of everyone who had better things to do than deal with what was coming. I enjoyed the ending, but that simply turned the rest into an overlong shaggy dog story. I really wanted to like this more but when the characters are all annoying, that ain't gonna happen.
    4/10
    I think the characters were meant to be annoying! 
    They most definitely were. Still doesn't change the fact that it was a big ol' bag-o-shite.
  • Caught Don't Look Up yesterday, and to be honest, it grated from beginning to end. There wasn't a sigle character I didn't find effortlessly irritating, from DiCaprio offering pointless science when all he needed to do was explain what the comet meant, to the talk show hostess, and the just numbing imbecility of everyone who had better things to do than deal with what was coming. I enjoyed the ending, but that simply turned the rest into an overlong shaggy dog story. I really wanted to like this more but when the characters are all annoying, that ain't gonna happen.
    4/10
    They most definitely were. Still doesn't change the fact that it was a big ol' bag-o-shite.
    I didn’t hate it . I thought Mark Rylance was great as was Meryl Streep but as usual it suffers because it’s half an hour too long and the novelty has long worn off by the time it got to the end . 
    7 out of 10
  • Caught Don't Look Up yesterday, and to be honest, it grated from beginning to end. There wasn't a sigle character I didn't find effortlessly irritating, from DiCaprio offering pointless science when all he needed to do was explain what the comet meant, to the talk show hostess, and the just numbing imbecility of everyone who had better things to do than deal with what was coming. I enjoyed the ending, but that simply turned the rest into an overlong shaggy dog story. I really wanted to like this more but when the characters are all annoying, that ain't gonna happen.
    4/10
    Expecting the sequel to be based on members of a certain football forum
    4/10
    I agree with this, expected alot. I really didn't get into it, i watched it today and just felt it had a good cast but the whole story was just a bit silly/ poor. also not a fan 4/10 from me
  • se9addick said:
    Saw West Side Story last night. I’m not a huge musical fan, but I thought it was incredible. Assume it will do very well at the Oscars. 
    Caught this earlier this afternoon. Also thought it was terrific. Fantastic set pieces, brilliant sets and cinematography and the score is of course out of this world. One of those films you'd happily watch again quite quickly afterwards because there's so much going on you're bound to have missed something.
  • se9addick said:
    Saw West Side Story last night. I’m not a huge musical fan, but I thought it was incredible. Assume it will do very well at the Oscars. 
    Caught this earlier this afternoon. Also thought it was terrific. Fantastic set pieces, brilliant sets and cinematography and the score is of course out of this world. One of those films you'd happily watch again quite quickly afterwards because there's so much going on you're bound to have missed something.
    I loved it. Better than the original for me.
  • se9addick said:
    I'm reserving judgement on that until I've seen both again but my wife was definitely of the same view as yourself. 
  • se9addick said:
    I'm reserving judgement on that until I've seen both again but my wife was definitely of the same view as yourself. 
    I watched the original again the other day and it looks very wooden and stilted in comparison. The casting is better in the new version.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    I watched the original again the other day and it looks very wooden and stilted in comparison. The casting is better in the new version.
    Emma Raducanu is very talented!! 
  • Thought Don't Look up was pretty good. Great last clip! So do watch to the very end.
  • The new Ghostbusters was pretty good. Plenty of nostalgia and decent acting from the kids. 
  • edited January 2022
    Watched ghost busters last night too, was surprised how good a watch it was and highly recommend people watch it !  

Not sure if anyone on here has it but Just recently purchased this IPTV subscription which somehow has 1000s of movies including ones just released in the cinema? will be spending my time watching all those. The Platform is run by a charlton fan,  so has every channel in the world including all the football games and ifollow games on there for free too!  So Crazy 
  • Watched 'the saints of Newark ' last night and enjoyed it, I am a Sopranos fan though. 
  • The new Ghostbusters was pretty good. Plenty of nostalgia and decent acting from the kids. 
    I loved it absolutely loved it. Gets things absolutely bang on 

I was an enormous fan of the original film and how the director bought it into modern Times was very clever and it may be because I was at the beginning of covid I nearly fell to pieces with the ending! 

• Licorice Pizza - very much an American Graffiti vibe with personable leads and a great sense of style. 
  • The Lost Daughter....

More like The Lost Plot ! 

What a load of cr*p ! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Just watched Belfast . It’s a genuine masterpiece . What a film . If it doesn’t clear up at the Oscars then I’ll be amazed . 
    Really looking forward to this 
  • Ok, so I have a personal interest in this one, so maybe slightly biased.

Redemption of a Rogue on Netflix now.

Our second cousin, Olivia Smith, was the casting coordinator on it.

Its an Irish, catholic, love story with all that goes with it in an awful town in Co Cavan (of which there are many). 

Slightly bonkers, with a decent soundtrack impo.

Enjoy 💚
  • Drive My Car (Japan)

A film about love and grief and coming to terms with the past. A renowned stage actor and director is directing a theatre production in Hiroshima where he is chauffeured by a quiet young woman assigned to him by the festival. Very slowly a friendship develops, as they both try to confront unresolved issues and resentments from the past. 'Drive My Car' won't be everyone's cup of tea, although I found it a very tender, absorbing and intelligent film, with the 3 hour running time passing almost unnoticed.

Quo Vadis, Aida ? (Bosnia) - currently on Netflix

I missed this one at the cinema last year but caught up with it recently on Netflix. Set in 1995 Srebrenica, the film is a fact-based drama about the increasingly desperate and frantic attempts of a local teacher and United Nations translator to save her husband and sons from the invading Serbian forces, as they and thousands of other Bosnian muslims sought refuge in a United Nations camp in an ostensible UN safety zone. Driven by an outstanding lead performance (who the camera is on throughout), the film is a deeply human but shattering depiction of the calamitous 1995 UN attempt to prevent the Srebrenica massacre. Around 8,000 Bosniak muslim men and boys were massacred by Bosnian Serb forces under the command of the convicted war criminal, Ratko Mladić - chillingly, the worst episode of mass murder within Europe since World War II.

This was probably my favourite film of 2021. I was pleased to see that it won Best Film at last month's European Film Awards, having previously been shortlisted for the 2021 Best International Feature Oscar. Highly recommended.

• Blucher said:
    Drive My Car (Japan)

A film about love and grief and coming to terms with the past. A renowned stage actor and director is directing a theatre production in Hiroshima where he is chauffeured by a quiet young woman assigned to him by the festival. Very slowly a friendship develops, as they both try to confront unresolved issues and resentments from the past. 'Drive My Car' won't be everyone's cup of tea, although I found it a very tender, absorbing and intelligent film, with the 3 hour running time passing almost unnoticed.

I missed this one at the cinema last year but caught up with it recently on Netflix. Set in 1995 Srebrenica, the film is a fact-based drama about the increasingly desperate and frantic attempts of a local teacher and United Nations translator to save her husband and sons from the invading Serbian forces, as they and thousands of other Bosnian muslims sought refuge in a United Nations camp in an ostensible UN safety zone. Driven by an outstanding lead performance (who the camera is on throughout), the film is a deeply human but shattering depiction of the calamitous 1995 UN attempt to prevent the Srebrenica massacre. Around 8,000 Bosniak muslim men and boys were massacred by Bosnian Serb forces under the command of the convicted war criminal, Ratko Mladić - chillingly, the worst episode of mass murder within Europe since World War II.

This was probably my favourite film of 2021. I was pleased to see that it won Best Film at last month's European Film Awards, having previously been shortlisted for the 2021 Best International Feature Oscar. Highly recommended.

QVA has been on our list for a bit, will definitely bump it up after this recommendation. Really loved DMC a lot, and we've since watched a couple more of his previous films which were also great. We're tackling his 5-hour-long and ironically titled 'Happy Hour' next week.
  • Blucher said:
    Drive My Car (Japan)

I really enjoyed Drive my Car. As you said the three hour runtime wasn’t a hinderance at all. 
  • edited January 2022

The Matrix Resurrections: It was a reminder that Lana Wachowski is not interested in making the sequel I want to see. In fact, I would go so far as to say it's the worst film I have seen at the cinema since Movie 43. An absolute cluster-fuck of a movie. The self-referential stuff wasn't clever, and sure as fuck didn't belong in a Matrix movie. There were some interesting concepts but they were entirely wasted. Not least the civil war in the machine world. Neo trying to fly and then going "nah" was a low point too. It was like a Jimmy Kimmel sketch. Such a shame. 2/10

Spider-Man: Absolutely loved it. Loved it. It pandered to Spidey fandom which is probably why. I thought they squandered Doc Ock a little bit, and would like to have seen more of a Doc v Goblin plot as Norman and Otto would have elevated it. But that's just a preference so can't be a criticism. That they managed to make TASM2 emotionally relevant is a hell of an achievement. So many high points I want to see it again quite badly. 8/9

Don't Look Up: I can see why it has split opinion on here. Totally get it. I enjoyed it. I am blown away by how much Di Caprio made me believe in him as a nerdy character (Rylance doing his OTT/ understated thing from Ready Player One thing grated). And I do love McKay's style a lot. Normally I think "It was too long" is a lazy criticism, usually what we mean is that there's a sub-plot or sequence that wasn't needed - a film should be as long as it needs to be to tell the story. But here, they could have cut any number of scenes to make it more palatable. And while it was a bit on the nose with its cultural relevance, it cannot be understated how dumb Americans can be, so kudos to them for not holding back on that.  6/10

• Recently watched the Kings Man

Been looking forward to this for a while - Have really enjoyed the other two films, and am always going to be partial to a film swt during WW1.

As for the film itself... Think the two beforehand were better, but thats partly due to the fact that Taron Egerton is so good in the role, combined with Colin Firth - As this is a prequel they were never going to be in it, and whilst it did explain the formation of the Agency quite well, it also made one part of the plot extremely obvious (Provided you've paid attention to the other films).

It certainly gives an alternate view on why WW1 happened too, which whilst its far fetched (as it didnt happen), its not the most ludicrous storyline.

They could easily link the prequel up so the whole story flows a lot more - But its good to see that the third installment for Taron Egerton is now in place and has been announced. 
  • JiMMy 85 said:

The Matrix Resurrections: It was a reminder that Lana Wachowski is not interested in making the sequel I want to see. In fact, I would go so far as to say it's the worst film I have seen at the cinema since Movie 43. An absolute cluster-fuck of a movie. The self-referential stuff wasn't clever, and sure as fuck didn't belong in a Matrix movie. There were some interesting concepts but they were entirely wasted. Not least the civil war in the machine world. Neo trying to fly and then going "nah" was a low point too. It was like a Jimmy Kimmel sketch. Such a shame. 2/10

Spider-Man: Absolutely loved it. Loved it. It pandered to Spidey fandom which is probably why. I thought they squandered Doc Ock a little bit, and would like to have seen more of a Doc v Goblin plot as Norman and Otto would have elevated it. But that's just a preference so can't be a criticism. That they managed to make TASM2 emotionally relevant is a hell of an achievement. So many high points I want to see it again quite badly. 8/9

Don't Look Up: I can see why it has split opinion on here. Totally get it. I enjoyed it. I am blown away by how much Di Caprio made me believe in him as a nerdy character (Rylance doing his OTT/ understated thing from Ready Player One thing grated). And I do love McKay's style a lot. Normally I think "It was too long" is a lazy criticism, usually what we mean is that there's a sub-plot or sequence that wasn't needed - a film should be as long as it needs to be to tell the story. But here, they could have cut any number of scenes to make it more palatable. And while it was a bit on the nose with its cultural relevance, it cannot be understated how dumb Americans can be, so kudos to them for not holding back on that.  6/10

Just got back from Matrix Resurrections. If West Side Story is going to be one of best films, if not the best, I see this year at the cinema, I'd stake a lot on Matrix 4 being the worst. I enjoyed the trilogy and at the time a lot of the visuals were cutting edge stuff. But this offered nothing new on that front  and certainly not enough to make up for the pretentious, self indulgent, confusing mess of a plot.

Avoid. 
  • Just watched the latest Spiderman with my youngest.
    As per, I haven't watched many of the others but thought it was great fun.
  • Licorice Pizza - very much an American Graffiti vibe with personable leads and a great sense of style. 
    Saw this today - not really sure what to make of it. Captures the atmosphere of the time and visually is spot on but I didn't feel that involved with the main characters.

Surprised how much critics are raving about it.