Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• Caught The French Dispatch last night. As ever with his movies it will divide viewers. I am a fan of Wes Anderson, except for the Life Aquatic...which I hated, but I really, really enjoyed it. It's unmistakably a Wes Anderson film - if you knew nothing about it, you'd know it was his work within 30 secs. And for me, thats not bad thing.

Yes, it's essentially a collection of short stories built around one character but I still  enjoyed them. All the usual actors you'd expect in a Wes Anderson film are there and, having deliberately avoid any reviews, etc. I really enjoyed the "surprise" cameos and appearances too.

Don't bother if you don't like his films, it won't change your mind, but recommended if you do. 
    I really enjoyed it.
  • been stuck indoors with  (a supposedly) non-covid virus .. chance to catch up .. most striking so far ? ..

from a while ago 'The Death of Stalin' .. superbly set and acted satire .. also despite (perhaps even because of) the comedy, a film that shows up like not many films and documentaries had done before, the horror and terror endured by the Russian people at the hands of grubby little Uncle Joe and his psychotic, drunken acolytes and henchmen
  • been stuck indoors with  (a supposedly) non-covid virus .. chance to catch up .. most striking so far ? ..

from a while ago 'The Death of Stalin' .. superbly set and acted satire .. also despite (perhaps even because of) the comedy, a film that shows up like not many films and documentaries had done before, the horror and terror endured by the Russian people at the hands of grubby little Uncle Joe and his psychotic, drunken acolytes and henchmen
    great film
  • stonemuse said:
    been stuck indoors with  (a supposedly) non-covid virus .. chance to catch up .. most striking so far ? ..

great film
    Indeed. 

Just off out to see Ghostbusters: afterlife at Catford Mews.
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Ghostbusters: Afterlife

I'm not afraid to admit that I was really looking forward to this one! An unashamedly nostalgic sequel/ reboot that director Jason Reitman (son of Ghostbusters director Ivan) is as qualified to make as anyone, and his love for and familiarity with the franchise is what got it made. 

The first hour is a big tease, almost like a trailer for the movie inside the movie. It only really makes sense if someone put a blindfold on you and didn't tell you what movie you were about to watch. Still, the slow burn before finally unleashing the big hitters - the proton packs, music, Gozer and so on - does work. 

Some of the characters are horrifically under-written. Not least the mother of the kids who, I thought, were cast a little too young and acted like adults (the kid called Podcast delivering exposition that could have been written for a 60-year-old was a bit much). That said, the girl playing Egon's granddaughter (McKenna Grace) was outstanding. A genuine talent.  

They deal really well with the death of Harold Ramis, and I must admit I got a little choked up at one point. 

It has some flaws - It delves into a more slapstick tone at some points which didn't quite fit, and I think it might have been chopped up a bit in the edit suite which makes the odd subplot fail to pay off. Also, there's a frustrating lack of people around the town who aren't the main characters. There are two or three other things that I really liked but that would require spoilers and I can't remember how to do spoilers on here! 

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and I hope it's a hit, because I'd happily watch more of this. 

4/6.5
    Must admit I was looking forward to it and I loved it, had a tear in my eye, maybe two tears as I missed the Plymouth game too but there’s still time for that to get fucked up 😱👻
  • Not a recent film by a long shot, being 1963, but I watched The Small World of Sammy Lee again. One of the great London location films, mostly Soho and a bit of the East End, and a career-best performance by Anthony Newley. A lot of people have said that Uncut Gems is basically a remake of this. 
  • edited November 2021
    Encanto 

New Disney animation about a displaced family with magical powers. Very enjoyable watch with a good soundtrack.
  • West Side Story

Thought it was excellent - loved the way it was shot and an excellent cast. One of my favourite soundtracks.
  • edited December 2021
    Eight months on of our dedicated channel on Anazon Prime, we've now built our web and app based SVOD service. 

30 day free trial.  Hundreds of feelgood and nostalgic films for your viewing pleasure, hundreds more blockbusters coming in 2022.

My Christmas present to you all!

https://www.iconfilmchannel.uk

• I know I could Google it but SVOD has made me chuckle as an acronym, what does it mean? Something on demand I'd guess but the SV bit is throwing me 

• Sponsored links:

• Carter said:
    I know I could Google it but SVOD has made me chuckle as an acronym, what does it mean? Something on demand I'd guess but the SV bit is throwing me 

Subscription Video On Demand.
  • West Side Story

Thought it was excellent - loved the way it was shot and an excellent cast. One of my favourite soundtracks.
    is that the new or old one ? .. the old on is a real, all time classic and I am looking forward to seeing the Speilberg version
  • supaclive said:
    Eight months on of our dedicated channel on Anazon Prime, we've now built our web and app based SVOD service. 

30 day free trial.  Hundreds of feelgood and nostalgic films for your viewing pleasure, hundreds more blockbusters coming in 2022.

My Christmas present to you all!

https://www.iconfilmchannel.uk

Awesome. Christmas viewing sorted.
  • West Side Story

is that the new or old one ? .. the old on is a real, all time classic and I am looking forward to seeing the Speilberg version
    The new one - excellent. 
  • West Side Story

The new one - excellent. 
    cheers
  • Watched The Last Duel last night. Had high expectations with the director (Ridley Scott) and cast (Adam Driver & Matt Damon) but parts of it grated. It's the same story told from three different people's point of view, but the differences in the POVs are only subtle, so you end up replaying the same scenes three times and with only very subtle differences, and it's incredibly dull to watch the same scenes over and over again. 

It does deal with some interesting themes and the performances are good. 
  • Chunes said:
    Watched The Last Duel last night. Had high expectations with the director (Ridley Scott) and cast (Adam Driver & Matt Damon) but parts of it grated. It's the same story told from three different people's point of view, but the differences in the POVs are only subtle, so you end up replaying the same scenes three times and with only very subtle differences, and it's incredibly dull to watch the same scenes over and over again. 

It does deal with some interesting themes and the performances are good. 
    I enjoyed it and agree with the criticism of it too

Matt Damon was brilliant, Ben Affleck was hamming it right up and had me laughing out loud at some points. Adam Driver plays a bad guy really well and Jodie Comer was good too but her accent kept going all over the place which made me laugh a few times but portrayed the character very well 
  • I watched Antlers on my IPTV last night. 

Very strange but I enjoyed the darkness of it and considering the subject matter is a mythical monster, the acting was pretty good. 
  • edited December 2021
    The new Spider-Man is very good, genuinely got some brilliant moments and goes in directions I didn't expect. 

Also BIG potential spoilers ahead... 

That said you really need to have seen at least the first two to get the most out of it and preferably the other spider man films (e.g. Maguire and Garfield) too

• West Side Story

I liked the original so much.  I hate musicals but that was so good I forgot to be annoyed by people bursting into song.

So, I'm not sure I want to tempt fate and end up disliking this one which would ruin the memory of the first one.
  • Sponsored links:

• West Side Story

I liked the original so much.  I hate musicals but that was so good I forgot to be annoyed by people bursting into song.

So, I'm not sure I want to tempt fate and end up disliking this one which would ruin the memory of the first one.
    Better than the first one for me.
  • West Side Story

I love the original, didnt think the new one added anything and there was a lack of chemistry between Tony and Maria 7/10
  • Guy Ritchies Wrath of Man, starring Jason Statham is now available on Prime. An entertaining watch, even if some of the scenes defy believe.
  • kimbo said:
    West Side Story

I love the original, didnt think the new one added anything and there was a lack of chemistry between Tony and Maria 7/10
    Not sure what it adds to the first one. It is very watchable because it is a great musical but the first one is best IMO.
  • Ron's Gone Wrong.
    A thoroughly entertaining animated movie. It looks as though someone who worked on Big Hero Six may have been involved, but this is a great family flick. At times sad  thoughtful and laugh out loud funny, this is well worth a look. And if you have the Disney app, it's on there for free.
    8/10
  • Ron's Gone Wrong.
    A thoroughly entertaining animated movie. It looks as though someone who worked on Big Hero Six may have been involved, but this is a great family flick. At times sad  thoughtful and laugh out loud funny, this is well worth a look. And if you have the Disney app, it's on there for free.
    8/10
    Loved this too. 

Big hero six is another favourite.
  • Ron's Gone Wrong.
    8/10
    For free if you pay £8 a month for the app?! 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Ron's Gone Wrong.
    8/10
    For free if you pay £8 a month for the app?! 
    Thats what I said 😁
  • New Spiderman is very good - my girlfriend really enjoyed it as well although she had no idea of some of the references and nods to previous films. Willem Dafoe absolutely steals the show as Green Goblin, he's brilliant in it. I read beforehand that he insisted on doing all his own stunts as well which was really impressive (obviously not the back flipping etc but all the fight scenes I expect). Liked where it left the character moving forward too.
  • Ron's Gone Wrong.
    8/10
    Thought it was brilliant.