Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• Yeah I’ll take credit for Forgotten Battle and all the misnaming as well.
    Watching it now !
  • edited October 2021
    Dune felt like 5 episodes of a TV show squished together. 

I wish it was a TV show because I want to see more based on the start of the series (first film)
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dune felt like 5 episodes of a TV show squished together. 

I wish it was a TV show because I want to see more based on the start of the series (first film)
    A cross between Star Wars, Game of Thrones and Lawrence of Arabia. Good if you like that kind of thing, abrupt ending I thought.
  • edited October 2021
    Agree on the abrupt ending, there were 4 or 5 points throughout that would have been your typical end points of episodes, including the actual film ending.
  • edited October 2021
    Haven’t seen Dune yet but almost every single Villeneuve movie I can think of has an abrupt ending! Edit - but when you look back the arcs are complete and there’s not much else to say!
  • Just seen the latest Wes Anderson film The French Dispatch - I really enjoyed it and loved the visuals.

If you're not a Wes Anderson fan you'll obviously hate it given his style of filmaking.
  • Just seen the latest Wes Anderson film The French Dispatch - I really enjoyed it and loved the visuals.

If you're not a Wes Anderson fan you'll obviously hate it given his style of filmaking.
    I’ve not seen it but I know I’ll hate it ! His films give me headaches 
  • I saw the latest Venom film with my kids - it was better than I expected.
    Just watched this tonight, thought it was pretty average and too similar to the first. 

Personally thought it was a bit tame, pacing was all off with a couple of the earlier stories felt a lot longer than the others. Generally, like nearly all his movies (save grand budapest hotel, which is superb), it's largely style over substance. 
  • Saw Dune with my Mrs tonight. She didn’t like it at all, I thought it was ok, but could have done with a pace injection. Visuals, sound and score were really good. Will watch part 2 if/when it is released.
  • Sponsored links:

Personally thought it was a bit tame, pacing was all off with a couple of the earlier stories felt a lot longer than the others. Generally, like nearly all his movies (save grand budapest hotel, which is superb), it's largely style over substance. 
    I liked the film a lot particularly the look of it - it is more a European film than an American one particularly with the pacing. If you want a film with a traditional narrative then it's less likely to appeal.

I found it a lot more interesting to watch than a lot of films.
  • Spent over 2 hours tonight watching what I believe is a new addition to  Netflix called Sonny Boy.

It's a Dutch film with subtitles and a true story but well worth seeing IMO.

Very moving. 

And I normally only shed a tear when an animal dies on screen..... 
  • Spent over 2 hours tonight watching what I believe is a new addition to  Netflix called Sonny Boy.

Very moving. 

So I take it Sonny dies - Spoiler Alert 🚨 

Very moving. 

So I take it Sonny dies - Spoiler Alert 🚨 
    I didn't say that ! 

Just that no animals bit the dust this time ! 
  • edited November 2021
    Last Night in Soho
     I really enjoyed it. Took a little while to settle, but once it hit its stride it was an absorbing and unusual take on someone who sees visions of the past. 
    Good cast including the two leads, and a fair few familiar faces crop up. The warning is 'strong bloody violence' and there is a bit but it's not prevalent, so if gore isn't your thing don't let that put you off.
    Kept me watching throughout, a solid 8.
  • Anyone watched Finch yet? Tom Hanks' new film.

Just finished it and have to say I quite enjoyed it.

Definitely family friendly, with some good heartfelt moments between man, dog and robot  :)
  • Saw Dune with my Mrs tonight. She didn’t like it at all, I thought it was ok, but could have done with a pace injection. Visuals, sound and score were really good. Will watch part 2 if/when it is released.
    The jury's very much out for me on this one too. Great looking film but again found the pacing a bit irritating. There's also something about Timothée Chalamet that gets right on my wick but can't quite put my finger on what it is.

Maybe a 6/10.
  • Loved Finch. It’s a combination of numerous films (I Am Legend, Chappie, The Road) with a maturity to the story that makes it really interesting. It skips a lot of cliched story options and goes with something far more rewarding. 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Loved Finch. It’s a combination of numerous films (I Am Legend, Chappie, The Road) with a maturity to the story that makes it really interesting. It skips a lot of cliched story options and goes with something far more rewarding. 
    I was going to say similar re the amalgamation of other films. It does it in a very sympathetic way (for me, at least) without leaning too far in to any of them. Soft nods here and there whilst also keeping its own identity.

Very well made.
  • The Marksman on Prime. Standard Liam Neeson fare. Just OK from me. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Watched Eternals last night. Its OK but not as good as a lot of the previous Marvel stuff. The mid credits introduction of a couple of new characters was pretty awful in terms of effects and acting!

Think Marvel films in general are going through a bit of a lull. That's possibly due to  saturation with there being so many and the fact they're trying to introduce new sets of characters you aren't really invested in.
  • Watched Withnail and I again last night. Forgotten what a thoroughly good and funny film it is
  • Watched Eternals last night. Its OK but not as good as a lot of the previous Marvel stuff. The mid credits introduction of a couple of new characters was pretty awful in terms of effects and acting!

Think Marvel films in general are going through a bit of a lull. That's possibly due to  saturation with there being so many and the fact they're trying to introduce new sets of characters you aren't really invested in.
    Releasing all their decent content on Disney+

• Dazzler21 said:
    Watched Eternals last night. Its OK but not as good as a lot of the previous Marvel stuff. The mid credits introduction of a couple of new characters was pretty awful in terms of effects and acting!

Releasing all their decent content on Disney+

Doesn't help either that since Black Widow it's been two new films from Marvel - From December onwards (Spider-Man looks like it should be huge) there are eight planned releases

Six of them will be sequels which I imagine will largely follow on from Loki and WandaVision, whilst one will be the Fantastic Four reboot (again!!).

This period with Shang Chi and Etermals was always going to be the difficult section in the next phase of their Movies. 
  • Finally got around to seeing Dune. Missed my chance at IMAX so went to my local Odeon having just moved house. The screen was bloody awful. Been really spoilt with having a Luxe up the road for the last two years. 

I soon regretted it. Dune needs to be seen on the biggest screen possible. 

Really enjoyed the film however. Villeneuve is not afraid to pace a film slowly which I love about his stuff. And as a more show-don’t-tell style of director, it was fascinating to see him have to build a huge mythology early on without ramming the exposition down our throats. It was a bit heavy handed at times but once he got past the backstory stuff I thought it was riveting. 

Definitely odd to release what’s clearly an unfinished story without really communicating that it’s intended to be 2 or 3 parts (it’s about as standalone as Fellowship of the Ring was). The ending in that sense is sudden, although it did feel like a natural pause point. 

• About 2/3 of the way through the book Dune (and knowing where the film ends) I have to say that there's not really a "natural" end point in the same way that Fellowship had a climax to its own plot whilst still being one part of the bigger story.

I think the point they chose is as good a choice as they could go for given that there is a bit of an internal time skip anyway, so actors looking older etc in the next one would not be a deal breaker. 

I’ve not seen it but I know I’ll hate it ! His films give me headaches 
    I’m just the opposite, I love the look of them. 

I saw this on Saturday and enjoyed it somewhat. I wouldn't call myself a 'fan' of Wes but my girlfriend is and she really enjoyed it. Just left me wondering what the point was really, but that's just how his films are.

Do enjoy the visuals and style though, especially in the final segment
  • Ghostbusters: Afterlife

I'm not afraid to admit that I was really looking forward to this one! An unashamedly nostalgic sequel/ reboot that director Jason Reitman (son of Ghostbusters director Ivan) is as qualified to make as anyone, and his love for and familiarity with the franchise is what got it made. 

The first hour is a big tease, almost like a trailer for the movie inside the movie. It only really makes sense if someone put a blindfold on you and didn't tell you what movie you were about to watch. Still, the slow burn before finally unleashing the big hitters - the proton packs, music, Gozer and so on - does work. 

Some of the characters are horrifically under-written. Not least the mother of the kids who, I thought, were cast a little too young and acted like adults (the kid called Podcast delivering exposition that could have been written for a 60-year-old was a bit much). That said, the girl playing Egon's granddaughter (McKenna Grace) was outstanding. A genuine talent.  

They deal really well with the death of Harold Ramis, and I must admit I got a little choked up at one point. 

It has some flaws - It delves into a more slapstick tone at some points which didn't quite fit, and I think it might have been chopped up a bit in the edit suite which makes the odd subplot fail to pay off. Also, there's a frustrating lack of people around the town who aren't the main characters. There are two or three other things that I really liked but that would require spoilers and I can't remember how to do spoilers on here! 

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and I hope it's a hit, because I'd happily watch more of this. 

4/6.5
  • Caught The French Dispatch last night. As ever with his movies it will divide viewers. I am a fan of Wes Anderson, except for the Life Aquatic...which I hated, but I really, really enjoyed it. It's unmistakably a Wes Anderson film - if you knew nothing about it, you'd know it was his work within 30 secs. And for me, thats not bad thing.

Yes, it's essentially a collection of short stories built around one character but I still  enjoyed them. All the usual actors you'd expect in a Wes Anderson film are there and, having deliberately avoid any reviews, etc. I really enjoyed the "surprise" cameos and appearances too.

Don't bother if you don't like his films, it won't change your mind, but recommended if you do.