Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• Saw Boiling Point with Steve Graham the other night.
    Thought it was pretty good
  • "Fr Stu" with Mark Wahlberg and Mel Gibson is meant to be a great film. Came out last friday. Talk of academy awards for both. 

I wonder what Gibson would have done if that slapper Will Smith had taken umbrage at one of his legendary alopecia gags! 

WW3 I suspect! 

Watched this on Friday too, thought it was really good, for what sounds like a pretty mundane storyline it was surprisingly tense.
    Watched this on Friday too, thought it was really good, for what sounds like a pretty mundane storyline it was surprisingly tense.
    Anything with Stephen Graham involved in has the potential to be really good. I enjoyed it 7/10 

• Carter said:
    Saw Boiling Point with Steve Graham the other night.
    Anything with Stephen Graham involved in has the potential to be really good. I enjoyed it 7/10 

I'd give it 6/10, was ok but overhyped so maybe that affected my judgement. Still agree with the above, anything Stephen Graham is in usually is decent. 
  • I could probably watch SG play candy crush for 24 hours straight and still be captivated (now there's an arthouse premise). I liked that they stayed away from the classic 'chef flying off the handle' cooking-Whiplash that I was expecting. Aside from the weird abrupt ending, I thought it was a nice ensemble piece and it must have been a lot of fun to plan and execute.
  • The Batman 

Eurgh, tough one this. 

Plus points 

Pattinson as Batman was excellent, also the fact we were constantly reminded he can't fly or shoot lasersout of his arsehole, very much showed the human vulnerability and the tollof doing what he was doing, took on his body. Andy Serkis was a good choice as Alfred, Zoe Kravitz was excellent as Selina Kyle, loved the guy who played the Penguin (just looked it up and found out it was Colin Farrell which is testament to how good the prosthetics were, had absolutely no idea!), I appreciated the allbeit re-hashed story about deep rooted corruption 

I liked the fact we didn't again get the Thomas and Martha being killed backstory again, even if we still kind of did in a roundabout way. 

The less good bits

I know he is the Dark Knight but the film was so dark, and much more in the feel of the Tim Burton films. 

Didn't like Felix Leiter as Gordon, I didnt feel he had any depth of character at all, and I wasn't a particular fan of Paul Dano playing the riddler as much as I think he played it as well as he could but the whole gimp suit outfit and then sounding a lot like Tom Hardy doing Bane for chunks of dialogue made me long for another Batman film in that Nolan universe. Which is probably where my bias comes from, I thought he got the tone of Batman films absolutely spot on including the human vulnerability aspect. I hope the next film is lit better, less gothic but take that with what its worth, I think the Nolan Batman films won't be topped (even of I did think the first of the 3 was overhyped) so I'm very much biased in that regard

7/10 
  • Jackass Forever 

You know what you are getting here and I'm a fan, unashamed fan. 

A couple of new members are introduced Rachel Wolfson and Poopies as well as the usual background characters. 

It amazes me they can find new stupid things to do still and nobody has died on set. I had at least 5 belly laughs watching this and Johnny Knoxville proves him and bulls are still not good bed fellows. 

If you like Jackass you will love it, its stupid  its crass, its revolting and the opposite of high brow but my word it is funny and does exactly what is says in the tin

9/10 
  • Not a new film but got round to watching Memories of Murder. It is excellent, however I wish I'd seen it before the killer was caught in 2020. It loses some of its dramatic effect. Still definitely worth a watch for those that haven't seen it, just for the performance of the incompetent lead detective.
  • Not a new film but got round to watching Memories of Murder. It is excellent, however I wish I'd seen it before the killer was caught in 2020. It loses some of its dramatic effect. Still definitely worth a watch for those that haven't seen it, just for the performance of the incompetent lead detective.
    Is it on Netflix?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2022
    Saw Operation Mincemeat yesterday. A retelling of 'The Man Who Never Was' with Colin Firth being very, well, Colin Firth. Good true story, well told. Solid 7.
  • edited April 2022
    Carter said:
    The Batman 

Eurgh, tough one this. 

Plus points 

Pattinson as Batman was excellent, also the fact we were constantly reminded he can't fly or shoot lasersout of his arsehole, very much showed the human vulnerability and the tollof doing what he was doing, took on his body. Andy Serkis was a good choice as Alfred, Zoe Kravitz was excellent as Selina Kyle, loved the guy who played the Penguin (just looked it up and found out it was Colin Farrell which is testament to how good the prosthetics were, had absolutely no idea!), I appreciated the allbeit re-hashed story about deep rooted corruption 

I liked the fact we didn't again get the Thomas and Martha being killed backstory again, even if we still kind of did in a roundabout way. 

The less good bits

I know he is the Dark Knight but the film was so dark, and much more in the feel of the Tim Burton films. 

Didn't like Felix Leiter as Gordon, I didnt feel he had any depth of character at all, and I wasn't a particular fan of Paul Dano playing the riddler as much as I think he played it as well as he could but the whole gimp suit outfit and then sounding a lot like Tom Hardy doing Bane for chunks of dialogue made me long for another Batman film in that Nolan universe. Which is probably where my bias comes from, I thought he got the tone of Batman films absolutely spot on including the human vulnerability aspect. I hope the next film is lit better, less gothic but take that with what its worth, I think the Nolan Batman films won't be topped (even of I did think the first of the 3 was overhyped) so I'm very much biased in that regard

7/10 
    Watched this last night. 

I agree on almost everything you've said. I was surprised by the variation in quality. Leiter's Jim Gordon could have been called generic cop 3 for all I cared whilst Serkis' Alfred felt very well thought out. The Riddler was shite. Shiter than shite even. I know he was cheesy, but no one beats Jim Carey. The chap from Gotham (tv show) was also good. 

There were a number of cliches that were poorly planned out.

I didn't like Pattinson as Bruce Wayne, but he did well as Batman... I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it's a bit like Cavill being a good Superman and a bad Clark Kent or in reverse Tyler Hoechlin and Brandon Routh being good Clarks and poor Supermen. Back on point though Pattinson's size bothered me in the build up to the film, in reality though it wasn't a problem. It's nice to have a hero that isn't on the Hollywood Juice diet. 

On reflection I quite enjoyed it, though there were a couple of bits that could have been skipped - just dialogue where 3 words could have done the job of the 500 used. 

• IdleHans said:
    Saw Operation Mincemeat yesterday. A retelling of 'The Man Who Never Was' with Colin Firth being very, well, Colin Firth. Good true story, well told. Solid 7.
    I enjoyed the film .... slow start but worth sticking with it.

Don't expect it to be too close to reality, a lot of changes made for dramatic effect, although the core of the story remains true. 
    Is it on Netflix?

No I watched on Curzon, which you can access via Prime Video. 30 free trial which I cancelled straight away.
  • Saw operation mincemeat last Monday, although I enjoyed it found the picture quality a bit dark in places at Cineworld, wife thought it was a bit slow, I felt the love triangle a bit overplayed and didn't think it added much to the story, lead actors were good but I do find Colin Firth a bit samey in all his roles, all in all a solid 7/10
  • edited April 2022
    Not a new film but got round to watching Memories of Murder. It is excellent, however I wish I'd seen it before the killer was caught in 2020. It loses some of its dramatic effect. Still definitely worth a watch for those that haven't seen it, just for the performance of the incompetent lead detective.
    That movie is in my all-time top ten! Absolutely love it. Although I didn't realise the killer had been caught more recently, that's mad. I got my fiance to watch it last month but could only find it to rent on Amazon - where did you see it?  edit - just seen it's on Curzon. Ta. 
  • edited April 2022
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Not a new film but got round to watching Memories of Murder. It is excellent, however I wish I'd seen it before the killer was caught in 2020. It loses some of its dramatic effect. Still definitely worth a watch for those that haven't seen it, just for the performance of the incompetent lead detective.
    That movie is in my all-time top ten! Absolutely love it. Although I didn't realise the killer had been caught more recently, that's mad. I got my fiance to watch it last month but could only find it to rent on Amazon - where did you see it?  edit - just seen it's on Curzon. Ta. 
    Yeah they matched his DNA and then he just admitted to them all, providing incredibly accurate details of the murder scenes. He was already locked up for the rape and murder of his sister-in-law. He cant actually be punished for them though as their is/was a time limit on crimes in Korea. They had already put away 1 guy for one of the murder who served 20 years! I tried finding out about the song on the radio and the guy they suspected in the film, however i think he was a metaphor for the hundreds of innocent suspects that suffered police brutality during the investigation.
  • edited April 2022
    Watched AmbuLAnce at the weekend. Pretty much the usual Michael Bay action stuff, with some great car chases. Jake Gyllenhaal is good and Eiza Gonzalez is so hot, she's worth the time alone. Decent watch if you wanna switch off for 90 mins to watch a film you don't have to think hard about. Certainly wont win any awards though.
  • Watched a few recently.

Uncharted - Usual fayre. Easy to watch. Not much of a storyline. Very generic. 6/10

The Batman - Never been a fan of Batman movies but enjoyed this one. 7/10

The Outfit - Slow burner but worth watching. 7/10

• Took my eldest to see Fantastic Beasts 3, it was fine, much better than the 2nd one, but probably a 6/10.

One thing though Jude Law's accent was all over the shop, there was his normal accent, a bit of American, bit of West Country... wonder if he'd been asked to try and sound like Michael Gambon and failed miserably?
  • Sponsored links:

• Watched Uncharted yesterday, but had to turn it off half way through - Tom Holland (as someone who’s played the games, thought he was a bizarre choice as Nate)was doing my tits in and I couldn’t take anymore. Some of the dialogue between him and Wahlberg was beyond cringe. 

• Took my eldest to see Fantastic Beasts 3, it was fine, much better than the 2nd one, but probably a 6/10.

One thing though Jude Law's accent was all over the shop, there was his normal accent, a bit of American, bit of West Country... wonder if he'd been asked to try and sound like Michael Gambon and failed miserably?
    It’s an easy watch - I quite enjoyed it. 
  • Watched No Time to Die on prime the other night. I lost interest after 20 minutes. I know my attention span isnt what it used to be, but it was just same old same old as far as I could see.
  • stonemuse said:
    Took my eldest to see Fantastic Beasts 3, it was fine, much better than the 2nd one, but probably a 6/10.

It’s an easy watch - I quite enjoyed it. 
    Yeah, same, glad they went more light-hearted again like (bits of) the first one, the second one was a bit heavy.

My daughter absolutely loved it, which is the important thing!
  • Carter said:
    The Batman 

Eurgh, tough one this. 

Plus points 

The less good bits

7/10 
    Just to say that I think this review/critique is very very good and very fair. I thought Dano was disturbingly impressive in the brief window he had a chance to shine, but as you say, his non-traditional Riddler garb deprived him of more moments to shine than the scenes he was in right toward the end of the movie. Looking forward to the sequel, but Nolan’s The Dark Knight will likely never be topped.
  • Thought the Outfit was alright. 6.5/10
  • IdleHans said:
    I saw a 1950s film called The Man That Never Was a while back on TV and I think it is the same story. It was pretty decent I thought. Is it worth watching the new one if you know the story?
  • I finally decided to watch 'Passengers' last night and found the concept fascinating. It led me to think about what I would do in his situation.

Would you wake another passenger?

I think that if I were on board I would probably try first to wake the lead character because he's an engineer, the aim being of course for him to get us both back into hibernation.
    In the film though he is not able to do this. So then would we decide to wake two female passengers? Would that lead to the harmony that they found in the film, or in-fighting?

The problem that wasn't explored in the film was the food that they were eating. If they both live for 60 more years then by my calculations they would eat over 7.5 per cent of the food stored for the 5000 passengers.
  • Stuck Together - French, quite charming, gentle comedy/farce set in a Parisian apartment block during lockdown. Presumably written and filmed during the first lockdown.

There was only one real lockdown in France.

For the second and third, we were allowed out for work, and generally there were quite a lot of people about although not as many as usual because most shops and all leisure facilities were closed. There were also curfews, outdoor mask wearing laws, and 10km travelling restrictions. The first lockdown was the only true lockdown.
  • I’ve just watched Once Upon a time in Hollywood.

🤣🤣 you had to wait awhile but feck it’s classic Tarantino at the end 🤣🤣