Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Latest Films

Comments

• edited May 2022
    Dont bother with Uncharted. What a load of shite.
  • Dont bother with Unchartered. What a load of shite.
    Is that the one about a flight, that nobody knew about, turning up at an airport and causing lots of avoidable confusion? 😉
  • Dont bother with Uncharted. What a load of shite.
    Caught it with my daughter - she'd already seen it. The upside was I got some father/daughter time in, which was great. The downside was Uncharted. Really dumb film. The game was much better.
  • Watched Ambulance last night, thoroughly enjoyable nonsense. 
  • edited May 2022
    Venom - Let there be carnage, on Sky demand

Really enjoyed it overall, a few bits which seem over the top but still worth watching and decent enough. 7.5/10
  • Venom - Let there be carnage, on Sky demand

Really enjoyed it overall, a few bits which seem over the top but still worth watching and decent enough. 7.5/10
    Let there be carnage... certainly get plenty of that at the Valley!
  • Has anyone seen ‘Everything Everywhere all at Once’? The reviews are extremely promising.
    Booked a preview screening for Monday. No idea of what to expect, but hoping to be pleasantly surprised
  • I’ve just watched Once Upon a time in Hollywood.

🤣🤣 you had to wait awhile but feck it’s classic Tarantino at the end 🤣🤣
    He wrote a book that expands on the film as well which I've been reading recently, interesting but in a very Tarantino style.
  • I’ve just watched Once Upon a time in Hollywood.

🤣🤣 you had to wait awhile but feck it’s classic Tarantino at the end 🤣🤣
    He wrote a book that expands on the film as well which I've been reading recently, interesting but in a very Tarantino style.
    Oooh that sounds right up my strasse.
    Thank you 🙏🏻
  • edited May 2022
    Not quite sure what  to think about the new Dr Strange movie, it’s well…. Strange!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022
    These are the films I've seen this year:
    (My marks tend to be quite high, because I'm a big fan of getting out and sitting in a comfy cinema with a coffee or a glass of wine).

House of Gucci 7 Big fan of Adam Driver. Didn't realise Lady Gaga was in it until half way through. She was ok actually.

Nightmare Alley  7 (Strange, but compelling film featuring much circus weirdness)

Parallel Mothers 6 (Penelope Cruz, solid, well made, but a little dull at times)

The Batman 7.5 Too dark for my taste, lighting wise. You might have your living room lit quite low, but your eyes and brain combine to compensate. If you light a 'living room' in a movie to the same light levels the camera does not compensate in the same way. It looks like everyone is stumbling around in the dark. Speaking as a former lighting cameraman I'm hoping this trend dies out soon. Nothing wrong with creating  atmosphere, but overdoing it just looks wrong.

The Worst Person in the World 7 Quite enjoyed this at the time, but it hasn't stayed with me very strongly.

The Phantom of the Open 7 If you're a golfer you'll love this, as I did, but again, the interior scenes were underlit. Mark Rylance is brilliant.

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (Nick Cage) 8. If I'd been a massive Nicolas Cage fan (like my daughter) I'd probably have given this 9/10, but  some of the reference to his previous movies were lost on me. An enjoyable romp, with a very strong bromance at the heart of it.

Fantastic Beasts 3 8/10 Hadn't seen the previous two in the series, but found this quite uplifting in a low key way. 

All seen at the Clapham Picturehouse.
  • edited May 2022
    Dr Strange and the Multiverse of Madness
    I went in to this with not terribly high expectations. I enjoyed the first film when I finally got around to watching it, and I like the Dr Strange character, but the reviews were very mixed. However, I found it really enjoyable and gripping. The characters were well acted, the storyline was interesting (and as I've read elswhere it was supposed to be confusing, if you can follow a Christopher Nolan film like Origen or The Prestige, this is child's play), and there were some of the ususal funny one liners that make Marvel films so enjoyable. I certainly found it better overal than the Eternals, and while it wasn't up to the epic high's of the last two Avengers films, it was well worth the entry. And (sadly) a lot more fun as well as scary (ask my daughter) than tha latest Fantastic Creatures film.
    But then again, I went in with low expectations, which always makes it easier to be wowed. 
    8.5/10
  • Nightmare Alley, rented on Prime. I though this was a great film. It's three hours long but the time passed quickly. Brilliant film noir styling, Bradley Cooper and Cate Blanchett looking every inch like Hollywood stars of the 40s, well supported by Willem Dafoe and Toni Collette among others.
    A dark tale with carnival freak weirdness, should have won more awards in my opinion. 9/10.

• IdleHans said:
    Nightmare Alley, rented on Prime. I though this was a great film. It's three hours long but the time passed quickly. Brilliant film noir styling, Bradley Cooper and Cate Blanchett looking every inch like Hollywood stars of the 40s, well supported by Willem Dafoe and Toni Collette among others.
    A dark tale with carnival freak weirdness, should have won more awards in my opinion. 9/10.

Yeah, it turned up on the Disney Plus package, so I watched it when the rest of the family were out. Great story and acting, really good film.
  • Dr Strange and the Multiverse of Madness
    I went in to this with not terribly high expectations. I enjoyed the first film when I finally got around to watching it, and I like the Dr Strange character, but the reviews were very mixed. However, I found it really enjoyable and gripping. The characters were well acted, the storyline was interesting (and as I've read elswhere it was supposed to be confusing, if you can follow a Christopher Nolan film like Origen or The Prestige, this is child's play), and there were some of the ususal funny one liners that make Marvel films so enjoyable. I certainly found it better overal than the Eternals, and while it wasn't up to the epic high's of the last two Avengers films, it was well worth the entry. And (sadly) a lot more fun as well as scary (ask my daughter) than tha latest Fantastic Creatures film.
    But then again, I went in with low expectations, which always makes it easier to be wowed. 
    8.5/10
    Going tomorrow… looking forward to it 
  • Dr Strange and the Multiverse of Madness
    8.5/10
    I'm not much of a Marvel fan but my wife took my daughter to see this on Friday and they both thought it was brilliant.
  • edited May 2022
    IdleHans said:
    Has anyone seen ‘Everything Everywhere all at Once’? The reviews are extremely promising.
    Booked a preview screening for Monday. No idea of what to expect, but hoping to be pleasantly surprised
    Saw it this evening. Not really sure what to make of it. Utterly bizarre, but entertaining in parts and a good few funny moments. I could rate it it 3 or 8, so strange was it. 
    Edit: having slept on it, I'll give it 4. It probably suffers from following so closely behind Nightmare Alley 
  • Watched Senior Year on Netflix.
    Not great but had this Palace moment

Subtitles are on ‘cos I’m a bit mutton!
  • IdleHans said:
    Has anyone seen ‘Everything Everywhere all at Once’? The reviews are extremely promising.
    How was it @IdleHans
  • edited May 2022
    IdleHans said:
    How was it @IdleHans
    Bizarre. 4/10.
    That said, it does have a reasonable number of funny moments and it's not without merit. It's a total mishmash of elements, the title is fairly descriptive of the film.
    I found it dragged a bit in the middle, and it probably suffered from me having just seen Nightmare Alley which I thought was brilliant. If you liked Crouching Tiger I'm sure you would give this a higher rating than I have, so don't let me put you off too much, make up your own mind.
    I'm glad I went on a cheap night though
  • Sponsored links:

• Dont bother with Uncharted. What a load of shite.
    Caught it with my daughter - she'd already seen it. The upside was I got some father/daughter time in, which was great. The downside was Uncharted. Really dumb film. The game was much better.
    Sort of similar experience for me. Watched it as a family, which I consider to be a result as my daughter is of the age where she doesn’t really want to do anything with us.
    The difference for me is I didn’t mind the film actually. Yes, it was totally stupid and laughably unbelievable, but we found it pretty harmless fun. We were all laughing at various points (often at how ludicrous it was, rather than the intentional comedy). Never going to win any awards, but it was ok as long as you don’t take it too seriously.
    I agree the game is vastly superior though. Some storylines and liberties with reality just work better in a game context I guess?
  • Watched the new Doctor Strange film the other night. Think Marvel films are on a bit of a downward slope since the last Avengers one as (Spiderman aside) this film and most of the other new ones haven't been very good. 
  • Not new but I've only just watched it. 

CODA

what a lovely well made film 8/10

• I've just watched 'A Million Little Pieces'.
    I couldn't help imagining myself in that place with other Lifers, desperately helping each other get off this site.
  • Maverick
    Brilliant
    Just fun
    I waited nearly 3 years for the bastard
    And it delivers
    Go see!
  • supaclive said:
    Maverick
    Brilliant
    Just fun
    And it delivers
    Go see!
    Good stuff, five of us going to see if tomorrow 
  • edited May 2022
    Yep another thumbs up for top gun 2, much better than the first one, a nod to the past but not too much gushy stuff, flight scenes were unreal, best plane movie I’ve seen.
  • supaclive said:
    Maverick
    Brilliant
    Just fun
    And it delivers
    Go see!
    I know the reviews are good but I thought it was one of the worst films I’ve ever seen - corny in the extreme, often ridiculous, ‘humour’ forced and absolutely none of the charm of the first one. Cynical money spinner IMHO.
  • supaclive said:
    Maverick
    Brilliant
    Just fun
    And it delivers
    Go see!
    I know the reviews are good but I thought it was one of the worst films I’ve ever seen - corny in the extreme, often ridiculous, ‘humour’ forced and absolutely none of the charm of the first one. Cynical money spinner IMHO.
    Cinema should sometimes just be pure fun
    And that's what Maverick is, in my humble opinion
  • supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Maverick
    Brilliant
    Just fun
    And it delivers
    Go see!
    Cinema should sometimes just be pure fun
    And that's what Maverick is, in my humble opinion
    Each to their own I suppose