Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Racism At The Valley

Comments

• Options
    As an irish decent catholic, there was loads of guff being chanted at leyton orient back at the start of the season, certain groups of 'fans' singing no surrender... ffs... they obviuously don't read or watch the news that the ira no longer exisits.. might as well be chanting no surrender to the bloody romans... I have an irish flag with cafc on it but have never taken it to a game, might start doing it for the future eire number 1.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Back in the 70's i believe we had links with BNP
    That's quite a serious allegation Rupert, where did you hear that?

Yea i read it in a book Terrace Legends (so to be fair its probably ball) by Cass Pennent and it was our representative in there a bloke called "Lyons" said we did in the 70's but as i say its probably ball i hope it is anyway.

Maybe an old urban legend but wasnt we the last london club to have a black player, hence the BNP linking themselves with us.

Got to admit if I heard someone chanting BNP in this day and age I would think 'pratt' surely they must have been youngsters or donuts.

Yea there were a few small minded twats chanting BNP at Gills away and i just thought oh Dear mind yoou thats what i get for getting the train and not driving to football.
  • Options
    Can't believe somebody said ignore it! This sort of stuff is like a cancer, if it's not addressed it will grow. These groups are always testing the water looking for a foothold. Usually hear it during economic downturns when times are tough, scapegoats are needed. If we ignore it what will the Valley be like for our kids?? We did have a bad rep back in 70/80s, treatment of black players like Ian Wright/Finnigan for palace was shameful. I have heard a few comments over the years but thankfully these have been shouted down by the majority, so I'm sad to hear that these morons went almost unchallenged. Good you didn't confront the guys, but please do take it up with club/police. Use correct channels. The club has been held up as a shining example of a community club since the return to valley. This is part of why I feel proud to be a Charlton fan (even after bad results) . We can't allow that hard work to go to waste.
  • Options
    Didn't West Brom used to put up an array of different flags at their games?
  • Options
    might as well be chanting no surrender to the bloody romans...

Bit out of order Adam, the guy that started this thread is half Italian ;-)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    Disgraceful behaviour, end of, not acceptable anywhere, can we get these morons removed from society let alone the ground.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]Here

television gold.
  • Options
    Every club has their element. Have heard any number of comments in recent years at the Valley (and Bradford away way back when was truly awful).

This is how completely idiotic these people are though...

A bloke who sat in front of me for quite a few games was very vocal on such things. Scottish, Irish, Danish, Jamaican it honestly didn't matter.You'd think it would be difficult to be so against white American's but he tried his best after an incident in the news whereby a few of our lads in Iraq had been killed in a friendly fire incident.

"Friedel, why don't you just f**k off and die you blue on blue loving c**t".

How on earth can you even try to reason with someone like that????
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    When we played Man Utd in 2003, I was a ball boy just infront of the North Stand and heard some idiot shout something at Tim Howard about 9/11. Disgraceful but fair play to Howard for not retaliating as it was not pleasant.

Aside from this, have only heard a few people go near the mark rather than out and out racism. Sure it does happen but we are not Milwall so fortunatly it seems to be restricted to one or two idiots rather than a whole stand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bermuda_red[/cite]Can't believe somebody said ignore it! This sort of stuff is like a cancer, if it's not addressed it will grow. These groups are always testing the water looking for a foothold. Usually hear it during economic downturns when times are tough, scapegoats are needed. If we ignore it what will the Valley be like for our kids?? We did have a bad rep back in 70/80s, treatment of black players like Ian Wright/Finnigan for palace was shameful. I have heard a few comments over the years but thankfully these have been shouted down by the majority, so I'm sad to hear that these morons went almost unchallenged. Good you didn't confront the guys, but please do take it up with club/police. Use correct channels. The club has been held up as a shining example of a community club since the return to valley. This is part of why I feel proud to be a Charlton fan (even after bad results) . We can't allow that hard work to go to waste.

What he said. They should be identified, warned and ejected, and if they persist with being so bloody obnoxious, they should be banned.
  • Options
    I wouldn't have a problem with a Jamacian flag being on show at Charlton. Too me it's obviously in support of Burton. And if I had noticed it I would of cheered it! But lets be realistic, racism is still common in society and present at footy matches. How many of you who have commented in disgust to this post have ever taken the pi*ss out of a player during the match? You fat bastard to Nicky Weaver, John Parkin etc? Or how many of you have told a joke about the Irish? Obviously not as serious as a racial attack, but still discrimination. I'm a believer of freedom of speach and I believe in individualism. People are who they are, you can't change that. I don't condone it but it's life.
  • Options
    agim... what? discrimination is life?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: agim[/cite]I wouldn't have a problem with a Jamacian flag being on show at Charlton. Too me it's obviously in support of Burton. And if I had noticed it I would of cheered it! But lets be realistic, racism is still common in society and present at footy matches. How many of you who have commented in disgust to this post have ever taken the pi*ss out of a player during the match? You fat bastard to Nicky Weaver, John Parkin etc? Or how many of you have told a joke about the Irish? Obviously not as serious as a racial attack, but still discrimination. I'm a believer of freedom of speach and I believe in individualism. People are who they are, you can't change that. I don't condone it but it's life.

Just wondered, out of interest, if the English are joked about in the same vein as the Irish jokes. I imagine there's a few of those down in Oz. I wouldn't take offence though, theres' no hatred and its more banter imo.
  • Options
    i think what hes saying is there is nothing you can do about it and it will always be there. However i think a bit of common sense needs to be used here. The Irish and English have had banter with eachother for years as have many other nations and most of the time that is taken i jest. I have been in bars and had slaggin matches with Irish, Scots, French and the like but it has always ended with one of us buying the other a drink and has never been takes as anything but a joke. When you start on people because of the colour of their skin it opens up a new can of worms and not a nice one.

However agim having ago at someone for being fat is allot more aceptable than taking the piss out of someone for skin colour. Skin colour you cannot change weight you can change.
  • Options
    Lets get this sunk,

IMO there is a larger element (not all obviously) of black youth who are more racist than white people, i bring my kids up correct but I still believe there is an element of other minorities who are still blaming mine and my kids generation for what went on in the 70s/80s I believ we as white people are being branded for what went on fckin years ago, slave trade, Brixton Riots, Stop ans search couldnt give a f... doesnt affect people nowadays so lets move on for christ sake.

It IS only a minority of white people who are racist nowadays, and if this number is greater than racists towards white people I will eat my hat.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]Lets get this sunk,

IMO there is a larger element (not all obviously) of black youth who are more racist than white people, i bring my kids up correct but I still believe there is an element of other minorities who are still blaming mine and my kids generation for what went on in the 70s/80s I believ we as white people are being branded for what went on fckin years ago, slave trade, Brixton Riots, Stop ans search couldnt give a f... doesnt affect people nowadays so lets move on for christ sake.

It IS only a minority of white people who are racist nowadays, and if this number is greater than racists towards white people I will eat my hat.

that should do it
  • Options
    Jamaica flag was put up behind the goal at Swindon and I noticed Deon saw it, acknowledged it and seemed to be loving it! Wonder what he would think of these so called fans that support the club he plays for. We really do have some low life supporters. Every club has a few. (except millwall, where being a low life is a way of life!)
  • Options
    Racism full stop should not be condoned at the Valley regardless of the race of the person being racist.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]Lets get this sunk,

F*** me sideways that is a stupid post. A stupid, ignorant, stupid, moronic, stupid post.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    honest question leroy,why?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]honest question leroy,why?
    Because it's saying that black people are more racist than white people. They're not. The same minority of fuckwits are racist in every culture. Just because one person's narrow-mindededness blots out the racism in their own culture doesn't mean it isn't there. I've got loads of white mates, loads of black mates, loads of asian mates. Guess which ones are more predisposed to making off the cuff racist remarks? Does that mean that we now have to take my experience as gospel, and that more whites are racist than blacks? Of course it f***ing well doesn't - it just means that that's MY personal experience. Unless, of course, we all live in a tiny little bubble called 'CharltonParkLaneWorld' where it's HIS experience and HIS opinion that counts and no-one else's.

The post was a pathetic attempt to stir up a row - and happens Every. Single. Time that a post like this crops up on here. It's pathetic, juvenille behaviour and I shouldn't rise to it - but I can't help it. Fuckwittedness needs to be pointed out for what it is.
  • Options
    ok just wanted your take on it,i sadly sometimes also get blinded with certain situations i see in my own life and make rash judgements.
  • Options
    There are groups of racists at the Valley as there are at every football match. Chris Powell helped start the 'Kick it out' campaign and he with his pride and passion for our club as well as the game itself deserves the respect of our supporters to keep this campaign going; Kick Racism out of Football!! I don't think there is any need to call anyone small minded as there is no need to be small minded on this issue. The issue of racism was serious enough for the campaign to start in the first place and for the very reason of this thread starting it obviously is still a problem.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I agree - I find the post by Charltonparklane offensive in the extreme. Well done Leroy for standing up to it.

Intersting point raised way back in this thread - were CAFC really the last London club to sign a player of Afro-Carribean ethnicity? I'm trying to think who our first one was. Anybody got any answers?

I'm guessing it may have been the original Leroy Ambrose or Phil Walker. As that must have been early 80s, it seems perfectly possible we were indeed the last club.

I do remember looking at the squad photo for the Full Members Cup Final at Wembley as late as 1987 and thinking it was surprising that all 16 players (or however many it was ) were white.

It was immediately after that that Lennie brought in Crooks as our wise old head and Mortimer, Leaburn, Bennett and Paul Williams came through - so a season later our squad photo looked very different.

I also recall circa 1988 that my son Adam was profiled in the Junior Reds magazine. One of the standard questions was ''Who's your favourite player?'' And he answered : ''All our young black players, Mortimer, Leaburn, Bennett and Williams.''

It was an amazing answer for a 10/11 year old white kid to give at the height of Thatcherism and I remain so proud of him for it to this day...

(He's kept that attitude up, by the way, and is now married to a Somalian girl and they're about to deliver me an half-African grandchild (my first) - which makes an old man even prouder!)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite](He's kept that attitude up, by the way, and is now married to a Somalian girl and they're about to deliver me an half-African grandchild (my first) - which makes an old man even prouder!)
    congratulations
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I used to live in Slovenia and have visited most of the former Yugoslav countries. On one occasion I brought my Slovenian girlfriend back to the UK for a few weeks. Here in Tottenham we have a very varied mix of different races and cultures, and this makes it a great place to live in IMO. On returning home all my girlfried could talk about was how wonderful it was that there seemed to be no annomosity between the different cultures and that the majority of people that she met were proud to live here and call themselves British. On the second night home she broke down in tears, which was not a thing she was prone to do. When I asked her what was wrong, all she said was "Why cant we (meaning Yugoslavs) be like the British" I've travelled to more than 30 countries and believe you me, we have very little racism problems compared with other countries. Embrace and enjoy because in the end people are all we have.
  • Options
    No doubt i'll get ripped up, but here i go anyway.
    Charlton is an English football club in England. Why not take an English flag to the game? Why take a Jamaican flag? If you're a big fan of Burton, put his name on it.
    Better still take a Charlton flag.
    Deon Burton is Jamaican in the same way my neighbours are Irish. They have historic/family connections. But they all CHOOSE to live in England. Let's celebrate our English identity not everyone else's.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]No doubt i'll get ripped up, but here i go anyway.
    Charlton is an English football club in England. Why not take an English flag to the game? Why take a Jamaican flag? If you're a big fan of Burton, put his name on it.
    Better still take a Charlton flag.
    Deon Burton is Jamaican in the same way my neighbours are Irish. They have historic/family connections. But they all CHOOSE to live in England. Let's celebrate our English identity not everyone else's.
    even if people agree with that, which I doubt. There is still no need for Racists chants just because of a foriegn flag, it's disgusting! and sorry but should we tell Burton to go home if he doesn't like racism as it is his choice to be here?? oh please! he has chosen to be 'staying' not 'living' in England to play for our football club I am proud of that and those that want to show him respect of waving his nations flag to remind him of the friends and family he is missing to do us the honour to play for us, were obviously proud of that too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Skin colour you cannot change weight you can change.
    Except for Michael Jackson, who managed both.
    [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]I agree - I find the post by Charltonparklane offensive in the extreme.)
    I don't. Then again you probably don't have the pleasure of having friends (with whom you visit) who live on Connaught Estate (Woolwich). I think all are as bad as each other.