Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Racism At The Valley

Comments

• Options
    Steve Stacey is the first Charlton black player I am aware of and he played one game (scoring too if I remember rightly) in 1969 or 1970. After him came Leroy Ambrose, Phil Walker etc as mentioned above.

Deon Burton was actually born in Reading according to a programme earlierthis season but has a dual qualification to play for Jamaica via one of his parents (father I think).

Leroy has it right. Racism exists within people from all ethnic backgrounds and is wrong whoever perpetuates it. If CharltonParklane has experienced black on white racism then he is as entitled to express condemnation of that as any black person facing white on black racism in my opinion.

Both scenarios are equally repugnant.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]No doubt i'll get ripped up, but here i go anyway.
    Charlton is an English football club in England. Why not take an English flag to the game? Why take a Jamaican flag? If you're a big fan of Burton, put his name on it.
    Better still take a Charlton flag.
    Deon Burton is Jamaican in the same way my neighbours are Irish. They have historic/family connections. But they all CHOOSE to live in England. Let's celebrate our English identity not everyone else's.

He choose to live in England, or more likely, his family because they can get a better standard of life by living here. It makes me proud that people want to live in this country because we have so much more to offer than others. In the same way Burton has a lot to offer to us, and he plays in this country because this is the best standard of football he can play at, so we can give something back by flying his nations flag. To me putting up the Jamaican flag was a brilliant idea. Brings a bit of colour to the ground, celebrates one of our best players heritage & is a bit of fun not doing any harm to anyone!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]honest question leroy,why?[/quote]
    Because it's saying that black people are more racist than white people. They're not. The same minority of fuckwits are racist in every culture. Just because one person's narrow-mindededness blots out the racism in their own culture doesn't mean it isn't there. I've got loads of white mates, loads of black mates, loads of asian mates. Guess which ones are more predisposed to making off the cuff racist remarks? Does that mean that we now have to take my experience as gospel, and that more whites are racist than blacks? Of course it f***ing well doesn't - it just means that that's MY personal experience. Unless, of course, we all live in a tiny little bubble called 'CharltonParkLaneWorld' where it's HIS experience and HIS opinion that counts and no-one else's.

The post was a pathetic attempt to stir up a row - and happens Every. Single. Time that a post like this crops up on here. It's pathetic, juvenille behaviour and I shouldn't rise to it - but I can't help it. Fuckwittedness needs to be pointed out for what it is.[/quote]

fck you, pressume you know a lot of what happens on the street for 16 - 21 year olds

It is an opinion, you have me marked down as a white extremist, ' I've got loads of white mates, loads of black mates, loads of asian mates'
    so have I but i dont regard them as Black, Asian, there just mates.
    I'm not delving in any further but fuckwittedness, ignorant, stupid, moronic is a bit of a charchter assassination mate, I do have my own opinions and i have them from experience not just saying it for the sake, as I said, I dont need to be reminded of what my ancestors have done in the past, this is today and it is even a different world for racism from even 15/20 years ago let alone 200 years ago, I'm not racist and dont want to be regarded as one.
    I am politically correct, and get sick of the amount of time I have to correct parents, coaches, scouts, etc from using the phrase half cast, that is ignorance.
    I have a 'white' lad at football who just cannot pronounce another 'black' kids name (data protection gone mad), he calls him Albert, he got cornered by three of his mates for being a racist, that is Moronic.
    Again, another 'opinion' , do you know, fck it cant be bothered

I'm going back in my bubble and have a few bottles of Red Stripe, maybe your the one in a bubble, just out of curiousness, where do you live?
  • Options
    Charlton is an English football club in England. Why not take an English flag to the game? Why take a Jamaican flag? If you're a big fan of Burton, put his name on it.
    Deon Burton is Jamaican in the same way my neighbours are Irish. They have historic/family connections. But they all CHOOSE to live in England. Let's celebrate our English identity not everyone else's.

But isn't our English identity multicultural? What defines someone as English? Would it be Anglo-Saxon? Cos I thought they were a bunch of invaders? Roman (whose army was picked from across the empire)? Or maybe Celts, who I believe originated in Switzerland, and after settleing here displaced the other occupants.

My kids born in London, growing up in Spain. I will always support England, my kids will support both England and Spain. If (not much chance) they get to play for Madrid, I would love it if the madridsta waved a great big english flag with my kids surname on it, a name that is neither english nor spanish in origin.
  • Options
    Farmer: So I hear your a racist now, father. Should we all be rascist now, what is the church's position on the old racism? See with the farm and everything I might not be able to devote to much time to the racisms in the evenings I like a sit down and a nice cup of tea.

Woman: good for you, good for you, coming over here stealing our jobs stealing our women. Fecking Greeks

Farmer: its not the greeks he's after its the chinese.

Woman: I don't care as long as I get a go at the feckin' greeks. THEY INVENTED GAYNESS.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]

But isn't our English identity multicultural? What defines someone as English? Would it be Anglo-Saxon? Cos I thought they were a bunch of invaders? Roman (whose army was picked from across the empire)? Or maybe Celts, who I believe originated in Switzerland, and after settleing here displaced the other occupants.

My kids born in London, growing up in Spain. I will always support England, my kids will support both England and Spain. If (not much chance) they get to play for Madrid, I would love it if the madridsta waved a great big english flag with my kids surname on it, a name that is neither english nor spanish in origin.

But typically you fall into the trap!
    I mention England/English you go into an ethnicity examination.
    The English are the people who live (legally) in England whether born here or have arrived here. It's called civil Englishness. All i ask is that if you, of your own free will, live here in England. Then support England, identify with England.
    Multiculturism is a failed left-wing dogma that even some of those who have promoted it for years, now call it a failure.
  • Options
    Daggs; do you condone racist chants?
  • Options
    what a silly question
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]

The English are the people who live (legally) in England whether born here or have arrived here. It's called civil Englishness. All i ask is that if you, of your own free will, live here in England. Then support England, identify with England.
    Multiculturism is a failed left-wing dogma that even some of those who have promoted it for years, now call it a failure.

As an Englishman living and working in Canada, do I abandon my English heritage stretching back many countless generations & support everything Canadian. Who should I support in the upcoming World Cup?
  • Options

Why is it a failure?

If you knew anything of Englishness then you'll know that the English are a mongrel breed - Jutes, Saxons, Angles, Hugenoets, Celts, Normans, Irish, Jews, protestants, catholics etc. This is reflected in our language, our culture, traditions and heritage.

Multi-culturalism has worked exceptionally well in England and a lot better than in many other nations, a failure it hasn't been.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So I should give up supporting England and now support Spain? Like wise my kids can abandon their roots and become full blown spaniards? I think your answer is far to simplistic, and sounds a bit like the Tebit test. As for traps, I,m not in the habit of laying them or avoiding them I'm afraid.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Answer to SadieJane

I never even mentioned the alleged racist chants. But No! i don't condone them. Nor do i condone calling people (even those playing football in front of me) any unpleasant names. And in the past on this site when i criticed someone, who was proud to tell us all the vile things he shouted at the oppposition. I was slagged off.
    I don't call people names, i don't consider any insult to be o/k, except racist insults. They are all insults.
    The point i'm trying to make is, this is England. Celebrate England.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]what a silly question

why is it? I was simply asking as he seems to be defending the behaviour and condemning the flying of another national flag. So was just asking if he condones those racist chants.
  • Options
    stop stirring go listen to the game
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]I never even mentioned the alleged racist chants. But No! i don't condone them. Nor do i condone calling people (even those playing football in front of me) any unpleasant names. And in the past on this site when i criticed someone, who was proud to tell us all the vile things he shouted at the oppposition. I was slagged off.
    I don't call people names, i don't consider any insult to be o/k, except racist insults. They are all insults.

people don't suddenly become English just because they work here and shouldn't be expected to forget their roots or their ancestors just because they choose to play football for an English team. I say we are all one world so we should celebrate the world, every corner of it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]I never even mentioned the alleged racist chants. But No! i don't condone them. Nor do i condone calling people (even those playing football in front of me) any unpleasant names. And in the past on this site when i criticed someone, who was proud to tell us all the vile things he shouted at the oppposition. I was slagged off.

And Englishness is what? To me it's an inclusive thing, not an exclusive thing. I quite like the idea of a Jamaican flag being flown for Burton, or a Guadaloupe one for Racon, or a Portuguese one for Semedo etc. That reflects the fact that we appreciate players of different races and nationalities.

In any case if you want to support Englishness to exclusion of all else then why follow Charlton who have a team with at least four/five different nationalities in it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Multiculturism is a failed left-wing dogma that even some of those who have promoted it for years, now call it a failure.

Why is it a failure?

If you knew anything of Englishness then you'll know that the English are a mongrel breed - Jutes, Saxons, Angles, Hugenoets, Celts, Normans, Irish, Jews, protestants, catholics etc. This is reflected in our language, our culture, traditions and heritage.

Multi-culturalism has worked exceptionally well in England and a lot better than in many other nations, a failure it hasn't been.

There were about 50 victims of multiculturism on those London Tube trains and a bus.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Multiculturism is a failed left-wing dogma that even some of those who have promoted it for years, now call it a failure.

Why is it a failure?

There were about 50 victims of multiculturism on those London Tube trains and a bus.

do not say we should all give up being a multi-cultural society because of a vile act of terrorism.
  • Options
    There's none so self-loathing as the modern young English................
  • Options

So the London bombings were a direct result of a "multicultural" policy? Based on the criminal acts of a very small group of criminally insane idiots is that really enough to draw the conclusion that multi-culturalism doesn't work? Presumably all immigrants and residents of England alike should follow a strict Anglo-saxon prescribed culture? And if so who is going to determine what is and isn't acceptable?

I also remember the suicide note of one of the bombers talk about the part that Britain played in the Iraq war - around one million deaths later and a destroyed nation, weren't Bush and Blair, the main architects avowed christians. On that basis should I draw the conclusion that all christians are neo-con imperialists who invade other nations?

Anyway let me know the next time you eat a curry, doner kebab, paella or a pizza, or listen to blues based rock, or drive a car made in Japan, or watch a television made in Korea, for you too will be falling to the dreaded disease of "multi-culturalism". The rest of us will happilt immerse ourselves in a cultural melting pot and enjoy the diversity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just because i hold a pro-English opinion does not mean i support Bliar's criminal acts. On the contrary.
    Also do not include me in christianity, nor any other religous mumbo-jumbo.
    And you too have fallen into the ethnicity debate. I speak only of civil Englishness.
  • Options
    What BFR said.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]There were about 50 victims of multiculturism on those London Tube trains and a bus.
    The rest of us will happilt immerse ourselves in a cultural melting pot and enjoy the diversity.[/quote]

My point from my first point, get on with your fckin life and stop thinking the world owes you a favour because of the past. (For the PC brigade, this isnt aimed at everyone, only the people who whinge piss and moan about how 'bad' white people WERE.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]Just because i hold a pro-English opinion does not mean i support Bliar's criminal acts. On the contrary.
    Also do not include me in christianity, nor any other religous mumbo-jumbo.
    And you too have fallen into the ethnicity debate. I speak only of civil Englishness.

next you'll be saying 'vote BNP' think you should quit whilst you're behind. and cheer on our multi-cultural football team, they need it right now :(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]There were about 50 victims of multiculturism on those London Tube trains and a bus.
    The rest of us will happilt immerse ourselves in a cultural melting pot and enjoy the diversity.

My point from my first point, get on with your fckin life and stop thinking the world owes you a favour because of the past. (For the PC brigade, this isnt aimed at everyone, only the people who whinge piss and moan about how 'bad' white people WERE.

Where did I say "white people were bad" rather I was responding to a point that says that non-white people (or people from a non-caucasian culture) are not inherently wrong.

Britain has a tradition of assimilating different cultures, classes and creeds and by and large doing it successfully. That surely is a strength of the civil Englishness that is at the core of our nature, well for most of us it is.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    For Sadie again
    you see, you just can't understand how someone can be pro-English and yet non-racist.
    You've been brainwashed into thinking all English = bad. All other cultures/nationalities = good.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]There were about 50 victims of multiculturism on those London Tube trains and a bus.
    The rest of us will happilt immerse ourselves in a cultural melting pot and enjoy the diversity.[/quote]

My point from my first point, get on with your fckin life and stop thinking the world owes you a favour because of the past. (For the PC brigade, this isnt aimed at everyone, only the people who whinge piss and moan about how 'bad' white people WERE.[/quote]

Where did I say "white people were bad" rather I was responding to a point that says that non-white people (or people from a non-caucasian culture) are not inherently wrong.

Britain has a tradition of assimilating different cultures, classes and creeds and by and large doing it successfully. That surely is a strength of the civil Englishness that is at the core of our nature, well for most of us it is.[/quote]

Not aimed at you mate, just what I was getting at in my first post before I got shot down
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]You see, you just can't understand how someone can be pro-English and yet non-racist.
    You've been brainwashed into thinking all English = bad. All other cultures/nationalities = good.

I see it as most English = good, most other countries/nationalities = good - do you? If so, no problems & we can all move along.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]For Sadie again
    you see, you just can't understand how someone can be pro-English and yet non-racist.

Daggs, where has Sadie said or even implied that all English = bad? I have read back through all her posts and can't see it anywhere.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]You see, you just can't understand how someone can be pro-English and yet non-racist.

I see it as most English = good, most other countries/nationalities = good - do you? If so, no problems & we can all move along.

Yes that is how i see it. But when i promote Englishness it's met with innacurate accusations of racism. The sad thing being most of the accusers are English themselves............brainwashed.