Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

See ya Gordon

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Er, alternatives are?

Up to the Liberals. Labour are clearly not ready to govern.
    The way the Liberals are hawking their mutton around the political playground is disgraceful...

They're like a bunch of schoolkids that don't know what sweet to eat to make themselves sick first...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Er, what exactly are they doing wrong? They didn't write the parliamentary constitution. They gave the conservatives the chance to speak to the liberals, which they did, and there doesn't appear to have been a deal done. Labour's fault? If there was a deal, your beloved Cameron would now be prime minister. But there isn't a deal. So now Labour are talking to the Liberals.

We do have to have a government you know.

Just add to that: keeping Brown in the meantime until another unelected candidate is trotted out.National interest??

About as stable as an ikea bookshelf.

Clegg said that Brown would have to go before a Lab-Lib deal could be done so now Brown has gone....and people are still complaining!!!

And you know why? because there is a very real possibility that somebody like Harriet Harman could be running the country in a few weeks.God help all of us.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Er, what exactly are they doing wrong? They didn't write the parliamentary constitution. They gave the conservatives the chance to speak to the liberals, which they did, and there doesn't appear to have been a deal done. Labour's fault? If there was a deal, your beloved Cameron would now be prime minister. But there isn't a deal. So now Labour are talking to the Liberals.

Just add to that: keeping Brown in the meantime until another unelected candidate is trotted out.National interest??

Clegg said that Brown would have to go before a Lab-Lib deal could be done so now Brown has gone....and people are still complaining!!!

And you know why? because there is a very real possibility that somebody like Harriet Harman could be running the country in a few weeks.God help all of us.
    Tuck it in will ya, fer fucks sake?

It's starting to get boring now.
  • Options
    Again, that's Labour's fault is it? The public voted for this. The consitution is what it is.

They can't just hand the country over to someone else, seeing as the Conservatives can't make a deal with the liberals and didn't win enough seats to govern on their own.

I really can't fathom what you would have them do in a realistic world? I'm sorry but you're pretty much talking nonsense at the moment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Again, that's Labour's fault is it? The public voted for this. The consitution is what it is.

They can't just hand the country over to someone else, seeing as the Conservatives can't make a deal with the liberals and didn't win enough seats to govern on their own.

I really can't fathom what you would have them do in a realistic world? I'm sorry but you're pretty much talking nonsense at the moment.

If there is no deal with the tories then that is because Cameron is at least trying to toe the line with his manifesto.Labour tore theirs up about 3am on Friday.As i said before.Power bloody crazy.
    I'd let them get on with it,it's just i've got to live with it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Er, what exactly are they doing wrong? They didn't write the parliamentary constitution. They gave the conservatives the chance to speak to the liberals, which they did, and there doesn't appear to have been a deal done. Labour's fault? If there was a deal, your beloved Cameron would now be prime minister. But there isn't a deal. So now Labour are talking to the Liberals.

Do apologise.Thought you were all in bed.Been watching lost Leroy?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Er, what exactly are they doing wrong? They didn't write the parliamentary constitution. They gave the conservatives the chance to speak to the liberals, which they did, and there doesn't appear to have been a deal done. Labour's fault? If there was a deal, your beloved Cameron would now be prime minister. But there isn't a deal. So now Labour are talking to the Liberals.

Haha - excellent comeback :o)

Nah - it's not on until tomorrow. A damn sight more interesting than all this bollocks though :o)
  • Options

Nah - it's not on until tomorrow. A damn sight more interesting than all this bollocks though :o)

How the hell did they not score there Leroy? Screw the election, what a load of old cobblers.
  • Options
    Well, they just scored anyway - Tanger with a squeaker that Halak should have kept out. These pesky Habs are proving tough to shake...

I fear the nucks are done - but would be fantastic to see them come back.
  • Options
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]

Agreed.Made a bit of a schoolboy error on the lost front.Booked up ages ago to go away.I'm only gonna miss the last two bloody episodes!.........oh.and the playoff final.............but screw that.I need to know.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's what torrents were invented for Carly
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Again, that's Labour's fault is it? The public voted for this. The consitution is what it is.

If there is no deal with the tories then that is because Cameron is at least trying to toe the line with his manifesto.Labour tore theirs up about 3am on Friday.As i said before.Power bloody crazy.

The Tories are keeping their manifesto promises are they?

That's interesting, I can't find anything in their manifesto about having a referendum on the introduction of AV voting?

Maybe the Tories are not quite so principled after all.
  • Options

That's interesting, I can't find anything in their manifesto about having a referendum on the introduction of AV voting?

Oi - stop hijacking this thread. It's about ice hockey and Lost. Keep it on topic please :o)
  • Options
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Again, that's Labour's fault is it? The public voted for this. The consitution is what it is.

Oh bore off ! ;-)
  • Options
    This thread aint done with us yet.
  • Options
    Yeah - and in the flash-sideways world the Canadiens haven't just scored twice against the Pens in three minutes to go in front...
  • Options
    By the way, Harman isn't contesting the leadership. So you can sleep safe.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]By the way, Harman isn't contesting the leadership. So you can sleep safe.
    Suuuuure. And the giant foot isn't at the bottom of the ocean...
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Apparently she found a hatch, and she's now set on investigating it for 6 episodes. Until she finds another hatch.

There's also the fact that she got on a plane the other day, only to find that it was 1963.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    1976. And there's only one hatch. Go Pens.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heheheh
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The politicians have all time-shifted back to 1974, while the rest of us are stuck on an strange island where no-one knows what the **** is going on...
    Electoral reform? HELL yes!
  • Options
    AV was in the Labour manifesto. The second Brown announced he would stand down as leader the Tories offered Libs AV referendum. Who's power mad?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]AV was in the Labour manifesto. The second Brown announced he would stand down as leader the Tories offered Libs AV referendum. Who's power mad?

referendum
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: johnny73[/cite]more people voted for Lab and Lib combined than the tories. So i have no problem with a coalition...

Well if you're going down that line, would you also agree that even more people voted for the Tories and Lib Dems than Labour? Just a thought like...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: johnny73[/cite]more people voted for Lab and Lib combined than the tories. So i have no problem with a coalition...

Well if you're going down that line, would you also agree that even more people voted for the Tories and Lib Dems than Labour? Just a thought like...

That is true and is why Clegg spoke first to the Tories - and they could not agree on a deal so he is now talking to Labour.

If the Tories want to form the next government all they need to do is to agree on a deal for AV and then look at PR, if they don't then they won't take office, its up to them.

We all know the numbers, nobody won a majority, so in order to get to that majority people will have to make compromises and it will depend on how many compromises you feel you are prepared to make.

In the long run Cameron might be best suited by a Lab-Lib-Nats deal and the to sit back and play the wronged hero and wait for the fragile coalition to fall.

His problem is that he said some really stupid things in the campaign about cutting the MP's in the HP by 10% - 65 seats - which makes the Labour lot - from whom he would try to take those seats by re-districting - all the more desperate to hold on to power.
  • Options
    Time for the tories to sit back and let the Tom,dick and Harrys get on with it.I'm sure they've got the countries best interests at heart. ;-)
  • Options
    FAO Falconwood_1

FYI Gordon Brown is now technically 'elected'..

:) drop me your email dude need to run something past you
  • Options
    Your not going to get PR, you'll get AV, which is just a more legitamate FPTP system. If you then add a list system like in London elections, you may get a bit more proportionality, but not much. FPTP doesn't produce strong governments all the time, it produces absoulte power, with a minority vote.

I don't think the LDs should be doing a deal with Labour, but Clegg probably felt like he needed to push the point with the Tories. A Lib/Lab deal will end up with the Nationalist being paid off at vote. Think we'll get a Tory minority, but with the LDs supplying the votes to get them through the budget, Queens speech and Votes of Confidence.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    If you want true PR (seats as closely reflect actual votes) I like the top up system.

You add to your total MP's either with votes or actual MPs from a list, that way you keep the link between constituencies - sure you would get some cronies but not as many as a straight list system - to some extent you get his anyway with the safe seat scenario - and MP's still have to stand for a competitive election as now. This would keep the extreme right out as well as you would have to gain at least one seat to qualify.

Personally I think its more likely to lead to a complete mess, no overall majority with minor parties having far more power than they deserve - which is far less likely under the first past the post. But maybe it is time for a change.