Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

See ya Gordon

1235»

Comments

• Options
    STV is still my preferred option
  • Options
    I don't understand politics! We all get 1 vote (well those who are able to vote), you place your vote & whoever gets the most votes win & form government. Tories won and have a majority over everyone else, so why aren't they in Government? - all this 326 seat majority confuses me!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WestStandCookie[/cite]I don't understand politics! We all get 1 vote (well those who are able to vote), you place your vote & whoever gets the most votes win & form government. Tories won and have a majority over everyone else, so why aren't they in Government? - all this 326 seat majority confuses me!

Hope this helps....

The Tories got more seats but because policies are voted by parliament in order to be turned into law that means nothing. For something to be passed by parliament you need more than half the MP's to vote in its favour (so half the MPs plus the 1 required to make it above half = 326). At the moment the Conservatives don't have this and so most of the laws they propose will be rejected by more than half the MPs and so they can't be a practical government without the support of the Lib Dems which will put them above the 326 required......If the Lib Dems, Labour et al all join together then they will be above the 326 but will have so many different perogatives it's unlikely to be successful
  • Options
    Can't quote but after weeks of election coverage, a CL member has explained it to me so I understand!!!!
    Thanks matey!
  • Options
    On his way tomorrow?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: johnny73[/cite]more people voted for Lab and Lib combined than the tories. So i have no problem with a coalition...

Well if you're going down that line, would you also agree that even more people voted for the Tories and Lib Dems than Labour? Just a thought like...

That is true and is why Clegg spoke first to the Tories - and they could not agree on a deal so he is now talking to Labour.

If the Tories want to form the next government all they need to do is to agree on a deal for AV and then look at PR, if they don't then they won't take office, its up to them.

We all know the numbers, nobody won a majority, so in order to get to that majority people will have to make compromises and it will depend on how many compromises you feel you are prepared to make.

In the long run Cameron might be best suited by a Lab-Lib-Nats deal and the to sit back and play the wronged hero and wait for the fragile coalition to fall.

His problem is that he said some really stupid things in the campaign about cutting the MP's in the HP by 10% - 65 seats - which makes the Labour lot - from whom he would try to take those seats by re-districting - all the more desperate to hold on to power.

johnny73 - I've no problem with a Con / Lib coalition based on the percentage of the population who voted for them. The reality is I will not get what I want - true proportional representation - as to many Labour and Tory backbenchers want to keep their jobs. I get the feeling even if a referendum came out in favour of electoral reform it would not be passed by either house.