Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lloyd Sam is STAYING!

Comments

• Options
    Thanks to Mr Pardew, Racon only cost us £400k, remember.

As I suggested above, Racon is one of those players that makes a team greater than the sum of its parts.
    IMO.

Proof of the pudding and all that ......... it would be interesting to hear his team mates' opinions of how valuable he is to the team.

Maybe Uncle or someone who's had an inside ear within the club, can drop some clues ....?
  • Options
    Agree with Oggy, we improved with Racon in the side. Not saying he couldn't do more, but he's still a player I'd rather keep than lose and do any of us know if he was being told to play deeper or not? Parky certainly hinted at one point that he was being told to play defensively to try and free Bailey up to get forward more from the left.

If anyone got more credit than they deserved for long spells last season it was Bailey, imho.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Agree with Oggy, we improved with Racon in the side. Not saying he couldn't do more, but he's still a player I'd rather keep than lose and do any of us know if he was being told to play deeper or not? Parky certainly hinted at one point that he was being told to play defensively to try and free Bailey up to get forward more from the left.

If anyone got more credit than they deserved for long spells last season it was Bailey, imho.

I always agree with everything Oggy says ;-)
  • Options
    I love you Sam !! xx
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I love you Sam !! xx

Love you too Oggy !! xx
  • Options
    hardly biting our hands off for him........figures
  • Options
    Yes i know Bailey single handedly got us into the playoffs but i really do not think he would be a massive loss!Yes he is a passionate player with a hot head and whatever but i really think at times in some games he really does lose his rag and it affects his ability!He sulks like Beckford which at times made me sick!The way he would moan at the ref and not carry on playing the game and we would concede; it happened on more than one occasion.

May I just finish with saying, and it has been proven when you look at our results, we play best WITH Therry and Semedo in the middle!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Agree with Oggy, we improved with Racon in the side. Not saying he couldn't do more, but he's still a player I'd rather keep than lose and do any of us know if he was being told to play deeper or not? Parky certainly hinted at one point that he was being told to play defensively to try and free Bailey up to get forward more from the left.

True and that's the only way I can look at it and think Racon did fairly well. We probably aren't going to find much better either I suppose.

As you say though he could do more, and that's what the disappointment is for me.

What will be good next season is hopefully having a more balanced midfield. For half a season we were playing Bailey, Wagstaff or Shelvey down the left. At the start we found a way to fit four central midfielders into a five man midfield, which worked well for a while. Longer term we needed (and still need) more balance.
  • Options
    How anyone can suggest Bailey won't be a huge loss is beyond me. He did look average the last 6 or 7 games but over the past 2 seasons he's been awesome on every front.

I personally think Sam, Racon, Sodje, Bailey and Semedo are our best players and need priority contract talks. Wishful thinking :(
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Not saying that he didn't speak to you and say he's not staying, but...

He went on holiday straight after the end of the season and has only just got back (in fact to have been there he must have gone straight from the airport....)

But anyway, he has't had time to conclude his contract talks yet, or find a new club if they broke down, which means he's only saying this as he didn't want a earfull from a fan or it to get in the papers if he said he was going.

Sorry to rain on this parade, and doesn't mean he wont stay.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Waggy said yesterday that it took a long time to get Bailey of the pitch after the Swindon result (it took Semedo in the end to get him to get off) and he was silent in the changing rooms, got changed and didnt say a word. Then when they have been in training since it was all doom and gloom and he still wasn't his normal self and he is down from the result and penalty miss. Shows how much he cares!
  • Options
    baileys cares shame it dont rub off on some of the cowards who bottle tackles in a play off semi final.
  • Options
    I like Bailey a whole lot, and whilst after his debut at Watford I thought finally we have a player who can make a destructive tackle it didn't take long to notice that he's positionally eratic. That's part of the reason why he's scored so many goals for us, and part of the reason why he made Swindon's goal at the Valley. Hopefully if he goes we'll be able to get a player who is able to positionally dependable for 90% of the game.

Opposite thing goes for Sam. He needed to go off against Swindon as he was puffed, but Waggy came on and did quite well but went loose all over the right wing. Sam hadn't and we'd seen very little threat down his right side. Indeed J Jackson would provide more stability and more assists than Bailey, but less goals. Then it comes down to finding someone who can assist on the left, and hopefully score a little too.
  • Options
    This is good news. Also refreshing to see just how many people on here rate him.
  • Options
    I hope we keep Bailey AND Sam. Johnnie Jackson added to that midfield would be awesome also. One worry about not having found any investment yet is that one of the BIG things they were using as a selling point was the fact that the 2012 olympics were approaching. Once they have been and gone, it makes EVEN LESS attractive to foreign businessmen.
  • Options
    yeah but we are in the Thames Gateway don't ya know and they are building a trillion million homes and so we can't fail to benefit from that.
  • Options
    "Lloyd Sam is STAYING!"

Maybe not... http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11684_6228191,00.html
    Is it worrying being an out of contract player in the current climate or is that now part and parcel of a footballer's career?

I'm accepting it and getting on with it I suppose. I wouldn't say I'm out of contract right now, I've got prospects. I don't want it to sound like I'm out of contract and that's the end of it. Say it was in August and I was out of contract it would be a lot worse.

Is it something that needs to be addressed in the modern game, as more and more players are now out of contract?

There are a lot of players out of contract, because obviously the money situation in football is not like it used to be. There are a lot of players, it's difficult.

Do you have any idea as to the standard you are aiming at and what level you would like to play?

I've played Premiership already and I've played two seasons in the Championship and one in League One. Obviously the aim is to move forward, so hopefully back in the Championship next season.

Is your future at Charlton at an end? And how difficult was it losing in the play-offs last season?

It's not completely been ruled out me being at Charlton next season. Obviously it's heartbreaking to get that close, the play-off semi-final. It's a heartbreaking thing.

What do you feel you would offer prospective employers? What do you feel are your best attributes?

Probably my best attribute is setting up goals. Next season I hope to add a few more goals.

Would you be prepared to go on trial at a club to prove yourself?

That's a difficult one. It depends what kind of club it is, it depends on the stature of the club. I would definitely go on trial though and back my ability.
  • Options
    Says his best attribute is setting up goals???

Any of the statto's on here have the stats on his assists?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]Says his best attribute is setting up goals???

Player			Club				TOTAL
    Jon-Paul McGovern	Swindon Town			16
    Gary Roberts	 	Huddersfield			15
    Wesley Hoolahan	 	Norwich City			13
    Jason Puncheon	 	Southampton			13
    Richard Lambert	 	Southampton			12
    Elliott Bennett	 	Brighton			11
    Chris Hackett	 	Millwall			11
    Ryan Harley	 	Exeter City			11
    Grant Holt	 	Norwich City			11
    Anthony Pilkington	Huddersfield			10
    Simon Lappin	 	Norwich City			10
    Andrew Welsh	 	Yeovil Town			10
    [b]Lloyd Sam	 	Charlton			10
    Deon Burton	 	Charlton			10[/b]

• Options
    bet the offers are flying at him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]bet the offers are flying at him.

Is that sarcastic? i reckon he probably has got a few in the championship and more in our league, can see him going to someone like middlesborough
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]

Is that sarcastic? i reckon he probably has got a few in the championship and more in our league, can see him going to someone like middlesborough

Yes it is. I cant see any club in our league wanting to take on his wage demand and i dont think there are many teams in the league above who will think he can cut it at that level......especially if they have been watching him this year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]

Yes it is. I cant see any club in our league wanting to take on his wage demand and i dont think there are many teams in the league above who will think he can cut it at that level......especially if they have been watching him this year.

I doubt he would have a high wage demand, although only a guess. he doesn't seem like he will throw his toys out of the pram, the main thing is he is probably weighing up the options. the fact he said that hes not completely ruled out coming back to charlton shows that he wont have high wage demands(or maybe not many want him), i think he would suit someone like boro or even god forbid Palars
  • Options
    He won't be here next season.

His wage demands will be far in excess of anything we will be able to offer. He will also want more than a one year deal and that won't be forthcoming either.

Warnock has spoken highly of him in the past. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at QPR. Can't see him moving out of London.
  • Options
    Latest from Football Rumours on the subject

25 Jun 2010 13:12:19
    Lloyd Sam will be applying his silky skills on the wing at the New Den next year
  • Options
    Why do people always think Footballers are so against moving cities. With the money they earn the can relocate their entire familes should they so wish.
  • Options
    It's probably more of a London thing. I'd say people from the south east are much less likely to move somewhere else or not. I'm not taking a cheap shot at oop norf or anything, just an observation. I believe there's a high % of folk from London who tend to study in London. More so with work. I guess it's probably because of the economic situation (nobody from London moves to Barnsley to make their fortune, but I suppose with footballers it might well be that if the offer's right they'll make the move.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]Says his best attribute is setting up goals???

Player			Club				TOTAL
    Jon-Paul McGovern	Swindon Town			16
    Gary Roberts	 	Huddersfield			15
    Wesley Hoolahan	 	Norwich City			13
    Jason Puncheon	 	Southampton			13
    Richard Lambert	 	Southampton			12
    Elliott Bennett	 	Brighton			11
    Chris Hackett	 	Millwall			11
    Ryan Harley	 	Exeter City			11
    Grant Holt	 	Norwich City			11
    Anthony Pilkington	Huddersfield			10
    Simon Lappin	 	Norwich City			10
    Andrew Welsh	 	Yeovil Town			10
    [b]Lloyd Sam	 	Charlton			10
    Deon Burton	 	Charlton			10[/b]

Thanks WSS but what exactly do the numbers mean?? they look more like goals than assists and we know that is not true, also whatever they represent it cannot be that important because the diffrence is only 3 between Sam & Hoolahan and I know who I would rather have in my team.
  • Options
    Those are just assists, I originally posted them, they're on the Football League website.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Those are just assists, I originally posted them, they're on the Football League website.

Ah ....... but it didn't include the assists for easy chances made, but team mates somehow missed.

Don't forget, Sam would be way out in front for assists if we'd had a clinical finisher or two. FACT!

;o)