Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club or Country?

Which do you feel more passionate towards in their matches? Club or county, or equal love for both some may say.

Comments

• Options
    Club simple.

Obviously I want England to do well but given a straight choice, Charlton all the way. Having read what Carragher said about Liverpool over England, i have to agree.
  • Options
    Club all day long...
  • Options
    Club, but when you live in other country for a while you find that in fact your country becomes your club.
    Your actual club is something you'll always love but that no-one else around you knows about.
    That being the case a World Cup win for England (or even just a very good performance) would actually have a greater effect on me that Charlton having won the play-offs.
    Given the choice of Charlton going bust or England being permanently banned from international matches though, and I would choose the latter.
  • Options
    all the way charlton, then england
  • Options
    Club, too easy.
  • Options
    For me, country. I don't think I'd ever celebrate Charlton winning the FA Cup as much as England winning the World Cup. However, that passion only happens once every two - four years, dependent on qualification, so Charlton are more like a loving faithful wife, and England are an exotic beauty you only get to see every now and then ...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Club, but when you live in other country for a while you find that in fact your country becomes your club.
    Your actual club is something you'll always love but that no-one else around you knows about.
    That being the case a World Cup win for England (or even just a very good performance) would actually have a greater effect on me that Charlton having won the play-offs.
    Given the choice of Charlton going bust or England being permanently banned from international matches though, and I would choose the latter.
    Completely agree with this.
  • Options
    Club easy wouldn't care if England were banned from any matches forever so long as i still have Charlton.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]For me, country. I don't think I'd ever celebrate Charlton winning the FA Cup as much as England winning the World Cup. However, that passion only happens once every two - four years, dependent on qualification, so Charlton are more like a loving faithful wife, and England are an exotic beauty you only get to see every now and then ...

spot on
  • Options
    I'd take a promotion out of this pony league over England winnning the next 20 World Cups
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Completly agree supaclive. (can't quote you because I'm on a mobile)
  • Options
    country every time
  • Options
    Club for the majority of the year, but as we are not playing now, its England all the way.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]I'd take a promotion out of this pony league over England winnning the next 20 World Cups

Exactly how I feel.
  • Options
    both for me
  • Options
    Club.
  • Options
    I must have a gene missing.

I rarely watch England. Didn't see the recent Mexico game. Didn't know there was a game against Japan until one of my sons came home and asked me the score.

I just can't associate with Lampard, Terry etc in the same way that I can with Semedo and Dailly. I hope England do well, and I'll watch as much of the World Cup as I can, but really don't care who wins it.
  • Options
    Club.

You don't spend all day on an England internet board do you !!
  • Options
    Club all day long, supaclive summed it up well.

I think it was different a few years ago, probably 1996 and before, as there wasn't the outrageous sums of money, the roastings, the accused rapes, the arrogance, cheating etc. More & more people are turned off by the players that represent England nowadays and it's hard to care too much about them when they don't seem to give a damn about the fans!
  • Options
    Country. Dont think you could get any better than England winning the World Cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Country. Dont think you could get any better than England winning the World Cup.
    Club every time for me. Charlton winning the Premier League or Champions League would be far better.

Would love to see us win promotion again, or one or the cups one day. If England won the World Cup I'd enjoy it, but Charlton winning something is just as rare and far more important to me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Country. Dont think you could get any better than England winning the World Cup.
    Club every time for me. Charlton winning the Premier League or Champions League would be far better.

Would love to see us win promotion again, or one or the cups one day. If England won the World Cup I'd enjoy it, but Charlton winning something is just as rare and far more important to me.

Perhaps, but then the whole argument of being able to 'relate' to the players that people seem to hold against the England team goes out the window. Dont think any true supporter can relate to a Champions League footballer.
  • Options
    Club.

When I was a kid I remember watching the England vs Poland game in 73 and nearly crying when we failed to win. Charlton still make me feel like that, but not so England.
  • Options
    If England were playing a world cup game on the TV and Charlton were playing a Div 3 game at the valley against, say Hartlepool and I knew Charlton were only going to get a 12,000 crowd, I would be one of the 12,000 - no argument.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]
    I think it was different a few years ago, probably 1996 and before, as there wasn't the outrageous sums of money, the roastings, the accused rapes, the arrogance, cheating etc. More & more people are turned off by the players that represent England nowadays and it's hard to care too much about them when they don't seem to give a damn about the fans!

Agree with this. Watched some dire programme last night presented by Richard Bacon and Peter Crouch (as bad as it sounds...it was BBC3) about shocking world cup moments and there were loads of clips showing the Italia 90 team which even though they were well paid celebs to a degree you wouldnt be suprised to bump into them in a boozer. (Was good to see a massive "Charlton The Valley" flag on the clip of the game Beckham got sent off against Argentina in a later part of the programme)

However if Cole and Terry were to do the business in the next month I wouldnt let their tabloid antics bother me one bit as I think the jubilation the country would go through would never be matched....would be like the sunderland playoff across the whole country.

Simple for me...club between august and may and England during June and July.
  • Options
    Well i wont invite you to join me on Becks yacht to celebrate the world cup win

There was a time when it was club but the prem years ruined that for me and i got back into

my England the one i loved as a boy the team from 82 my first memory of the world cup, the anger i felt as an 11 yr old in 86, the pride i felt in 90, The hurt in 94, the nearly feeling of 98 the specatcle that was 02, the winker in 06

Come on England i can not wait

we have had nothing but pain from CAFC now is the time to change your aliance without the guilt
  • Options
    Club, I really stopped caring after the Beckham, Owen, Scholes, era ... around then... and even then..

this lot are just not associated to me in any way...

they will have to do something pretty special to win my love back to be honest....

They come over like they could not give a monkeys t*ss....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

Perhaps, but then the whole argument of being able to 'relate' to the players that people seem to hold against the England team goes out the window. Dont think any true supporter can relate to a Champions League footballer.

Thought someone may make the comment about not being able to relate to Charlton players either. From my point of view, going to watch my team regularly, you see the players week in, week out, you get to know them as players and as people to some extent far more than anyone knows Lampard, Gerrard etc. You may spend 5 years watching a young academy player break through at 17 and at 22 he is the one who fires the goals to send you back to the premiership. You've watched that player grow and develop, you've watched a team grow & develop, you do relate to them in that way, not on a personal down the pub level, but you've shared their highs, their lows, their struggles and wins, and when it all comes together the joy and achievement is more than watching England every 2 years in a competition on the tv screen!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mascot, are you telling me some of the w*nkers we've had to put up with the last 3/4 years (this season has been a little bit better) care about this club. turn it in. People like Terry & Rooney do care about England.
  • Options
    Dunno SLL you see a lot of Millwall and the odd Charlton player in the clubs around Beckenham now and again..... I like it for selfish reasons as it is nice for all the women to be flocking around other blokes giving me a break from their fawning attention.

*the last bit may be fictional*