Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club or Country?

Comments

• Options
    club always
  • Options
    Im sure that most national teams nowdays are full of tossers yet their nationals put that aside and want them to do well. Doubt that many people in the Ivory coast can relate to Drogba or the people in the poverty stricken part of madeira where Ronaldo cut his teeth but they will still get behind them and neither are even the most likeable blokes on the pitch.

Way I look at it is the team is (arguably) the best set of football players we have available and I just forget about what tools they might be as individuals and support the them.

Really looking forward to it after a crap few Charlton seasons and after all the misery of the economy, recession, war, teenage killings, MP expenses etc it is a great bit of respite and a chance for the country to be united over something positive.

Come on England.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    100% agree Rodders. Cosmic post.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Club all the way.

Up to a couple of years ago i would have given you a reverse answer. Yes it would be brilliant if England won the World Cup and give the nation a bit of a feelgood factor, but ultimately i don't give a damn about people dancing in the streets of Bridlington and Gloucester etc. I would swap it all for something that would give me more personal pleasure, and that would mean Charlton doing something great.

All those that say country first i'll ask you this.

If we had got through against Swindon and played Millwall at Wembley, would you have taken England losing a World Cup final to Germany for us to beat Millwall at Wembley, or would you have taken us losing at Wembley to Millwall if it meant England winning the World Cup ?

Be honest
  • Options
    Im gonna be honest and say England win and we stay down. We'll go up next season.
  • Options
    I have a better test for you, AFKA.

If Charlton played England, who would you want to win?

What do you mean, it could never happen?

"If ...you know ... your history ...."
  • Options
    I'm with ValleyGary on this
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]I have a better test for you, AFKA.

If Charlton played England, who would you want to win?

What do you mean, it could never happen?

"If ...you know ... your history ...."

But it couldn't happen competitively, so no, its not a better test !

:-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    Why not turn it the other way? Tell me why I should care. A random collection of players who I have no affinity with, managed by an Italian. What does it mean to you when an England team or a British tennis player (like ... err ... Andy Murray or Greg Rusedski) wins?

Do you feel the buzz because this represent a victory for you? For the country of your birth over Johnny Foreigner? Reflected glory?

Somehow I can manage without that. Maybe it baffles me as to why you seem to need that.

It's not something that lends itself to rationalisation, but then again neither really does support of Charlton! I guess it's just an affinity you feel or you don't.

I don't tend to be a fan of mindless patriotism on things that matter or have human consequences, but for a football world cup I don't mind getting swept up in it. If we lose: I hurt. If we win: I celebrate.

Why? I don't know, I'm not going to get a calculator out and work it out. But that building excitement and buzz is not something I'd want to let go of. Technically it doesn't matter who kicks a ball in a goal, but the anticipation, the acute feelings of triumph/despair, the coming together with mates to watch a big event - they're things that do matter to me.

It might all be silly and futile and illogical, but it's a hell of an experience.
  • Options
    Honest

i would have taken england winning the world cup all day long

seriously consider the question you are posing the World Cup there would be nothing better

i reckon Charlton wining the champions League or England winning the world cup i would still pick England
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The you're not 'proper Charlton'........
  • Options
    I occasionally go to watch my local non-league side, Bromley. I also follow the results in the paper/web

I enjoy the games, want them to win and am disappointed when they lose but that's it. It doesn't really made that much to me and it's nothing like the high or low of following Charlton.

For Bromley read England.
  • Options
    I just posed the question to 2 yids an orient fan and a scouser

Arsenal in the Champs league or England world cup

1 yid Champs league all day long other yid i can not choose

Scouser England over beating man yoo in champs final

ans

England

Orient fan beating west ham in champs final or england

Ans

England
  • Options
    Actually having seen the turn this thread has taken, I would rather have England win the world cup than Charlton getting promoted. (not that this was the original issue)
    The general improvement in people's attitude and cheerfulness after a major national team victory always adds a buzz for a few months in bars shops and when out and about. So for the greater good, I hope we win the world cup.

But I would ban all newspapers from hyping it all up and ban M and S anbd all the others from making money on the backs of the team.
  • Options
    and??? what does that mean NLA??
  • Options
    Club. With Dave R on this.
  • Options
    i'm going to say club. i just don't feel the same passion when watching england as i do watching charlton.
    i'm not sure why this is, and i have nothing against the england team. i'd love for us to lift that trophy again. but watching charlton is by far the better feeling, even when we lose.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i reckon Charlton wining the champions League or England winning the world cup i would still pick England
    Isn't that partly because us winning the Champions League sounds impossible, England doesn't. Hard to imagine what it'd be like to see us playing in the Champions League, nevermind winning it.
  • Options
    i can't believe the answers ..... i'd take us to fluke a promotion from this poxy league over england winning the world cup ... for us to win the champions league i'd probably cut me own testicles off and eat them
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i can't believe the answers ..... i'd take us to fluke a promotion from this poxy league over england winning the world cup ... for us to win the champions league i'd probably cut me own testicles off and eat them

Agreed 100%
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

All those that say country first i'll ask you this.

If we had got through against Swindon and played Millwall at Wembley, would you have taken England losing a World Cup final to Germany for us to beat Millwall at Wembley, or would you have taken us losing at Wembley to Millwall if it meant England winning the World Cup ?

Be honest

Afka only a handful of my mates are Charlton whereas a lot more are England. The selfish factor would be good but nowhere near to me for winning the World Cup as the whole country would be enjoying it and it would be a real buzz.

Also we have a chance (nigh on impossible but yet still theoretically possible) of winning the Premiership then Champions League in the next 4 years yet England only get one chance every 4 years (the Euros wouldnt be the same as the WC...bit like the Europa cup compared to CL).

Therefore Ill be going and cheering on Charlton over those four seasons every week or so but this only comes round once in a blue moon.

Not sure I would go so far to say that Id lose to Millwall in the playoffs to guarantee a World Cup win but I do love England as much as Charlton. As for hating the players I dont like the majority of England players but then again I couldnt stand Hamma Bouazza and didnt think much of Dennis Rommendahl when he was bottling out of tackles but I still cheered them on and wanted Charlton to do well.
  • Options
    How the hell have we managed to quote from the previous page?!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Len Glover[/cite]I realise many of you on here hate Her Majesty and all the traditions of our great country from other discussion topics but if the players don't care about their country they won't give their all for it.
    Oh for goodness sake, Len! At this rate we're going to have to rename you Victor Meldrew. You can care about your country without thinking that everything about it is right and doesn't need to be changed.

Personally I want England to do well, but their success or failure means nowhere near as much to me as Charlton's does. As someone on the previous page said, when we went out of France98, my immediate thought was "well if someone had asked me would I swap Charlton winning at Wembley for England winning the World Cup instead? No way, Charlton every time."
  • Options
    I was discussing this with my Millwall mate the other day. For him it was always Millwall. Tougher call for me, as I still recall the fantastic time we had in 1966. If it's England to win the world cup and us to get promoted to the prem, then it's a no contest, hello Old Trafford! For us to get out of Div 3, I think I go for England. Trouble is i hate Cashly, Fat Frank and co. It's going to take a few games for me to warm to this team. Anyway, after watching Mexico run rings around us I don't think we are going very far.
  • Options
    Country, every time. Always been that way.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Welsh

i think it means that the Club vs country question is a real toughie and that not as many people as i thought would take club over country

for a true scouser Living in london who goes to all home games and as many aways as he can afford says that he would rather England win the world cup than the scousers beat man yoo in the champs league.

tells me that england winning a world cup is special

i think it comes down to the frequency of the tournaments,

if you think that if you are lucky you will live for 20 world cups (morbid i know)

but in that time you will have seen 80 league seasons, 80 fa cups, 80 league cups and so on

Also when the thing gets going and the boozers are packed people are buzzing the whole country unites it really does give off a euporia that club football can not,

i know that our club doing well gives us the fan of that club that feeling and that makes it more precious, it doesnt make it more unique and it is that felling that most of us have never experienced.

once we win a world cup in my life time then maybe i would feel different
  • Options
    welsh

what about charlton vs palace in the fa cup final

or

wales beating england in the world cup final

what would you sacrifice
  • Options
    Depends

I have travelled to a few places with England and had some cracking laughs so the 3 Lions holds a great affection for me. There is nothing like a band of brothers overseas.

I would very happily recreate that with Charlton but I fear I may wait a long time. As good as Gillingham away was this year it will struggle to compare to Lisbon or Berlin.....

That said, The Valley beats Wembley every single time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thewolfboy[/cite] Anyway, after watching Mexico run rings around us I don't think we are going very far.

Why is it that when England win a game against the run of play, we are rubbish, don't deserve it etc, but when we rip the oppo to pieces but lose or draw and get nothing, we should learn to be more efficient... close the game out... win when we are playing badly like the Italians/Argies/Germans... it's goals that count... etc etc etc?

Not a pop at you personally wolf as we hear it all the time.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]welsh
    wales beating england in the world cup final
    Oh come on NLA, he's more likely to win the Euromillions than that happen.
    Charlton reaching the FA Cup final vs Wales reaching the World Cup is a fairer question.