Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club or Country?

Comments

• Options
    Charlton every time, i spend a fortune watching charlton very little watching wales. most club fans who actually watch there club will pick the club, if you are a part time club man you would pick your country.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WelshAddick[/cite]Charlton every time, i spend a fortune watching charlton very little watching wales. most club fans who actually watch there club will pick the club, if you are a part time club man you would pick your country.

And the ideal person to represent why country comes before club responds. It seems okay to pick your club from anywhere - even a "foreign" country in Welsh's case - but you are lumbered with your country, it is yours, whether you like it or not, in sickness and health etc.

I speak as one who picked his club BTW.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WelshAddick[/cite]Charlton every time, i spend a fortune watching charlton very little watching wales. most club fans who actually watch there club will pick the club, if you are a part time club man you would pick your country.

part time club man, i aint ever been called that before

smudge said i aint proper charlton earlier

maybe i have fallen that far out of love with charlton that i havent noticed.

Even when i went home and away nothing appealed to me more than a world cup though

nah it is because i am english first and an addick 2nd
  • Options
    I was born in woolwich to welsh parents and when i was a teenager they moved back to wales. It would have been easy for me to lose charlton but after have 6 seasons of watching a club you get hooked. I cant wait for the fixtures to come out june17. I cant beleive true club fans would choose there country.
  • Options
    I didnt mean you NLA as a part time club man, I meant in general, I reckon 90% would say club and 10% would say country.
  • Options
    Wonder if we'd feel different if there were 3/4 current Charlton players playing regularly for England, for me it would still be CAFC over England.

I am looking forward to the WC though, a nice rest from Charlton, hopefully some excellent football matches and great goals and maybe an England win.

There was a Scottish pundit on Sky last week who said that England will inevitably flatter to deceive, raise expectations and probably go out on pens, tbh it is hard to disagree perhaps with a dodgy ref decision or disallowed goal in the mix. Therefore determined to enjoy the WC and if England do well, great. If they do not, oh well! Looking back to 2008, it was actually ok to watch a tournament minus England as it was still very entertaining.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WelshAddick[/cite]I was born in woolwich to welsh parents and when i was a teenager they moved back to wales. It would have been easy for me to lose charlton but after have 6 seasons of watching a club you get hooked.

So why doesn't the same apply to country then? That is exactly the point I am making. You supported your local club - why not your local country? Of course not, and quite right too. But if we wished, tomorrow we could decide to be Liverpool fans, and we would get stick for a while, but if you lived up there and went every week, folk would get used to it. Your country you are stuck with. Therefore country first .

I also agree with those that mention that an England success is for everyone, club success is just for the few. The play off final/WC final comparison. Personally a Play off defeat would be much more hurtful, you can't begin to imagine what it's like being the unofficial Charlton ambassador to the Algarve - they queue up to have a pop, and will be all summer long - but I would still rather England won the WC.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what to think about this thread other than it being ridiculous.

Why or even how choose between the two?

When my wife gives birth to our second child would you expect me to be able to say which child I love the most?

In five / ten / twenty years time I expect that I will love them both equally but differently.

That's how I feel about Charlton and England.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WelshAddick[/cite]I

I also agree with those that mention that an England success is for everyone, club success is just for the few. The play off final/WC final comparison. Personally a Play off defeat would be much more hurtful, you can't begin to imagine what it's like being the unofficial Charlton ambassador to the Algarve - they queue up to have a pop, and will be all summer long - but I would still rather England won the WC.

People have a pop at you about Charlton in the Algarve! My experience overseas is that this would only happen with other English people. French people might have a pop about England in an international tournament but never Charlton. They just don't understand Charlton - most of them think I mean Chelsea anyway.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: WelshAddick[/cite]Charlton every time, i spend a fortune watching charlton very little watching wales. most club fans who actually watch there club will pick the club, if you are a part time club man you would pick your country.[/quote]

part time club man, i aint ever been called that before

smudge said i aint proper charlton earlier

maybe i have fallen that far out of love with charlton that i havent noticed.

Even when i went home and away nothing appealed to me more than a world cup though

nah it is because i am english first and an addick 2nd[/quote]

My Joe just said you aint proper to many freebies mate ;-)

for me it's CLUB CLUB CLUB FECKIN CLUB FECKIN CLUB I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE CHARLTON
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Club.

Just can't get that excited about that bunch of celebrity wankers currently playing for England.

In 1990 you could actually relate to the likes of Stuart Pearce, could you say that about Ashley Cole?

In 1990 we had that uber-Patriot Terry Butcher as centre-half now we have the permanently horny John Terry!!!

In 1990 we had the loveable Geordies Waddle and Beardsley, now we have that arch-prick Gerrard who spends his time either assaulting folk in pubs or diving to win penalties.

In 1990 we had the working class legend Steve Bull as our back-up striker, we now have that Judas scumbag Defoe who spends more time getting blown in public than he does scoring against decent opponents.

Sorry, but with this lot in the side I just can't get that excited about England any more.....
  • Options
    Country. No question. I don't let idiots like Cole, Terry and Neville bother me. It's not their team (England) it's ours.
    Having had to (consciously) sit through two World Cups, 74+78 before I saw us compete in one, I and others my age do not take qualification for granted.
    I was alive when we won and defended it but too young to remember. I was put off revising for my O-Levels suffering the frustration of our stuttering 82 campaign. My two heroes missed everything but the last 1/2 hour of our tournament and when they finally took the field one of them let me down.
    I stayed up to all hours in 86 to support us through our dodgy early games. I took the Boy Line Acre to heart. I felt we were on the way to glory before Maradonna sorted us out.
    1990 was the most heart breaking, frustration against Ireland - Steve McMahon!! Jack Charlton, Andy Townsend, Tony Cascarino, John Aldridge and Mick McCarthy - Englishmen plotting against us. Ecstasy against Belgium, drama against Cameroon. Shilton's bravery and Linekers powerful pens. Then of course the Semi. I was gutted for days.
    I'm sorry everyone but England winning means far more to me. I'd except 10 years in the 4th div for a World Cup win.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I'm sorry everyone but England winning means far more to me. I'd except 10 years in the 4th div for a World Cup win.
    DON'T SAY THAT!!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Im completely the other way.......

as someone said(cant quote from other page) "Id take winning the world cup over charlton winning the champs league"

Well I cant go any where near that...

The champs league! To be the best club side in Europe... mate Id do all kinds of stuff to get that...

winning the world cup would be nice, and of course Id celebrate but it would not be the the wild crazy long term buzz Id feel if we got promoted, it wouldne be the delighted feeling I can get just by thinking about us getting promoted...

I can definately take or leave England, I like England dont get me wrong, and Ill be getting up in the middle of the night to watch them.... BUT Charlton now they are me, they the ones... the real ones... the ones that can ruin or make my life a joy and will always be forgiven...
  • Options
    What a stupid question. You can only support one team. Anyone who supports another team (be they a club or country) is a half-fan and should be treated as such.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: thewolfboy[/cite]Anyway, after watching Mexico run rings around us I don't think we are going very far.

Why is it that when England win a game against the run of play, we are rubbish, don't deserve it etc, but when we rip the oppo to pieces but lose or draw and get nothing, we should learn to be more efficient... close the game out... win when we are playing badly like the Italians/Argies/Germans... it's goals that count... etc etc etc?

Not a pop at you personally wolf as we hear it all the time.

Because there's some sort of myth that the other big teams are winning every game 5-0.

I notice Spain only just beat Saudi Arabia 3-2 at home, with a 92nd minute winner. I'd be highly amused if there's a Spanish whinger somewhere complaining that such performances mean they have "no chance when they come up against the likes of Brazil/England"

The bottom line is we keep winning and winning and winning. Egypt and Mexico (particularly Mexico) are very good sides, and they were both dispatched 3-1 without the performance being particularly great. In short, it's the sort of thing the Italians and Germans would do, and I find that hugely encouraging.
  • Options
    Really can't believe anyone would take a world cup win over a Charlton champions league win. Promotion/World cup is a trickier one for me though
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]Really can't believe anyone would take a world cup win over a Charlton champions league win. Promotion/World cup is a trickier one for me though

How about Promotion to the Prem, bet that makes it much easier...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Country, every time. Always been that way.
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]I speak as one who picked his club BTW.

which one is it ?
  • Options
    I am shocked at the support for country over club to be honest.

I think I would take a point at The Den over us beating Algeria.

The walk out of Gelsenkirchen when we lost on pens doesnt even compare to the walk out of The Valley when we lost to Swindon...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why can't we have both?

Success for Charlton is not mutually exclusive with success for England.

For twenty three months out of twenty four I don't really care that much about England, as long as we qualify for the summer tournament. However once the big tournament starts (and the press and the shops go into overdrive) it's difficult not to get involved.

For me the fact that success for us most seasons does not come down to a one off game makes the International tournaments a completely different type of event. The later stages of the World Cup are more exciting than a mid table home game at The Valley in May.

Having said that if given the choice, if it really was my down to my preference I would rather have won promotion than have England in the World Cup Finals, but I would want both and for that reason I didn't give England a thought when we were losing to Swindon on penalties, and chances are I won't actually be thinking about Charlton when I'm watching England crash out of the World Cup.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: floydandharvey[/cite]What a stupid question. You can only support one team. Anyone who supports another team (be they a club or country) is a half-fan and should be treated as such.

Shocking post, seeing as one team plays international football & the other club football. Yeah im a half fan then. Dont be such an egg.
  • Options
    Got to agree with valley Gary, terrible post
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Country, every time. Always been that way.
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]I speak as one who picked his club BTW.

which one is it ?

Still making my mind up...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]I am shocked at the support for country over club to be honest.

Without actually checking I'd say support for club over country on this thread is about 95% in favour of club. I can't see why you are shocked.
    However I, as a Country first man, am shocked at the support of club over country.
    I honestly feel my shock is more valid.
  • Options
    An analogy is if you have two sons and one lives with you at home whereas the other one lives in Oz and you only see him every couple of years does it mean that you love either more or less?

That's how I see England and Charlton...love them both loads equally and want both to do as well so not Sophie's Choice for me.
  • Options
    Just seen your post Jimmy Melrose saying the same.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]That's how I see England and Charlton...love them both loads equally

Out of interest, how many England games have you paid to see live in the last 4 years, compared to how many Charlton games ?
  • Options
    I have paid to see 6 England Games

and been to 3 full seasons of Freebies at charlton howver in the first season we were in the chumpionship i paid for an ST but took up the freebies
  • Options
    In the last four years I've been to see England play at Wembley about ten times and I went to see us play Ecuador in Germany in 2006. Out of interest with the Englandfans membership and the cost of the trip to Germany I've probably spent close to the price of three Charlton season tickets during that time.