Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

the Shard

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: C.Walsh'sLoveChild[/cite]Anyone know who the electrical side has been subbed out to? Thought I saw a couple baileys blokes there last week
    There's lots of different packages run by different subcontractors. CHS have the containment and small power package.
  • Options
    Heron and CIT are still fairly busy, 2 massive projects with the aforementioned group and a few smaller commercial with CIT.

Shard is rattling along at a fair old pace. My mate got a job with MACE a few months ago on the Shard, been meaning to have words with him about opportunities down there.

Seeing a LOT of projects being dusted off and heading back to the feasibility stages...good news for us on the pre-contract side, but a lot of these aren't going to go to tender for 8 months to a year, so still a tough outlook for contractors. But then QS practices etc have had a shit 2 years up until now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]
    Seeing a LOT of projects being dusted off and heading back to the feasibility stages...good news for us on the pre-contract side, but a lot of these aren't going to go to tender for 8 months to a year, so still a tough outlook for contractors. But then QS practices etc have had a shit 2 years up until now.
    Not with this government they're not! I think the Pinnacle (being built near tower 42) is going to look better than the shard.

250px-Bishopsgate_Tower_from_London_Bridge_cropped.JPG
  • Options
    Ah, the Helter Skelter.

Not to be confused with the "Walkie Talkie", the "Shaver", the "Cheese Grater" or of course the "Shard of Glass" or the "Gherkin".

Anyone noticed where we seem to be going with this? I'm waiting for the "Pile of Shat" development to get the go ahead - should be a good one that.
  • Options
    In the paper today there was a peice about the budget next week going to have a special section on boosting the housebuilding sector (we can hope). Plus also read, that rents for city space are now starting to rise again which will kick off developers thoughts about building big shiny things again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Sparrows Lane Lion[/cite]
    Not with this government they're not! I think the Pinnacle (being built near tower 42) is going to look better than the shard.

250px-Bishopsgate_Tower_from_London_Bridge_cropped.JPG

Too many clients have got too much money not earning enough for them to carry on sitting on it. Tender prices are dropping and following recent leaks to the industry media clients seem to be keen on re-appraising their projects that were shelved 12-18 months ago and seeing how the numbers now stack up and are hoping to take advantage of desperate contractors buying work.

We're snowed under, some major developments are getting the go ahead and whilst it's still early days things are looking promising on our side of the fence. It's certainly a lot different to how it was end of 08 and through 09, bloody horrible times.
  • Options
    amazes me that they are still bulilding all over the City when there is empty office space everywhere.
  • Options
    Sparrow good to see it picking up guess you
    at front of food chain and been bad two years
    for archs pqs etc
    yes good time for developers to start some
    projects as pfi dead as a dodo looks like it's
    going to be back to buying work it will be about
    turnover for year or so then hope back to
    better times
    let's hope minster court and more 80 90 developments
    get bulldozed some crap buildings went up in them
    boom times

been around for few cycles now in the city but last few
    years not been fun
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dartfordgent[/cite]Sparrow good to see it picking up guess you
    at front of food chain and been bad two years
    for archs pqs etc
    yes good time for developers to start some
    projects as pfi dead as a dodo looks like it's
    going to be back to buying work it will be about
    turnover for year or so then hope back to
    better times
    let's hope minster court and more 80 90 developments
    get bulldozed some crap buildings went up in them
    boom times

been around for few cycles now in the city but last few
    years not been fun

I've been off work for 3 weeks but my boss came to see me today, got more jobs that have come in, mainly feasibility / stage C before going into planning, but also some that are post-planning approval and being given the green light to re-price at today's prices.

Also seeing a lot of recruitment on the PQS side now, was told we've been given the green light to get a few more bodies in, so fingers crossed.

Just hope that the sub-contractors can keep their heads above water for the next year and we don't see more of them going bust.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]amazes me that they are still bulilding all over the City when there is empty office space everywhere.
    Most buildings aren't 100% full if that's what you mean. But as company don't want to spread about in separate buildings there is still a massive demand for office space in the London.

We're were fine in 08/09 but this year could be tough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Coming along isn't it?

Was on the platform at LB on the way home and couldn't help noticing how many people were standing there just staring up at it. Glad it's not just me - fascinating watching it go up.
  • Options
    Very taken by the new one at Elephant and Castle, too
  • Options
    Someone told me that the life expectancy of the Shard is 50 years. Sometimes, without trying to sound too Prince Charles like, I wish that we would get back to building things that will be around longer than a generation or two. Having said that, I think the shard looks great. Shame it won't be around for long.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]Someone told me that the life expectancy of the Shard is 50 years. Sometimes, without trying to sound too Prince Charles like, I wish that we would get back to building things that will be around longer than a generation or two. Having said that, I think the shard looks great. Shame it won't be around for long.

.....A bit like the London Eye?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]Very taken by the new one at Elephant and Castle, too

Yeah quite interesting to see the massive turbines on top generate 40% of the entire buildings energy.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Jarman[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]Very taken by the new one at Elephant and Castle, too[/quote]

Yeah quite interesting to see the massive turbines on top generate 40% of the entire buildings energy.[/quote]Of course they do, and I'm buying Charlton Athletic...
  • Options
    Of course they do, and I'm buying Charlton Athletic...

No you're not.
    Simon Jordan is.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jarman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]Very taken by the new one at Elephant and Castle, too

Yeah quite interesting to see the massive turbines on top generate 40% of the entire buildings energy.

more like 8%
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]Someone told me that the life expectancy of the Shard is 50 years. Sometimes, without trying to sound too Prince Charles like, I wish that we would get back to building things that will be around longer than a generation or two. Having said that, I think the shard looks great. Shame it won't be around for long.

.....A bit like the London Eye?
    Wasn't the eye originally only going to be in place for 5 years?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Jarman[/cite]

more like 8%
    That figure sounds a lot more realistic, they're nothing more than a token gesture added to get planning approval.

I thought the eye was for 1 year?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The eye had planning permission for 5 years, but then that was changed in 2004, and it got permission for another 25 years
  • Options
    how funny, I work in 3 Minster Court, and many moons ago used to work in Elephant and Castle..

:)
  • Options
    Transport for London were due to take several floors at £39 per sq metre but have sold on their lease at a profit.

They sold it back to the developer I believe for a £5m premium. Do a lot of work with TfL property and they're very sharp.
  • Options
    the lift shaft / foundations are no different to that of the building before.

used to work above the Barrowboy & Banker pub just on the south side of LB and the they didn't raise the old building to the ground. They took the top levels away and the outside structure and then restarted building, around the old liftshaft etc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]The eye had planning permission for 5 years, but then that was changed in 2004, and it got permission for another 25 years
    They should rebuild the eye on the tip of The Shard, it would give far better views and be a better ride.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shamkat[/cite]the lift shaft / foundations are no different to that of the building before.

used to work above the Barrowboy & Banker pub just on the south side of LB and the they didn't raise the old building to the ground. They took the top levels away and the outside structure and then restarted building, around the old liftshaft etc.

Just seen this. Sorry mate, that's a load of pony! The previous building was knocked down completely - either that or they made the liftshaft invisible for a few months!
  • Options
    standing at london bridge now, looking up at a blinking welders flame near the very top, im cold down here so that guy has nuts of pure diamond!
  • Options
    And when it was really windy last week watching the cranes around the Shard moving in the wind, I assume that the crane drivers have all been on ships at ome point..
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    shardnov3.jpg
  • Options
    shardnov.jpg