Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

the Shard

1235»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I could've seen it from my window but I forgot to look.
    What area is your window?
    Bricklayers Arms. So a 15 minute walk from London Bridge.
  • Options
    I want to know when we can expect The Eye of Sauron to turn up?
  • Options
    You live in a pub? Impressive.
  • Options
    I bloody wish. Its just the name of the area, a fancy way of saying "near that big roundabout where the Old Kent Road meets Tower Bridge Road".
  • Options
    Looked a bit naff the 'highlights' that I saw.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I liked Comedy Central's take on it. http://www.comedycentral.co.uk/news/the-shard-opens-with-stunning-laser-show-ca5f3484

Especially this bit:
    The Shard will be a 'mixed use' building. That's architects' jargon that means some of its uses will be good and some bad. The office work will mostly be dreary, but some of the shenanigans in the hotel above will be quite exciting. The penthouses will boast a mixture of good fun and the dreadful rich while the viewing platforms will offer amazing views of London for the terrible price of 25 quid.
  • Options
    Do you think at a cost to build of £450 million it's a bit of a steal?
  • Options
    Yeah, if you factor in exchange rates over time, think how much the Pyramids of Giza cost to build. Didn't come cheap. And they shipped in cheap labour too! It's a modern day steal ;-)
  • Options
    Has anyone done the "View from the Shard" ?

I am not good with heights at all, but am due to do this as part of a day up town Friday week. Not looking forward to it!
  • Options
    I'm crap with heights but found it fine, felt very safe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's fun and there's plenty of space away form the edges, which are full height glass.
  • Options
    I have done private dining there and just yesterday was in the.bar on 52 (?) floor - the pne for the Private Residences.

Very nice.
  • Options
    Seems bit pricey if same price as when first opened.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

I bloody wish. Its just the name of the area, a fancy way of saying "near that big roundabout where the Old Kent Road meets Tower Bridge Road".

It's not fancy, that's just what the place is called.
  • Options
    Got evacuated the Thursday before last when they had the smoke issue in the basement. We were using a client's offices on the 14th floor for a day away from our own office. Alarms went off just before 11am and got back in around 3pm (all our work, bags etc were stuck up there).

It's certainly got a long way to go to be finished. It's meant to be in sealable sections so you don't have to evacuate the whole building. As that's not competed yet, the whole place was kicked out. Some very hacked off guests of the Shangri-La Hotel standing around outside their £600 a night rooms!!
  • Options
    My mate's wife told me she had taken him up the shard for his birthday.

Had to laugh.
  • Options
    I've been told that it is the same height as the Stratosphere Tower in Vegas. I've been up that and wasn't too bad so hoping I won't bring shame on myself!
  • Options

I've been told that it is the same height as the Stratosphere Tower in Vegas. I've been up that and wasn't too bad so hoping I won't bring shame on myself!

Take a spare pair with you, Clem.

• Options

Have been up both and would agree with this... feels like there is more space in the Shard though to walk around (nor do they have those rides the Stratosphere has)
  • Options
    Am terrified of heights, but found the viewing great. Must admit, I ducked out of walking up the extra steps to the outside viewing area, but my s-i-l thought that was terrific too!