Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bedford Town V Charlton Athletic ( friendly) * Match Thread *

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Planty_The_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Lots of trees
    \

Thats to block out the noise of the A603, funny location for Bedford, not that close to the town really.

Because it's a Sandy pitch?

Or nowhere near there either?
  • Options
    How did Mambo do at right back? Not really played there much before as far as I know. With Fortune around we have 4 senior centre backs, at least for now, so I guess he's playing there just to get a game more than anything.

Was Tuna up front on his own?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I want to know how Bedsy confused Mambo with Solly ....?

I suppose easy mistake to make.
  • Options
    BedfordTownvCharltonAth001.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    maybe they were wearing the same coloured boots
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Planty_The_Addick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]Lots of trees[/quote]\

Thats to block out the noise of the A603, funny location for Bedford, not that close to the town really.[/quote]

Because it's a Sandy pitch?

Or nowhere near there either?[/quote]

If you mean Sandy the town, then it is closer to bedford town. Its actually in a place called Cardington. Shite pub since new owners, but great little farm shop with a decent butchers. Just incase you wanted to know ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Just back from the game. Well, not 'just' back, but you get the idea.

Bedsaddick has done a decent job on the line-up etc, but Mambo played right back, not Solly. Solly came on at left back late on for Jenkinson. The handball for their penalty was by Reid and Semedo didn't come on at any time, but he was there.

Fortune was definitely done for pace for the Bedford equaliser, but there was also no cover behind him. You know, the kind of thing that Dailly does week in week out.

I liked the look of Jenkinson, although he is not left-footed. And there is something about Mulley too. Neat and tidy, with a hint of the unexpected ... I expect. Sawyer, I'm not so sure. Nothing really much to offer on tonight's evidence. Mambo reminds me too much of Lenny Henry to convince me that he can ever be a good footballer.

Reid was disappointing ... and less than impressed when Parkinson told him "You've spent long enough in there. Get out wide."

Great work by Racon for Tuna's goal (which he took very well). And Davisson's run and shot for the winner was a nice end to a fairly low-key work-out.

To complete the report ... Bedford Town cheesburgers are fine and good value at £4, parking in the main club car park at £1 was an honour and a privilege, while the club badge at £2-50 takes pride of place tonight on the mantlepiece at Rudd Towers.
    Interesting, thanks for that. I went to AFC Wimbledon and Welling and thought Mulley did fairly well in those games, Sawyer sounds like more of the same unfortunately, not really shown enough.

Where did Mulley play? Already played 4 positions before tonight I think, and from the looks of it he might have gone played central midfield.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I want to know how Bedsy confused Mambo with Solly ....?

I suppose easy mistake to make.

yes realised i made that mistake when i saw Solly sitting on the bench. I originally went with what i thought the tannoy announcer said but he sounded like he was using something made by Fisher Price.
    It's not easy this match thread lark!!!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]How did Mambo do at right back? Not really played there much before as far as I know. With Fortune around we have 4 senior centre backs, at least for now, so I guess he's playing there just to get a game more than anything.

Was Tuna up front on his own?[/quote]

Yes, Tuna was up front on his own. Perkins came on towards the end.

Mambo was poor, in my opinion. He is not that strong in the air, and is clearly a liability on the deck. He enjoys getting forward, though, but his crosses were always of the over-hit and looping variety. He is not athletic ... and that will limit how far he can go in the game.
  • Options
    Pretty much agree with other peoples assessment. For the first 20 minutes we were definitely losing the ball too cheaply in the midfield but overall we passed them off the park but just lacked the end product. Most crosses seemed to be over hit or too close to the keeper.

I would say Fortune was at fault for their goal. Didn't react fast enough and got left standing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Just back from the game. Well, not 'just' back, but you get the idea.

Bedsaddick has done a decent job on the line-up etc, but Mambo played right back, not Solly. Solly came on at left back late on for Jenkinson. The handball for their penalty was by Reid and Semedo didn't come on at any time, but he was there.

Fortune was definitely done for pace for the Bedford equaliser, but there was also no cover behind him. You know, the kind of thing that Dailly does week in week out.

I liked the look of Jenkinson, although he is not left-footed. And there is something about Mulley too. Neat and tidy, with a hint of the unexpected ... I expect. Sawyer, I'm not so sure. Nothing really much to offer on tonight's evidence. Mambo reminds me too much of Lenny Henry to convince me that he can ever be a good footballer.

Reid was disappointing ... and less than impressed when Parkinson told him "You've spent long enough in there. Get out wide."

Great work by Racon for Tuna's goal (which he took very well). And Davisson's run and shot for the winner was a nice end to a fairly low-key work-out.

To complete the report ... Bedford Town cheesburgers are fine and good value at £4, parking in the main club car park at £1 was an honour and a privilege, while the club badge at £2-50 takes pride of place tonight on the mantlepiece at Rudd Towers.[/quote]
    Interesting, thanks for that. I went to AFC Wimbledon and Welling and thought Mulley did fairly well in those games, Sawyer sounds like more of the same unfortunately, not really shown enough.

Where did Mulley play? Already played 4 positions before tonight I think, and from the looks of it he might have gone played central midfield.[/quote]

Mulley played central midfield to start, but late in the first half Breaker told him to switch with Sawyer, so he played wide right for a bit. Less effective there, I thought .. as was Sawyer in the middle ... but Breaker knows best. At least, I assume he does now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Mulley played central midfield to start, but late in the first half Breaker told him to switch with Sawyer, so he played wide right for a bit. Less effective there, I thought .. as was Sawyer in the middle ... but Breaker knows best. At least, I assume he does now.

But it's only basically a training game - and the right opportunity to see how adaptable the triallists could be.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Mulley played central midfield to start, but late in the first half Breaker told him to switch with Sawyer, so he played wide right for a bit. Less effective there, I thought .. as was Sawyer in the middle ... but Breaker knows best. At least, I assume he does now.[/quote]

But it's only basically a training game - and the right opportunity to see how adaptable the triallists could be.[/quote]

Correct. It was the right switch to make.

But we shouldn't do it again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Reid was disappointing ... and less than impressed when Parkinson told him "You've spent long enough in there. Get out wide."
    where else should a winger be playing exactly?
  • Options
    Dave, do you reckon Mulley has done well enough for us to keep him?

He's figured in every game. And probably played more minutes on the park than any other player.
    So the club are having a thorough look at him.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Dave, do you reckon Mulley has done well enough for us to keep him?

He's figured in every game. And probably played more minutes on the park than any other player.
    So the club are having a thorough look at him.[/quote]

It was my first look at Mulley tonight (blushes with embarrassment). From what I saw, I'd give him a go.
  • Options
    So good to see fortune back in the CAFC kit.

Will always a warm reception if we sign him back up. Is this staduim in the middle of a lord of the rings film set??
  • Options
    from what I saw at Welling then Mulley is certainly worth a good look at. Surprised Sawyer is still there though. I suppose Bauza must be playing Saturday, hence not involved tonight. Must make a decision soon on him.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: CrayAddick[/cite]Is this staduim in the middle of a lord of the rings film set??[/quote]

You see ... this is why us yokels laugh when you townies talk about Bexley 'village'.

Must go ... there are sheep loose in my kitchen.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]How did Mambo do at right back? Not really played there much before as far as I know. With Fortune around we have 4 senior centre backs, at least for now, so I guess he's playing there just to get a game more than anything.

Was Tuna up front on his own?

Mambo was poor, in my opinion. He is not that strong in the air, and is clearly a liability on the deck. He enjoys getting forward, though, but his crosses were always of the over-hit and looping variety. He is not athletic ... and that will limit how far he can go in the game.
    Agree when I've seen him he's not particularly quick or most comfortable on the ball. He is a centre back though and if solid enough he'll be able to get away with that, plenty of other centre backs do.

Not saying he'll definitely make it with us, but if he doesn't it wouldn't surprise me to see him work his way back up the leagues. Turner and Shittu did, and I'm sure there were similar doubts about them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Dave, do you reckon Mulley has done well enough for us to keep him?

So the club are having a thorough look at him.

It was my first look at Mulley tonight (blushes with embarrassment). From what I saw, I'd give him a go.

Thanks for that, Dave.

And Large. Cheers.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CrayAddick[/cite]So good to see fortune back in the CAFC kit.

Will always a warm reception if we sign him back up. Is this staduim in the middle of a lord of the rings film set??

Believe me the photo's make it look a lot prettier than it actually is!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]How did Mambo do at right back? Not really played there much before as far as I know. With Fortune around we have 4 senior centre backs, at least for now, so I guess he's playing there just to get a game more than anything.

Was Tuna up front on his own?[/quote]

Mambo was poor, in my opinion. He is not that strong in the air, and is clearly a liability on the deck. He enjoys getting forward, though, but his crosses were always of the over-hit and looping variety. He is not athletic ... and that will limit how far he can go in the game.[/quote]
    Agree when I've seen him he's not particularly quick or most comfortable on the ball. He is a centre back though and if solid enough he'll be able to get away with that, plenty of other centre backs do.

Not saying he'll definitely make it with us, but if he doesn't it wouldn't surprise me to see him work his way back up the leagues. Turner and Shittu did, and I'm sure there were similar doubts about them.[/quote]

I know what you mean, and I wish him well. But, considering his physique, I'd expect him to dominate in the air ... and he doesn't. I think that 75% of his bodyweight is below his waist (ooo-er) which means that he doesn't leave the ground easily. He's not a commanding centre back. So, his strength (which is his strength) doesn't seem to be a strength ... more a weakness.

I reckon he does a great Theophilus P Wildebeest, though.
  • Options
    I think everyone who has seen Mulley over the 4 games has at least said he did quite well. Obviously something there, but he's an interesting one, not clear what type of player he is, or what position we'd use him if he did sign.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I think everyone who has seen Mulley over the 4 games has at least said he did quite well. Obviously something there, but he's an interesting one, not clear what type of player he is, or what position we'd use him if he did sign.[/quote]

He's the new Dean Sinclair.
  • Options
    He's the new Dean Sinclair.

lol, Dave ..... I was thinking along those lines too. Even looks a bit like him, build, etc - well, IMO.

But though he's labelled as a CM , he seems very comfortable at RB and RM also.
    Bit of a utility player, then?

D'you reckon if Basey doesn't come back, they'll offer him Basey's reduced contract and get him to be the Right sided utility player?
  • Options
    Plays anywhere, but gets farmed out constantly and ends up back where he started?
  • Options
    Another win...

good news... nice workout, and I pray to the angels of good will that Fortune signs... please please please...

Tuna knocks one in, good for his confidence..

Roll on Barnet..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Surprised Sawyer is still there though. I suppose Bauza must be playing Saturday, hence not involved tonight.

C'mon on Large - far too positive there. As you well know, the only possible explanation for him not being there last night is because he's fallen out with Parky and has signed for Dagenham & Redbridge because even tin-pot teams like them can offer better contracts than us these days.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]Surprised Sawyer is still there though. I suppose Bauza must be playing Saturday, hence not involved tonight.

C'mon on Large - far too positive there. As you well know, the only possible explanation for him not being there last night is because he's fallen out with Parky and has signed for Dagenham & Redbridge because even tin-pot teams like them can offer better contracts than us these days.

I would have said that except for the fact he was an unused sub.