Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bedford Town V Charlton Athletic ( friendly) * Match Thread *

12346»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    I would have said that except for the fact he was an unused sub.

That was just Tim Breaker in a curly wig, Bauza was really in Essex putting pen to paper on a 33p p/w contract that CAFC couldn't match and the club don't want it getting out that we've missed out on yet another top signing in case it reduces season ticket sales.
  • Options
    ....and upsets Large.
  • Options
    Bit concerned to read that Fortune got done for pace.

That ruptured tendon may have affected him. Mind you when he was a youngster I remember seeing Robert Owen of Sittingbourne (later Gravesend and Northfleet) leave him for dead in another pre season friendly and he did ok after that.

Trust in Parky (and the Club budget) I guess.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I heard last night that we won't get Fortune until someone leaves. And that came directly to my source from Parkinson, I think.

On which note ... http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Charlton-transfer-news-Jose-Semedo-set-for-Addicks-exit-article533515.html
  • Options
    Forch was never super quick though was he? Considerably quicker than Doc or Llera, but he was never exactly Richard Rufus. I guess it rather depends how quick the lad who left him for dead was?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]I heard last night that we won't get Fortune until someone leaves. And that came directly to my source from Parkinson, I think.

On which note ...http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Charlton-transfer-news-Jose-Semedo-set-for-Addicks-exit-article533515.html

Sadly it won't surprise me if he goes.

Shame though. He is proably the nearest we have to a "terrace legend" at the moment ;-(
  • Options
    I know we said we had to sell everyone... but could we please keep just one??

Just one of our players... jose....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]I heard last night that we won't get Fortune until someone leaves. And that came directly to my source from Parkinson, I think.

On which note ...http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Charlton-transfer-news-Jose-Semedo-set-for-Addicks-exit-article533515.html

There is no story there at all. I would be surprised if they let Semedo go but if they did then we can forget any chance of a top 6 place.
  • Options
    I was actually quite impressed with the keeper Conor Gough - he is about 6'6", he could catch, kick and distribute well. A penalty save is a penalty save. Just checked out his profile on the club website and he is still only 16 years old. He looked a good prospect and Parky obviously had enough confidence in him, bearing in mind his age and experience.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigPaul[/cite]I was actually quite impressed with the keeper Conor Gough - he is about 6'6", he could catch, kick and distribute well. A penalty save is a penalty save. Just checked out his profile on the club website and he is still only 16 years old. He looked a good prospect and Parky obviously had enough confidence in him, bearing in mind his age and experience.

I agree . i was impressed with him also . I'm amazed he's only 16 . He looks massive in the flesh and he makes Elliot look like an Umpa lumpa.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Now i know personally not to take some peoples comments on here to seriously when judging our players. Some of you saying Mambo is to slow and not athletic, are you frigging kidding me?The boy is an absolute powerhouse, I was at both the Kettering and Bedford games, and while Yado wasnt as impressive last night as he was on Saturday, he is still a great prospect. In the Kettering game, Mambo was defensively sound, and his willingness to get forward was brilliant. Jesus some of you lot really give players stick which they havent earnt. I can see now how so many of you jumped onto Mooneys back when the poor lad did no worse than some of the other players on the pitch.
    I think its down to you being spoilt from the Prem days, you no longer have the ability to spot future prospect in young players because your used to us having the money to buy already proven, experienced players!
    Oh and by the way, Jenkinson was absolutely brilliant in both games and he gets the nod for me at right back, absolute gem of a player!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
  • Options
    Sorry my internet went funny then, hense the double post - maybe it was the frustration!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Right, cafc_se7 .... a point of order.

I am not giving Mambo 'stick'. I am saying that I don't think he'll make a decent footballer. Mike Tyson was an "absolute powerhouse". So what? That doesn't make you a footballer.

Mambo is heavy-legged, will get given the runaround by quick skillful players, and is limited in the air. That's not stick ... just an opinion based on observation. I don't blame him for it, or expect him to snap out of it. It's just the way I see it. I hope I'm wrong.

Also, please don't analyse the way that I assess players. I've done it for years at decent level and generally don't get too many wrong. It's nothing to do with 'being spoilt from Prem days'. It's based on what I believe to be the important attributes ... and Mambo lacks many of them, in my opinion.

Revive this thread in three or four years and, if I'm wrong, I'll eat the headgear of your choice.

Same for you?
  • Options
    OK I will hold you to that, so just while your writing this lad off mate, who is your first choice right back for next season?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]OK I will hold you to that, so just while your writing this lad off mate, who is your first choice right back for next season?[/quote]

I'm with you on Jenkinson ... but haven't seen enough to convince me that he's ready for prolonged League 1 action.

So, to answer your question ... our first choice right back is still to be signed. I'd worry if it is Solly.

Do you want to make your choice of hat now or leave it for a few years? I'd like you to eat a Mexican sombrero, please.
  • Options
    Hmm il get back to you on that one. Seriously though, I understand under your opinion that he is flat footed and will get bossed all day by skillful wingers.....but the same happened to Richardson last season....he was still one of the fans favourites! What im saying is, under my opinion that Mambo isnt slow and he is athletic, which was clear for all to see on Saturday....how would he be any different to Richardson?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Not sure how you can compare Mambo to Richardson in terms of athleticism.

For me, being athletic is as much about mobility, speed of reaction, agility etc as it is about strength. You need a bit of everything. Mambo is fine in terms of pure power and muscle, but he's way down the scale in other respects. That limits how far he can go.

I haven't watched him train, but I'll guess that he's generally at the back of the pack on any endurance test and that he takes a while to get up to speed in the explosive exercises. Again, that's not giving him stick ... just recognising the physical attributes that he has and doesn't have. We're all different, and some do better in some areas, worse in others.

Scoham mentioned earlier that others with similar physique have gone on to be reasonably successful footballers That can be true ... although a few successful examples don't disprove the general point that heavy, powerful players don't make the best footballers. Mambo might be in that category but, for every Danny Shittu, I'll find you 100 failed Lenny Henrys.

Such players are generally more injury-prone too. Linvoy Primus anyone?

Anyway ... good to share opinions. But don't confuse honest assessment and criticism with 'stick'. Think about the reverse too ... ignoring obvious deficiencies in players "because they were no worse than some of the other players on the pitch."

When you think about it, that's not great praise, is it?

"Well done, lad. You were no worse than anyone else."

"Thanks, Boss."
  • Options
    When I saw Manbo last season playing for Welling he looked just as Dave described.

Strong but not alert to danger or that mobile.

V Kettering (and it was only 20 mins) he seemed to have become more comfortable in his body. He is only 18 and most likely still growing.

He was also playing FB rather than CH.

I suspect that PP was happy to give him a full game at RB to see what he was like after a good display in that position v Kettering.

Sounds like he wasn't great v Bedford.

The hard thing with young players is not recognising theplayer they are but correctly predicting the player they will become. A year out on loan in L2 or the BSP will tell us more about Mambo.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yes, I'm sure both sides of the debate i.e Dave and I agree with you on that Henry. I have to say, I do have faith in him!I mean jesus if were going to have some sort of faith in Llera, we got to have faith in Yado!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saying Mambo lacks a bit of pace and agility isn't unfair. Same could be said for a lot of centre backs including our first choice ones.

I doubt he'll even start a game at right back for us, a position you want someone that offers something going forward. I've only really seen him play centre back, but I couldn't really imagine him being a player that can put in a good cross, and I think it was Dave that said his crosses were often over hit last night. Not really surprised, he doesn't have experience playing there and having to put crosses in, and he's not a technical player.

If he makes it here I'm sure it'll be as a Danny Shittu type centre back, big, strong and solid, with the right type of defenders covering his weaknesses. Hopefully he can do that and becomes one of those players that makes the most of his ability, as many of the more reliable we've had over the years have. He might need a bit of luck along the way, injuries and suspensions so he can get a run of games, not like Wagstaff who we can give 15-20 minutes to at the end of a league match.

If he doesn't make it here, as I said before I wouldn't write him off working his way back up. Though a lot of that would be down to him having the right attitude and working at his game, not wanting to settle for non-league football.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]Yes, I'm sure both sides of the debate i.e Dave and I agree with you on that Henry. I have to say, I do have faith in him!I mean jesus if were going to have some sort of faith in Llera, we got to have faith in Yado![/quote]

Agreed. I would like to be wrong about him, but blind faith isn't enough.

I liked the look of Gough last night, if that helps!