Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Films that make men cry

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]The last episode of Extra's always gets me.

Don't see how Toy Story 3 can make anyone cry.

As for films, I'm gonna show myself up and sayP.S I Love You. Got forced into watching this a while back by the girlfriend and as much as I tried not to, I couldn't keep the tears away!

The realisation for some people who saw the original film ( or took their young Children ) in 1995 that now , they are older or their Children are now in their late teens or older is a sad sobering thought that those times have gone so quickly and the same is the case for the toys when they realise Andy has outgrown them.

When i saw this nearly everyone was weeping. ( thank god for the 3D glasses 1) Perhaps you have to be a parent to get the emotion of it. Ever since i have had kids it makes you look at the world in whole different way and that goes for movies too.
    Watch it and see for yourself.
  • Options
    Awakenings and Patch Adams
  • Options
    No comment!
  • Options
    A Beautiful Mind
    Field of Dreams
    Bicentennial Man (my daughter hates me for crying during this one in particular!)

Goodbye Mr Chips and Empire of the Sun...I'm with you guys there!

I could go on...
  • Options
    Is Anybody There - The film from last year starring Michael Cain is another.
  • Options
    "A Little Princess", right at the end when she is being dragged away from her father.
    Gets me every time.
    Seem to remember that "Lion King" got me as well but I can't recall which bit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]I really love all of Mike Leighs films, am I the only addick who does?

Can't say I've come close to blubbing in any of those, but for pathos and character depiction, they're tops.
    Mike Leigh films? .......Love 'em!

Saw his TV film the other week, "Nuts in May", again featuring his then missus, Alison Steadman.
    Fantastic character play, and at times truly cringeworthy - but compelling all the same.

Let's all sing along together: "I want to go to the zoo, she said, I want to go to the zoo .......".
  • Options
    My wedding video... not tears of joy lol!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]With all the recent furore about Toy Story 3 supposedly reducing grown men to gibbering heaps (I've seen it - didn't make me even whimper, though it was excellent), have any Lifers got films that always make them cry? You know - films where you watch them and tell yourself that you won't cry, no matter what... but always end up bawling?

I'll start it off - there are two for me. The first isn't actually a film, but, bizarrely, an episode of Futurama. Anyone who watches the show will know the episode I mean - it's the one with Fry's dog. The end scene makes me blub every time - it's fantastically well done.

Equally as bizarre is my reaction to the film 'Silent Running' - seventies sci-fi hokum with Bruce Dern about the last forests on Earth being sent into space to save them, but the company charged with their upkeep pulling the plug because it's too expensive to keep them running. There are three little robots in the film - I won't spoil the ending for anyone lame enough to want to see it, but suffice it to say that, no matter how many times I see it, I can't help crying.

Hewie, Dewie and Lewie...

:-)

For me bizzarely (in my eyes anyway) its Philadelphia...watched it twice and Ive never seen the end, the first time I watched it I have to say that no film had ever made me feel quite so wrecked, I locked myself in the bathroom I found it so upsetting....also as someone else mentioned, the wheat field in Gladiator.....Up was lump in the throat material too, brilliant film.

The time travellers wife had me searching the cinema ceiling towards the end too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]I really love all of Mike Leighs films, am I the only addick who does?

Can't say I've come close to blubbing in any of those, but for pathos and character depiction, they're tops.
    Mike Leigh films? .......Love 'em!

Saw his TV film the other week, "Nuts in May", again featuring his then missus, Alison Steadman.
    Fantastic character play, and at times truly cringeworthy - but compelling all the same.

Let's all sing along together: "I want to go to the zoo, she said, I want to go to the zoo .......".

Yeah Oggy....Candice Marie....great film, new one out soon I understand....loved Happy Go Lucky, he works with fantastic actors.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Armageddon when she says something like thats your dad his a hero............remeinds me of evil ex wife and children !!
  • Options
    Lion King is the only film thats ever made me eyes watery! The bit where Simba is left all alone after the stampede and finds his dad dead..still gets me now.
  • Options
    Lot's of films have brought a tear to my eye, but only two have ever had me outright blubbing:

Silent Running and Up (cried twice at this one).
  • Options
    Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]Lion King is the only film thats ever made me eyes watery! The bit where Simba is left all alone after the stampede and finds his dad dead..still gets me now.

Seconded...
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Silent Running and Goodbye Mr Chips: seconded.

Took my wife to see Lion King and the sheer joy on her face during the opening number made me blub.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Quite a few films have made me cry, but La Vie En Rose devastated me for days, especially as it was a true story. I want to watch it again sometime but I know it will still be painful. As I'm female I'm guessing my contribution is not valid so feel free to delete if neccersary.
  • Options
    Cling..... Its the only film that makes me cry. Everytime i try to get a bit off the bloody roll.
  • Options
    Green mile and Marley and Me
  • Options
    Saw, Saw 2, and Christine.
    Get me every time these!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Forrest Gump made me shed a couple. Lord of the Rings, the Return of the King, that got me weeping too.

Conversely I laughed at the end of Titanic.
  • Options
    The Outsiders

(When Johnny [Ralph Macchio] then Dallas [Matt Dillon] die)! Sniff!
  • Options
    Mask. The one with Cher not Jim Carey
  • Options
    Good thread.

Sadly, I'd have to admit to Casablanca, every time.

Various others I can't remember, but I always try to hide it anyway.

My brother-in-law cracks at the end of Homeward Bound.
    Maybe a dog lovers thing?
  • Options
    The Green Mile and Seven Pounds (Will Smith) highly recommend it, absolutely brilliant film but an extreme tearjerker!
  • Options
    The Champ for me
  • Options
    Brians Song
    Click
    Goal ( cheesy , but at the end when he finds out his dad watched him play a pro game)
  • Options
    Marley and me, christ i had to walk out the room it got that bad, i hid it all from the missus. :)

Click is also another, great film.

I am gonna get a copy of Up and watch it now, i let my kids watch it a while back but never watched it myself.
  • Options
    May not be a tear-jerker but the most moving film I've ever seen is The Deer Hunter.
  • Options
    Hard Candy.