Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

9/11 - Where were you?

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    i was on a plane to new york with work friends for an afternoon meeting in the wtc.

the pilot announced that american airspace was closed and that we had to land in the first available airport which was to be stephenville (similar to biggin hill)in newfoundland.he was unable to give any other details at that point.the plane had credit card phones so was able to ring home and hear the news from my wife who was frantic with worry.

we were kept on the runway for 18 hours while all the other planes were looked after and eventually we were taken off last as our plane had the most spare seats for us and then processed by the canadian red cross who were brilliant and we were given small necessities.wasn't till we were in cornerbrook another few hours after getting off the plane that we saw for the first time the horror of what the rest of the world had been watching continuously for the previous 24 hours.

being an american airline, it had to return to their own u.s. airport once the skies were open,so we had to stay in newfie till saturday where we were really well looked after until newark was opened again.managed to get on a virgin plane home,and from the terminal you could see new york's skyline,but with billowing smoke replacing the twin towers.

security was cranked to the max,nearly had to write an essay on why i should be allowed on the flight back home,and once sitting down, everyone was looking to see who was on the plane with them.if anyone made the slightest move,then the whole plane was ready to take them down.
    Just read this tale again 17 years on @ThreadKiller

Does that day feel 22 years ago now?

My missus dragged me to a musical about a small town in Newfoundland where all the planes were diverted to on 9/11. It was about how the population of the town was multiplied by 5 overnight and how the town came together to support everyone. Guessing this is what it was about! Musical was called come from away, quite cleverly put together and an interesting story.