Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life's ultimate " Crap Towns" list.

Comments

• Options
    Lincoln.

I live in Beckenham.
  • Options
    Lincoln? What's wrong with Lincoln.
  • Options
    I live in Chelmsford, so if anyone knows a crap town when they see one, it's me (actually, it's alright now... but back in the 90s it was a bob hole)
  • Options
    i live in west ealing currently
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Anyone posting on here should declare where they live .. after all, people who live in glass cities ....

Wargrave in Berkshire. Will never leave.

Perhaps we should have a thread for the nicest parts of the country to live. This would be right up there

• Options

Newton Abbot - beautifully situated, horribly populated

This is an interesting one. Places that are beautiful (not that Newton Abbot is, but it is beautifully *situated* like you say), but the people who live there are either insular jumped up morons or complete inbreds. Salisbury in Wiltshire is a case in point. Rich area, picture-postcard city (tho size of a town), but horrendously f***d up occupants in every way!

• Options
    Bristol I love as a city itself (nothing more beautiful than the downs and the Avon Gorge, Clifton etc), but the attitude of the yokel underclass there has to be seen to be believed. A Saturday night out has a horrible undercurrent of nastiness/violence!
  • Options
    Jesus Christ! Reading this it looks like 90% of towns in the UK are designated shit holes by the CL aficionados!

There are some good calls here, in all my years following Charlton the worst place I ever went to was Stoke, in 1996 you could buy a house there for £6,500....and that was on the nice side of town!
  • Options

Anyone posting on here should declare where they live .. after all, people who live in glass cities ....

Agree with this....Hastings often gets slagged off on these types of threads, I'll defend it to the hilt as I choose to live here and if your in the right part of town it's a great place to live.
  • Options
    boggzy said:

This is an interesting one. Places that are beautiful (not that Newton Abbot is, but it is beautifully *situated* like you say), but the people who live there are either insular jumped up morons or complete inbreds. Salisbury in Wiltshire is a case in point. Rich area, picture-postcard city (tho size of a town), but horrendously f***d up occupants in every way!

I'd say tunbridge wells is up there. Filled with massive snobs and wannabe shoreditch/brighton types that live in tunbridge wells but get the bus to brighton every day just to hang out. Really pretty round the pantiles though and decent shops
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Every town has good parts and bad parts. Every town has good people and not so good people.
  • Options
    I've heard it all now.

Only in the parallel universe that is Charlton Life could places like Salisbury and Royal Tunbridge Wells make the list of "Crap Towns".

And I was born in Lewisham and brought up in Catford, so I think I'm qualified to know.
  • Options

boggzy said:

I'd say tunbridge wells is up there. Filled with massive snobs and wannabe shoreditch/brighton types that live in tunbridge wells but get the bus to brighton every day just to hang out. Really pretty round the pantiles though and decent shops
    Interesting point that, when the wife commutes upto London for work (only in the winter...she takes the entire summer off) she thinks the same of those Tunbrdge Wells types.
  • Options

Posted By: nth london addick
    Woolwich the town of my birth the stomping ground of my youth the one place i truely will always call home

the place i visit weekly to visit my dear mummy

Woolwich is bloody brilliant and nothing to be fearful or worried about

yes it has seen a decline and yes my own 100 yeard old school has been torn down and is being replaced with a new build .

but it is far from a crap town

still no takers then

by the way does this mean i do not need a tour as i reckopn i could show you around it a lot better than you could show me

do you know where the caves are in woolwich

NLA - I've heard about the caves - but where exactly are they? Nearish Burrage Road?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I've heard it all now.

Only in the parallel universe that is Charlton Life could places like Salisbury and Royal Tunbridge Wells make the list of "Crap Towns".

And I was born in Lewisham and brought up in Catford, so I think I'm qualified to know.

By all means T wells is a really nice place to live, just I'm glad I'm glad I've effectively moved out of there now. Great place to grow up and raise a family, not so much when you're a 22 year old.
  • Options
    Orpington- towards St Pauls/St Marys Cray

For Lics
    I live Locksbottom, not the best of areas but better than the rest of Orpington
  • Options
    boggzy said:

St Albans is overrated although not a people issue per se. Has a lovely small historic area but otherwise you could be anywhere and the traffic is abysmal (yet people pay the equivalent of a small country's GDP to live there). Has two pound shops next door to each other on the High St.
  • Options

Every town has good parts and bad parts. Every town has good people and not so good people.

Very true...and some people only look at the negatives, probably says as much about them as the place they are moaning about.
  • Options
    I went to Battle on Saturday and thought it was rather lovely. Not just a decent town but, of course, a magnificent abbey, 1066 battlefield etc. Looked like a few good boozers and restaurants too. Recommended.
  • Options

Croydon said:

Redhill, Surrey.

This. Absolutely this. Living in Reigate, they're only two miles apart in distance, but light years apart in class. The absolute scum around the station and town centre have to be seen to be believed.
    I scanned this thread looking for Redhill. Went to school there. It's gone backwards over the years to the extent that when I visited last week, I took a walk around in a state of awe at how scummy it has become. Last time I was there was when I was looking for my stolen property. Plenty of shops willing to sell it on.

Looking to buy in Reigate, but flatly refuse to go anywhere near the Redhill border, even if it saves heaps of cash!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Carlise I really didn't like it there

Ramsgate

I thought Carlisle was really nice.

I'll add Blackburn, devoid of any soul.

and

Oldham, Greater Manc authorities could do with slinging a bit of dosh at the town.

• Options

Very true...and some people only look at the negatives, probably says as much about them as the place they are moaning about.
    You've never been to Redhill, that much is clear.
  • Options

Tescos has destroyed Orpington High Street, which got a mention in the Daily Mail recently. How they didn't see that coming I'll never know. I think Thresher's closed down whilst they were still building it!

Orpington High Street must be the best place around for a choice of restaurants. Looks more alive down there than I'd ever known it.
  • Options
    the caves that we used to go into not sure if there were anymore

were underneath st peters school you used to access them from Anglesea rd behind the old wooded bit and all the way the edge of the school grounds in the far corner was a crack and you used to be able to go inside and into the caves
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Croydon said:

Redhill, Surrey.

This. Absolutely this. Living in Reigate, they're only two miles apart in distance, but light years apart in class. The absolute scum around the station and town centre have to be seen to be believed.
    I scanned this thread looking for Redhill. Went to school there. It's gone backwards over the years to the extent that when I visited last week, I took a walk around in a state of awe at how scummy it has become. Last time I was there was when I was looking for my stolen property. Plenty of shops willing to sell it on.

Looking to buy in Reigate, but flatly refuse to go anywhere near the Redhill border, even if it saves heaps of cash!!
    Used to work in Reigate at a firm that had relocated from it's "historical" office in Redhill simply because of the downturn in the quality of the population.

Being a South London lad and given the utter snobbishness of native Reigatians I treated this attitude with the contempt I thought it deserved until I had to go to a client meeting in the aforementioned Redhill.

By Christ I don't think I have ever seen a social divide like it, as mentioned above Reigate and Redhill are physically two miles apart but exist in parallel universes. It doesn't end there either most towns around Redhill are prosperous (Merstham for example) and perfectly OK but Redhill is the definitive carbunkle on the arse of the world, and only because of the bottom feeeding pond life that live there.

P.S I put historical in quotes because the firm was formed in Redhill in 1995!

• Options

Tescos has destroyed Orpington High Street, which got a mention in the Daily Mail recently. How they didn't see that coming I'll never know. I think Thresher's closed down whilst they were still building it!

Orpington High Street must be the best place around for a choice of restaurants. Looks more alive down there than I'd ever known it.
    I think Petts Wood has a better choice only a mile up the road.
    I would agree with FoD, Tescos put the final nail in the coffin for the high street, also M&S leaving did no favors.
  • Options

I would agree with FoD, Tescos put the final nail in the coffin for the high street, also M&S leaving did no favors.
    I think Petts Wood has 4 Indians now?
  • Options

I think Petts Wood has 4 Indians now?
    Can they make a tribe???
  • Options

Petts Wood does have some decent places too. But compare Orpington to Welling, Eltham, Sidcup, etc and it has far better choice of places to eat. For anything else though it's a dump, but then Orpington High St has always been shit.

• Options
    JWADDICK said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Croydon said:

Redhill, Surrey.

Used to work in Reigate at a firm that had relocated from it's "historical" office in Redhill simply because of the downturn in the quality of the population.

Being a South London lad and given the utter snobbishness of native Reigatians I treated this attitude with the contempt I thought it deserved until I had to go to a client meeting in the aforementioned Redhill.

There is massive snobbery in Reigate, 'tis true. Often unfounded. But I've schooled, lived and worked in Redhill over the years, and frankly, give me a wax jacket and call me Percy if it means living next to the Priory and not the Cromwell estate!

I don't know as much as maybe I should about the history of the area, but Redhill is on the London-to-Brighton line, whereas Reigate is set apart somewhat, tied closer to Dorking and Leatherhead. I've always assumed the divide is something to do with that. I'd be interested to know more really. As long as I don't have to go to the Harlequin library to find out.