Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life's ultimate " Crap Towns" list.

Comments

• Options
    Jaywick is like a refugee camp. Loads of crap towns in Essex, mainly on the Thames estuary. Laindon, pittsea, basildon... Total dumps
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The centre of Dartford has declined steadily each year in my opinion since my first work visit for a week or two annually 30 odd years ago.

I accept that the advent of Bluewater probably hasn't helped.
  • Options
    Kings Lynn.
  • Options

I'd like to nominate Harpurhey.
    Had the displeasure of staying there when we played man city a few years ago.
    The "hotel" had a perimeter wall that would've been more of a challenge to those 6 greenpeace women than the shard.
    During our stay I was propositioned by a girl who couldn't have been older than 13.
    There were more drugs available than when I visited Amsterdam.
    We were ordered by the landlady of a local pub to get a taxi back to the hotel as it wasn't safe. It wasn't even a 5 minute walk.
    There was a body discovered in the boot of a car parked about 50 yards from our hotel.
    We were only there 2 nights.
    There was probably a nicer ambience in nearby HMP Strangeways than the streets of Harpurhey.

And within an hour of me posting........
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-23487644

• Options
    Luton - hands down the shittiest town in our fair land.
    Special mentions to Redcar, Cleethorpes, Dewsbury and Hull.
    For the international jet setters - Rotterdam.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

The centre of Dartford has declined steadily each year in my opinion since my first work visit for a week or two annually 30 odd years ago.

I accept that the advent of Bluewater probably hasn't helped.

Lived in Dartford (89-95) certainly wasn't helped by Lakeside and Bluewater.
  • Options
    You can add Tesco as well to that list regarding Dartford. Completely destroyed Lowfield Street, backtracked on their plans and have only now started to look at the redevelopment.
  • Options
    Tescos has destroyed Orpington High Street, which got a mention in the Daily Mail recently. How they didn't see that coming I'll never know. I think Thresher's closed down whilst they were still building it!
  • Options
    St-Leonards-on-sea not really a town but a total dump just off the high street and the area near it.
  • Options
    Blackpool is a good shout, depressing place locked in the 1970s/80s filled with absolute wrong uns. Don't think I saw a single attractive/normal person whilst I was up there for work.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hatfield. The people there just don't look right. The town centre is the very definition of urban decay. It's like the scene of a dystopian novel.
  • Options

Jaywick is the winner, Jesus Christ!

Just had a look on Google map. Looks no worse than somewhere like Slade Green.
  • Options

Precisely :-)
  • Options
    Margate is pretty depressing, going down there on a Saturday in July a couple of years ago, it felt more like November, really tired and run down, and full of social security people dumped in the area...Broadstairs, which is only down the road, was light years apart in atmosphere.

Blackpool is grim, especially off season, though my mood wasn't helped by watching Charlton being stuffed in a howling gale!

It's a bit of a pattern really, rundown seaside resorts, add Rhyl to the list...

To be fair, most towns have grim areas, but usually they can be avoided.
  • Options
    Chatham
    Woolwich
  • Options

No chance.
  • Options

Chatham
    Woolwich

Swanley!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Shoreditch, Camden, Clapham, Brighton and all the other hipster shitholes. It hurts me not only mentally but physically to go into those places. my stomach turns at the sight of those flip flop wearing, "alternative" thinking, rekorderlig swigging red jeaned opinionated "culturally enlightened" jumped up little tossers.
  • Options
    loving the reverse snobbery on this thread
  • Options
    Redhill, Surrey.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:

Redhill, Surrey.

This. Absolutely this. Living in Reigate, they're only two miles apart in distance, but light years apart in class. The absolute scum around the station and town centre have to be seen to be believed.
  • Options
    Sheerness.
  • Options

Shoreditch, Camden, Clapham, Brighton and all the other hipster shitholes. It hurts me not only mentally but physically to go into those places. my stomach turns at the sight of those flip flop wearing, "alternative" thinking, rekorderlig swigging red jeaned opinionated "culturally enlightened" jumped up little tossers.

Well said! I think I mentioned Shoreditch earlier on the thread. The type of people who have ruined festivals and go out in vests
  • Options
    Three options:
    Basingstoke, Basingstoke and Basingstoke
  • Options
    Hemel Hempstead

no one there has full mobility - the entire population seems to be "special" in some way.
  • Options
    Chatham
    Gillingham
    Margate - The official dumping ground for all the immigrants, the homeless disabled, those in care, and the druggies they all have no pot to piss in which has led to the Town having the highest crime rate in Kent.

Actually no need to list just Half of Kent possibly half of Essex maybe even half of the UK.
  • Options
    Anyone posting on here should declare where they live .. after all, people who live in glass cities ....
  • Options

Sheerness.

Agree. Only been there once to play football, strange old place.
  • Options

Anyone posting on here should declare where they live .. after all, people who live in glass cities ....

Wargrave in Berkshire. Will never leave.

• Options
    Leysdown.

Had a job to do there at what used to be holiday villas and which have now been coverted into "residential" properties and all a stones throw from the arcades etc.

Jesus, how I came out of there alive and with my car still in tact, I'll never know.

Erith-hate the place