Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life's ultimate " Crap Towns" list.

Comments

• Options
    TELTEL
    edited September 2010
    I was in Gloucester a month ago. Although a serious amount of money has been spent to improve the area around the docks in particular, there was a serous undercurrent of potential unpleasantness about the place.
  • Options
    @Valley_floyd_red

Uttoxeter is allright, home to one of the nicest racecourse's in the UK. I have to admit the town centre is a bit rough, and there seem to be a lot tramps around there too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Bucharest

For the way the city looks I agree but I had a brilliant time here and met some great people
  • Options
    A Stoke-on-Trent MP said he would invite Prince Philip to the city after Tony Blair claimed in his book the prince once described it as "ghastly".

So Stoke has the priveldege of a Royal warrant 'crap town' ......

The definition is: adjective ghastlier -·lier, ghastliest -·li·est. horrible; frightful; ghostlike; pale; haggard; Informal very bad or unpleasant.

Or in more popular parlence: 'shit hole' : taken from the term 'crap' Vulgar Slang . n. Excrement. An act of defecating. Foolish, deceitful, or boastful language. Cheap or shoddy material.......

I think we get the 'drift', obviously not top of the Duke's holiday destination, with her indoors!
  • Options
    Few people have mentioned Shoreditch, for sure there are some knobheads but it is no way up there with the other places on this list. I quite like the creativity of it tbh.
  • Options
    crap towns...the whole of north London.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]crap towns...the whole of north London.

Pretty much agree with that as i work there .

I'm not sure if Romford has been mentioned but it has to go on my list.
  • Options
    I've a feeling I my have posted on this thread already but I can't find it so here's my contribution;

1. Uttoxeter. I worked one winter on a theming job in Alton towers and we were housed in a hotel in Uttoxeter. An absolute kackhole of a place with a name like a sheep disease.
    2. Scunthorpe. Just dreadful on every level.
    3. Any town in South Wales.
    4. Tottenham. Definably one of the worst places on earth.
    5. Aberdeen. Why would anyone live there? Destitute, barren, freezing bloody cold all the time, hopeless and you can't understand a word people are saying to you.
    6. The East end of London. It always makes me laugh when people from the east end go on about how great it is to live there. It's a dump without redemption.
    7. Rotherham. It's like a really crap version of Sheffield.
    8. Liverpool. If you took Tottenham and made it just a little bit worse, moved it somewhere cold where it rained all the time and gave it more of an attitude problem you'd have Liverpool.
    9. Birmingham. All of the attributes of Liverpool but with added inferiority complex.
    10. Hull. I got stuck there once after missing a ferry to Holland, I vowed never to return.
  • Options
    kent or wales
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]I've a feeling I my have posted on this thread already but I can't find it so here's my contribution;

1. Uttoxeter. I worked one winter on a theming job in Alton towers and we were housed in a hotel in Uttoxeter. An absolute kackhole of a place with a name like a sheep disease.
    2. Scunthorpe. Just dreadful on every level.
    3. Any town in South Wales.
    4. Tottenham. Definably one of the worst places on earth.
    5. Aberdeen. Why would anyone live there? Destitute, barren, freezing bloody cold all the time, hopeless and you can't understand a word people are saying to you.
    6. The East end of London. It always makes me laugh when people from the east end go on about how great it is to live there. It's a dump without redemption.
    7. Rotherham. It's like a really crap version of Sheffield.
    8. Liverpool. If you took Tottenham and made it just a little bit worse, moved it somewhere cold where it rained all the time and gave it more of an attitude problem you'd have Liverpool.
    9. Birmingham. All of the attributes of Liverpool but with added inferiority complex.
    10. Hull. I got stuck there once after missing a ferry to Holland, I vowed never to return.

Re No.8 Absolutly spot on. Stayed up there for a weekend back in the summer. Deptford is Utopia compared to that hole.
    People up there bang on about its culture and what "happening" place it is, they should look at London, they would never big Liverpool up again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've only just seen this thread and Addick1965 has said the two I was thinking when I saw the title:
    [cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]I forgot
    Milton Keynes
    Coventry

Coventry takes some beating....just a vast mass of concrete and teenage mums. The place is one big council estate.

Can't say I'm a massive fan of Milton Keynes either, if you want to live in an American city, move to America.

Whoever mentioned Corby has made a good shout too. An industrial wasteland if ever there was one.

Also Middlesbrough, you can pick up a 4 bedroom house for £2,000, and was voted by Location, Location, Location as the worst place to live in England!
  • Options
    Newport.
  • Options
    Southend, rundown area with REAL bitchy teenage girls
  • Options
    Except one though x
  • Options
    swansea, nuneaton, ashford, bletchley, dunstable, scarborough, blackpool and hull
  • Options
    I like Liverpool. I like places like Bradford too. I think that 'challenging' places often have the most character and some very interesting people. Agree about the East End of London, though. The place is a toilet!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Te He. OMG Shoreditch I quite like the creativity of it..... What Venture Capitalists sons, and private equity ponces buying up buildings to put up little Tommy's art work. Hmm I quite liked it when locals still run some of the businesses and YBA's couldn't afford anywhere else. If creative is shit skulls with diamonds on then come on down George Michael.

I like Bradford the architechture is stunning, and crumbling. Little Germany is quality. Having said that if you lived there it's full of work shy scum.
  • Options
    West Bromwich didn't look too picturesque on the tv the other day. Once the tories start chucking out the 'liabilities' as they seem to deem them into the provences i think you're going to see some new 'crap towns' emerging. I can see a 'crap town' becoming a recognised term, like a 'New town' or 'Metropolitan Village' is a term. An 'Osbourne Crap Town'.
  • Options
    The way Bexleyheath has deteriorated over the last 10-15 years It is on taget to be on top of everyones list in 2015!
    I travel the country daily and my first 10 places to close down and delete it from the A-Z would be:

1. Merthyr Tidvyl - absolute hole, was bad before the mines closed, now 40% unemployment. Bigger hole than the closed mines
    2. Barrow in Furness - Sellafield brightens the place up (in more ways than one).
    3. Dover, Folkestone, Margate. (jointly) the latter just got forgetten about by the council. Now handed over to the Eastern Europeans of course.
    4. Woolwich - If possible I break all driving laws to get out of that place. Again never an oil painting but I find the deterioration unbelieveable - even taking into consideration the posher ex-arsenal development.
    5. Luton
    6. Rotheram and most of Sheffield - The sat nav always diverts me away - enough said
    7. Lots of Glasgow - like a previous post said - cant remember what towns but avoid it like the plague it is.
    8. Gillingham - same comments as others
    9. The Bronx (Thamesmead) - oh include Erith in that as well.
    10. Burnley - Should this god awful place really be in England?
  • Options
    Margate is like the place that time forgot, the seafront is so depressing. So many boarded up shops and businesses. Not to mention the old dreamland.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Peckham.
  • Options
    Margate is like the place that time forgot, the seafront is so depressing. So many boarded up shops and businesses. Not to mention the old dreamland.
    I find the misery and destitution of Margate has taken it to another level. It's like a case study in everything that can go wrong in Britain. People there probably watch EastEnders to cheer themselves up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]

I find the misery and destitution of Margate has taken it to another level. It's like a case study in everything that can go wrong in Britain. People there probably watch EastEnders to cheer themselves up.

You have to feel for the residents, sure it never used to be like that. Went there to watch a Frankie Boyle gig at The Winter Gardens which is actually quite a nice venue but any comic playing Margate has so much free material, especialy when someone described Kent as the Garden of England.
  • Options
    If Kent is the Garden of England, Margate is the bit at the back where the compost bin is hidden.
  • Options
    Agree on Margate, absolute dump, same goes for Dover, but Folkestone is a bit better than both, has some beautiful areas, particularly around the Leas and the town centre is not too grim. Bit of private money being spent their as well as public, so should be decent in the future. It could do with sorting out the harbour/sea front area and it could have a promising future. Also agree with comments about Bradford, been there quite a lot with work in the last couple of years and I quite like it, plenty of character, though it gets worse the further you get from the town centre.

Thamesmead has no redeeming features at all. It has even managed to go downhill steadily without fail since it was built. I blame my dad as he worked on the build for 15 years. When it was first built, the area round the lake, including the adventure playground were excellent for kids, but as usual the people dragged the area down to the base level it finds itself today.

Merthyr Tydfill was more a steel town than mining and now is probably the worst town in the UK.
  • Options
    Greymouth, West Coast of South Island, New Zealand. Anyone who's been there will know what I mean.
  • Options
    Dover is just plain awful.
  • Options
    Agree again on Margate, it is just a sad case.

Remember buying a combined train/get into Dreamland ticket years back regularly. To see how it has deteriorated over the years is an eye opener.

Same could be said for loads of seaside/port towns. Desolate flea pits now.

Oh and Erith. Needs wiping out (as do most of the people living there).
  • Options
    Had a good laugh reading through this and hard to disagree.

I was a bit surprised to see no mentions for Aldershot (the arsehole of England), Weymouth (like Lewisham by the sea) or Stoke Newington.

Derry is pretty grim as well.
  • Options
    I'd have to say Bermondsey and Crystal Palace. No particular reason just think they're dumps hehe.
    On a serious note I'd say Middlesborough or Preston on personal experiences.