Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life's ultimate " Crap Towns" list.

Comments

• Options
    Stoke on trent
    Gillingham
    Basildon
    Erith
    Bexleyheath
    Woolwich
    Croydon
    Middlesbrough
    Hull
  • Options
    Nuneaton

Fenland
  • Options
    Kosovo.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Shoreditch, want to be artists trendy rich kids and thieves.

Agreed - I f*cking hate Shoreditch and the people there.
  • Options
    WALTHAMSTOW by a mile
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I travel all over the Uk for my work, but I have to say without doubt, the five most horrible shite holes I've had the misfortune to visit are:

1) Hyton in Liverpool - I was working aroun the back of a housing estate. 50% of the houses were empty with boarded windows. On said boards were stickers saying 'All items of value have been removed from this property'. Fortunately we were working inside a locked, fence compound otherwise I'd have wanted armed security gaurds!

2) Barry Island - The high street went - kebab Shop, charity shop, kebab shop, charity shop ... etc, etc and was populated solely by scally teenagers and Gavins in their 'suped-up' Novas, Fiestas, Saxos etc.

3) Runcorn - Think Milton Keynes new town meets Liverpool housing estate (see item 1). The chemical plant actually improves the view (and the smell).

4) Newport - Are you picking up a regional pattern here?

5) Handsworth in Birmingham - Not quite as rough as the other places but an area filled with depressing atmosphere of hoplessness and despair. I actually had someone come up to whilst on site and try to sell me some watches out of a suitcase, Del-Boy style.
  • Options
    Great Yarmouth - if ever a town needed the words 'Not' and 'very' at the beginning, this is it.
  • Options
    Weston Super Mare - beautiful beach but the town is a dump populated by alkies

Prestatyn - seemed to be full of gangs of hoodies roaming around looking for someone to rob, I decided to drive straight through and not stop!

Alcudia in Majorca - lots of canals in an attempt to be like Venice but full of fat northerners drinking beer for breakfast
  • Options
    Sheerness, Sittingbourne, Chatham, Strood, Gillingham.... so basically the area where I'm trying to sell my house. Medway really is an absolute miserable, zombie filled, sh*thole of the highest order!
  • Options
    newquay, skegness, leysdown, dartford, barnsley, burnley, milton keynes, brixham
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Wilma[/cite]

Alcudia in Majorca - lots of canals in an attempt to be like Venice but full of fat northerners drinking beer for breakfast

This made me laugh, i've been there and its exactly as described.
  • Options
    If you take into account culture and architecture, I would nominate Bexleyheath.

Which at present seems to be trying to do a 'Woolwich'. Without an art gallery, concert hall,theatre and only having the red house (which it does not fund) as having any merit in a building context.
    Life for the would be chav is wonderful , with bars, and pizza, kebab joints a plenty...... The empty shops along the broadway give testement to a town in decline. The shops that are there, can be found elsewhere, so there is hardly a need to go there specifically. I see that Chatham and Dartford have mentions as well, not really surprised.
  • Options
    Reading the other thread reminded me - Swansea / The Mumbles. Hellhole.
  • Options
    Steve
    What happened to you in Phuket?
    Do you mean Phuket Town or one of the beach towns?
    Phuket Town is one of the greatest playgrounds on earth.
  • Options
    If we are going international.

Lima - the whole city centre smells of urine. Only place I have ever got first bus out after arrival.
    Agra - see the Taj Mahal and get out, even the primates have attitude.
    Delhi (Connaught Place) - seeing people heating up their brown in broad daylight was enough for me.
    Datong (China) - open cast coal mine, but lovely people.
    Phnum Pehn - depressing on every level.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]Brighton. Full of wanna be artists/musicians who think the world owes them a living. Massive Heroin problems. London by the sea???

That's as maybe but you can't really call it a crap town.

Basildon's a good shout
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]seeing people heating up their brown in broad daylight was enough for me.
    That used to always happen at Brixton station, the tracks used to be covered in needles and you had to step over junkies on the stairs. Horrible place.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]seeing people heating up their brown in broad daylight was enough for me.
    That used to always happen at Brixton station, the tracks used to be covered in needles and you had to step over junkies on the stairs. Horrible place.

Oddly I kind of like Brixton though, good clubbing if you know who to avoid.
  • Options
    sutton
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]Brighton. Full of wanna be artists/musicians who think the world owes them a living. Massive Heroin problems. London by the sea???[/quote]

Basildon's a good shout
    '
    Better not talk about hard drug's Vinnie, otherwise someone might mention the 'coke ' used in so many of the places mentioned here!.......

Must admit that Brighton looked very 'seedy' two weeks ago when I visited it, but does at least have some charm and uniqueness , albeit wrapped up in wanna be artists as you claim.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]

It's a decent place for clubbing but move away from the high street and it's a different picture, check out these flats.
  • Options
    Grays.
    Paris.
    Tilbury
    Paris
    Erith
    Paris
  • Options
    Norwood
    Bermondsey

Invercargill - the arsehole of the world
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Gillingham
    Margate
    Chatham
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]

It's a decent place for clubbing but move away from the high street and it's a different picturecheck out these flats.[/url]

The flats aren't that bad FoD, you could find a lot worse all over Brixton. Try off Coldharbour Lane, used to have a girlfriend who lived around there, now that was dodgy.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]Brighton. Full of wanna be artists/musicians who think the world owes them a living. Massive Heroin problems. London by the sea???

Basildon's a good shout

Sorry Crap town IMHO.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]If you take into account culture and architecture, I would nominate Bexleyheath.

If you are going to nominate Bexleyheath as one of the worst towns in the UK then i will assume that you have never been any further than, Bexleyheath !

And it didn't stop you going shopping there with one of your lads two Saturday's ago Ken (i called your name but you were chatting and went straight past me !)
  • Options
    Reading the list, in some places it obviously depends which part of town you are in, if adrian thinks Brussels is a shit hole, he either has standards higher than the Queen, or he is blind as well as homophobic. The centre is beautiful! The financial area is ugly and modern, as it tends to be wherever you go, but the Grande Place, the Palace and the Art Nouveau houses are stunning.
  • Options
    Surprised there's not much mention of Peckham, New Cross, Lambeth and Brixton...truly awful places with lots of high rise flats and hardly any trees. I won't mention East Ham etc.
  • Options
    Jayajosh
    They arent mentioned due to the division caused by the ''London is the greatest/no it isnt'' thread running elsewhere
    You are right though, and throw in Deptford and Lewisham in the mix