Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Life's ultimate " Crap Towns" list.

Comments

• 1) by a mile Croydon
    2) Sittingbourne
    3) Gillingham
    4) Sheerness
    5) Basildon
    6) Luton
    7) Staines
    8) Corby
    9) Sunderland & Middlesborough are tied at nine
    10) Cosham
  • Honourable mentions to Romford and Purley too
  • When I was a kid, I thought Bromley was posh. I'm from Dartford.
  • Kidbrooke ......... topped off by that piece de resistance, the Ferrier Estate.

North Prospect in Plymouth. Even the locals refer to it as 'No Prospect'.

Trouble is, it seems nearly every town these days has it's ghetto. Look what's happened to Woolwich, for example?
  • hastings
    hyne bay
    slough
    kidbrook
  • Redcar
    Barnsley
    Oldham
    Sunderland
    Brindisi (not sure how you spell it - Southern Italy)
    Lloret de Mar (Spain)
  • Luton, gravesend, milton keynes, slough and wolverhampton are my top 5.
  • Sunderland is not a town so yar boo sucks...
  • Chavham, Middlesbrough, Bradford, Calais, Dar Es Salaam (Tanzania) Bratislava, Miami
  • Someone mentioned Burnley .......if it's not on your list, you've evidently not been there.

The population has reduced from 100,000 to 70,000, they demolished most of their architectural landmark buildings in the 1960s and then demolished a further swathe of the town to allow the motorway through, neatly dividing the place in half.

Add racial tension, huge unemployment, and the highest burglary figures per head of population in the UK.
    Just about the lowest property prices in the country - with many houses lying empty, as the population continues to decline.

The good news - they were Champions in the top flight First Division in 1960.
    And they hate Blackburn Rovers.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]
    Lloret de Mar (Spain)
    Oh - you wanna do Spain?

Madrid - all of it. Dirty stinking fucking shithole
    Benidorm - Horrible beyond words. Like someone's physically removed the North of England, condensed it into a few square miles and dropped it into a furnace
    Cadiz - Well, it's a port... so if you've not been there, imagine Portsmouth or Southampton - only hotter, and with moodier locals and worse sailors. It's so bad that, despite the beauty of the old part of town, you never want to spend more than an hour there.
    A Coruña - Spent a month there working in a bar. It's actually beautiful - but quite possibly the dullest place on Earth, and ALL the local kids are fucked out of their nuts on gear the whole time. Something like 35% unemployment
    Eibar - just like Coruna, only with the added fact that the locals are all Basques, and hate everyone from pretty much everywhere other than the Basque country
    Special mention to Barri Xines (you'll probably know it as Barrio Chino if you've been) in Barcelona - like stepping back in time to Soho in the seventies. Dump.
  • edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]Soho in the seventies.

I used to work on the Charing X Road, backing on to Soho in the 70s.

Loved the place, music and arty, lively market, great pubs and community spirit ...... like a proper village in the backyard of the anonymous city.
  • edited September 2010
    Was up bradford on saturday. Ended up getting the van pelted with bottles while driving. Absoloute dive.

Oldham
    gillingham
    newport
    paisley
    portsmouth
    chatham
    woolwich
    lewisham
    bermondsey
  • Just had to post on this one.

Selby in North Yorkshire is without doubt, one of the most depressing places I have ever been to.

In the whole town not one pub has the money to invest in Sky Sports, and the people generally have the intellectual capacity of a boiled cabbage.

Surprised that no-one has mentioned Stoke or Coventry though - they really are hovel's as well.
  • Redcar,Margate,Luton,Leicester,Catania and Shangai
  • [cite]Posted By: Kenny Achampong[/cite]Just had to post on this one.

Selby in North Yorkshire is without doubt, one of the most depressing places I have ever been to.

In the whole town not one pub has the money to invest in Sky Sports, and the people generally have the intellectual capacity of a boiled cabbage.

Surprised that no-one has mentioned Stoke or Coventry though - they really are hovel's as well.

As I woke this morning I remebered how shit Coventry and Stoke both are, and thought I should have mentioned them two! Good call
  • Sheerness, gillingham, thamesmead, lewisham, tottenham, stratford (east London) hull, middlesboro, dundee, glasgow, burnley, oldham, stoke, birmingham, merthyr, port talbot. Abroad, calais, marseille, paris, bucharest, johor baru, phuket
  • Criteria is mostly
    1 Town looks (architecture, scenery)
    2 Population (composition, attitude)
    3 Events (experienced, suffered)
    For me, in England, most of them Charlton away games, it's Luton, Birmingham, Leicester and Bradford (population), Wolverhampton and Nottingham
    (hostility), and although Brighton's oldies can't bother me (I'm a member), their numerous openly gay community is too provocative for me.
    In Europe it's more about city districts and suburbs being repulsive or frightening, but Brussels and Turin are really sad and ugly.
    And don't ever go to Gaza on holiday.
  • Telford town centre,

town planners forgot that some people might actually want to walk somewhere. No pavement, no individual shops,no theatre, just roundabouts and developments and chainstore shopping centres and travel lodges.
  • Agree with others, particularly on Stoke, Leicester, Croydon.

I'll add Slough, Harwich (for the continent) and Frinton (for the incontinent).
  • Sponsored links:

• Oh yeah, Telford. Not only is it horrible, but it's miles away from anywhere else.
  • Just remembered, Naples and Weston Super Mare (time it had it's name changed I think).
  • edited September 2010
    Bridgend specifically but most parts of South Wales would qualify.
  • edited September 2010
    And Chatham.
  • Can I ask why Chatham? Having lived in Medway for a number of years I can confirm it is awful but Chatham is not the worst town there. Just wondering if people actually have reasons for mentioning it or if it's the whole chav thing?
  • In our own backyard, I think Erith is the the prize winner. Dartford, Bromley and Woolwich can't compare and the only other place that comes close is Plumstead.
  • Brighton. Full of wanna be artists/musicians who think the world owes them a living. Massive Heroin problems. London by the sea???
  • Shoreditch, want to be artists trendy rich kids and thieves.
    [cite]Posted By: colthe3rd[/cite]Can I ask why Chatham? Having lived in Medway for a number of years I can confirm it is awful but Chatham is not the worst town there. Just wondering if people actually have reasons for mentioning it or if it's the whole chav thing?
    So it's awful but shouldn't be on a list of crap towns? Far nicer places have made the list.
  • Gillingham is a lot lot worse than Chatham.
  • Not saying it shouldn't be on the list it just seems to be mentioned more than other places, Strood anyone?