Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life's ultimate " Crap Towns" list.

Comments

• Options
    Stayed in a hotel in Preston on the way up to Scotland,
    its a Dive of a town
  • Options
    I'm nominating Swindon. Seemed perfectly fine the first few times I went there, but noticed on my last visit there, for the Play Off semi-final last season, that a worryingly large number of locals had severe dental problems - yellow teeth, black teeth, wonky teeth, no teeth.

Personally, I've always found that widespread dental problems are a good indication of a town being crap. Prevalence of shellsuits is also a bit of a giveaway, and I saw plenty of those around the County Ground as well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Also agree with comments about Bradford, been there quite a lot with work in the last couple of years and I quite like it, plenty of character, though it gets worse the further you get from the town centre.

i go along with that view.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]I'm nominating Swindon. Seemed perfectly fine the first few times I went there, but noticed on my last visit there, for the Play Off semi-final last season, that a worryingly large number of locals had severe dental problems - yellow teeth, black teeth, wonky teeth, no teeth.

Personally, I've always found that widespread dental problems are a good indication of a town being crap. Prevalence of shellsuits is also a bit of a giveaway, and I saw plenty of those around the County Ground as well.

agree completely - last year's visit was the first time i'd really walked around a bit and i know football grounds aren't normally in the greatest of areas, but it was a hole. Walked into one pub and thought i was in an episode of Shameless.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The 2013 list. I'm Gutted that the hole that is Luton didn't make the 2013 list but at least Croydon made it.

1. Hull
    Mike says: “I was born and bred in Hull and can honestly say you’re bang on with your description. What a f**king dump this place is”

2. Middlesbrough
    Jimi says: “I have lived on the outskirts of Boro for 29 years and would never dream of living within Boro itself, it really is a s**thole”

3. Bradford
    Faggy says: “I have had the misfortune of living in the Bradford area for most of my life and can honestly say anyone disagreeing with this has either never been there, is delusional, or is a smacked up chav”

4. Croydon
    Anonymous says: “Croydon and many parts of the UK are descending into s**t with this underclass of backward sheep filth that are the chavs – and this is the future of the country – we are f**ked”

5. Hackney
    Anonymous says: “I’m staying with a friend who lives in Hackney (near Hackney Ctrl Tube Station)… is it really the worst place in the UK”

6. Gravesend
    bigupboi says: “Gravesend is populated by the most grotesque, loathsome, vile and vulgar sub-human vermin that one could ever have the misfortune to come across. The vast majority of its inhabitants (chavs and pikies) are foul, hateful, and degraded beings who, in evolutionary terms, have not evolved much from the amoeba”

7. Salford
    Anonymous says: “I’ve lived in Salford for 21 years and seen it go from crap to even crapper. Anyone stupid enough to use public transport in Salford will most certainly agree that the M10 and 67 buses are scary”

8. Nottingham
    Jaded Agoraphobic says: “I’ve lived there all my life and I don’t think I’ve ever been into town, day or night, without seeing someone being attacked or harassed, or some dregs of society having it out in the street”

9. Stoke-on-Trent
    Anonymous says: “How can you describe Stoke? Well if the actual World needed an enema, Stoke-on-Trent would be where they shove the pipe”

10. Barking & Dagenham
    Anonymous says: “Dagenham has all the charm of a fetid pool of primordial muck. If Chav heaven is in Romford, then Dagenham is the gateway between heaven and hell”

• Options
    Harlow

Blackpool

Birkenhead

Stevenage
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Preston, passed through it on a coach once and it was a s***hole. Terraced houses all boarded up and left to rot, coach station was one almighty eyesore as well.
    I saw a post office there and the front sign said "cemetery post office", I thought what pensioner would want to collect their pension from there?

Also, as I live there, so I suppose i'm allowed to say it, i'll say Charlton, apart from the valley.
    Cherry Orchard, springfield, victoria way, even after they've just all revamped most of the blocks, still can't hide that there dumps.
  • Options
    Dunstable, fill of idiots and where I got my jaw broke a decade or more ago
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Barking is an absolute dump.

A multi cultural piss bucket.

(I am including British white before anyone gets on the saddle)
  • Options
    Basingstoke (amazingstoke it ain't)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Felixstowe
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Basingstoke (amazingstoke it ain't)

Nah your not having that one, I can think of a dozen or more places from the top of my bonce a hundred times worse than Basingstoke.

It may be a tad boring but not crap in the conventional sense
  • Options
    I've been there for work three times, on my foray into the town I have seen many a sight including, fat pisshead stealing from primark, ugly teen stealing from Sainsbury and a group of about 15 or so 60 plus year olds walking round with cans of tenants smoking green whilst topless. Tis not a nice town.... I live in Horsham though so quite different.
  • Options
    danny_m said:

Preston, passed through it on a coach once and it was a s***hole. Terraced houses all boarded up and left to rot, coach station was one almighty eyesore as well.
    I saw a post office there and the front sign said "cemetery post office", I thought what pensioner would want to collect their pension from there?

Also, as I live there, so I suppose i'm allowed to say it, i'll say Charlton, apart from the valley.
    Cherry Orchard, springfield, victoria way, even after they've just all revamped most of the blocks, still can't hide that there dumps.

Not sure about Preston. Been there a few times watching us and it's not as bad as some places.
  • Options
    Luton, Oldham, Coventry.
  • Options
    Newton Abbot - beautifully situated, horribly populated

Hemel Hempstead - the Buncefield explosion actually caused improvements

Jaywick - even looking on Google Streetview made me nervous; the poorest place in the UK

• Options
    I didn't think Hull was that bad. I'm surprised that Coventry didn't make the list.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Catford is the only place I dislike going to. Almost every time I'm there something bad happens.

I live there and have to agree, i'm so used to it though. It opened my eyes when my friend came down from Glasgow as he originates from here and I was in the cafe when his wife commented on the people making her sick. I looked and then every person walking past was holding a can of beer, seemed inbreded or both.
    Saying that, Bellingham (if it counts as a town) is even more weird.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I've been there for work three times, on my foray into the town I have seen many a sight including, fat pisshead stealing from primark, ugly teen stealing from Sainsbury and a group of about 15 or so 60 plus year olds walking round with cans of tenants smoking green whilst topless. Tis not a nice town.... I live in Horsham though so quite different.

Have to agree with Carter (tho' slightly biased as I live on the outskirts). In comparison to other towns of it's size, Basingstoke is actually quite innocuous. For a full on chav /mobility scooter / charity shop experience I find Bracknell town centre hard to beat...
  • Options

Jaywick - even looking on Google Streetview made me nervous; the poorest place in the UK

I know it's near Clacton, but is that the town where everyone lives in either a shack or a caravan? That would explain it being the poorest place - the average cost of a starter home there is £99.95 for a B&Q shed.
    On the plus side, they have some good art exhibitions in the old Martello Tower; they have been known to keep people entertained for up to ten minutes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Coventry

the sess pit of England's sess pit towns mentioned above , aint having Weymouth in there at all
  • Options
    Agree NLA. I've had some great times in Weymouth but I've never spent a minute in Coventry when I didn't want to be out of it.
  • Options
    I'd like to nominate Harpurhey.
    Had the displeasure of staying there when we played man city a few years ago.
    The "hotel" had a perimeter wall that would've been more of a challenge to those 6 greenpeace women than the shard.
    During our stay I was propositioned by a girl who couldn't have been older than 13.
    There were more drugs available than when I visited Amsterdam.
    We were ordered by the landlady of a local pub to get a taxi back to the hotel as it wasn't safe. It wasn't even a 5 minute walk.
    There was a body discovered in the boot of a car parked about 50 yards from our hotel.
    We were only there 2 nights.
    There was probably a nicer ambience in nearby HMP Strangeways than the streets of Harpurhey.
  • Options
    Stig said:

I know it's near Clacton, but is that the town where everyone lives in either a shack or a caravan? That would explain it being the poorest place - the average cost of a starter home there is £99.95 for a B&Q shed.
    On the plus side, they have some good art exhibitions in the old Martello Tower; they have been known to keep people entertained for up to ten minutes.
    Yes that's the one.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Cycle through Horsham quite regularly. Seen plenty of chavs there - including some little shitbag who tried to nick my bike from outside the co-op a few weeks back. Cycled through there yesterday, in fact - there were a bunch of right moody looking feckers outside a couple of the boozers.

I live in Reigate though... :)
  • Options
    Jaywick is the winner, Jesus Christ!
  • Options
    Rochdale and Burnley. Proper dives, only had the pleasure of spending the afternoon there for football. Hope it will be the only reason I've ever back there.
  • Options
    I've lived in Frindsbury near Strood for about 5 years now. The only people I've seen around the town have been families and normal people. Nothing chavvy at all. If you head out of town towards Darnley road then you'll see a lot of pond life there but I don't think they are representative of the town.

On the other hand, sit your back side on a bench in Chatham high street for half hour, during a normal work day afternoon and you will see the entire cast of Jeremy Kyle and worse beyond. I worked there for about 3 months and every day I would see chavs drinking super Ts, tramps drinking super Ts, druggies near the station, 14 year old girls wearing velour tracksuits pushing their babies around.

Strood versus Chatham. It's not even a close contest.
  • Options
    Anyone who went Rochdale in 2011/12, about 500 or so I believe, will want this in the list!!
  • Options
    Only just seen this thread, so flicked through the whole thing. How Nathan has nominated Bristol is beyond me. An awesome city.