Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Adkins appointed Saints Manager, wait - no he hasnt

bugger. Very good appointment.

Comments

• Options
    indeed, he appears a very good manager
  • Options
    Hopefully Pardew signed enough rubbish players for them that there's nothing Adkins will be able to do to fix it.

We can dream.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Continued proof that the gulf between the bigger more desirable clubs in League 1 are not much different to most of the Championship clubs. The difference is often nothing more than one good/bad season. Southampton are a far more desirable club than Scunthorpe and in the long run will be much higher than them too. I feel Charlton are regarded as one of the bigger clubs outside the Premier League and if ever our managerial post was vacant then it would be considered a step up in size to many Championship managers.
  • Options
    He's twice taken Scunny up with less resources available.

Soton were always the bookies favs to go up and this won't change that at all.

Annoyed as I am I'm as an Addick I'm glad that an young English manager has got the job.
  • Options
    Shame, thats one promotion position definetly gone. Very good appointment......
  • Options
    I'm always wary of whether 'one club' managers can transfer their skills, set up and beliefs to another club.

I think he appears a decent manager, but lets see if he can transfer it to a bigger club with bigger expectations.

I'm not 100% convinced.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I'm always wary of whether 'one club' managers can transfer their skills, set up and beliefs to another club.

I think he appears a decent manager, but lets see if he can transfer it to a bigger club with bigger expectations.

I'm not 100% convinced.

agree with afka ... apparently parky was good at colchester , still waiting for the good one to turn up here !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I'm always wary of whether 'one club' managers can transfer their skills, set up and beliefs to another club.

I'm not 100% convinced.

agree with afka ... apparently parky was good at colchester , still waiting for the good one to turn up here !

Funny that as there is another current example that most people outside Charlton, rightly or wrongly, would cite instead.
  • Options
    Good appointment and bad news for our promotion hopes I think.
  • Options

I'm not 100% convinced.

Very good point, there are a lot of examples of managers never being able to re-capture the same form that they put together at the club where they made their initial impact.

Parkinson put that to bed last year - for me he did anyway - but you could certainly argue that the likes of Aidy Boothroyd and probably three or four more who never repeated their early success.

Adkins will never have dealt with "big name" players before, how will he cope with that challenge?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    we got to a semi final in the play offs in league one mate,proved nothing yet.
  • Options
    BBC Radio Solent reporting that a "hitch" has happened over compensation.
  • Options
    I imagine there was next to zero pressure on him at Scunthorpe where at at Soton it will be quite large, will be interesting to see how he copes.
  • Options
    Up as Champions unless they lose a couple of games and Cortese goes into a QPR style spin of lunacy.
  • Options
    Would have been my choice for us. Shame
  • Options
    Think it'll be a good appointment but for the reasons AFKA said it doesn't guarantee they'll go up.
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]Would have been my choice for us. Shame
    If Parky had gone I'd have been happy with Adkins but I'm not sure he'd have come here. Southampton have no debts, money to spend and long term ambitions to get back to the Prem. We're just taking things one season at a time. Maybe he would have come here, but given the choice a manager would find th Southampton job much more attractive.
  • Options
    We have withdrawn our offer according to Sky Sports and Solent.

Shame, had the potential to be a good appointment for Saints.
  • Options
    He'll certainly have to hit the ground running, 4 of his first 5 games are away, including trips to Swindon, MK Dons and Sheff Weds, probably 3 of the tougher away games in this division. No time to get to know the players, expectant fans, even more expectant chairman, compared to the relative calm of Scunthorpe it could be a nightmare.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saints fan[/cite]We have withdrawn our offer according to Sky Sports and Solent.

What's the hold up? Do Southampton want him to resign so you don't have to pay Scunny compensation?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saints fan[/cite]We have withdrawn our offer according to Sky Sports and Solent.

What's the hold up? Do Southampton want him to resign so you don't have to pay Scunny compensation?

Yep, that would have appeared to be the hold up.

It wouldn't have stopped us from paying compo, so I don't really see what Cortese's problem is.

I suspect we will end up with someone like Phil Brown which would be good news for League One, bad news for Saints.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SAINTS' move to make Nigel Adkins their new manager looks to be in serious doubt.

Sc**thorpe chairman Steve Wharton has claimed that the 45-year-old is refusing to resign from his job with the Iron, which he alleged Saints wanted him to do in order to avoid a compensation payment.

First thing today, Sc**thorpe put out a statement saying Adkins - who is understood to be on a 12 month rolling contract - and his right hand man Andy Crosby had agreed terms to join Saints after talks yesterday.

It was subject to the two clubs agreeing a compensation package.

But Iron chairman Wharton said this morning that the deal had not gone through.

“The situation is that Nigel was given an ultimatum last night by Southampton to resign and accept their offer," said Wharton.

“But Nigel was not prepared to do that. He wanted to walk out of Glanford Park with his head held high and everything agreed.

“I have tried to contact the Southampton chairman today but have not been able to get hold of him.

“I was not prepared to roll over and let Nigel leave for nothing.

“I wanted some compensation for what I felt he was worth. It was only a modest amount.

“From a selfish point of view I will be happy if Nigel stays with us.

“But I also feel very sorry for Nigel if this was a move that he had set his heart on.

“The Southampton people have been very difficult to deal with.

“They are probably not the right sort of people for Nigel to be working with.

“But at the moment I am not exactly sure what the situation is until I have talked further to Nigel.”

Cortese is a bit of a nutter!

Good news for us!
  • Options

what is that axiom again?

Oh yeah, when it is 100% done then it is done, until then it's not done.
  • Options
    Selfishly hope it falls through from a Charlton perspective but more importantly, well done Adkins for having such admirable principles if that's the case. Potentially a great step for him (though AFKA's point is valid). If Saints had identified their man and all but got him, then what a silly way to throw it all away, gaining a bad reputation in the process. Don't think the job Adkins has done over several seasons can be over-estimated; tremendous sustained achievement. If it still goes through, I wonder if he'll take Josh Wright with him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

what is that axiom again?

Oh yeah, when it is 100% done then it is done, until then it's not done.

AND.. it's on the OS......
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Saints fan, it wouldn't have stopped you from paying compensation but you'd have negotiated it out with the possibility of it going to arbitration. Everyone knows by not paying up front you'll be able to offer a miserly ammount, which has the leverage of the other side of the deal being a long drawn out process which will probably pay out a miserly sum anyway. Quite despicable business practice that the strong always play out on the weak. No doubt something that any club does at some point, but something not acceptable. Both the LMA, football league and premiership should have strict rules on this which are watertight in manager's contract. Bolton did it to Burnley.... fine if you pay but not if you encourage quite underhand techniques.

Well done to Adkins showing a bit of loyalty to the club that gave him a chance, when virtually no other league team would have. I have to add Adkins energy on the touch line, and his choice of competitive players aligned with some skill was most impressive when he came to the Valley. It made an utter mockery of Pardew's foolishness in thinking he could assemble a side all of players who looked to someone else to put pressure on. Adkins would easily improve any Pardew side, and not keep on adding dream players to the detriment of position and desire.
  • Options
    wouldn't surprise me now if Adkins decided not to take the job anyway. He seems like a man of honour and won't do the dirty on Scunthorpe. Saints are acting like Norwich did when luring Lambert from Colchester. He walked and it took Col U months, after going to a tribunal, to get adequate compensation. As I said at the time Narwich wanted Ray Lewington to resign from Fulham and take the job but, as with Adkins, Ray is a decent bloke and refused to do as Norwich wished. Lambert obviiously wasn't so principled. Why do a Club like Saints think they can nick another Manager without agreeing a fee first. Serve them right if they appoint Brown now.
  • Options
    still expect Adkins to end up at the Saints
  • Options
    There's only one thing for it now...

Dowie.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]

“I have tried to contact the Southampton chairman today but have not been able to get hold of him.“
    He's dead
  • Options
    I really know it shouldnt Valley but, that did make me chuckle.