Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

stay or go?

Comments

• Options
    To all those who keep asking, who would we get to take over? There's some bloke in Abridge who's probably getting a bit bored with pruning his roses by now. He's itching to get back into management but has failed to do so. He's already very rich, so money wouldn't be much of an issue. What the man needs right now is a new challenge.
    His appointment would be like an injection of adrenaline into our ailing club.
    He would take this group of talented players, get them organised and mould them into a winning team, full of confidence and pride.
    Please make the call Mr Murray before it's too late, you've shown great loyalty and patience to Parky but it's time to concede that things are getting worse not better. Time is not on our side.
  • Options
    Bloody he'll Dave, get a hobby. I've never said I was happy, far from it, performances this season have not been good enough and we all know that.

That being said, I'm not totally surprised by the points we've got and where we sit in the table. Of course I'd like us to be top of the tree and playing like Brazil every week but it's not going to happen.

I asked those questions to try and gain some perspective and although you didn't answer it would seem that you do think we shouldve lost less than 2 games etc etc. Fine that's your call.

Don't understand your tone at all though. Maybe it's because you got your name put on the back of a Charlton training coat and RM gave the job to Parky rather than you, leaving you a bit out of pocket!

And by the way if we lose 10 games all season I'd be delighted, even if we finish 25 points behind the leaders I'd be delighted because we can still go up. I've seen nothing in this league so far that suggest there is anyone good enough to go on an unbelievable run so I still have some hope. If we had lost to County, Tranmere and Daggers then I'd be asking more serious questions.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited September 2010
    And by the way I'm not pro Parky, just anti-knee jerk! I know it's been crap over the past 5 years but we done better than we all expected all in all last year and there is no reason we can't do the same thus year. I'm gutted that goal went in in the 93rd minute because CL Sunday would be a much happier place.
  • Options
    We are starting to sound like Spurs fans.

How hard can it be to understand? We are in a position where we have no money. With a really disjointed squad last season we missed out on second on the last day of the season. We went out of the playoffs via a penalty shoot out.

Parkinson has taken Colchester out of this division, but he is not a miracle worker. He had his hands tied last summer, and some of this, by some of the huge wages we had hanging over from players Pardew signed that were not even good enough for the third division, even though they were earning more than most Championship players.

This is the first time that Parky has been able to build a squad anything like what he wants. He has had that side together for a few weeks now. If we get rid of him now they we will have another season (or two) of a manager working with another manager's players.

The real question, however, is who could we afford and attratct to come to manage a Charlton team in the third division with third division players, no money and a hard core of fans that expect us to win every week and that will demand the manager be sacked if we are not top of the table with a squad assembled with much less money than teams below us?

Why would anyone (other than unemployed managers with nothing to lose) want to take us on.

I've said on another thread if you want to (and I mean demand to) win every week then maybe you should consider watching Chelsea or Man Utd. We are in a transition period, we seem to have stopped falling but that doesn't automatically mean that we have a right to climb out of this division.

We haven't paid any kind of a fee for two and a half years. Before Bensen the last player we paid more than £100k for was Bailey and he has gone. The last player we paid a fee for that we still have was signed in the summer of 2007.
  • Options
    .... Parkinson has hardly been given many resources up to now and I think the squad will come good.

Let's give the man a chance otherwise I suspect we will end up chopping and changing managers as we fall out of the football league.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite] I'm gutted that goal went in in the 93rd minute because CL Sunday would be a much happier place.

Yes it would for some but it would have disguised another very poor (last 60 minutes) performance.
  • Options
    Agreed Stone and I'm the first (after Dave Rudd, coach extraordinaire) to admit that our performances have been awful but I'm still clinging on to that bit of hope that if we continue to grind out results (not draws against Tranmere/Daggers obviously) then there will be a point when it clicks.

Tuesday will be a benchmark for me, a team who has had a decent start to the season and who I consider ourselves to be at a similar level in this league(god that sounds depressing). I was always going to assess things after 10 games and if we lose the next two then it really is a problem in my opinion, if we get 4 points then I think we have made a decent if not spectacular start to the season with plenty of room for improvement. Promotion in this league is sealed after 46/49 games, not eight.

We know we have it in us, we've all seen the glimpses of it in matches. We just need the players and the management to draw it for 70 minutes plus (no teams play at the top level for 90 mins) and we'll get there.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sensible post kha. We have never gone on a losing run in League One with Parky in charge. We have some tough games coming up and it'll be interesting to see how we cope. We've seen its never as simple as not beating Exeter means you don't stand a chance against the better sides. We had draws and defeats last season against smaller aides but beat or at least competed with most of the better sides.

On Tuesday I'm now a bit worried if Anyinsah and Reid aren't fit we're not going go have many options. Hopefully none of he knocks from yesterday are serious.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Agreed Stone and I'm the first (after Dave Rudd, coach extraordinaire) to admit that our performances have been awful but I'm still clinging on to that bit of hope that if we continue to grind out results (not draws against Tranmere/Daggers obviously) then there will be a point when it clicks.

Tuesday will be a benchmark for me, a team who has had a decent start to the season and who I consider ourselves to be at a similar level in this league(god that sounds depressing). I was always going to assess things after 10 games and if we lose the next two then it really is a problem in my opinion, if we get 4 points then I think we have made a decent if not spectacular start to the season with plenty of room for improvement. Promotion in this league is sealed after 46/49 games, not eight.

We know we have it in us, we've all seen the glimpses of it in matches. We just need the players and the management to draw it for 70 minutes plus (no teams play at the top level for 90 mins) and we'll get there.

Completely agree.

We have had spells this season where we have played some good stuff. We just haven't done it for a sustained period.

Don't care who we are playing if we perform like we did in the first 20-25 mins yesterday we will cause anyone in this division problems.

All this Parky out bollocks needs to stop.

We cannot afford to remove him. If he was going to be dumped it would have been done at the end of the caretaker period. He's here till the end of his contract IMO.
  • Options
    All this he hasn't got any money bollox is crap , maybe compared to soton and brighton and one or two others but the likes of rochadale and oldham are hardly s pending big dough
    I'm sure our wage budget is gonna be up in the top 6 of this division
    Do we get the maximimum out of our players no and we haven't for a good few years and that is where the management and coaching come into blame
    Unless parky took a pay cut which I very much doubt cos we managed to fend off huddersfield from taking him , he will be the biggest earner at our club , has he earnt it no he hasn't and only promotion out of this pony shit dogwank league will even go some way to repaying the ridiculous amount of over faith mr murray has put in him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2010
  • Options
    I reckon he should be given till Christmas at least.
  • Options
    Kings Hill addick, It was a pleasure to read your post... A post that actually takes on board the major issue.. "Resources".. Those that Parky has had to work with... Something the "quick fixers" & "Knee jerkers" would never consider for a single minute as they hope that another change of manager is going to be the answer to all our problems...
    Our club has been on a decline for 6 years now. We have season on season always got more money in for players sales, opposed to those that were brought in, yet if you just went by the consensus of opinion on the wonderful www. it's all down to team management... They were all "bad managers",with "poor motivation", poor passion", "poor tactics", poor signings, and poorer resources... lol Poorer resources isn't true, is it?
    But it's hardly ever considered and when brought up, it makes no difference to some because our latest manager (whoever he's been or will be) has to build a successful team with whatever he's left with and whatever he can afford to bring in...
    Some flavour of the month manager has done it elsewhere so why hasn't ours, is what the demand is then...
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I am still for Parky (but its swinging on a thread at the moment tbh)- I feel last season's efforts were honest and he won me over, you could see things were moving in the right direction and with a bit of luck here and there we could have made the Championship. This season despite a patchy start we are still only a couple of points off where it would be considered ok to be. On the flipside however we have failed to pick up a point at Exeter, dropped two at Tranmere and really should have buried Dagenham long before penalty became an issue, I felt we looked good in the first half but lacked the cutting edge to enhance our advantage and I said that that would bite us on the arse in the end.
    In the second half instead of coming out fired up we looked laboured and made a very dull Dagenham side look good in places- had it not been for Worner I think it's possible we could have lost the game and that would have been a real issue. It looked as if the side were not motivated in the second half and that is a big concern to me. Another worry is the lack of goals by strikers.
    It seems we go to sleep in defensive situations to often and at crucial times which is really troubling. Agonizingly though we are not far off being a decent side and I worry that axing Parky now (even if it were possible) could have an even more negative effect on an already fragile side.
  • Options
    joeaddick it is quite possible that all the managers have been bad. Just take a look at those managers now, are they at successful clubs? Have they been given budgets at other clubs and still couldn't do it? Maybe just maybe Parky is another one who just cant get the best out of his team no matter what the resources, I dont blame him for the relegation from the championship but he's got to hold his hands up to not getting promotion last year. Yes i know it was close but to be honest close wasn't good enough. Before the start of last season everyone thought we would lose most of our midfield, we didn't and he was left with a very strong squad for league one football. The reality is he didn't quite know how to get the best from that team and i'm afraid to say thats where he failed because its his job to know that. No promotion this year and there will be more players gone, more rebuilding and then it just goes on and on and on. I wouldn't wait much longer to realise its not going to happen.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite]Kings Hill addick, It was a pleasure to read your post... A post that actually takes on board the major issue.. "Resources".. .

I agree and you're 100% right Joe. If only we weren't hamstrung by competing in a league full of clubs owned by multi billionaires, pumping money in hand over fist with crowds much, much, bigger than ours every week we'd be right up there. As things stand though we just can't hope to compete with financial giants like Rochdale, Exeter, Bournemouth or Carlisle can we?

What a load of rubbish, most managers in this league would have been very happy to have the squad and resources Parky's had since he got the job after his lengthy (winless) trial run. Parky has had much more support from the board (and the fans) than his results have justified I'm afraid and we simply cannot afford to give him very much more time. This league is crying out for someone to grab it by the scruff of the neck and put a run of results together like Leeds or Norwich did last year but I have zero confidence that it's going to be us despite, IMO anyway, having on paper a squad well capable of doing so. For that you have to look towards the way the team is managed.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Alll this talk of "knee jerk" reactions? My reaction is far from knee jerk it is based on his entire tenure when he has done very little to justify his job in my mind starting from how he was awarded the job based on "judging" of some very non- plussed "results".

As for working with no money....the club is skint as are most of the clubs outside the top half of the premiership and certainly at our level have to get by on limited resources (ignoring for a moment the fact he had the biggest wage budget in the league last year and has just been given a quarter of a million to buy a striker and goalscorer who spent most of the first half by the touchline). Parky hasnt worked wonders with no money he has just done what most managers in the leagues outside the prem have to do and got on with it because i cant see any other clubs banging on his door offering him money to play with at other clubs.

I dont expect anything other than avoiding relegation as i can see the squad is weaker than it has ever been for the past few years. However we still have capable players but they arent being used correctly.

Ive tried to be positive about Parkinson this season but i wont anymore for the sake of it....I will judge him on results in the same way the board "supposedly" did when they appointed him and frankly they have been pretty poor...for every last minute heartbreaker against dagenham there has been a daylight robbery of notts county so it evens itself out. Awesome against orient but then catastrophe against Shrewsbury.

We are getting worse each season and mainly because we are skinter each year. All i am is saying i that i want RM to have a long and hard look for someone else because PP isnt the man to do it with ever decreasing resources as he is proving and as someone has pointed out we could end up another Luton.
  • Options
    Just dug out this old article from the Pards era. Sadly, it still applies today.

The Last Minute Winner
    It's Alan Pardew's first game in charge at The Valley and Charlton Athletic are fretfully defending a one goal advantage against Fulham. A dubious free-kick to the visitors leads to a frantic scramble in the Charlton box and a last gasp Queudrue equaliser. Pardew looks bereft. But he shouldn't be surprised.

Statistics tell us that it's the teams who are struggling who concede most late goals. Conversely, the teams at the top score more late goals. So what is the phenomenon of the last minute goal? Why is it that so many sides preoccupied with survival concede late on?

The pressure begins to build when the fourth official is poised pitch side. His board, revealing added time, shines through the gloom, but rarely lights up the night. Whatever the circumstances, fans always respond as if the event itself catches them by surprise, thus adding to the general tension.

From the demeanour of a side defending a perilous lead you can recognize the fear. The fear of added time has seized them. Time added seems more potent than normal time, which is predetermined. It becomes charged time, time lost or gained. It seems to have a life of its own, but note how managers, flourishing their own watches, want to impose their own 'time'. So, in these condensed moments, the players' fears become magnified.

They are afraid of making the mistake that will cost them the game. They fear the late goal. Fear eats the soul

Players become desperate to not err. To not be the one responsible for dropping crucial points. But then it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. And the more the players fear making a mistake, the greater the chance of doing so. The players draw negative energy from the crowd's anxiety. Tension leads to the kind of pressure which causes loss of concentration. The players are no longer in the moment where focus is sharp and concentration is keen, mentally, they have reached the final whistle and attained the sanctuary of the dressing room. Sharp opponents will sense this and press forward.

Once a side starts conceding late goals it can become a habit, a norm. So much so that they expect it, almost anticipate it, in a perverse kind of way. Added time means screw up time. It confirms their low self image. The late goal virus has set in. This virus contaminates the minds of the players.

The stoppage time goal reinforces the teams belief that they are unlucky. It engenders an excuse environment, where failure is always someone else's fault. It creates another hard luck story. They console themselves that everything is against them, including time. This victim mind-set enables the team to feel sorry for itself and wallow in destructive self-pity. The self-pity contrives to disguise the real issues that lead to failure. Self-pity creates cliques and absolves players of personal responsibility.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]dont expect anything other than avoiding relegation as i can see the squad is weaker than it has ever been for the past few years.
    Then why would you want him out? The way we're going we look like a mid table team at the moment.
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]As for working with no money....the club is skint as are most of the clubs outside the top half of the premiership and certainly at our level have to get by on limited resources (ignoring for a moment the fact he had the biggest wage budget in the league last year
    Did he have the biggest budget last year? What were Norwich, Southampton and Leeds budgets?

How much of that wage budget did Moutaouakil, McLeod, Sinclair, Fleetwood and Dickson take up? At least £1m as we know at least the first two were on fairly big wages and the other 3 weren't cheap either.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite]Kings Hill addick, It was a pleasure to read your post... A post that actually takes on board the major issue.. "Resources".. .
    As things stand though we just can't hope to compete with financial giants like Rochdale, Exeter, Bournemouth or Carlisle can we?
    We have competed with Bournemouth... We didn't lose...
    Most managers in this league have not had to rebuild a brand new squad of around 20 new players...
    I'm sure there's one manager out there in "our league" that's no doubt probably falvour of the month that could though and get the required results to match... Anyone care to name one, for this month? I bet further down the line most of those names given will be vilified... Holloway anyone? The most useless manager ever at one point, the next he's a miracle worker...
    We can all bring up the odd name to back up our opinions... The facts on the other hand are still facts... The club has been on a decline for six years, and I don't believe the reasons for it are simply down to managers...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Joe he had to rebuild the squad because he didnt get us promoted last year after presiding over our relegation the prior season. We were awful most of last year and the fact we got to the playoffs shows how bad the other teams in the league were. He sold Shelvey because he deemed him too good? or because he could fit in the most creative player into a side that needed creativity....possibly going to be the same story with Martin this year.

As i have said before there are great managers and poor managers but i think for most it is down to the chemistry a manager has with a club in being able to get results and the best out of his players and resources at his disposal and i just dont think that PP has it with us.
  • Options
    Why not Chris Powell? West Brom gambled on Di Mitteo and that has paid off.
  • Options
    'Knee Jerk'?

We had a squad last year that should have seen us promoted - but Parky was unable to get the best out of those players.

We had, arguably, one of the best talents that the club has had in a very long time, yet he didn't work out how to use it to our advantage and ended up hardly playing him at all, when he could have made the difference.

Most damningly, he has spent what, in our predicament, is a fortune on a player that even to the non-expert eye looks to be a gamble not worth taking. He then compounds the problem by not playing to his strengths, thus removing any chance of that gamble paying off.

Now, I might not have a coaches jacket, but what does my nut in is the fact that if even a buffoon like me can see the obvious regarding Benson and Parkinson can't, then what, exactly, is the point of him being here? Maybe someone else might be able to bring a bit more tactical nous to what is still a good squad for this division (credit where credit is due to Parky on this point).

He has been in charge for long enough for me to decide he is not up to the job. Knee jerk? Don't make me laugh.
  • Options
    I think our knees have been jerking for 4-5 years now:-)
    Changes at the club are long overdue......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite] As for working with no money....the club is skint as are most of the clubs outside the top half of the premiership and certainly at our level have to get by on limited resources (ignoring for a moment the fact he had the biggest wage budget in the league last year

That is such a red herring. Of that massive wage budget we had Mou2 who was earning £416 a year, which is probably more than some of the teams in this division, and McLeod who was earning £312 a year. That means that of his massive budget there was almost three quarters of a million pounds on wages for two players that we would have given away if someone would have taken them. This is bourne out by the fact that we paid them both to leave this summer and neither of them have found a club to employ them at all since. Add to that the fact that we had Bailey, Shelvey, Racon, Semedo and Spring last season. All high earners that play in the same position. As a consequence Spring didn't play, Shelvey and Bailey were played out of position. It was no secret that the club were trying to off load a high earner for a decent fee to that they could bring in a decent striker. In fact Basey was another that was earning way too much for this division - another player that hasn't found another club yet.

Wages that were agreed by someone else (particularly Pardew) have no realistic relationship with the talent on offer. When you consider that Semedo, Racon and Youga are earning over £1m between them it is no surprise that we have a big wage bill. Youga missed most of last season (he's two weeks away from missing a whole year) so you can't exactly expect Parkinson to get much value for his wages (rumoured to be £300k plus a season).

In fact I'd go as far as to say that these players wages have been a burden on the clubs resources. I seroiusly doubt that we (or any other third division club) would ever agree to pay those three players what they are earning now.
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]joeaddick it is quite possible that all the managers have been bad. Just take a look at those managers now, are they at successful clubs?

To be fair Pardew had a year at Southampton and despite having some decent resources in the end they started off the season with no players and minus ten points, they won the JPT (which earned them £1m) and they only just missed out on the playoffs. If you apply that question literally you could say no about Curbs, he isn't with a successful club now, and he has been criticised for some of his signings at West Ham.
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]

I agree and you're 100% right Joe. If only we weren't hamstrung by competing in a league full of clubs owned by multi billionaires, pumping money in hand over fist with crowds much, much, bigger than ours every week we'd be right up there. As things stand though we just can't hope to compete with financial giants like Rochdale, Exeter, Bournemouth or Carlisle can we?

To be fair Bournemouth, there are there not many clubs in this division with c. £30m of debt to finance. I suspect that if Rochdale, Exeter, Bournemouth or Carlisle were burdened with the debts we had this time last year they would have gone out of business, let alone signing players to add to the highest wage bill in the division. Sure it's been reduced this season but with the costs of running The Valley that is averaging little more than 50% capacity this season we are hardly flush. The other clubs probably manage to negotiate lower wages than we do for obvious reasons, but I still maintain that the biggest difference is that we have been carrying excessive wages (for our current division) from the Pardew signings, and some of those before. I doubt, for example, that we were paying Lloyd Sam average third division wages.

The club has many problems, most of which have not been caused by Parkinson. If you look at it in isolation I would suggest that the Charlton Manager's job is probably becoming as much of a poison chalice as that of Newcastle, except that the salary at Charlton is probably 10% of that offered at Newcastle.

The kind of managers that would almost guarantee to improve things with us would demand huge salaries for himself and his team, and he would no doubt demand transfer fees to spend or he wouldn’t come. With that being the case, and with Parkinson being so close last season, and with some signs of encouragement this season if we sacked him we’d probably have to appoint someone that hasn’t managed a team that has won promotion from this division.

I guess it would have to be Breaker or Kinsella, neither of who have any managerial experience at all, and would have no money to make changes in the squad. I can't believe that we would do any better if we did that.
  • Options
    We should all BEG! for Curbs to come back lol! i would do anything for that!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: kings hill addick[/cite]I guess it would have to be Breaker or Kinsella, neither of who have any managerial experience at all, and would have no money to make changes in the squad. I can't believe that we would do any better if we did that.
    That last line is the biggest issue for me. Alternatively we could gamble on Damien Matthew, Chris Powell, Steve Brown or similar. Anything could happen, and things could easily get worse.

I think someone mentioned John Aldridge - he hasn't managed in nearly 10 years, and even then he has only managed one club. Would be a big gamble (has he even lived down in London before? would he want to) and he would need time. Lennie Lawrence was also mentioned. Does he even want to be a manager? He was Director of Football at Bristol Rovers and is now in some sort of consultancy role in non-league with Carshalton.

I can't see who is out there who is a clear improvement over Parky and would get almost instant results. Who could almost guarantee promotion? Other clubs don't need promotion like we do, they can give managers time with less pressure. Any manager we bring in is a gamble that could go either way.

Replace him with the wrong manager and we could lose whatever it is we have that makes us hard to beat. Things could get worse with a new manager.

I wouldn't want to see someone like Powell struggle like Les Reed. Then again someone like him might turn out to be a great manager. Should we take that gamble? I can see why the board haven't so far.
  • Options
    What was exactly Parkinsons role as assistant manager? he was certainly there when Pardew was buying all these rubbish players that have now so hamstrung Parkinsons ability to produce a team because of the cost of them.

Did he have no input at all into buying players that cost so much and served us so badly? Did he indeed have any influence at all? Was he there just to pole dance for the players?
  • Options
    I don't think it is fair to blame Parky for any of the players that Pardew brought in - remember, Pardew made the decisions, and the rest of the club had to (unfortunately) live with them. It seems unlikely that someone with an ego the size of Pardew's would have been the type to make decisions in a democratic way after consulting his staff!

Whatever role we may or may not think he played in the Pardew era is of no relevance. He should be judged on what has happened whilst he has been the one making the decisions. For what it is worth, I don't think it is fair to blame him for our relegation from the Championship, either. He had no time to influence that situation, but he has had long enough for us to judge his ability to get us out of League One.
  • Options
    I can't see Pardew as inviting anyone around him to have much input, although I am clearly speculating.