Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

stay or go?

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]I also find that I am always right and I told you all too

Smiley wink thingy

D the whole set up at the club is becoming a joke , took me nearly 20 mins 2 get a pint yesterday cant be having that.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I cannot see any sign that this team are moving in the right direction.

That for me is the heart of the issue. How many of us are prepared to say they think we are an improving team under Parky rather than one that is getting steadily worse over time? Not many I'd wager and if we are to prosper or even just survive we cannot afford to be standing still at best. I completely understand the views of those argueing he should be given more time but the point they seem to be missing is that we just don't have the time to give. Another season or two at this level and we could be looking at staying at this level, or worse, for the next 10-15 years with all the inherent financial risks that brings. Not a prospect I'm happy to consider just so can we look back and say "We'll at least we gave Parky a fair chance..."

It's a wierd old division this year but someone is going to put a run together and we absolutely must not get left behind when it comes. Another 5 games max for me and then maybe we'll need to act.
  • Options
    seriously i feel the club is not heading in the right direction and it is becoming worrying the present squad of players are parkys and if things dont get better he must be held responsible he signs em he plays em if they dont produce its because they aint no good, he therefore should take the blame he seems a nice enough bloke but as they say nice guys dont always win.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: boogica[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]I also find that I am always right and I told you all too

Smiley wink thingy

D the whole set up at the club is becoming a joke , took me nearly 20 mins 2 get a pint yesterday cant be having that.

It takes a lot longer if your waiting for nla to get one in.
  • Options
    Cheeky bstd
  • Options
    On the plus side we are a couple of decent results from being in the promotion chase - but, it isn't as though we are playing well and not getting the results and more importantly and we've chucked points away against teams that are struggling. Any team with promotion ambitions should beat (even scrappily) teams like Notts County, Tranmere, Exeter and D&R, those matches should be bankers for three points. That we've dropped points against these teams makes our current position look in my eyes weaker than it is in reality.

In terms of time...I'd give Parky until mid-November and re-assess. If we are still struggling then it's time to bite the bullet. Who would replace him? Steve Cotterill was a good suggestion but I doubt he'd walk out on Pompey after a few months.
  • Options
    Ha ha nice reply
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dear Doctor Charlton-Life,

I have been sitting very still and keeping my fingers, arms, legs and toes crossed for about four years now.

But I am starting to experience an almost uncotrollable twitching in my leg. Since I've been sitting so nice and still, everything around me just seems to have gotten worse and worse. I've got a horrible feeling I can't keep still for very much longer. I'm trying but I fear that my knee is about to jerk. If it does jerk uncontrollably, I don't suppose it will change anything around me. But it might help ease the pain in my leg joints. Then with any luck we can resume sitting nice and still again until we're in the Blue Square League.

Your advice would be gratefully received. Is there anything I shouild be taking for this ailment?

I.A.
  • Options
    Hard drugs.
  • Options
    Dear Incorruptible
    This is really self-inflicted, your current doctor has been looking after you for two years and your condition has worsened considerably. Just because he's a good bloke you shouldn't give him a job for life. You need to make some tough decisions before the condition becomes inoperable.

Regards
    A.Quack
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At Charlton, over the years we have had some managers who have managed to get the most out of our players and turn them into a real team. The team being more than the sum of its parts. Curbs and Lennie Lawrence being prime examples.

Parkinson does not strike me as one of those managers. He is an average manager with poor to average team selections, who gets an average response out of an average team. The result is average / mid table. Unfortunatly, average is not going to halt our decline. If we don't go up this year, we will lose more good players and get in more poor to L1 average players and we are looking at L1 relegation dog fight. This at a time when the gaps between the divisions are growing with the sky distribution of money.

It is a new team, and Parkinson does claim it will get better, but how soon will that be ? Will it be too late ? Will Kelly Youga coming back into the team allow for Jackson to step into midfield to make a difference ?
  • Options
    I'd give it a few more games but i think the fact that he didn't sign some more attacking CENTRAL midfield options is going to cost him.
  • Options
    we are going backwards, things are not improving. In my eyes we have a good enough squad for the top six at least, top two with a fair wind. Players like Martin and Reid are as good as any in this League. Problem is we have a Manager who can't form a decent team out of them, is tactically inept and can't motivate. Go now I say but then again I said he shouldn't have been appointed when Pardew left. What have we done since ? People state the fact we have had to rebuild the squad twice. That is his fault. Took us down and then failed to get us promoted with a squad that was good enough despite a lack of forwards. He has readdressed that issue but seems to have spunked the only serious money he has spent (Benson) up the wall. Not the fact he hasn't scored yet but he hasn't looked remotely like doing so and it seems we are not even playing to his strengths (his old manager says so and he should know as he scored bundles for him). Nope Parky has been lucky to last this long. It's Murray's club now and Murray's money too and he knows more than anyone that if we fail to go up this season things will only get worse and we will be stuck here for years or, worse still, relegated again. Murray isn't a fool. This season will be our best chance to get out of League 1 for ages. Can he trust Parky to deliver that ? And how much time can he give him ? It may cost to sack him but the cost of failure again will far outweigh that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]It may cost to sack him but the cost of failure again will far outweigh that.
    Only if we manage to find a better manager of course. And one who doesn't need much time and his own players to get results.
  • Options
    i think the charlton of a few seasons ago should be consigned to memory now. great as those memories were, they are just that. time now to face facts. we are a well supported club in a very competitive league (nobody is running away with anything this season). we are very much seen as a scalp for the so-called smaller clubs and as such are in a big club v's small club match most weekends, that tends to bring out the competitiveness in the opposing players and fans. fan base means less at this level, look at wednesday's season so far. big clubs these days means bigger debts and to me that appears to be proving to be a great leveler. some of our players are good, some are average and some are poor, as seen at every other club in this league. it is important to have the right manager, but whose to say whether whether what is needed is an experienced manager of 'big' clubs or a lower league manager that is stepping up a level, or no change at all. the unfortunate thing is anyone with a successful record in football costs big money and were not in a position to afford either.

if it was me with millions invested in this club, would i throw in a few more at the risk of losing it all or call it a day? just glad im not soon-to-be poor murray.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    What happened the last time we changed managers mid-season, we sacked Dowie got Uncle Les and proceeded to become a joke! Pardew came in and nearly pulled off the great escape.

Knee jerk reactions do not work, a new manager now wouldn't be able to make any changes until January other than loans and we all know how bad they can be and we have NO MONEY so any new manager wouldn't be able to make wholesale changes anyway.

Parky got us to the playoffs last season, and although Saturday was very disappointing, we need to back him. It's easy to blame the ref but a better official may have meant 3 points.
  • Options
    wrong. A better team performance might have meant three points. As for a knee-jerk reaction - LOL. Look back at the threads when Parky was appointed and when he went on his long losing run. 2 years is hardly knee-jerk.
  • Options
    Serious bloodlust going on
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]wrong. A better team performance might have meant three points. As for a knee-jerk reaction - LOL. Look back at the threads when Parky was appointed and when he went on his long losing run. 2 years is hardly knee-jerk.

It would be knee jerk a handful of games into the new season IMO, look at Southampton, ok they won yesterday but their form under Adkins hasn't improved since Pardew was sacked.
  • Options
    Thing is, and this is the biggie, we have no money. To remove Parkinson would take some cash that we don't have, and to bring someone else in to work with what we have... Well I'm not sure many managers who are of a higher calibre than Parkinson would want that so would require more money (which we don't have).

So whoever we bought in to replace Mr P would have their hands tied with no money.

There has to come a time when we stop blaming the manager and begin to look at the players who are dropping these points with a mixture of ineptitude and a lack of mental toughness or the ability to do as they are told.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I personally think it's the training which is the issue.

The players are useless at shooting. We rarely score amazing goals. Shots from outside the box are usually scuffed.

Generally our set pieces are poor. Yeah I know we scored one yesterday but that's not what normally happens. Also, keeping no players up the pitch when we are defending corners causes us obvious problems every match.

The midfield cannot work in training as a unit. The number of times you see them in a game, spread too far apart with a massive gap in the centre of the pitch is shocking.

I could go on, but a decent coach would be a start.
  • Options
    I don't think showing Parkinson the door would be a knee-jerk reaction; he's been there nearly two years and has achieved nothing. As a club we are in the last chance saloon and a change of boss would stretch the finances even further. However, the choice is stark: stick with him and keep going down the pan or have one last gamble at changing things. I don't think Murray had debacles like yesterday in mind when he put in his latest injection of cash.
  • Options
    I agree with Screamer about the defending of corners. I find it very strange to have all 10 outfield players back in the box for corners, which happened more than once yesterday. Absolutely no out ball. As someone seated near me called out yesterday, "we're not playing effing Chelsea for Christ sake"!
  • Options
    Knee jerk--------Knee jerk ??????????????????????? the only jerking being done was Parky onhimself while hiding in the cupboard for the whole time he was pardews number 2. Which must have affected the Directors who apointed him the manager after being the worst care taker manager in the club(or any clubs)history , then took us down 13 points adrift of safety and still gave him another contract even though we never went up last year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes it must be a knee-- jerk reaction from us fans.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WestStandCookie[/cite]

It would be knee jerk a handful of games into the new season IMO, look at Southampton, ok they won yesterday but their form under Adkins hasn't improved since Pardew was sacked.

who do you think will finish the highest?
  • Options
    The knee jerkers & quick fixers said the same things about Curbs, Dowie, Reed, Pardew and now Parky.. Just dig up all the old threads on any message board.. The proofs there...
    Five managers and the same old criticisms & insults, by probably the same fans who would one week chant Super, Super Al, Super Alan Pardew then the following week jump in on a "he has to go" thread. If that's not knee jerk, what is?
    Four new managers and not a jot of difference... So what are our chances of getting the right manager, right now, appointed by the same person who appointed the other "useless" lot?
  • Options
    Well the First real Genuine Parkie out Thread after 8 Games. Personally i think it is still a bit too early but the next few games are massive for the Manager. The fans have not turned as yet but we are fast approaching that point. Tuesday is a must win for the Manager.
  • Options
    the knives will definately be out if we lose tomorrow night
  • Options
    Agreed that tommorow is 'IT' for Parky, he won't go if we lose but even the waverers/fence-sitters will probably start shifting if we don't at the very least perform better than we did at the weekend.
  • Options
    I might set up a stall selling white hankerchiefs to wave at him.

Should sell like hot cakes.